• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, someone should contact bishoptl for one of his usual "verification PM". Also, to be really honest, there should be a way to make it so bishoptl and the source itself can talk about it, to get a verification that is as clear as it can get.

The_Lump

Banned
Worth bearing in mind that UE4 can run on pretty much anything. And it's not unusual for a developer to say something they are working on looks good visually ;)

Whilst it's nice to get a leak/some info (if true of course); this doesn't present confirmation of anything outside of devs having or waiting for devkits.

Hermii

Worth bearing in mind that UE4 can run on pretty much anything. And it's not unusual for a developer to say something they are working on looks good visually ;)

Whilst it's nice to get a leak/some info (if true of course); this doesn't present confirmation of anything outside of devs having or waiting for devkits.
Yea this "leak" is pretty much obvious stuff, that's true wether the leaker is legit or not.

Rodin

UE4 still wasn't on the Wii U until a third party dev ported the engine for a 2D indie game, so if Epic bothered this time it must mean something, especially considering we're talking about a current gen game here (and a "technically impressive" one on top of that). Also, Dragon Quest XI.

While i would advise against being too positive about this, it's obvious at this point that the Wii U speculation and the 4 years of deepest negativity that followed ruined the perception about anything Nintendo for too many people, and to a point where a good news must be a fantasy scenario or something that could and should be spinned as bad or at least meaningless to avoid future disappointment. I'm sure that if the leak was "dev wants to port game on NX, can't do that because specs are too low" we would have already had 20 pages on the subject.

How would UE4 work on the NX Handheld (if the shared platform theory pans out)? Would it automatically go to Mobile Mode?

mmm.... nope. :p

If that is the case, we could assume several things about this news if it turns out to be true.
This game is likely for a console only since a handheld would not use the standard version of UE4. This implies that the NX handheld and console are not at the same power level (or even close), and that the handheld will not be able to simply run all games with just a change of resolution.

Peru

3rd party is whatever. I'm happy if it's delivers next gen graphics in general, what it matches up to isn't important, what EA thinks about it doesn't matter to me, but I want Monster Hunter and Zelda and Metroid or whatever to look good.

The_Lump

Banned
UE4 still wasn't on the Wii U until a third party dev ported the engine for a 2D indie game, so if Epic bothered this time it must mean something, especially considering we're talking about a current gen game here (and a "technically impressive" one on top of that). Also, Dragon Quest XI.

While i would advise against being too positive about this, it's obvious at this point that the Wii U speculation and the 4 years of deepest negativity that followed ruined the perception about anything Nintendo beyond any stretch of the imagination for too many people. I'm sure that if the leak was "dev wants to port game on NX, can't do that because specs are too low" we would have already had 20 pages on the subject.

Err, no. It's just being rational. UE4 is massively scalable, so having a UE4 game running on a console means nothing beyond "there is a UE4 game running on this console".

It's positive news, just not an indication of technical specification.

Fwiw, I happen to he in the camp that thinks NX Home will be around X1 level specs on paper, with a few contemporary tweaks.

Peterc

Err, no. It's just being rational. UE4 is massively scalable, so having a UE4 game running on a console means nothing beyond "there is a UE4 game running on this console".

Fwiw, I happen to he in the camp that thinks NX Home will be around X1 level specs on paper, with a few contemporary tweaks.

Why are we saying xb1 and not ps4. I think xb1 power for handheld will be enough. But not for a console. It should at least have to be equal like ps4 and even better if possible.

Also i dont like port. Port are good to fill up the library, beside that I dont like ports from old games. I hope nx will get all NEW games + manu exclusive.

orioto

Good Art™
I guess Nintendo just finally understood that if they want to have multiplat games on their console, their tools have to make it virtually free and automatic for them. I mean it will probably never be, but i would guess working before the release with popular engine creator to assure things are suuuuper smooth and easy would be a key.

And i still think, if they had something really great to insure downport to their portable, and that it was powerfull enough to have convincing versions of recent games, it would be a drive cause i can see Ubi thinking "Assassin's creed on a Nintendo home console, we don't give a shit.. Now.. Assassin's creed on a portable for every kids out there to play it.. hmmm.. why not if it doesn't cost us a lot".

Why are we saying xb1 and not ps4. I think xb1 power for handheld will be enough. But not for a console. It should at least have to be equal like ps4 and even better if possible.

Also i dont like port. Port are good to fill up the library, beside that I dont like ports from old games. I hope nx will get all NEW games + manu exclusive.

What ? From what i understood Snapdragon 820 is way too expensive for a Nintendo portable, yet it's 588 gflops against 1,3gflops for the XBO.

Peterc

Beside all the tech terms. Its more important what they can show on screen.

