• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which fast food restaurant gets a bad rap?

Subway is not the greatest, but yeah. Jimmy John's is the one that deserves all that hate
I liked Jimmy John's the first couple of times I tried it, and then...blech!

I think Subway gets all the hate because it's (I assume) more widespread than Jimmy John's.

Firehouse Subs is pretty good but I'm not sure how widespread it is - and it's been years since I've had that, so I hope it hasn't gone downhill.

Subway gets it real bad.

I am guilty for hating on them a bit more than I should but I used to adore Subway, before I moved to Germany when I was a kid it was my favorite place to eat, we moved back and it was still awesome. Then over time it seemed like they just kept making their food blander and blander. It's still not bad if you get a $5 footlong but after that I would rather spend the extra dollar or two and get a better sub from somewhere else.

Little Caesar's and Taco Bell

It's just cheap trashy food, not sure why most people are expecting fine dining from them.

And you don't get sick eating there. Considering millions of people eat that food and there isn't an epidemic of clogged toilets

yuoke

Banned
Little Caesar's and Taco Bell

It's just cheap trashy food, not sure why most people are expecting fine dining from them.

And you don't get sick eating there. Considering millions of people eat that food and there isn't an epidemic of clogged toilets

Agree with taco bell.

Little Caesar's I would have agreed with a few years ago, but then more recently I ended up getting it few times and the pizza was like beyond awful, worse than usual. I know it's cheap and always ready, but I couldn't even finish it.

At domino's you can get a large with 3 toppings carryout everyday for just $3 more than one from LC's.

plus

Burger King makes a bunch of weirdass limited time items like the mac and cheese cheeto bites which might turn people off, but I love going there whenever they have the 50 cent soft serve deals in the summer. Also, 1.49 for 10 nuggets is a solid price especially considering McDs does 20 for 5.

Chipotle: great carnitas, guac, and I can get a beer if I dine in. If you look at the contaminated food cases and where they're happening, it's pretty obvious the culprit is a bad produce vendor for those affected regions. Sure, not properly cleaning/cooking can contribute but if it were a company wide issue it would be all over the country and it isn't.

Taco Bell: I'll throw my work behind what others said- if you're legitimately getting sick then you might have some sort of allergy or condition. Otherwise you're probably lying and just want to get in on the tired old diarrhea joke.

As with all fast food it's all about quality control and staffing. I've seen brand new shiny stores open up, but they quickly turn to shit because you can tell they just brought over all the shitty employees from a nearby location to run the new one. If the regional managers don't care either then it never improves.

Regiruler

Arby's became the scapegoat for fast food jokes because it's at a just right level of pervasiveness where it was common enough for everybody to have seen one in person, but almost nobody lives near one. It's been fighting an undeserved stigma ever since.

Granted, the effort to fight that stigma has produced a crazy quality and invested social media campaign to the point that I'm convinced other companies pay Arby's for media posts.

I liked Jimmy John's the first couple of times I tried it, and then...blech!

I think Subway gets all the hate because it's (I assume) more widespread than Jimmy John's.

Firehouse Subs is pretty good but I'm not sure how widespread it is - and it's been years since I've had that, so I hope it hasn't gone downhill.

Firehouse Subs are legit I would say 90% of the time. They do extensive checks, have great service, make it fresh (and HOT) on the spot every time. Plus over 50 sauces to choose from always helps.

I will pay the $12 Firehouse combo over a $7-8 Subway/Quiznos/Blimpies combo anyday. Plus some of your money goes to funding fire stations!

Arby's became the scapegoat for fast food jokes because it's at a just right level of pervasiveness where it was common enough for everybody to have seen one in person, but almost nobody lives near one. It's been fighting an undeserved stigma ever since.

Granted, the effort to fight that stigma has produced a crazy quality and invested social media campaign to the point that I'm convinced other companies pay Arby's for media posts.

This too. Good summary.

Fuchsdh

I'd say all of them. Fast food is what it says on the tin—it's mediocre food that basically tastes the same no matter where or when you get it. I suppose there is better and worse fast food, but it's all occupying the same general bracket there doesn't seem to be a point in arguing about it. If you want better food, pay for it.

Replicant

I feel that fast food chains are actually not bad when they operate on rich countries with quality control. McD in Japan is good and not super cheap.

Fast food chains in Japan should be disqualified in this discussion. Their qualities are miles ahead their counterparts in other countries. Their menus are usually quite different as well.

Taco bell.

I mean yeah having like 3 quesalupas, burrito and mexican pizza will probably make you explode but that amount of food anywhere probably would. The assumption that one taco from there will cause explosive diarrhea is wrong.

It's actually really good if you're going vegan. Replace cheese and sour cream with pico de gallo and meat with black beans on almost any item.

all of them, pretty much

people always talk about how McDonald's is shitty food but I've always liked it and I don't really care about the haters

McDonald's has always been pretty consistent for me. I've never had an upset stomach either. Had a friend rant at me about how ashamed I should be over eating an Eggmcmuffin for breakfast like I was eating pure filth. Calorie-wise it ain't even that bad and the eggs are done on the spot unlike the microwave liquid ones. Quarter pounder w cheese, nuggets, mcchicken, eggmcmuffin and hash, they've always been good (although I rarely eat there).

Taco Bell is one that I have a 50/50 chance of it making my stomach churn an hour later. Wish it was different because I like some of the food there.

Raw64life

Arby's the thread.

Never even saw an Arby's until after I was in college. All I knew about it was that the Simpsons shit all over it.

Reluctant went and tried it. It was delicious.

Ponn

Banned
Papa johns is awful. You are paying extra for a piece of cardboard with sparse toppings. I get so tired of work places making it there go to pizza place to order from.

I think McDonald's gets the biggest share of flack thrown at it but you know damn well everyone is still going there. You all are already addicted to their fries, the chemicals were in your system since you were a kid. Nothing has yet to top their nuggets either.

Arby's roast beef (trademarked should be your clue) is gross. I've seen the slab of gelatinous meat product they shave, I ran away. They do have some good things though. Their chicken sandwiches are pretty good, curly fries, jamicha shake, ham sandwiches. They had a pot roast sandwich with this gravy on it once that was spectacular but they never brought it back. That thing was sloppy as fuck but it was glorious.

I mean, look, they have legitimately poisoned hundreds of people with norovirus and e. coli in the last couple years alone. That's a pretty good reason for a restaurant to get a bad rap. My organization was one of the ones that got sick; took out over half our office for a week+ with norovirus. And that was one of the early cases; the fact that they just poisoned 100+ people again a couple weeks ago? No, fuck Chipotle, they deserve EVERY piece of bad press they get. Just because you personally haven't gotten sick doesn't dismiss the hundreds of people they've poisoned across multiple locations in several states.

Now, Arby's on the other hand... Why does Arby's have such a bad rap? I feel like it's become a running gag with The Simpsons and the Daily Show perpetuating the myth because it makes for a good joke. But Arby's is passable. It's not good food by any stretch, but it's no worse than McDonald's or Taco Bell or whatever. I mean, granted, I don't actually eat at Arby's, but the last thing I had there was just fine.

Top Bottom