• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the worst video game related present you got for Christmas?

havoc00

Could be a horrible game, bad system, awful socks etc....

Doesn't have to be from this year, any years.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
Getting one of these
1PkSbDD.png

Sleepwalker

Getting a brand new gameboy Color with Pokemon Silver then having it stolen 2 days later in a break in.

My dad the absolute king that he was made sure to get 8 year old me another GBC + game. We weren't rich or anything and growing up in latin america I know that was a very hard thing to do for him.

Turned a very bad memory into a great one. :messenger_heart:

Merry Xmas, GAF.

TexMex

My parents were very anti gaming, only got two gaming gifts in my life and they were both great. My NES and then original game boy with Kirby’s dream land shortly after.

nush

Used Tandy TRS80 with a box of pirated games. That was a shared present with my 2 brothers. I'm not really pissed at my mum, but at her asshole colleague who offloaded it on her when she must have mentioned wanting to get a computer for her sons for Christmas.

When I was a student and had no money I wished for a Nintendo DS Lite with the newly released Mario Kart game, from my parents. It was the only thing I wished for.

I got a present in a box that had just the right size and got super excited! Oh boy!

It was a drilling machine.. That I had no use of whatsoever 😅 it was really hard to hide my disappointment.

Last edited:

havoc00

When I was a student and had no money I wished for a Nintendo DS Lite with the newly released Mario Kart game, from my parents. It was the only thing I wished for.

I got a present in a box that had just the right size and got super excited! Oh boy!

It was a drilling machine.. That I had no use of whatsoever 😅 it was really hard to hide my disappointment.
lol that’s the worst when the gift feels and looks like what you wanted same weight etc… and it’s something totally different

Dr.Morris79

Microcosm on the CD-32, My old man and me was really looking forward to it, he bought it as a present, we spent the whole of Christmas laughing at it

We was sold a lie!

Sleepwalker

Haha how old were you? Having a hard time picturing a teen/pre teen using a drilling machine.

Sounds like dad needed a drilling machine and chose to kill 2 bird with 1 stone :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A girl I was dating for a year, at the age of 23, got me a Cortana funko pop as my main gift.

To this day it’s the worst gift I’ve ever gotten. It’s the thought that counts? There was no thought. This was “I’m at a checkout and got 6 bucks I can slide his way.”

We broke up less than a month later.

Next time get the Chief pop you dumb bitch.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I remember receiving some 3D pinball game for PS2 when I was expecting Rogue Galaxy.

Kid me got so mad back in the day 😂

I don't remember ever getting anything "bad". I would get a few games and usually they would ask me or I would talk about them for the months leading up to Christmas so it's not like they went to the shop and listened to the Electronic Boutique guy for advice that I can think of off hand.

havoc00

I don't remember ever getting anything "bad". I would get a few games and usually they would ask me or I would talk about them for the months leading up to Christmas so it's not like they went to the shop and listened to the Electronic Boutique guy for advice that I can think of off hand.
The eb guy hyped up the Dreamcast system to the moon when I was a kid ended up getting it on 9/9/99 he said it would be the most powerful system for years no one could compete this was it etc…

Haha how old were you? Having a hard time picturing a teen/pre teen using a drilling machine.

Sounds like dad needed a drilling machine and chose to kill 2 bird with 1 stone :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I was like 21 or 22 and had moved out to a student apartment when I went to university 😅 so nope, he had his own tools..

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
s-l600.jpg

No idea who got me this or why, but it was one of the few SNES games I owned as a kid and thought it was an indecipherable mess and never got through the 2nd fight. I played the shit out of it tho. It wasn’t until years later I realized it was from an established IP in japan.

BigLee74

‘yie ar kung fu’ for the commodore +4.

A cassette (younger viewers may have no idea what I’m on about) that took 10 minutes to load the first 4 fighters. If you beat them, you had the honour of abother 10 minute wait whilst the next 4 loaded, then when you got beat, you had to load the first 4 again.

I don’t want to hear anybody complain about the value of modern games again, nor see 4/10 reviews for games like Starfield. You fuckers don’t even know you’re born.

By the way, that game cost £9.99 in 1985. I am reliably informed that’s worth £37.33 today.

Last edited:

ssringo

Gold Member
Me: "All I want is a Playstation and Final Fantasy 7"

*receives Playstation and Tiger Woods Golf*

Parents: "we can play this together!"

I hate golf. We literally leave town when a major golf tournament comes through. Also, we never once played together.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
maxresdefault.jpg

40579--aero-the-acro-bat-2.png

🤮🤮🤮🤢🤢🤢 I fking hate Aero the acrobat 2

Watching Aero the Acrobat gives me post-traumatic video game stress syndrome.

And also
s-l1600.png

Last edited:
One year my ma got me this ssx real life mini snowboard that you would hook up to the tv and play by balancing on. Thinking back on it now it must have been so expensive and ma was probably so excited thinking I'd love it but... it just didn't play like riding a real snowboard and the graphics weren't great.

I'm sorry I was so unappreciative ma!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
but yes, 95% of the Christmas gifts were great in videogames.... I hated being given clothes when I was little.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I got what I wanted, but I was young and dumb. That Christmas morning I opened up a present, and it was a Game.com. Jesus fuck I tried so hard to will myself to like it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really can't remember. I usually got what I asked for, with few surprises, but they were always good surprises, like when my old man gave me an Xbox.

I'll say my best gift was my aunt gave me Ninja Gaiden for NES, I had no idea the game existed as I was a dumb kid, to this day I have no idea how she picked that out, but, yea, it's Ninja Gaiden, what is there to say.

U1ib6Z5.jpg

The really extra shitty thing about this gift was that I asked for...either contra 2 or Castlevania 3 so when I saw the wrapped box i knew it was a nes game!
I still have it though.

Last edited:

simpatico

Power Glove. I was really young, probably only 9 or 10. It's hard to explain to people how awesome this thing looked in commercials unless you were a certain age when they were marketing it. Imagine a PS6 Pro with 4k NeuraLink and HoloDeck capabilities, and multiply it by 10. That's how good the Power Glove looked. Got it set up, those sensors you put around the TV seemed cheap even to a young lad like myself. We tried all day to make it enjoyable. It just wasn't. This is probably the moment that introduced disappointment to my life tbqh. Sheer excitement just melted away into disenchanted frustration in the span of 12 hours. 3 decades later and I still haven't recovered.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
‘yie ar kung fu’ for the commodore +4.

A cassette (younger viewers may have no idea what I’m on about) that took 10 minutes to load the first 4 fighters. If you beat them, you had the honour of abother 10 minute wait whilst the next 4 loaded, then when you got beat, you had to load the first 4 again.

I don’t want to hear anybody complain about the value of modern games again, nor see 4/10 reviews for games like Starfield. You fuckers don’t even know you’re born.

By the way, that game cost £9.99 in 1985. I am reliably informed that’s worth £37.33 today.
Had yie ar Kung fu for the speccy and loved it. Dont think the 48k speccy had any extra loading? Even bought the sequel which wasnt as good.

havoc00

Power Glove. I was really young, probably only 9 or 10. It's hard to explain to people how awesome this thing looked in commercials unless you were a certain age when they were marketing it. Imagine a PS6 Pro with 4k NeuraLink and HoloDeck capabilities, and multiply it by 10. That's how good the Power Glove looked. Got it set up, those sensors you put around the TV seemed cheap even to a young lad like myself. We tried all day to make it enjoyable. It just wasn't. This is probably the moment that introduced disappointment to my life tbqh. Sheer excitement just melted away into disenchanted frustration in the span of 12 hours. 3 decades later and I still haven't recovered.
At least you were playing with power

Top Bottom