• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Maybe not third-party, but there's virtually no first-party game that can't be playable on both anymore.

Pokemon is the main holdout, and that's more Game Freak/TPC's obstinance than any technical incapability.

Handheld titles that aren't currently on console aren't the ones to watch out for. The things that wouldn't be playable on both would be console games which are either too demanding or rely on certain non-standard control schemes.

AzaK

If they can win you back AzakK, they can win anyone back.

HAHAHAHAHA - true. Although I won't be buying anything Nintendo day 1 anymore until I'm comfortable with ongoing Western third party support. The SCD patent just excites me as a geek who loves this sort of stuff.

Thinking back to it, Capcom should really appreciate the NX seeing as they've done the dual releases a bunch of times before.
MH3U which is likely the best example, they also did RE: revelations and EX Troopers (which admittedly didn't do well)
Seems like if a company wanted to, they could get a lot more out of a handheld but the result is a fairly expensive game that would likely benefit from being multiplatform.
I'm hoping developers push the handheld as much as Capcom did with this mindset
Especially if they're heavily stylized like this or MH stories
http://youtu.be/Wr1HMERZcBs

javadoze

Taking a stab at what games are going to be announced for the NX:

Practically confirmed

-Dragon Quest XI

Likely to happen

-Smash Bros NX (Probably a port of 3DS/WiiU)

-Mario NX (The 3D World dev team stated how the next Mario game probably wasn’t going to be on WiiU, but rather on Nintendo’s next console instead. Galaxy 2 came out in 2010 and 3D world came out in 2013, so the timeline matches up perfectly.)

"I have no idea" territory

-Pikmin 4 (Either a late WiiU title or an NX title that slipped past the cracks.)

-Legend of Zelda (Probably a port of the WiiU version ala how Twilight Princess was handled)

-Retro Studios’ next project (Though DK Tropical Freeze came out in 2014, I'm feeling hopeful that at least something gets shown off in regards to this.)

Wishful thinking territory

-Warioware NX (I feel like this is bound to happen since it's been awhile since the last proper Warioware game. Plus, the tech demos the Warioware team made for WiiU eventually became Game & Wario.)

-WiiSports/NintendoLand equivalent (The obligatory pack-in title.)

-Sonic 25th anniversary game

-One of Bandai Namco's AAA titles in production for NX
Summer Lesson

Josh5890

Practically confirmed

-Dragon Quest XI

Likely to happen

-Mario NX (The 3D World dev team stated how the next Mario game probably wasn’t going to be on WiiU, but rather on Nintendo’s next console instead. Galaxy 2 came out in 2010 and 3D world came out in 2013, so the timeline matches up perfectly.)

-Pikmin 4 (Either a late WiiU title or an NX title that slipped past the cracks.)

-Legend of Zelda (Probably a port of the WiiU version ala how Twilight Princess was handled)

-Retro Studios’ next project (Though DK Tropical Freeze came out in 2014, I'm feeling hopeful that at least something gets shown off in regards to this.)

-Warioware NX (I feel like this is bound to happen since it's been awhile since the last proper Warioware game. Plus, the tech demos the Warioware team made for WiiU eventually became Game & Wario.)

Summer Lesson

I think there is some kind of a racing game at launch. Be it F-Zero, Wave Race, or Diddy Kong Racing. Unless someone else provides it. But I really think there will be an early racing game.

What if there is absolutely no intention of any sort of shared library?

Maybe the consolidated development teams just means "Here's Mario Kart 9 for NX handheld and Mario Kart 9 for console!"

Just like smash bros, but it would be significantly easier to develop both titles simultaneously.

Vena

Maybe the consolidated development teams just means "Here's Mario Kart 9 for NX handheld and Mario Kart 9 for console!"

Just like smash bros, but it would be significantly easier to develop both titles simultaneously.

Its wasted resources making two games ala Smash rather than making one smash and selling it to two audiences.

Josh5890

Well there are people who are still upset that the 3DS version held back the Wii-U version (ice Climbers) so they need to be careful if they choose to go that route.

Neoxon

Because Nintendo has reached the point where they can no longer support two separate dedicated gaming platforms on their own without incurring software droughts for both. Not to mention that handheld experiences are starting to come closer to their console counterparts (& the mention of the 3DS cartridge manufacturer being involved with the NX Platform). Your way would result in wasting resources.

Its wasted resources making two games ala Smash rather than making one smash and selling it to two audiences.

Because Nintendo has reached the point where they can no longer support two separate dedicated gaming platforms on their own without incurring software droughts. Not to mention that handheld experiences are starting to come closer to their console counterparts (& the mention of the 3DS cartridge manufacturer being involved with the NX Platform). Your way would result in wasting resources.