Nintendo can have double the power of ps4 for the same price, even than it doesnt promise to sell good. Nintendo and MS doesnt have good advertising. Ps4 does and that is why it sells.

If I look at the commercials on TV, fifa call of duty... they are realy great and makes the impression that its only available on their systems. Thats one good reason why they having the best sales.

Peru

Don't get your hopes up then. There's no reason to believe 3rd parties will find the NX a more suitable place than steam and the established space marine shooter consoles.

It'll get many exclusives. From Nintendo and other Japanese developers. Not from western 3rd parties.

Hermii

You are crazy if you think a 5 watt handheld will be on the level of a 120watt xb one 3 years later.

Also Xbox one+ Level is good enough for ports while still being cheap to manufacture.

Peterc

You are crazy if you think a 5 watt handheld will be on the level of a 120watt xb one 3 years later.

Also Xbox one+ Level is good enough for ports while still being cheap to manufacture.

Im term in tech numbers, then I'm with you

But if we speak in terms from what it can show on a smaller screen, it should definitely be possible.

Rodin

While your post was included, i wasn't talking specifically about you. It's a trend i noticed here and elsewhere.

Anyway, my point is that if a dev is porting a UE4 graphically intensive game to the platform we can assume that it's in the same ballpark as the other consoles (which you seem to agree on), otherwise they wouldn't bother at all just like nobody bothered with the Wii U (starting with Epic), despite UE4 and modern engines in general being highly scalable.

Why are we saying xb1 and not ps4. I think xb1 power for handheld will be enough.
Im term in tech numbers, then I'm with you

But if we speak in terms from what it can show on a smaller screen, it should definitely be possible.

Really?

tnaden

If that is the case, we could assume several things about this news if it turns out to be true.
This game is likely for a console only since a handheld would not use the standard version of UE4. This implies that the NX handheld and console are not at the same power level (or even close), and that the handheld will not be able to simply run all games with just a change of resolution.

There is no "mobile version" of UE4. Standard UE4 is used for PC/console/mobile.

How powerful would a PC/console have to be to decently run UE4?

Afaik the Wii U and the Vita are hardware compliant with UE4. Depends what you want to do with the engine.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I am sharing this with you guys as a rumor, but I happen to know that this info is true/correct:
http://www.nintengen.com/2016/02/nintendo-nx-insider-dev-kit-engine.html

• Unnamed Developer says their game is running on Unreal Engine 4 and looks very impressive graphically.
  • The Developer said that Dev Kits are limited supply and a larger number of developers wanting Dev Kits will get an SDK so they can prep their titles for release on NX.
  • The Developer’s Nintendo Account Manager stated that Unity and Unreal Engine 4 will both be ready in time for when developers outside of key partners are able to purchase dev-kits of their own.
  • The Developer states that since their game is running on Unreal Engine 4 already, this is very promising news and are happy that Nintendo has at least taken the initiative in this regard of engine support out of the gate.
  • The Developer seems to think that they have a good chance of getting an actual dev kit and not just an SDK.
The developer went on to inform that he actually did not break any NDA that he was under by telling this information. The release date of the Dev Kits for all developers remains under NDA and the specs of the Dev Kit are still hidden
Sounds like a cock and bull story to me. At least if this information is recent, due to certain developments not long ago.

Nightbird

I think it's more reasonable to think the handheld version could be along the lines of a ps3/360 game and the console versions a next gen port.

This is a reasonable expectation.
PS360 will be 10 and 11 years old by the end of this year. It's totally fair to think a gaming focused Handheld launching this year will match those in Power.

Rösti;195113192 said:
Sounds like a cock and bull story to me. At least if this information is recent, due to certain developments not long ago.

You mean the NDA part, don't you? Cause I want to believe this story...

The_Lump

Banned
While your post was included, i wasn't talking specifically about you. It's a trend i noticed here and elsewhere.

Anyway, my point is that if a dev is porting a UE4 graphically intensive game to the platform we can assume that it's in the same ballpark as the other consoles (which you seem to agree on), otherwise they wouldn't bother at all just like nobody bothered with the Wii U (starting with Epic), despite UE4 and modern engines in general being highly scalable.

I think the quote was "very impressive graphically" wasn't it? Big difference between that and "graphically intensive". The former is extremely subjective, which is why I'm not reading too much into it just yet.

Mr Swine

Banned
How powerful are the A35 and A53 CPU compared to the ones in the 360 and PS3 if the NX portable has it? Could a game like Dead Rising work on or would Capcop need to cut of a hefty amount of Zombie to make the game work?

McHuj

This is a reasonable expectation.
PS360 will be 10 and 11 years old by the end of this year. It's totally fair to think a gaming focused Handheld launching this year will match those in Power.

