• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles 2 |OT| of WKC 1+1

Let me in

Pumped by all the changes, just hope most of the weapons aren't useless. Seems like I was the only bow user online and everyone else was wearing no equipment and using broadswords.

Lucis

Let me in said:
Pumped by all the changes, just hope most of the weapons aren't useless. Seems like I was the only bow user online and everyone else was wearing no equipment and using broadswords.

When I was playing on JP server, most people did use 2h sword/axe, but everyone had holy spelt learnt to a certain extend, also there are tanks in game and rarely a mage...

This time around, magic is a little bit more useful and bows are actually pretty good used right. Bow is like a healer choice of weaopn now

DMPrince said:
how much is the graphics improved for those that are playing the second game if they played the first.

not much... if any

Lucis

Mob hunt updated!
http://www.lucisz.com/blog/2010/07/22/white-knight-chronicles-2-mob-hunt-part-1/

All those videos are spoil-free

59ROq6Uo2RE.jpg

WAYADYHYfZc.jpg

Lcrj9mfVvQk.jpg

AtZEufQMh1M.jpg

jiggle

Kirashi said:
Gameplay set 7,
very story heavy, very good cut scenes, nice surprises, awesome stuff. how avatar got his own knight. lots of good things

http://www.lucisz.com/blog/2010/07/21/white-knight-chronicles-2-gameplay-set-7/

BIIG SPOILER! Don't higlight if u don't wanna know!

what a fucked up
time paradox
so kara wasn't the dark knight at the start of WKS1
will become one in the present time in WKS2
then travels back to the past in WKS1 to meet the PT
and then have herself killed?

or did she not die? hmm

Lucis

jiggle said:
BIIG SPOILER! Don't higlight if u don't wanna know!

what a fucked up
time paradox
so kara wasn't the dark knight at the start of WKS1
will become one in the present time in WKS2
then travels back to the past in WKS1 to meet the PT
and then have herself killed?

or did she not die? hmm

Well, no she was the black knight at the start of WKC1. It's just the guy that wore that armor set wasn't her during the invasion.
In WKC2 you go back in time three times to get three different things. set 7 was the last time you went back in time. and that's where you saw that video.
Kara didn't die. she said she thought she was died, but something told her that she's still got unsettled business. She woke up and was in folia already. She disguised herself as scardyne to avoid detection.

Lucis

Mob hunt 2 up
http://www.lucisz.com/blog/2010/07/23/white-knight-chronicles-2-mob-hunt-part-2/

the last battle in this set is really interesting.

3 non-giant mobs (that’s actually a lot harder than the other mob hunts at the same level). Those are evil/devil class mobs where there’s a damage shield that simply blocks all physical damages. I always knew you can use elemental spells (elemental attacks don’t work) to just damage through the shield, and since normal mobs don’t have that much hp, it usually works. However these three has like a gazillion hp so that was out of the question. It took me a while to go through the different skill lets to finally find holy light under the holy tree (DUH?!) to be able to remvoe those annoying shields for a short period of time.

kmZeQCrGUfY.jpg

7eb-Y7HnD68.jpg

NPUqCSkByIE.jpg

pnMYf33PSj0.jpg

rykomatsu

Kirashi,

How's the game, overall? I was going to get this, but some other priorities came up so I had to scrap my summer gaming budget for the time being :( Story still as orthodox/generic as the first or improved?

Lucis

rykomatsu said:
Kirashi,

How's the game, overall? I was going to get this, but some other priorities came up so I had to scrap my summer gaming budget for the time being :( Story still as orthodox/generic as the first or improved?

It's a lot better. the final part of the game really has an epic feeling.

Lucis

Die Squirrel Die said:
Have you finished it? Are there many new areas, 'cause most of your vids have been the older places?

Story wise I am right before the last battle. however I still have 2 set of videos to process/upload/organize before the video catches up with my game progress.

one of those sets will be up today! (set 8)
set 9 will be up tomorrow the latest.

