• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no reviews of Third Age?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Its coming out this week... its just kinda creepy the lack of reviews. I was hoping for a good LOTR console style RPG.. but the lack of reviews days before the release can't be good

B E N K E

It sucks. Honestly if you like the books and the movies you will be seriously pissed off at what they've done. Blatant and poorly executed Final Fantasy X rip off with a story that expands on the movie without any logic whatsoever. I didn't see three other heroes fighting the Balrog alongside Gandalf in the movie. Did you?

Slo

Um, maybe the game is or isn't assy, but not following the plotline of the movie in an RPG is a pretty petty reason. You've got to expect party based action and somewhat repetitive encounters in any Final Fantasy clone.

If this game sells well (and considering it's LotR, a Final Fantasy-esque RPG, and from EA, I'd say there's a very good chance it will sell BIG), then EA could be on to something huge here, they could be effectively tapping into the "Japanese RPG" market, Square-Enix must not be happy.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just saw the commercial

"The most exciting RPG since Final Fantasy!" -EGM

And my prediction

Gamespot: 8.5
IGN: 8.7

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Third Age sucks (exactly what BENKE said). If you want your LOTR fix, and done in the right way, go get Battle for Middle Earth instead. Done by the Westwood Studios people, BFME is a sweet RTS game in the LOTR universe.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The sad thing here is that they have available thousands of years of Middle Earth history that could be used for a dozen of really epic RPGs of this type, without having to change kanon facts in any of the books.
Story of Beren and Luthien for instance would lend itself FAR better to this type of FF-like RPG.

But of course, because it's more marketable to shoehorn something into the plot of the trilogy itself as well as butchering it accordingly, they are making this instead.

Argyle

Fafalada said:
The sad thing here is that they have available thousands of years of Middle Earth history that could be used for a dozen of really epic RPGs of this type, without having to change kanon facts in any of the books.
Story of Beren and Luthien for instance would lend itself FAR better to this type of FF-like RPG.

But of course, because it's more marketable to shoehorn something into the plot of the trilogy itself as well as butchering it accordingly, they are making this instead.

From what I understand, they only have the movie license, so they don't have access to any of that history that wasn't in the movie :(

I don't care about the plot -- is the game any good AS AN RPG *GAME*?

I like art and graphics I've seen, but if it's dumber than FF, I'll pass.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Argyle said:
From what I understand, they only have the movie license, so they don't have access to any of that history that wasn't in the movie :(
Ok that explains the milking. Still, this is EA we're talking about, I'm sure they could get licenses to more book material if they wanted :)

DrinkyCrow said:
I don't care about the plot -- is the game any good AS AN RPG *GAME*?
I like art and graphics I've seen, but if it's dumber than FF, I'll pass.
Well according to some people, plot is an incredibly important element of FF rpgs (I wouldn't know, I don't really play those games).

rastex

Banned
Fafalada said:
Ok that explains the milking. Still, this is EA we're talking about, I'm sure they could get licenses to more book material if they wanted :)

Liscenses are such a ridiculous and complicated matter. Maybe EA could've paid a butt-load of money to get the liscenses, but would it have been worth it? Obviously not right?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fafalada said:

Well according to some people, plot is an incredibly important element of FF rpgs (I wouldn't know, I don't really play those games).

EA doesn't care about the books, they want to go with something popular. Right now, the movie is easier to sell to people than the books. They could only work around elements from the movie. If something wasn't in the movie they couldn't use it...even if it was in the books. Kinda sucks, but whatever. If they cared about the books, they would have made a game based of the series a long time ago. The books don't matter anymore, let go. :p

Deku Tree

I loved the books and thought the movies were ok. But I hate the way they made the LOTR characters look like the movie actors. And I wish someone would make a ton of games expanding on the lesser known parts of the LOTR universe.

But I'm staying away from this game. I don't need a FFX clone and I don't care to see the LOTR story further butchered. Does LOTR use long CG cutscenes too?

From what I've seen, it uses poorly motion captured real-time scenes instead, with a bunch of movie FMVs thrown in and reedited. Just like the action titles.

I used one of those $15 off coupons from the EA store to pre-order the Xbox version a few months ago. Looks decent, but I'm not expecting KoTOR quality. The theme and setting will keep me interested more so than its Japanese counterparts.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
rastex said:
but would it have been worth it? Obviously not right?
Not for one game - but EA isn't known for doing things half assed when it comes to establishing series/franchizes.
And there's material/parts/characters that crosses large parts of the history, Including some of the principal characters like Sauron himself. You could still market it with familiar LOTR/movie themes at first.

Heck this game's title isn't exactly something your average movie viewer would recognize, but it is well known by those that read at least the trilogy.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm excited about this game, previews and clips have looked great, FFX clone? I'll take it.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I reviewed it in the EGM which should be hitting subscribers any day now, so I'm sure it's in the holiday issues of all the game mags.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Mrbob said:
Bad? Mediocre?
That's a hot secret!

|
|
v
Maybe the scale's based on German school grades, like that one nutso Danish magazine that had a scale with both 0 and 00 in it.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Fafalada said:

I would kill for a Silmarillion RPG :eek:

Link316

Banned
Wario64 said:
Just saw the commercial

"The most exciting RPG since Final Fantasy!" -EGM

And my prediction

Gamespot: 8.5
IGN: 8.7

saw it a few times too, weird, its looks like Nintendo paid for the commercial because it only advertises the GC and GBA version

Traumahound said:
What an irrational score.

Why irrational? They have a scoring system that has 7 different scores ranging from "na ja" to "one in a million". The middle option (3/7) is "überdurchschnittlich" (better then average).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hah, damn. I guess I"m way too optimistic here. Personally I think the game will suck, but I thought some people would eat up the LOTR franchise combined with EA's name attached to the game

rastex

Banned
It's pretty weird... this is the first time a game has been released where I personally know the people that worked on it. I feel like there's a big conflict of interest to comment on it.

but man, the team worked RIDICULOUSLY hard on the game, so hopefully it sells well, even if some may not agree with the idea behind it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The art in the game totally underwhelmed me... if they didn't have a LOTR license on it, it'd look like generic American RPG #14328 for me.

This game is shipping with about 2500+ bugs still in it. EA wanted to get it out for holidays. I'd recommend not buying it, unless you really do need some kind of LOTR fix.

Robert-GCA said:
This game is shipping with about 2500+ bugs still in it. EA wanted to get it out for holidays. I'd recommend not buying it, unless you really do need some kind of LOTR fix.

In that case just buy ROTK EE.

Vivendi owns the book license, and isn't letting it go - the rights to make half an LotR game are better than none, now that the series is at its height of popularity.

Rhindle

Robert-GCA said:
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. EA's release schedule is very light for the Christmas quarter compared to the competition. They probably really need to get this game out in order to make their numbers.

Rhindle said:
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. EA's release schedule is very light for the Christmas quarter compared to the competition. They probably really need to get this game out in order to make their numbers.
That and also the fact that the LOTR buzz won't be here next year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Grizzlyjin said:
EA doesn't care about the books, they want to go with something popular. Right now, the movie is easier to sell to people than the books. They could only work around elements from the movie. If something wasn't in the movie they couldn't use it...even if it was in the books. Kinda sucks, but whatever.
Well, not only does EA not care about the books, but they don't have the rights to them. EA only has rights to make games based on the films. Vivendi Universal has the rights to the novels, and made LOTR:FOTR for the GBA and The Hobbit for various platforms. EA's somewhat limited in how far they can move past the films.

Which is why Third Age uses footage, enemy designs, dialogue, music and textures from the movies, making it all look like some big hack of FFX with media assets that someone ripped off their DVDs...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It'd be a shame if its as bad as some of the reviews are indicating. Latest OPM has a short video interview with one of the special effects designers for the game. Rather impressive what they managed to pull off and he seemed justifiably happy with what they accomplished. 'Course, that's just the special effects, but assuming the same care went into the rest of the game, I can't see how it could be that bad...

Top Bottom