And that would be the point of "unified development" it would take less resources to develop both games (than it currently is) and software droughts would happen less if they can pump out games faster, not necessarily for both platforms at once.

I imagine with a unified structure that porting a game from the handheld to the console or vice versa (with the same architecture) should take less time than a typical multiplatform developer to port from one console to another

Neoxon

And that would be the point of "unified development" it would take less resources to develop both games (than it currently is) and software droughts would happen less if they can pump out games faster, not necessarily for both platforms at once.

I imagine with a unified structure that porting a game from the handheld to the console or vice versa (with the same architecture) should take less time than a typical multiplatform developer to port from one console to another
But then you'd run into the issue of there being two of the exact same game at retail, something that Nintendo would probably want to avoid (given that, correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't as buddy-buddy with retailers as of late). And even then, the list of manufacturers that came out not too long ago had the 3DS cartridge manufacturer but not Panasonic (the Wii U disc manufacturer). Granted, it may have been just an incomplete list, but it's kind of a weird omission at this stage.

Banned

Practically confirmed

-Dragon Quest XI

Likely to happen

Summer Lesson
Pretty close to my guesses.

Super Mario 3D
The Legend of Zelda U
Smash Bros. Tournament Edition
Pikmin 4 (Q1 2017)
Retro's title (Q1 2017)
Tales of Berseria
Dragon Quest XI

Games to come between Q2 2017 and Q1 2018:

Sonic 3D
FFXV
Metroid
Xenoblade Chronicles remaster
DKCR and TF remaster
Splatoon 2
Mario Maker port

Malus

So based on this thread the NX will be anywhere from slightly worse than Xbox One to better than the PS4. I'm guessing that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The NX hype has almost made me forget about the Zelda hype. Almost. We still don't even know the real names of either. I hope Zelda NX, assuming there is one, gets a few graphical tweaks. Like maybe some better AA or something.

I also think they should cover every floor surface with dat grass. Maybe the walls too.

ffs someone made a podcast about this now.

That channel and it's related site have been going on for a little while. They're really bullish on the NX's power so if you wanna feed your hype (and disappointment potential) that's the place to be lol.

Neoxon

So based on this thread the NX will be anywhere from slightly worse than Xbox One to better than the PS4. I'm guessing that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The NX hype has almost made me forget about the Zelda hype. Almost. We still don't even know the real names of either. I hope Zelda NX, assuming there is one, gets a few graphical tweaks. Like maybe some better AA or something.

I also think they should cover every floor surface with dat grass. Maybe the walls too.
I'm honestly expecting the NX Console to be slightly worse than the Xbox One for the sake of saving costs. As for the NX Handheld, I'm expecting it to be within the Wii U's ballpark in terms of graphical fidelity.

But then you'd run into the issue of there being two of the exact same game at retail, something that Nintendo would probably want to avoid (given that, correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't as buddy-buddy with retailers as of late). And even then, the list of manufacturers that came out not too long ago had the 3DS cartridge manufacturer but not Panasonic (the Wii U disc manufacturer). Granted, it may have been just an incomplete list, but it's kind of a weird omission at this stage.

Well I'm hoping Nintendo is smart enough to create different enough versions of games, but they had two versions of Smash at retailers for the same holiday season.

I'm not saying they would do this for every game, but guaranteed sellers like Mario Kart, Mario, or Smash could happen.

I haven't seen the manufacturers list, do you have a link? It's possible they just aren't going with Panasonic with the discs, even though they have since the gamecube. Maybe they are going with traditional blu-rays now? Maybe sans video playback capabilities so they don't have to pay a fee? I can't imagine a proprietary format is significantly cheaper

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Because Nintendo has reached the point where they can no longer support two separate dedicated gaming platforms on their own without incurring software droughts for both. Not to mention that handheld experiences are starting to come closer to their console counterparts (& the mention of the 3DS cartridge manufacturer being involved with the NX Platform). Your way would result in wasting resources.

That's inaccurate. It's not Nintendo who can't support two platforms (they just did on the Wii and DS), its the platforms that can't support Nintendo investing a certain amount of money as a publisher. The Wii U and 3DS were just poor management on higher budget and personnel development cycles.

Malus

I'm honestly expecting the NX Console to be slightly worse than the Xbox One for the sake of saving costs. As for the NX Handheld, I'm expecting it to be within the Wii U's ballpark in terms of graphical fidelity.

I know slightly worse than Xbone would probably still look great to me, but the idea of Nintendo releasing a platform that's graphically inferior to the competition twice within one gen's time makes me sad. XENOBLADE NX NEEDS THOSE POLYGONS DAMNIT.