Those two sets are really awesome, really gives you an epic feeling that was missing in the first game.

there aren't that many new areas in the game.

folia is the only new town

lost forrest, where you start the game's second part, is the first new area. you can see that in the first set of my game play video.
the real second new area, a volcanic island, is not until near the end of the game, set 8 and 9 features those areas.
the last area opens up after you finishes the game. I'll have that up also once i reach that point.

Anyways with that said. here's some video of the other world, one of the new area. This is also a set where I used my avatar's knight a few times. This is the area you will gather item to synth avatar knights' equipments.

http://www.lucisz.com/blog/2010/07/...les-2-new-area-other-dimension-avatar-knight/

sample pictures:

JLAAuNJup7U.jpg

MurIHefNfXc.jpg

6QG0KdErRmw.jpg

9_JlzJVxURQ.jpg

Jigsaw

Banned
Kirashi said:
Well, no she was the black knight at the start of WKC1. It's just the guy that wore that armor set wasn't her during the invasion.
In WKC2 you go back in time three times to get three different things. set 7 was the last time you went back in time. and that's where you saw that video.
Kara didn't die. she said she thought she was died, but something told her that she's still got unsettled business. She woke up and was in folia already. She disguised herself as scardyne to avoid detection.

so kara is still alive?thank goodness,by far my most favourite character of the cast

Ravidrath

I had fun with the first game, even though the trophies and grind was ridiculous.

How are those this time around? Is there, like... a trophy for beating the game yet?

Lucis

Jigsaw said:
so kara is still alive?thank goodness,by far my most favourite character of the cast

a character with out the ability to transform to knight... is really useless in the later part of this game though, there's just no way they can compete with someone have a knight

Ravidrath said:
I had fun with the first game, even though the trophies and grind was ridiculous.

How are those this time around? Is there, like... a trophy for beating the game yet?

yes, stupid trophy to college xxx amount of item, finish yyy number of quest in S rank are still there. however there's also a trophy to finish the first half of the game, and a trophy to finish the second half of the game

Ravidrath

Kirashi said:
yes, stupid trophy to college xxx amount of item, finish yyy number of quest in S rank are still there. however there's also a trophy to finish the first half of the game, and a trophy to finish the second half of the game

"First half" meaning the first game, or first half of the second?

Lucis

Sykotik said:
Hey, Kirashi. Sorry if this have been answered before.

What kind of capture equipment and HDDs are you running?

1x http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SQE1O0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
2x http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MX0VJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (you actually probably don't need this level of speed actually lol)
1x http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002673EW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ravidrath said:
"First half" meaning the first game, or first half of the second?

first game. by loading a clear file from the first game you automaticly get the first trophy

rykomatsu

Kirashi said:

No HDCP issues or does the ViewHD strip HDCP?

Also, atleast with black magic intensity, you could get away with 1 HDD if capturing m-jpeg (but a relatively fast cpu) but needed a 2 disc raid0 setup for raw capture (slow CPU ok)

Lucis

rykomatsu said:
No HDCP issues or does the ViewHD strip HDCP?

Also, atleast with black magic intensity, you could get away with 1 HDD if capturing m-jpeg (but a relatively fast cpu) but needed a 2 disc raid0 setup for raw capture (slow CPU ok)

well... this is weird.
the product advertises with out hdcp. but there's no way to even view the image from hdcp encoded end point unless the display/midpoint device also has hdcp (unless it's a simple passthrough for encrypted signal anyways). So, this card, with it's software is able to display decrypted images, however it blocks you from recording it. however anotehr program can tap into the frame it's serving once you leave it's own program open.
so i am using vhcapture to capture the raw from that.
mjpeg isn't good enough ;/ uncompressed raw lol!!!!

I skipped the first one but have to confess im really drawn by the pictures in this thread, hopefully WKC1 did well enough in USA and europe for this to get released.

Lucis

kyo_daikun said:
I skipped the first one but have to confess im really drawn by the pictures in this thread, hopefully WKC1 did well enough in USA and europe for this to get released.

I was actually done with the game last night... was satisfied, clocked exactly 40 hours, that includes all the mob hunt/side stuff I did. Strongly recommended IMO, ESPECIALLY to those of you who have NOT played the first iteration. You can easily clock in 60-70 good hours of fun here.

