• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When is *right * time to be playing games?

DinoD

We had this fella at work. We knew he was an avid gamer. Every time a new popular game would come out , he'd chucked a sickie. I guess you could do that right.

As I grew older I'm having trouble even gaming at all. From university to work, to university again (and the gf, family), I have no time at all to play the game...

I loved taking hours to explore a game, feeling it, being immersed in it, loving it making love to it having memories widit, all that, and now I just cannot do it at all. So little time so many sooo many games.

Before the PS5 launched I was eager to delve into Demons Souls, it's 2024, I still haven't even got past the first two dudes that come thru on the castle's gates.

How do you adult dudes do this? Do you really just play 30 min - 1 hour and do it just fine? How can you feel the game that way? Last game I played was Alien Isolation, long ass game didn't even got 50% thru it, and it's gone from PS Plus extra, but what an amazing one... I'm on 500 games on the PS5, thru backlog, plus games and whatnot, I wanna play them all, is it possible?

I didn’t even have a gaming system in college. I completely missed that era of gaming. Sin times you get busy and gaming falls to the wayside. When life calms down again, you pick it back up.

I have a family, a job, I go to the gym, etc. so, I basically just game when my wife and kid are gone or after they go to bed.

Some thing are more important than gaming,

As you age, you get more money to buy games, but less time to play them. It’s sort of the opposite of when you are young. …when I retire, I will have a huiuuuuuige backlog of games to catch up on.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Haven't really done any gaming sessions for the past two weeks I think, when I had some crumbs of time, I'd rather hop on GAF and check out memes.

Having kiddo really changed my schedule head over heels, but I do admit that I got more dopamine from my son which games never able to give.

TrebleShot

Steam Deck just keeps on winning.
Even battles it has no right in entering.

Steam Deck with Moonlight/ PS remote play.

Usually chill on sofa whilst the Mrs watching something or sleeps.

If not I'll jump on in the mornings at the weekend or if I have an hour or two between meetings.

killatopak

Gold Member
Call me evil but this is why I think mobile games took over. Easy to just play bits and pieces and not have to commit a long time to a session.

Personally, I still scrutinize which games are worth and which ones waste my time since it’s a huge issue with mobile games. It’s like looking at a needle in pile of garbage.

Currently, I only have three games installed on it which takes up all my playing time on mobile. Stardew Valley, Cut the Rope and Balatro.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
When chores are done and kids are asleep. I’ve also become more selective in what I buy so that I don’t build a huge backlog.

The Switch being portable has helped immensely as well though. Being able to play while people watch other stuff on the TV, in bed before going to sleep etc.

Whenever I get around to Ps5 I’m very likely to purchase a Portal alongside it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom