• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will look better? The XBOX Geforce 3 DOOM 3, or the PC Geforce 3 DOOM 3?

Both will basically be displayed at the same resolution according to that new report. XBOX has essentially a better card in a Geforce 3.5, but a PC has more RAM and faster processor.

So what will win in the visual department if both are the same res?

Culex

Banned
Textures will look better on the PC at 640 x 480. Also with the inherant extra sharpness of a PC monitor, it will look better. Unless, of course, you're running a nice LCD or plasma TV.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The detail you see on enemies and a lot of the on-screen objects comes thanks to Normal Maps which are at the end textures which take space: cut their resolution to save space ( as they have been doing ) and you cut visual detail on objects and lighting quality.

Tenguman

PC will look much better most definatly

Xbox version isn't just cutting texture resolution, but lighting complexity and animation due to the relativly weak CPU and low system RAM.

tenchir

You guys should check out HardOCP Doom3 hardware guide. Seems that even at Low Quality, Doom3 for PC will still look better than XBOX version.

Yusaku

Yes, let's have another thread with more PC vs. Xbox cockslapping.

With that I think Hard OCP's own screenshots show PC with low quality settings will still look better than Xbox. FPS is anyone's guess.

doncale

Banned
Xbox's NV2A is closer to a GeForce 4 than it is to a GeForce 3. in terms of geometry, the Xbox version would look more detailed than a PC GeForce 3 version. but as for textures, a GeForce 3 PC will have more VRAM and main RAM so......

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Xbox's NV2A is closer to a GeForce 4 than it is to a GeForce 3. in terms of geometry, the Xbox version would look more detailed than a PC GeForce 3 version. but as for textures, a GeForce 3 PC will have more VRAM and main RAM so......"

The Xbox version should be optimised for ONE configuration. PC version has to handle a number of different configs, so it remains to be seen which comes out better.
Could be that the Xbox doesn't look as good but has a more stable frame rate ....

... or something like that.

From the benches, graphs, and stuff from the Hardware OCP guide, it looks like the GF4MX Doom III looks better than the Xbox and runs at an average 30 fps.

tenchir

Looks like some stores already have Doom3, but waiting till release date. I know since the full game is already out there on the net. Don't bother to PM me where to get it, I won't tell.

honestly tho even if I did get it *taht way* id definatly buy it to support ID, same with half life 2 and same with the star wars dvds *cough*

tenchir said:
Looks like some stores already have Doom3, but waiting till release date. I know since the full game is already out there on the net. Don't bother to PM me where to get it, I won't tell.

Wow some people have alot of nerve. If I stole this game I'd be too embarrased to admit to admit it.

Thaedolus

Who has the balls to even download it? For some reason, I wouldn't feel safe bittorrenting this particular game right now...

I'll wait until Tuesday, thanks

tenchir

seismologist said:
Wow some people have alot of nerve. If I stole this game I'd be too embarrased to admit to admit it.

Are you refering to me? What makes you think I downloaded the game or be embarassed to admit it to strangers on the internet?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
doncale:

> in terms of geometry, the Xbox version would look more detailed than a PC GeForce 3 version.

No. But it may have a more stable framerate.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well the XBox version should do the GPU stuff faster (geometry, stencil ops etc.) but if the port isn't removing the CPU dependancies (afaik PC version does stuff like silhouete tracing on CPU) I doubt it will perform better either.
But technically, it should...

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Fafalada said:
Well the XBox version should do the GPU stuff faster (geometry, stencil ops etc.) but if the port isn't removing the CPU dependancies (afaik PC version does stuff like silhouete tracing on CPU) I doubt it will perform better either.
But technically, it should...
Carmack talked about doing the extrusions on the GPU (GF3 isn't powerful enough). But it's not like they increased the detail because you have an extra vertex shader. I think the Xbox version might have a higher minimum framerate but that's about it.

I think it's also worth keeping in mind that Vicarious Visions is handling the port.

Top Bottom