Will finish uploading all WKC2 videos with in today and tomorrow.

fionel

Japanese user review site MK2 has 29 reviews as of this writing and has an average rating of 39/100. People are generally saying while the game is essentially worse than the first game...

I've been reading the reviews as they come in in the last week and here's what I remember off the top of my head.

- number of new areas are even less than the total number of areas in wkc1. In the second part of the story you have to backtrack quite a few of the old areas too.
- though avatar knight is a much touted new feature you do not gain access to it til almost the end of the story.
- you need to be above certain GR to be able to customize your knight (I could be wrong on this one)
- the new hidden dungeon mentioned in the PV movie is only accessible after you reach GR21
- battle speed is faster than 1 but if you go heavy armored the speed would become just as slow as wkc1. Also there is a tendency that you can miss several times in a row adding to the frustration
- story in part 2 is weaker than even part 1. The ending is so short it's laughable.
- battle is mostly about spamming skills with attributes that monsters are weak to, and it doesnt take much effort to find out what skills are effective against what monsters.

I was gonna get the game after I finish xenoblade and expected Level-5 to actually learn from the mistakes in 1 and build up and polish on what they already have, but after reading the reviews I guess I would be up for disappointment again...

Ravidrath

Kirashi said:
first game. by loading a clear file from the first game you automaticly get the first trophy

Ha, was going to ask that next.

So does your GR carry over, or do you have to start that all over again?

I'll pick it up if/when it comes out in English, but I'm disappointed by the stuff after the limited number of areas, etc.

For some reason reading this thread is making me want to play the first game again... but since all I really have left in that game is to grind GR missions endlessly, I'm guessing that will pass.

Lucis

- number of new areas are even less than the total number of areas in wkc1. In the second part of the story you have to backtrack quite a few of the old areas too.
this should never have been two games, it should have been just a single game fromt he start

- though avatar knight is a much touted new feature you do not gain access to it til almost the end of the story.
i'm fine with that really, it's really meant for online, which comes usually after the story ends. the avatar's knight plays a big role in the final battle... i won't tell you why now but with out it the final battle will be lol

- you need to be above certain GR to be able to customize your knight (I could be wrong on this one)
doing some side quest/mobhunt on the way to the story, i made GR13 and i started second half with GR 9.5. they made gr a lot easier to get. And you can get a initial set of knight stuff from chests in other dimension. Again knight customization is not meant untill you get online. the first set of good knight stuff comes from GR18 i believe, it's really eays to get 18 in this game.

- the new hidden dungeon mentioned in the PV movie is only accessible after you reach GR21
ya, freaking hate this. and all the stuff there are recommanded to level 80 (level cap). I wanted to take a stroll around that area even if i can't get online, but i can't =( I wanted to video it!!! damn it

- battle speed is faster than 1 but if you go heavy armored the speed would become just as slow as wkc1. Also there is a tendency that you can miss several times in a row adding to the frustration
that's not neccessarily true. I wore heavy armor and use 2h sword on my avatar, i still felt its a bit faster. also it makes sense to miss some times, it's not that often. there are sub skill in other trees you can get (and you should get) for accuracy up if you are using 2h weapon anyways. plus 2h sword's got accuracy up active skill you can use. skill chain NEVER misses also

- story in part 2 is weaker than even part 1. The ending is so short it's laughable.
story is all about everything come together. a lot of question answered. some wtf moments but hey it's jrpg. ending felt way more epic

- battle is mostly about spamming skills with attributes that monsters are weak to, and it doesnt take much effort to find out what skills are effective against what monsters.
i'd think that's a good thing, with bow user having miyabure (basicly a skill to check weakness and resistance). isn't most rpg about hitting weak spot for massive damage? lol

Lucis

Ravidrath said:
Ha, was going to ask that next.

So does your GR carry over, or do you have to start that all over again?

I'll pick it up if/when it comes out in English, but I'm disappointed by the stuff after the limited number of areas, etc.