Well, if I can play most of the handheld games on console that'd really help make up for things. I've missed out on a lot of great 3DS stuff.

Neoxon

Well I'm hoping Nintendo is smart enough to create different enough versions of games, but they had two versions of Smash at retailers for the same holiday season.

I'm not saying they would do this for every game, but guaranteed sellers like Mario Kart, Mario, or Smash could happen.

I haven't seen the manufacturers list, do you have a link? It's possible they just aren't going with Panasonic with the discs, even though they have since the gamecube. Maybe they are going with traditional blu-rays now? Maybe sans video playback capabilities so they don't have to pay a fee? I can't imagine a proprietary format is significantly cheaper
But then you'd run into the same problem. Nintendo splitting their focus (albeit less so with the unified architecture) between two of the same game, resulting in double of the same game on store shelves. Not only does it stretch Nintendo too thin, but it also limits Nintendo's ability to diversify their line-up to grow their audience, something that's holding Nintendo back from getting western third party support back.

And here's the mention of Macronix working on stuff for the NX Platform.

I am expecting a more effective/efficient CPU for the NX with a similar GPU and memory as PS4, making performance more consistent and overall better. In my opinion the CPU in the PS4 was the biggest sacrifice in cutting it's cost.

Malus

I am expecting a more effective/efficient CPU for the NX with a similar GPU and memory as PS4, making performance more consistent and overall better. In my opinion the CPU in the PS4 was the biggest sacrifice in cutting it's cost.

Thraktor said aiming for slightly below Xbone would help in making console/handheld compatiblity as straightforward as possibile, and he says a lot of smart sounding tech stuff so I'm leading 60/40 in his favor for now.

Until the next juicy rumor comes in anyways.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just temper your CPU expectations - those desktop CPUs with their high IPC, high clocks and large caches are definitely out of the picture. Sony/ms went with Jaguar not because they wanted to handicap their consoles, but because those were the viable console candidates. Today things are not that much different - we have new architectures (and uarchs) on the (ARM*) console table, and they offer certain benefits to platform holders like nintendo, but the performance envelope has not shifted that much. So yes, nintendo could outperform ps4one CPU-wise without breaking the bank, but they cannot do that by a large margin.

* Zen non-withstanding, due to late timing.

Malus

Just temper your CPU expectations - those desktop CPUs with their high IPC, high clocks and large caches are definitely out of the picture. Sony/ms went with Jaguar not because they wanted to handicap their consoles, but because those were the viable console candidates. Today things are not that much different - we have new architectures (and uarchs) on the (ARM*) console table, and they offer certain benefits to platform holders like nintendo, but the performance envelope has not shifted that much. So yes, nintendo could outperform ps4one CPU-wise without breaking the bank, but they cannot do that by a large margin.

Even if it's a paper
mario
thin margin better that'd be plenty enough for me. Even just on par with PS4 would be great.

Tbh I'll be happy if we can just get rid of some of the more annoying aspects of PS360/Wii U era graphics. Awful jagged shadows, aliasing everywhere, the occasional ugly PS2 lookin textures, noticeable pop-in. Blah.

Peterc

Practically confirmed

-Dragon Quest XI

Likely to happen

Summer Lesson

Nintendo will step away from WII. So forget all about the games like wiiu sport or other party games. Thats nintendo their purpose with the NX.

Peterc

Did anybody seen this video?

2016-02-14_1022.png

2016-02-14_1023.png

2016-02-14_1023.png

https://youtu.be/p0a6H_7_A5o

source: http://dqtechnews.com/2015/12/16/rumor-private-nx-concept-reveal-footage-leaked-video/

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I really enjoy the fact that the website talks about it as if it's a leak while the video title and description both make it clear that it's fake and made by a random person. But perhaps they've been edited since the post was published, so I won't judge them too hard...

I also like that the video was posted in June but wasn't reported on by that site until December.

Okay, I'll stop being critical of the website now.

I hope we get some actual news soon.

LewieP

Nintendo would never ask people to use virtual buttons on touchscreen device that they are not looking at as a game's primary input method.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I am so used to the "Sony and MS went to McDonalds and bought their CPU's in a recurring Happy Meal mega order" spiel that your post made me chuckle somehow :).

disap.ed

Don't know if this was mentioned but might add to the NX being released in 2016

source: http://www.geekscape.net/geekscape-interviews-fast-racing-neo

Even more important quote from that interview

Shin’en: Our favorite racing game is still Wave Race 64. It has a perfect blend of great gameplay, great tech and marvelous audio. Of course, we played all racing games from the past when we started with FAST Racing Neo, but we learned quickly we would need to do things very differently.

Please do a sequel / spiritual successor
Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom