• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles 2 |OT| of WKC 1+1

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
creid said:
Is this a joke? IIRC in Layton games there is no "creative" reason behind 95% of the puzzles. It's all "Hey, you just crossed the street. That reminds me of a street-crossing puzzle that I'd like your help with..."

That's true of the first game, but less of the subsequent games. They made a concerted effort to try to integrate more of the puzzles.

Gvaz

Banned
DMPrince said:
not surprising lol.
The review basically goes "I've never played WKC before, what are any of these things they're telling me? What do you mean this is a sequel to a game? Why isn't it hand holding me, wahhh"

maxxpower

Does the European version also come with the remastered White Knight Chronicles 1? Is there a separate European and UK version?

Jigsaw

Banned
maxxpower said:
Does the European version also come with the remastered White Knight Chronicles 1? Is there a separate European and UK version?

there is a huge text on the front boxart to make sure everyone should have known by now that wkc1 is included

White-Knight-Chronicles-2.jpg

Lain

My copy shipped, but since it is the weekend, I'll only get it Monday or Tuesday.
I've heard a bit more of the opening sung in English thanks to the latest trailer on PSN, and I dig it.

i thought the first game was okay. the next will be pretty good going by first impressions. i'll be playing this one starting next week.

should i replay the first? still thinking about that, with faster battles it could be worth it.

anyone who beat it, how's the story and characters? is it engaging in the way that push you to keep playing because you want to know what happens next? that's really what I need, I don't really care if characters are a bit generic or cliche.

Can you use the code for the online pass of the UK version with any PAL account or only an UK account? Because I want to import the UK version (cheaper) but of course I want to play it online with my normal, non-UK, PAL PSN account.

jRPG

Gvaz said:
The review basically goes "I've never played WKC before, what are any of these things they're telling me? What do you mean this is a sequel to a game? Why isn't it hand holding me, wahhh"

It does read like that doesn't it? Strangely it was the same reviewer who reviewed the original, and even gave it a 7. Reading both reviews, his opinion seems to contradict numerous times. It's a pretty abysmal review, his negatives are bewildering, even factually incorrect.

I hadn't played WKC for around a year, and there wasn't a single issue I had with the 'jargon rich' opening at all. It seemed pretty simple to me. The original is on the same disc, there's no logical reason anyone would jump into II without playing it, so I can't see how it's a negative.

And his comments on the battle system are equally as dubious. Before I started battle it clearly stated that a full explanation of the battle mechanics where available in the help menu. It also popped up a page before battle showing the new stun mechanic, and how the system differed from the original WKC. Surely that's the easiest way to do things? Not forcing people who played the original (It's on the same disc, there's no excuse) to go over the same tutorial for the battle system, and providing all the information in an easily accessible place for newcomers.

I'm very skeptical of how much time the reviewer actually put into that review.

I'm enjoying the game so far, it is very much WKC1.5 but I'm enjoying it for those very reasons. I'd genuinely hate the game if it were what the reviewer seemed to want. Dumbed down hand holding trip to re-establish my party and re-purchase all my old skills? No thanks, I happy jumping into the story where I left off, with my party and skills and some new ones to purchase.

I have WKC unopened here still, and have heard that there was a patch released for it few days ago. How different is the first game in this one compared with the vanilla? Is it worth waiting for this one to become available or can I start the original while waiting?

I completed WKC1 and started a second playthrough to get the extra chests/items. Will my save file from WKC1 work with the remastered WKC1 so I can continue where I left off and are the trophies the same/compatible?

Synless said:
Wait, is this out in the US as well? Amazon has it listed as December still.

Just Europe.

I can't decide whether or not to get it :/ I'm going to check out all the OP videos and then maybe pick it up on Monday. I'm interested in the PSP game as well.

StuBurns

Banned
JaskoX1 said:
For someone who has never played a jrpg, would It be nonsensical for me to pick wkc2 up?
It wouldn't be my choice of first exposure to the genre (I'd recommend Chrono Trigger on DS or even Pokemon), but it's pretty accessible, clear tutorials, lots of help menu stuff. It's much better than I expected.

SolidusDave said:
Can you use the code for the online pass of the UK version with any PAL account or only an UK account? Because I want to import the UK version (cheaper) but of course I want to play it online with my normal, non-UK, PAL PSN account.

i can tell you once i get my copy, if nobody else has answered til then.

StuBurns said:
It wouldn't be my choice of first exposure to the genre (I'd recommend Chrono Trigger on DS or even Pokemon), but it's pretty accessible, clear tutorials, lots of help menu stuff. It's much better than I expected.

Are there clear goals that you're working towards in the single player? I know there's a story but is that just surrounded by fetch quests or are there dungeons etc.?

StuBurns

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Are there clear goals that you're working towards in the single player? I know there's a story but is that just surrounded by fetch quests or are there dungeons etc.?
I'm not far enough in to say, the first couple of hours are nice, you have a constant goal, but the traversal leaves you plenty of alternate routes, the combat is nice and fluid, the way you move in and out of battles is great. It's probably the most organic JRPG I've played in that respect.

If you want to play one on the PS3, it's certainly the one I'd recommend based on what I've seen so far. But I've heard plenty of bad things, so maybe it goes to shit later on.

StuBurns said:
I'm not far enough in to say, the first couple of hours are nice, you have a constant goal, but the traversal leaves you plenty of alternate routes, the combat is nice and fluid, the way you move in and out of battles is great. It's probably the most organic JRPG I've played in that respect.

If you want to play one on the PS3, it's certainly the one I'd recommend based on what I've seen so far. But I've heard plenty of bad things, so maybe it goes to shit later on.

I'll give it a go I think. I'm really in the mood for a big screen JRPG at the moment and I'm not seeing much else on the horizon.

StuBurns

Banned
Baloonatic said:
I'll give it a go I think. I'm really in the mood for a big screen JRPG at the moment and I'm not seeing much else on the horizon.
There's certainly nothing coming this year. Ni no Kuni is the only peer, and we don't know for sure it's coming at all, let alone when. Although we should hear something in August.

StuBurns said:
There's certainly nothing coming this year. Ni no Kuni is the only peer, and we don't know for sure it's coming at all, let alone when. Although we should hear something in August.

Yeah, I'll settle for this. I've always been interested in the first one but by the time I'd decided to get it, this was announced in Japan so I thought I might as well hold out for it. I have a fairly high tolerance for mediocrity anyway if it turns out that way. Plus, two for the price one!

Do you think you'll be playing the online at all?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm only going to buy this if someone who hated the first like me (AKA isn't crazy) comes in saying it's a huge improvement.

StuBurns

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Yeah, I'll settle for this. I've always been interested in the first one but by the time I'd decided to get it, this was announced in Japan so I thought I might as well hold out for it. I have a fairly high tolerance for mediocrity anyway if it turns out that way. Plus, two for the price one!

Do you think you'll be playing the online at all?
Same thing happened for me, I was excited about the first one, but I heard bad things so I wanted to hold out a while for it to go down in price a little, by that time I'd heard about WKC2 including the first so I thought I'd wait. And with LA Noire trade in price still being high I thought I'd grab it and not bother waiting for a price cut.

I'll certainly play the online yeah, if I'll stick with it I'm not sure, it's always appeared to been the most interesting aspect of the game looking at GAFs response from the first one and the reviews I'd read.

Is the online connected over the two games? I guess you choose a character to take online and it can be the same as the one in single player?

I'm just wondering if there is a single online mode covering both games or if they each have a separate thing going on.

StuBurns

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Is the online connected over the two games? I guess you choose a character to take online and it can be the same as the one in single player?
When you start the game you get to make a character, who will be your online character, and s/he is in the single player, but you don't control that person, they're in your party.

I don't know how the online works in that regard, but I think there is a single one.

StuBurns said:
When you start the game you get to make a character, who will be your online character, and s/he is in the single player, but you don't control that person, they're in your party.

Right, so it's the Monster Hunter approach. I like that.

JaskoX1

Banned
StuBurns said:
Alright cool. I've played the Pokemon games on the GB Color back in the day >.< hehe

Ashodin

I'm down for online and this game, I had the first but never finished, looking to go through both of them (and the first one again, I suppose). Going to be lots of fun!

PARANO1A

Ah, screw it. Going to pick this up today for the long weekend in Australia despite normally trusting Eurogamer reviews. Hopefully it's reasonably decent and fills the big JRPG void. Don't think I've played one since FF13 :/

Bought and playing WNC1.

Story missions are piece of cake, but the guild missions are, in single player, as difficult as they should be in multiplayer. I got my characters in level 9-8 and I was sodomized by two giant trolls at the end of the first guild mission (6+).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Does anyone know what exactly was revamped in the remake of the first?

Do you still have to play through the first to play the second?

Was the battle system sped up any (in remastered first and second)? Or does everything still feel sluggish.

Xilium

xelios said:
Does anyone know what exactly was revamped in the remake of the first?

Do you still have to play through the first to play the second?

Was the battle system sped up any (in remastered first and second)? Or does everything still feel sluggish.
A lot of the changes can be found here.

I'll probably pickup the game eventually. Gotta finish Trails in the Sky first.

gembel

so is it possible to import WKC 1 US ver data to WKC 2 EU ver?? :(

I have WKC 1 US ver, but I really want to play this game and thinking about getting WKC 2 EU ver..

is the story finish in part 2 or does it have cliffhanger ending? are we going to get WKC3 with 1 and 2 bundled in sometime in the future? I was sure this is a 2 part game and the story is finished in 2, but my friend keep telling me it's a trilogy and there will be part 3 coming.

StuBurns

Banned
Played a little more WKC1, I'm really enjoying it. I know a lot of GAF weren't keen, I'm wondering the game goes downhill or those people didn't really enjoy it even at the start?

Right now it's looking like the best command RPG I've played since FFX2.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
StuBurns said:
Played a little more WKC1, I'm really enjoying it. I know a lot of GAF weren't keen, I'm wondering the game goes downhill or those people didn't really enjoy it even at the start?

Right now it's looking like the best command RPG I've played since FFX2.

I just didn't really like the sluggish battle system, but enjoyed all the other aspects. Everything seemed unresponsive and it killed it for me; hoping it's fixed in II. I will probably buy it if the word is good.

StuBurns

Banned
Unresponsive is an interesting word, for some reason I was under the impression WKCs was an action RPG, and I always thought it looked really clunky for that, I was pretty surprised it's far more traditional. I think they did an incredible job of integrating traditional turn based RPG combat with a much more organic environment and traversal. It's kind of taking after FFXII in that regard, although I never liked XII.

The fact it's fairly quick makes it hard to be as strategic as it should be, it's a little messy in that sense.

Go_Ly_Dow

Me and two of my friends are getting this when the price gets slashed in half (so within the next 1-3 weeks).

We're mainly getting it for the online component.

Top Bottom