For some reason reading this thread is making me want to play the first game again... but since all I really have left in that game is to grind GR missions endlessly, I'm guessing that will pass.

GR carries over

Lucis

Ravidrath said:
Huh, that is tempting, then... can work on ridiculous WKC1 trophies while simultaneously preparing for 2.

It automatically sets your level back to 35, right?

yes, there's something about the higher your level in wkc1 the more stat you get in your start armor if you load. but who cares about that... all the GR stuff you made in wkc1 can last you VERY LONG in this game lol

jiggle

to watch or not to watch hmmm

5 knights battle looked so badass
why'd they gotta save it for the very end

Shouta

Kirashi, do you play much online on Geonet? I still have my Geonet code and I haven't plugged it in yet. Was wondering if I should or not.

Lucis

Shouta said:
Kirashi, do you play much online on Geonet? I still have my Geonet code and I haven't plugged it in yet. Was wondering if I should or not.

i can't play on geonet since i used my us account to play the game, and well... i found out the hard way that you can't play online unless you are using jp account to play the game, reason: unlike DLC, service list stuff is region locked.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Kirashi, in your opinion how do the different weapons stack up this time around? Is it more balanced? In the first game spear was the best weapon end game due to the high damage and insane defense. You could easily solo any mission as a spear user. Is it still like that? How is the bow this time? Are mages more useful? They were only useful as healers in the early and middle stages of the first game and after that they were completely worthless if you had a decent party IMO.

Edit: I see that you can't connect to geonet, so never mind I guess. Still if anyone here has played the game and would like to share their opinions that'd be great.

Lucis

Baron Aloha said:
Kirashi, in your opinion how do the different weapons stack up this time around? Is it more balanced? In the first game spear was the best weapon end game due to the high damage and insane defense. You could easily solo any mission as a spear user. Is it still like that? How is the bow this time? Are mages more useful? They were only useful as healers in the early and middle stages of the first game and after that they were completely worthless if you had a decent party IMO.

Edit: I see that you can't connect to geonet, so never mind I guess. Still if anyone here has played the game and would like to share their opinions that'd be great.

i donno, never played the previous game to "end game", upto GR10 when the game first came out, 2h sword axe still ruled the world.

bow this time around is actually pretty useful, but because it's pierce only, slash and blunt attack all take mp, this kinda ruins it a bit, nto sure how it will be end game... magic, well still kinda useless IMO. but sure i can see them making some mob weak to element and strong against all 3 physical attack for online mission

Shouta

Kirashi said:
i can't play on geonet since i used my us account to play the game, and well... i found out the hard way that you can't play online unless you are using jp account to play the game, reason: unlike DLC, service list stuff is region locked.

Buh? They changed it so you can't play on Geonet on your US account? I swore you could with the original.

While this threads bumped - when you carry over a character from the first game do the skill point bonuses from reincarnating carry over as well? I've still got one reincarnation to do, was wondering if it's worth it?

Lucis

Shouta said:
Buh? They changed it so you can't play on Geonet on your US account? I swore you could with the original.

they make you to enter the product code this time around, which gets a "service list" thing attached to your psn, that's region locked, yes the original one was fine. this service list thing really worries me for future PS3 online game models

Die Squirrel Die said:
While this threads bumped - when you carry over a character from the first game do the skill point bonuses from reincarnating carry over as well? I've still got one reincarnation to do, was wondering if it's worth it?

level 35 and 200 skill points, that's it no matter how many times you tensei.

Shouta

Kirashi said:
they make you to enter the product code this time around, which gets a "service list" thing attached to your psn, that's region locked, yes the original one was fine. this service list thing really worries me for future PS3 online game models

Ugh, so I can't get on Geonet either.

Shouta

Finally finished Part 1 again. It transitions into part 2 automatically after finishing for the most part. You get a screen saying the title of the game and then into it you go. In retrospect where they ended in part 1 made a lot of sense for a first game but definitely the handling was bad story-wise.

Gameplay changes make the game move A LOT faster and it really shaves off time on the clock during Part 1.

Top Bottom