• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the future for Nintendo's ARMS?

Jubenhimer

Nintendo's ARMS is a very interesting game. It released very early in the Nintendo Switch's life and had quite a few eyes on it. It was Nintendo's next big multiplayer IP coming right off the heels of Splatoon on Wii U, and it was easy to draw comparisons between the two. A motion controlled take on a popular gaming genre with an innovative twist, made by the team behind the Mario Kart series. And with the Switch already selling better than the Wii U, many expected ARMS to be as, or even more successful than Splatoon.

To date, ARMS has sold 2.71 million copies. Not a bad number for a New IP in a somewhat niche genre on a such a young console at the time. But we haven't heard from ARMS since 2020, when one of the characters Min Min, was added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as DLC. There was a comic in the works, but that was supposedly scrapped for unknown reasons. Some people think ARMS was a failure and that Nintendo won't make a sequel to it, instead doubling down on Splatoon.

Thing is though, Splatoon was a special case. A surprise sleeper hit on a failed console that greatly surpassed the expectations of even Nintendo themselves. So getting a sequel to that on the Switch ASAP was always important to them. And once that turned out to be even more successful, then a third game on the same console was a top priority. Splatoon simply had much more to grow off of than ARMS at the time.

I don't think ARMS is dead, I do feel Nintendo saw it as a modest success. However, I think it's on the same level as Star Fox, or Rhythm Heaven, or Pikmin, where it's more on the niche side, and thus a lower priority in their development slate. The team behind ARMS has since made Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Course Pass, and given that MK8 DX's sales make up almost half of the Switch's user-base (60 million copies worldwide), that's obviously going to be a top priority for them. Plus, Nintendo's never really been a company that's focused on instant massive success, especially not for a new IP. Their franchises were gradually nurtured and grown over several years, decades for their oldest ones. Animal Crossing sold a measly 2 million copies on the Nintendo GameCube, but it slowly grew into one of Nintendo's MVP franchises with each entry.

I think we'll see ARMS again. I think it's a really fun game, and Nintendo's revived, remade, and made sequels to IPs FAR more niche than it (Famicom Detective Club anybody?). But if there is a new game in development, it's likely being worked on by a small crew while they either wait for more in-house resources to be available, or find an external studio to co-develop and finish up the game.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Doubt it has a future.
It’s the usual Nintendo launch game made to showcase some uniqueness of the hardware, like F-Zero for Mode 7 and Nintendo Land for asymmetric gameplay. Like those, it didn’t sell gangbusters, so it’ll become a footnote in Nintendo history, mentioned in other games with Smash cameos and the like. But I don‘t think it’s gonna get sequels, nor that the concept is gonna get expanded upon. Arms’s only chance at a sequel is if the next Nintendo system still features something like the Joycons, but even so, I’m betting more on a tweaked “definitive edition” like Mario Kart 8 than an actual Arms 2.

consoul

Even Hemingway knew this one. No future.
JmYnTwE.jpeg

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Doubt it has a future.
It’s the usual Nintendo launch game made to showcase some uniqueness of the hardware, like F-Zero for Mode 7 and Nintendo Land for asymmetric gameplay. Like those, it didn’t sell gangbusters, so it’ll become a footnote in Nintendo history, mentioned in other games with Smash cameos and the like. But I don‘t think it’s gonna get sequels, nor that the concept is gonna get expanded upon. Arms’s only chance at a sequel is if the next Nintendo system still features something like the Joycons, but even so, I’m betting more on a tweaked “definitive edition” like Mario Kart 8 than an actual Arms 2.
I mean, F-Zero got two sequels plus three handheld games. I don't think being a launch window tech demo means its less likely to continue. Though again, I don't doubt that a new entry isn't the highest priority for Nintendo at the moment.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I mean, F-Zero got two sequels plus three handheld games. I don't think being a launch window tech demo means its less likely to continue. Though again, I don't doubt that a new entry isn't the highest priority for Nintendo at the moment.
I expected this rebuttal :messenger_grinning_sweat:

F-Zero comes from a time when Nintendo had less IPs and less huge sellers. With the exception of GX, which incidentally wasn’t made in-house by Nintendo, it was also never a series that stood out for production values. Very useful for launch windows and draught periods. Still, ever since Mario Kart appeared, that one took the spotlight. That’s why we never saw F-Zero 2 on SNES, and why - with the exception of the GBA - Mario Kart always took precedence in the release schedule of every Nintendo system ever since.

It’s easy to see that when Nintendo saw that many of their other IPs were easily selling much better than F-Zero while also being much more in line with their public image, F-Zero was unceremoniously given the boot. Miyamoto’s “the series said all it had to say” is particularly egregious when you look at the state of 2D Mario and Kirby through the Wii and WiiU generations. The reason is much simpler: F-Zero didn’t sell enough. Likewise for Arms, or we’d have already had a sequel on the Nintendo console that’s been on the market the longest without a successor.

Tams

Arms was a 'one shot' experiment after the success of the Splatoon one.

It was mainly to nurture young talent and make them feel valued, as well as see if something new stuck. Plus some release padding.

Not all experiments work. It sold well, but not great and there's no real fan base.

Jubenhimer

F-Zero comes from a time when Nintendo had less IPs and less huge sellers. With the exception of GX, which incidentally wasn’t made in-house by Nintendo, it was also never a series that stood out for production values. Very useful for launch windows and draught periods. Still, ever since Mario Kart appeared, that one took the spotlight. That’s why we never saw F-Zero 2 on SNES, and why - with the exception of the GBA - Mario Kart always took precedence in the release schedule of every Nintendo system ever since.
Well the official explanation as to why F-Zero had gone on such a long hiatus according to Miyamoto and the series' original Director, Takaya Imamura is because it was difficult to come up with new ideas for the franchise after GX. Of course, Mario Kart's success and Nintendo exiting the power race also likely played a part in the series' absence. People also took that to mean "Nintendo can't find a silly controller gimmick for the franchise womp womp" But I don't think that's what they're really talking about here. They moreso mean some new game play element or hook that shakes up the format a little, and could be used in marketing. F-Zero 99 did exactly that. It took the original SNES game play, and added a fun twist that played well with the series' roots. I think that's more like what they mean.

F-Zero didn’t sell enough. Likewise for Arms, or we’d have already had a sequel on the Nintendo console that’s been on the market the longest without a successor.
I don't disagree that ARMS didn't surpass expectations enough to get a sequel out asap. But I don't think it's a failed IP either. As you implied, it could be one of those series we see again on the Switch's successor to take advantage of new tech or ideas. They could be working on a sequel right now, just with a limited crew. Nintendo has franchises that sell as good as, or less than ARMS that still keep getting new entries. Pikmin, Metroid, Xenoblade, WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven, even Star Fox Zero wasn't that long ago.

Last edited:
I would really like to see a 2d Arms game by Capcom or Arc Systems, if Nintendo is unable to do so itself. This is one instance were the anime aesthetic helps it. You could make a VERY sharp and stylized 2d fighting game with the ARMS universe.

Arms was a 'one shot' experiment after the success of the Splatoon one.

It was mainly to nurture young talent and make them feel valued, as well as see if something new stuck. Plus some release padding.

Not all experiments work. It sold well, but not great and there's no real fan base.
This is my opinion as well. But maybe some of that young talent will want to revisit it in the next generation if they get to be influential enough. Arms is not a big IP but one that could be given to a small studio for a test before giving them a bigger one like Mario or Donkey Kong too.

Top Bottom