• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will be the first big multiplatform title to sell more on Xbox than PS2?

Looking at the online rankings of best sellers as well as some news comments that have been released lately, it seems as if Xbox versions of titles are selling on par with the PS2 versions in a number of cases. Cleary the Xbox version is generally superior, but with the PS2's installed base plus fans who simply are loyal to a given system, it's been able to on average sell more than twice an Xbox title.

Now, I know there have been some titles that have sold on par like Soul Calibur 2, Timesplitters 2, etc, but I mean a big, big title. Over 500k on a single system.

Could it be Burnout 3, Star Wars: Battlefront, ESPN NBA2k5, NFSU2, or another? Is it inevitable or will the PS2's installed base win out?

NOTE: I'm also talking about simultaneous releases.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Burnout 3 - No chance
SW:B - possible
NBA2K5 - possible
NFSU2 - No chance

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would say some Sega sports game. That has the best chance. Some games are simply better accepted on a certain platform, more hyped or whatnot.

*edit* As seen with Ghost recon, I think that would sell better on Xbox even if the games were completely equal and released on the same day. It's just that kind of the game.

pilonv1

DarienA said:
Burnout 3 - No chance

From the other thread..

When gathering quotes today for a burnout 3 feature, EB Games' VP of marketing told me that last week the Xbox version of the title outsold the PS2 version nearly 2:1.

Granted it's just one chain. But I didn't even expect 1:1. I'd say Battlefront is the only one possible, but it's likely to sell to casuals based on the licence.

DarienA

pilonv1 said:
From the other thread..

Granted it's just one chain. But I didn't even expect 1:1. I'd say Battlefront is the only one possible, but it's likely to sell to casuals based on the licence.

EB VP's = Hardware Store Reps = Game Store Employees i.e.... take most of what they say with a grain of salt... but hey it could be.

Pug

Well the Xbox in the UK took 43% of the total sales and although I'm not sure I think the US has a higher % of Xbox to PS2 Sales. So just maybe it has sold well.

Edit for Sony Cowboy. That what I meant Xbox took 43% of total Burnout 3 sales. And considering the US has a much higher ratio of Xbox to PS2's I'd assume the sales for Xbox Burnout 3 in the US may be even better.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wait for the NPDs. There have been a few cases where the GCN or XBox version has sold more than the PS2 version, but those are often exceptions to the rule, and in some cases are affected by staggered release dates.

pilonv1

DarienA said:
EB VP's = Hardware Store Reps = Game Store Employees i.e.... take most of what they say with a grain of salt... but hey it could be.

I agree it's not very concrete. But with that and the UK figures it's got to be higher than "No Chance".

Pug said:
Well the Xbox in the UK took 43% of the total sales and although I'm not sure I think the US has a higher % of Xbox to PS2 Sales. So just maybe it ha sold well.

I've seen a number of people read that percentage number wrong now and your comment is a little vague, so for my own peace of mind, I'll clarify.

Some people have been saying that Xbox Burnout 3 took 43% of ALL sofware sales, or that Xbox got 43% of the UK market for the week. These people just read the percentages wrong.

Xbox Burnout 3 sold 43% vs Burnout P2 at 57% .

xsarien said:
Wait for the NPDs. There have been a few cases where the GCN or XBox version has sold more than the PS2 version, but those are often exceptions to the rule, and in some cases are affected by staggered release dates.

AniHawk said:
What about Splinter Cell? It outsold the PS2 version by about 600k-700k.

That's why I prefaced my question with the disclaimers.

Has to be a big game = over 500k on a single platform and has to be a simultaneous release.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
As more and more people are becoming owners of both Xbox and PS2, they invariably lean towards picking up the superior Xbox version of multiplatform games (unless they're rabid PS2 fanboys like *cough* some people).... So this trend of Xbox versions selling close to or more than their PS2 counterparts will continue and become even more noticable as this generation continues forth.

open_mouth_ said:
As more and more people are becoming owners of both Xbox and PS2, they invariably lean towards picking up the superior Xbox version of multiplatform games (unless they're rabid PS2 fanboys like some *cough* some people).... So this trend of Xbox versions selling close to or more than their PS2 counterparts will continue and become even more noticable as this generation continues forth.