It could, but I bet it won't. I think battery life is important and even modern mobile devices will drain battery life very quickly when taxing the CPU and GPU 100%.

I think a handheld with a quad core a53 plus ~100 gigaflop GPU, especially on 14nm and with a 540p screen, could sustain 6-8 hours gaming time on a charge.

There's no point in putting a very higher SOC into a handheld that will drain the battery in an hour.

Peterc

Has @antdickens been lucky enough to stumble across a #NintendoNX prototype in the wild? ・・・ I think I just played Nintendo NX on the plane... #NintendoNX

full.jpg

http://www.nintendolife.com/photos/...st-played-nintendo-nx-on-the-plane-nintendonx

Lol. Looks fake

Has @antdickens been lucky enough to stumble across a #NintendoNX prototype in the wild? ・・・ I think I just played Nintendo NX on the plane... #NintendoNX

http://images.nintendolife.com/media/7833/full.jpg[/img

[url]http://www.nintendolife.com/photos/7833/has-atantdickens-been-lucky-enough-to-stumble-across-a-nintendonx-prototype-in-the-wildi-think-i-just-played-nintendo-nx-on-the-plane-nintendonx[/url]

Lol. Looks fake[/QUOTE]
that thing obviously the plane seat entertainment control stuff

While i would advise against being too positive about this, it's obvious at this point that the Wii U speculation and the 4 years of deepest negativity that followed ruined the perception about anything Nintendo for too many people, and to a point where a good news must be a fantasy scenario or something that could and should be spinned as bad or at least meaningless to avoid future disappointment. I'm sure that if the leak was "dev wants to port game on NX, can't do that because specs are too low" we would have already had 20 pages on the subject.
I guess Epic saw the power and the work needed to support UE4 (which was still in development at the time) and likely thought it wasn't worth diverting resources from building it on PC and porting the engine to consoles and mobile. The Wii U is on its way out and they've released like maybe 2 games on consoles with that engine?

MK_768

Not happening lol.

Caffeine

Kingdom Hearts 3 runs on UE4 right ?

so does ff7 remake.

anyway i read through some posts earlier that said the gap between handheld and console has to be smaller. I look at it like pc, in case of uniform games.
the game has a hardware check sets the game to low settings , lower level of detail distance, 540p res on handheld, or on console sets to med/high settings at 900p.
i think it would be perfectly possible with something at or slightly above vita range for portable. and something in between or at xb1 and ps4 range.

there also is a mobile version of unreal 4.

Kingdom Hearts 3 runs on UE4 right ?
Yes. I believe it should get an NX release as SE said they'd put it on anything that supports DX11 (iirc).
There's a big KH audience on Nintendo as well.
I wonder if the handheld and the console could run UE4, could they get KH3 on there? Maybe without some fancy shaders and particle effects

radcliff

They'd have to offer a standalone of each as well of course, but I think a bundle could do very well. Millions paid $499 for an Xbone w/ Kinect (myself included); reductively, that's $500 for a home-console and a flashy camera apparatus. I imagine more people - and not just the hardcore market - would jump on a bundle if it was a worthwhile deal. A $199 handheld, $299 home console, $499 handheld + home-console + game sku would do well.

If they sold the handheld for $200 and console for $300, they could potentially do a discounted bundle for $450, maybe with the rumored Smash port. Would be a nice incentive to get both.

And for those games that may run on the console, but not the handheld: since those games (at least from Nintendo) will probably be the exception rather than the rule, I wonder if they would just hire someone like Tantalus or Monster to port those games to the handheld.

MK_768

They'd have to offer a standalone of each as well of course, but I think a bundle could do very well. Millions paid $499 for an Xbone w/ Kinect (myself included); reductively, that's $500 for a home-console and a flashy camera apparatus. I imagine more people - and not just the hardcore market - would jump on a bundle if it was a worthwhile deal. A $199 handheld, $299 home console, $499 handheld + home-console + game sku would do well.

Thing is that's a very risky thing to do without separate SKUs. Not sure Nintendo is going to go down that road. Highly doubt it.

If they sold the handheld for $200 and console for $300, they could potentially do a discounted bundle for $450, maybe with the rumored Smash port. Would be a nice incentive to get both.

And for those games that may run on the console, but not the handheld: since those games (at least from Nintendo) will probably be the exception rather than the rule, I wonder if they would just hire someone like Tantalus or Monster to port those games to the handheld.
Yeah, if they bundled both it would have to have an incentive or otherwise the consumer would just buy them separately (also having the bundle being the only option like a hybrid would infer would be a horribly expensive mistake)
And yeah, would probably be smart to create or hire more support studios for upgrading or downgrading assets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom