• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which fast food restaurant gets a bad rap?

UberTag

Cdx2iguW8AAxPoR.jpg

Tagyhag

Taco Bell doesn't make your stomach explode and I say that as someone with a weak stomach.

Papa Johns is obviously not as good as mom and pop places, but their pizza definitely tastes more fresh and less "cartony" than other chains. Plus, that garlic sauce.

McDonalds has good premium burgers, they're just very expensive.

The only time I've ever eaten regularly at Arbys was back when they had some ludicrous "4 for $4" type deal and you could drop 4 dollars and get 4 jr, beef and cheddars.

Damn those were great times to be stoned and have the munchies.

Stopped going when they got rid of the deal, though.

EdmondD

Taco Bell. People on gaf act like it gives you an instant stomach virus. How weak is your stomach god damn. It ain't that bad.

I don't think Taco Bell is likely to make you sick but it's not filling and everything is disappointing.

I recently went to California for the first time and had Del Taco, now that was some damn good fast food tacos. Five Guys kicks In-N-Out in the dick, though.

Tangential question: why do no fast food places in California blanche their fries before frying them for customers? That's a crazy way to make French fries. They're a mushy mess that way. You gotta par-fry 'em before the final fry. Del Taco and In-N-Out both had these monstrosity fries so I figure it must be a Cali thing.

Pretty much every pizza place. It's pizza, it's almost impossible to screw it up. Yeah some are better, but few if any are actually bad.

This is bollocks, I've ordered more than a few pizzas from places that I didn't even finish one piece before chucking the whole pie in the trash. You can EASILY fuck up pizza.

Fbh

Not in the US myself but I like Papa John's.
I mean, it's a big a chain and it's basically fast food so it's obviously not nearly as good as an actual local Pizza restaurant.
But as far as big chains with long opening hours that deliver to almost anywhere go, I think they are pretty good and at least in my country a good step above stuff like Pizza Hut and Domino's.

Same with Taco Bell. It's of course not actual Mexican food and pretty much anyone can make better burritos at home without much effort.
But I still like to go 3-4 times a year , I kinda like the hot sauce and the supreme fries they make here and I've never had any stomach issues from eating Taco Bell nor do I know anyone who had ever had stomach issues from Taco Bell so I'm not sure what the fuck they are serving in the USA.

Also, again not in the USA, but popeyes is like on another tier than KFC. KFC served this disgusting whitish thing that's supposed to be chicken but could honestly but anything, in Popeyes it at least still tastes like chicken

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If you call it Mickey D's, you probably think they get a bad rap lol

My answer is a little backwards because the place is beloved, but I find myself defending In N' Out a whole lot. People love to say that "I tried it and it was supposed to be this amazing burger but it was just OK" without understanding that what people like is the value that you get for the prize, not some gourmet burger shit. Its a really good deal, thats the whole point.

Neo C.

I feel that fast food chains are actually not bad when they operate on rich countries with quality control. McD in Japan is good and not super cheap.

big_z

Mcdonalds sucks at consistency but when its made right it's not bad. You also have to give them props for trying new items where as other fast food chains like taco bell, kfc etc just remix existing items.

McDonald's bad wrap

4288686211_4b4274206e.jpg

I get sweet chili wraps and they're usually good but I wish they had different wrap shells. not sure whats going on with the one in the picture.

Triteon

The only american fast food place i missed when i moved back to australia was Taco Bell. Cheap tasty food. I still miss chalupas

I never got the hate.

shaneo632

In the UK I'd say Wetherspoons. It's got a rep for being super dirty, but it's fast, cheap and tastes damn good. No complaints here.

Shadybiz

Taco Bell. I believe that the number of actual cases of explosive diarrhea immediately after eating it are lower than the Internet has led us to believe.

Razorback

A surprising amount of common sense in this thread. Huge fast food corporations don't get popular by making terrible food. Millions are spent carefully coming up with products designed to please the largest amount of people. It might not be the best thing you've ever had but saying it tastes disgusting requires a large dose of psychological conditioning.

Studies show that preconceived notions about food have a large psychological effect on how you experience it.
I remember a Penn and Teller Bullshit episode where they serve regular Taco Bell in a fancy restaurant in fancy decorated plates and people said the food was amazing and much better than junk fast food.

Big Macs are fucking tasty is what I'm saying.

overcast

McDonald's has the pretty decent Mcdouble and chicken nuggets. Puts them over quite a few of the others.

For the record I never include In N Out or Chick Fil A.

SteveWD40

McDonalds, it has improved a fair amount in the last 5 years.

Supersize me was a work, if I ate almost any prepared food exclusively for a month I would be fucked.

Greddleok

Taco Bell.

I love that they're one of the few places that don't serve things with ketchup, so I don't have to ask "no ketchup" and be inevitably disappointed when my food item comes with ketchup.

OP mentioned Subway, and I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap. Quick, delicious, filling subs. Everyone always mentions their local hoagie shop, which usually ends up being tasteless overrated garbage - at least in my experience. When Quizno's was around, people acted like that was God-tier instead of the awful trash it actually was.

I think the chains with the worst reputations are the ones with the loosest franchise control. When Arbys, Taco Bell and McDonalds are done right they can be rather tasty. But I've seen some really substandard Taco Bells and McD's.

OP mentioned Subway, and I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap. Quick, delicious, filling subs. Everyone always mentions their local hoagie shop, which usually ends up being tasteless overrated garbage - at least in my experience. When Quizno's was around, people acted like that was God-tier instead of the awful trash it actually was.

Subway is not the greatest, but yeah. Jimmy John's is the one that deserves all that hate

I think the chains with the worst reputations are the ones with the loosest franchise control. When Arbys, Taco Bell and McDonalds are done right they can be rather tasty. But I've seen some really substandard Taco Bells and McD's.

McDonald's is really bad about quality control. I've had great sandwiches in a few restaurants, but many of their locations serve garbage

yuoke

Banned
Arby's-They have easily the best fast food onion rings, and the turkey/ranch/bacon and BLT's are great.

Taco Bell-yea, it's not authentic, but everything there still tastes great. Crunchwrap supreme and gordita crunch especially are my favorite.

Subway-It's always trashed as being pure garbage. It's definitely not the most high quality sub you can get, but they are always fine.

Top Bottom