No duh, dipwap. That's why I made the thread. But thanks for simply restating everything I already said in my original post. :)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
sonycowboy said:
No duh, dipwap. That's why I made the thread. But thanks for simply restating everything I already said in my original post. :)

I've made a habit of ignoring the actual content of your posts :)

But you can be proud to know that you share the opinion of someone as enlightened as me.

If Goldeneye 2 gets pushed into 2005, the Xbox version may do better. If it releases in November, it'll get killed by Halo 2.

Chi-Town

Actually, I've been thinking about this of late. I thought ESPN NFL 2k5 might've had a chance to be the first but judging by 2nd month numbers, the PS2 userbase will make it very difficult. Burnout 3 might suprise us. It's always been a well-liked series but it's never done massive numbers so it doesn't have a huge built-in PS2 fanbase like some games have. Battlefront is a possible thanks to the Xbox demo coming with the DVD Trilogy.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Now, I know there have been some titles that have sold on par like Soul Calibur 2, Timesplitters 2, etc, but I mean a big, big title. Over 500k on a single system.
SC2 is over 500k on GameCube & PS2. It's a big game I'd say...

jarrod said:
SC2 is over 500k on GameCube & PS2. It's a big game I'd say...

Ahhh, but it didn't sell more on the Xbox than the PS2. :D I know I mentioned on par, but I'm looking for an actual win here.

XBX SOUL CALIBUR II NAMCO 409,805

radioheadrule83 said:
Is the GC ver still ahead of the PS2 one? Or did that stop ages ago? (SCII)

As of July's NPD (that is, not including August's)

113 GCN SOUL CALIBUR II NAMCO 639,559
134 PS2 SOUL CALIBUR II NAMCO 582,619
199 XBX SOUL CALIBUR II NAMCO 409,805

DarkCloud

Didn't Max Payne sell more on Xbox than PS2...It's been so long since that was released and had any spotlight in the fanboy wars so I coud be wrong.

DarienA

sonycowboy said:

It seems like pretty much everybody ignored this line this thread was suppose to be about simultaneous launch multi-platform title comparisons... wth happened?

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Ahhh, but it didn't sell more on the Xbox than the PS2. :D I know I mentioned on par, but I'm looking for an actual win here.

XBX SOUL CALIBUR II NAMCO 409,805
Well, my contention was more over defining SC2 as a "big" game. It's the 2nd best selling fighter this generation actually (after SSBM).

DarkCloud

If that was directed at me I wasn't trying to ignore anything...I honestly don't remember how close the launches for both versions of Max Payne were. It was a near launch title for Xbox is all I can recall.

DarkCloud said:
Didn't Max Payne sell more on Xbox than PS2...It's been so long since that was released and had any spotlight in the fanboy wars so I coud be wrong.

Not even close (to selling more than - still in the top 10 best selling Xbox game).

PS2 MAX PAYNE TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) 1,563,199
XBX MAX PAYNE TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) 739,722

From what I've heard about Battlefront, it seems to be doing much, much better on Xbox than on the PS2. They really, really screwed up the online interfeces for both, but no friends list or ability to find anyone has really crippled the PS2 version apparently.

I think Burnout could still do it, but Battlefront looks the most likely. And I think these two are just the beginning.

jett

D-Member
jarrod said:
Well, my contention was more over defining SC2 as a "big" game. It's the 2nd best selling fighter this generation actually (after SSBM).

It isn't if you don't add up the 3 consoles' sales. That's cheating. :p

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
sonycowboy said:
Looking at the online rankings of best sellers as well as some news comments that have been released lately, it seems as if Xbox versions of titles are selling on par with the PS2 versions in a number of cases. Cleary the Xbox version is generally superior, but with the PS2's installed base plus fans who simply are loyal to a given system, it's been able to on average sell more than twice an Xbox title.

Could it be Burnout 3, Star Wars: Battlefront, ESPN NBA2k5, NFSU2, or another? Is it inevitable or will the PS2's installed base win out?

This, coming from the guy who now regularly brings us our sales stats. Are you looking for trouble?

First, you narrow the field of choices to fit your agenda.

You follow up with this line "sold on par like Soul Calibur 2, Timesplitters 2, etc..." Knowing full-well, that the Xbox version has sold the least of all 3 consoles in those 2 examples. Topped off with "but I mean a big, big title. Over 500k on a single system."

Then you run off a list of games that have little chance of being outsold against the PS2 (and half of which may not even qualify with your limits).

When Gahiggidy made threads like this, he atleast made it fun and gave us charts with pictures of Kirby sucking up dollar bills. :p

JJConrad said:
This, coming from the guy who now regularly brings us our sales stats. Are you looking for trouble?

First, you narrow the field of choices to fit your agenda.

You follow up with this line "sold on par like Soul Calibur 2, Timesplitters 2, etc..." Knowing full-well, that the Xbox version has sold the least of all 3 consoles in those 2 examples. Topped off with "but I mean a big, big title. Over 500k on a single system."

Then you run off a list of games that have little chance of being outsold against the PS2 (and half of which may not even qualify with your limits).

When Gahiggidy made threads like this, he atleast made it fun and gave us charts with pictures of Kirby sucking up dollar bills. :p

Dude. Take it easy. I'm not sure exactly what's riled you up, but go ahead and use whatever criteria you want. I was asking a simple question and it seems pretty much everybody but you understood what I was getting at. If you're going to bother to go apeshit in a topic, at least try and provide some counterpoint.

And are you saying that you don't think any Xbox game will outsell a PS2 game? Or that I've narrowed the field in such a way that no Xbox game can compete? I've made quite a few posts, where I not only honestly believe that some Xbox games have a shot at outselling their PS2 version, head-to-head, but that it is inevitable and will be happening with some frequency in the near future.

jarrod

Banned
jett said:
It isn't if you don't add up the 3 consoles' sales. That's cheating. :p
Naw, it's still the same game. Don't blame Namco because they were smart enough to target every console gamer and actually expand their brand. :)

Actually though, I think Mortal Kombat DA might be the 2nd best selling fighter this generation in the USA (SC2 might be it worldwide still though).

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's not going to be Burnout 3. It's me being quoted from that other thread, and I was the one who spoke with the VP.

The lady I spoke with wasn't some game store employee. It was the divisional VP of marketing, at their corp. office. I've spoken with her a couple of times since and she's given me solid data about how other titles are performing at EB locations nationwide, even within a couple days of release.

But I digress... the point is, she heavily emphasized that it was only out of the chute that the Xbox outsold the PS2. Even as early as its second week of release, PS2 sales had already caught up. Hardcore "release day" shoppers picked up the Xbox version, and now the PS2's userbase has taken over.

GDJustin said:
It's not going to be Burnout 3. It's me being quoted from that other thread, and I was the one who spoke with the VP.

The lady I spoke with wasn't some game store employee. It was the divisional VP of marketing, at their corp. office. I've spoken with her a couple of times since and she's given me solid data about how other titles are performing at EB locations nationwide, even within a couple days of release.

But I digress... the point is, she heavily emphasized that it was only out of the chute that the Xbox outsold the PS2. Even as early as its second week of release, PS2 sales had already caught up. Hardcore "release day" shoppers picked up the Xbox version, and now the PS2's userbase has taken over.

Justin,

Do you think it will happen sometime this year? I think there are a number of cantidates as I said, although if NFL2k5 couldn't, I guess NBA 2k5 probably won't either. In general, EA has such a strong mindshare on PS2 that they really have some serious built-in sales there which would make it tough for Burnout, NFSU, Goldeneye,etc .

Top Bottom