• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which one is the best or definitive cut for Blade Runner 1?

So in preparation for Blade Runner 2049 I got my hands on a 5-disc special edition of the original Blade Runner Blu-ray but there is one problem. This collection has many different cuts!

What does GAF think? Which one is the definitive or the best one? The original theatrical? The director's? The Final? Some other? Do tell!

Xion385

The Final Cut.

The director of 2049 said his movie is a sequel to The Final Cut, not the theatrical cut.

jambo

v0iMHoUl.png

Spoo

Personally preferred the International Cut, but I'd sign off just fine on the Final Cut as well. When I got the 5 edition version, I watched them all and found things I liked in most.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I saw it yesterday with a friend of mine, but I'm not sure what the cut is, can someone clarify it for me?

Ending Spoilers (!!!) -
After Roy dies, there's a scene where Deckard find Rachael sleeping in his apartment, then they both go to the elevator, but Deckard finds one of those origami Gaff is always making.

Dommo

Major points:

Theatrical: Cheeseball, studio-sanctioned narration. Cheeseball, studio-sanctioned ending.
Director's Cut: Removes these, introduces the unicorn, couple of other minor changes
Final Cut: The only cut fully endorsed and finalised by Ridley Scott. Very similar to Director's, but makes a variety of minor changes to fix up earlier problems including minor graphical and continuity errors. Has a fresh colour grade. This is probably the cut I'd recommend.

They're all roughly the same length, all feature roughly the same plot points, but with some added dialogue here and some removed scenes there stimulates a whole lotta discussion and controversy. Safest bet these days is to roll with The Final Cut. It's the cleanest, crispest and easiest to obtain.

Major points:

Theatrical: Cheeseball, studio-sanctioned narration. Cheeseball, studio-sanctioned ending.
Director's Cut: Removes these, introduces the unicorn, couple of other minor changes
Final Cut: The only cut fully endorsed and finalised by Ridley Scott. Very similar to Director's, but makes a variety of minor changes to fix up earlier problems including minor graphical and continuity errors. Has a fresh colour grade. This is probably the cut I'd recommend.

They're all roughly the same length, all feature roughly the same plot points, but with some added dialogue here and some removed scenes there stimulates a whole lotta discussion and controversy. Safest bet these days is to roll with The Final Cut. It's the cleanest, crispest and easiest to obtain.
Thanks for that rundown. I was intimidated by this 5 disc collection of a movie cut in 5 different ways.

I'll watch the Final Cut then.

I saw it yesterday with a friend of mine, but I'm not sure what the cut is, can someone clarify it for me?

Ending Spoilers (!!!) -
After Roy dies, there's a scene where Deckard find Rachael sleeping in his apartment, then they both go to the elevator, but Deckard finds one of those origami Gaff is always making.

Either Director's or Final Cut.

Do you remember if the unicorn memory sequence was continuous, or was it intercut with shots of Deckard? If it was, then it was the Final Cut. That's the easiest way to distinguish the two.

Dommo

Thanks for that rundown. I was intimidated by this 5 disc collection of a movie cut in 5 different ways.

I'll watch the Final Cut then.

Yep sounds good. Out of interest, the other two cuts' major points:

Workprint: This is a rough version that predates the theatrical. It leaked in the early 90s, which is what spurred on these countless different versions. No narration, no cheeseball ending, different title sequence and a few other tidbits. It's got a bit of a following these days, but the transfer's pretty rubbish and it's rough around the edges so definitely good for a followup watch, not a first go-around.
International: Almost exactly the same as the theatrical, with some re-inserted violence that was taken out of the theatrical. This added violence was also re-inserted into the Final Cut.

Parahan

Hollywood reporter has recently published a decent comparison article.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-original-final-cut-version-watch-1044897

This Final Cut is where newcomers should be dropped in. It trusts its audience and it leaves big questions vague and (relatively) unanswered. A surreal dream sequence adds layers of depth and meaning, completely altering the interpretive heft of a final scene, while continuity errors are scrubbed away with the same polish keeping the visuals spick-and-span. Come for the quality of the image transfer, stay for the quality of the idea transfer.

holygeesus

Banned
probably the same master with much less bandwidth. I am always amazed people compare internet download to retail disc quality.

You shouldn't be amazed, as I didn't offer any query on 'quality'. I want to watch the Final Cut and don't own a UHD player, so rather than pay out £250+ on a UHD player, then import the UHD disc from the US, I considered spending £5.99 on the iTunes version it at least offers the same colour timing etc.

Thanks for the condescension though!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Final Cut is the best version. The others are all worth watching, though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Workprint, easily.

Schlomo

Everyone saying workprint is making me cry. I found out recently that my disc that should have it is a mis-print that's identical to disc 1.

Osahi

WHatever you do, don't watch the theatrical cut, unless you are a big fan of the film and have seen the other cuts and want to see how to fuck up a masterpiece in montage.

I'd go for the final cut. I think it's what Ridley Scott regards as the best version too.

mrkgoo

Just as an aside, Blade Runner is one of my favourite movies of all time.

I'd love to hear some impressions of people seeing it for the first time, especially comparison with the sequel (although I know most won't watch the sequel first...)

wazoo

You shouldn't be amazed, as I didn't offer any query on 'quality'. I want to watch the Final Cut and don't own a UHD player, so rather than pay out £250+ on a UHD player, then import the UHD disc from the US, I considered spending £5.99 on the iTunes version it at least offers the same colour timing etc.

Thanks for the condescension though!

What I mean is that it would be interesting to know if the new 4K master processed through the depreciation of Itunes lower bandwidth is anything better than the old master rendition.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You watch the Final Cut with the Work Print soundtrack, the original versions Deckard narration and the Director's cut credits. Any other way is incorrect.

Top Bottom