• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do all "emo" vocalists sound like their nose is plugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

Let's not get into another fight over the meaning of "emo." You know what bands I'm talking about.

Every damn "emo" band I've heard (Something Corporate, New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC) has a lead singer with the whiny, stuffed-up nose voice. Do they put a clothes pin on their nose before they go record their albums? Do they think that like tired, generic guitar riffs and whiny lyrics about their girlfriend and parents, it's just a required part of the emo sound?

I can't wait for the next music fad to come along because this one really sucks. I'd rather have boy bands again.

Mason said:
Every damn "emo" band I've heard (Something Corporate, New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC)

Sigh... Not that I think any of those bands qualify of the fucking annoying term "emo," but the answer must be that we're a bunch of whiny ass kids from the suburbs. That one gets thrown around a lot.

Mason said:
I can't wait for the next music fad to come along because this one really sucks. I'd rather have boy bands again.

No shit. Hopefully these morons crud up whatever genre you're into next.

I wish everyone would just let the term emo die a silent death.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Cerebral Palsy said:
I think he put "emo" in quotations for a reason (sorry, Mason, if I'm offending you by answering for you -- I'm just bored); he is implying that although those of us who are aware of what emo actually is know those bands don't really fit the genre standards set by "true" emo bands (i.e., Sunny Day Real Estate), they are in line with the mainstream culture's new definition of the word.

Triumph

Banned
Because they are pampered, spoiled white suburban kids who have never had any true hardship in their lives. And so they sing about "feelings" and other lame shit. Emo kids are gonna be some of the first up against the wall when the Revolution comes, right next to Neo-Cons and Barbra Streisand.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Raoul Duke said:
Because they are pampered, spoiled white suburban kids who have never had any true hardship in their lives. And so they sing about "feelings" and other lame shit. Emo kids are gonna be some of the first up against the wall when the Revolution comes, right next to Neo-Cons and Barbra Streisand.
Don't forget pop-punks, too!

Then again, Good Charlotte does make a valid point: high school is hard. Also, girls only like cars and money.

Desperado

Emo kids are gonna be some of the first up against the wall when the Revolution comes, right next to Neo-Cons and Barbra Streisand.

The Nintendo Revolution? ;)

But to be somewhat on topic, I heard a Yellowcard version of For the Longest Time [classic song...]...UGH FUCKING HORRIBLE

karasu

It's because they have bad technqiue. Vocals aren't really suppossed to be all nasaly technically speaking. Of course this isn't the first time technique was sacrificed for style.

Alcibiades

Desperado said:
The Nintendo Revolution? ;)

But to be somewhat on topic, I heard a Yellowcard version of For the Longest Time [classic song...]...UGH FUCKING HORRIBLE

yeah, Nintendo comes to mind whenever I see the "Revolution" word by itself...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Because they're a bunch of talentless whiney bitches?

Yeah, that must be it.

Mason

human5892 said:
I think he put "emo" in quotations for a reason (sorry, Mason, if I'm offending you by answering for you -- I'm just bored); he is implying that although those of us who are aware of what emo actually is know those bands don't really fit the genre standards set by "true" emo bands (i.e., Sunny Day Real Estate), they are in line with the mainstream culture's new definition of the word.

Yes, this is right.

Dujour

Banned
Because they all want to be Billy Corgan.

/me plugs nose.
DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RADDINACAGE.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
New Found Glory isn't emo. They're shit-punk. I hate that band with a passion. And some of the bands listed don't sing with nasal vocals...but they still suck. :rock =D

AlphaSnake

Yeah, and that's the biggest problem. Taking Back Sunday are pretty much Thursday...same band, different days of the week. :\

Yellowcard and All American Rejects = Same Band but one has violin.

Incubus = Hoobstank with haircut

Fuel/Nickleback/Staind ughhhh!

Diablos

MrAngryFace said:
Yellowcard and All American Rejects = Same Band but one has violin.

Incubus = Hoobstank with haircut

Fuel/Nickleback/Staind ughhhh!

No no no my man. Hoobastank if anything is the rip of Incubus (not trying to say Incubus is super-original and talented but you know).

Diablos said:
No no no my man. Hoobastank if anything is the rip of Incubus (not trying to say Incubus is super-original and talented but you know).

not to mention Incubus have longer hair than hoobastank. MAF IS ALL FUCKED UP!

Diablos

MrAngryFace said:
MUSICAL CONTROVERSY!

PEOPLE NEED TO DEVOTE MORE OF THEIR FREE TIME TO LEARNING ABOUT SHITTY BANDS. I THINK IT WOULD MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHICH BAND HAS THE LONGEST HAIR YOUR LIFE IS INSIGNIFICANT.

ballhog

There are tons of terrible band out there, but you have to dig pretty deep to find anything that sucks as much as New Found Glory. I don't even get it. If ever there was a tour bus that should be struck by lightning and infested by zombies. Not just regular zombies either, some new kind of genital stomping, skin peeling kind of zombies. HAVE THEY NO SHAME????

Nickelback, Hoobastank, Incubus, Korn, Trapt, Blink 182, and countless other worthless wastes of skin should suffer eternal damnation as well.

Diablos

linkinpark.jpg

AlphaSnake

karasu said:
What's up with the Incubus hate

Who knows? There's a lot of people who do like them. Also, Hoobastank's first CD tried to be a bit of a rip off of Incubus. But Incubus themselves aren't entirely original. A lot of Brandon Boyd's sound and rhythm came from Mike Patton (Faith No More) and so did some inspiration for SCIENCE and Fungus Amongues/Enjoy Incubus. They eventually evolved and managed to fall into their own by continuously changing their sound. Pardon Me was pretty much the "Patton" peak...I remember a lot of my friends thinking that it actually WAS Mike Patton when the song first came out in 98. Ah, well. I'm probably the biggest Incubus fan on this forum, and I've definitely caught the most shit for it too.

AlphaSnake

MrAngryFace said:
Fuck I have two incubus cds and the two hoobstank cds. I just find them both hysterical.

You need to listen to SCIENCE, Fungus Amongus (their debut, it's trippy shit!), and 'A Crow Left...'. Fungus Amongus is just so fucked up and out there, but it's got some pretty cool tunes.

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
Dirk Lance made Incubus worth listening their first few CDs. After that, they turned into the garbage they are now.

Ben Kenney >>>>>> Dirk. And the bass is so much more emphasized on the new CD, too.

I still think Incubus's best song was Familiar off the Spawn Soundtrack, but that's me.

Music goes in cycles. Eventually this "emo" fad will be replaced by something equally annoying. I wouldn't have to listen to it if it wasn't for random girls I know who only listen to this stuff, but what can you do. I try and introduce them to stuff like Husker Du, but rarely am successful.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mason said:
Let's not get into another fight over the meaning of "emo." You know what bands I'm talking about.

Every damn "emo" band I've heard (Something Corporate, New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC) has a lead singer with the whiny, stuffed-up nose voice. Do they put a clothes pin on their nose before they go record their albums? Do they think that like tired, generic guitar riffs and whiny lyrics about their girlfriend and parents, it's just a required part of the emo sound?

It's a fad?

roofles @ the band you chose as emo examples.

Triumph

Banned
Still, all the bands mentioned in here are no where near as bad as the penultimate Emo Poster Boy Band.

That's right.

I'm talking about Dashboard Confessional. Sweet merciful Christ, do they suck an industrial size wang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom