• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Skype and a TV Tuner Could Be Killer Apps

Skyzard

Banned
My brand new 65 inch TV has Skype available from factory and a built in camera.

Yeah..I'd say share on PS4 probably does way more to appeal to gamers, although the PS4 in general is not really doing much for parents I don't think. Bit of a problem. PS3 is their media player. Unless it's busted :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The only thing preventing a full fledged service is Verizon. There is nothing magical that is missing from the 360.

Do you realize all TV companies are creating their own "Apps" for their respective channels

Verizon already gives me access to like 50+ "Go" channels with my subscription

Watch on iPad, iPod, Laptop, Desktop, hell iTV's (Internet Ready)

Give me a full breakdown how MS can offer Verizon a better deal than what Verizon have on their own now

meta4

You heard it here first folks. The next box is going to win this generation because you can call Grandma on your TV and say Good Night.

I only got thru 2 pages, so this has probably already been said:

The vita version of skype is so bad, it's not even relevant to the discussion. I don't understand why everybody keeps bringing it up. Skype as a set-top app is a completely different animal...

Understandable that it's not on your TV, but Smart TVs come with these apps now, or you can download them. There's no need to buy a $299 to $399 console with a $60 pay wall to have these features anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6oj5AKI6cg

I think Microsoft is just a little too little, too late on this, but we'll see.

If you've ever used a smart tv you'll know the features, ui, and all else generally suck. My Samsung smart tv ui , on an expensive 2012 model, looks like something from a knock Korean android tablet from 2010. The software on these sets truly sucks, and it's never updated/improved.

Skype on the Xbox is a big deal. Few people will buy an expensive console for Skype alone, but the feature will help pad sales

-edit-

Pachter is getting mistreated in this thread, per usual. This was probably the best op of the day with the most original and well thought out content, and it's dismissed as wrong because somebody who has has high profile controversial opinions before has said it. It's a shame

awa64

Banned
Do you realize all TV companies are creating their own "Apps" for their respective channels

Give me a full breakdown how MS can offer Verizon a better deal than what Verizon have on their own now

"Hey, we can get people to buy a cable box from you--at the cost you pay us for it plus standard retail markup--instead of expecting to be given it for free, get them to sign up for a multi-year contract in the process, AND we'll take care of box-related tech support inquiries for you."

JohnsonUT

I do realize this and posted something to the same effect pages back. I am not sure what in the post you quoted actually indicates I do not understand it. My argument is that in Patcher's prediction where Microsoft somehow actually gets this killer cable deal, there is nothing (no special hardware) preventing the same channel/app/access from appearing on PS4, PS3, Wii U, 360, Ipad, etc. So, there is no way for it to be a "killer app" unless MS puts up unfathomable amounts of money.

Skype is a nice feature. But it is all white noise, it is not impressive to offer it anymore. In fact it is expected. When consumers hear a device has Netflix the reaction is not "Wow that is really cool", it is "well it better". DVR on the other hand, most everyone that has cable already has a cable box with DVR capabilities. Xbox offering sounds like there would be a lot heftier rental charges than the standard DVR box. Be interesting to see how many would be willing to pay those extra fees monthly on a long term contract.

seanoff

skype has gone downhill like faster than a downhill skier since MS took over. shit that was free like dektop sharing now requires payment. google chat, HELLO. Plus it is so ubiquitous now that i'm surprised if a device doesn't have it.

TV stuff. LOL

I can get all sorts of rebroadcast stuff on my PS3 in Oz atm, along with the ability to turn my PS3 into a dual tuner DVR. I cannot imagine that the PS4 will be much different really.

i can also use my Mac, Ipad, daughters Toshiba Laptop, her ipad mini, etc to access most of the same services

i can't see people buying a console because of skype and DVR functionality which i can replicate on any number of other devices.

Wait a second.

How is Microsoft going to implement Skype's technology which constantly minimizes your games on the Xbox?

I guess this means the next xbox will have a desktop mode.

^^^^^^There's been talks that the next Xbox is a trojan horse for the Windows 8 platform.

Plus, cable companies are stingy as hell. I don't know how they will convince those companies (and there are a lot of them across the US alone) to let them use the Xbox as a DVR that eventually the consumer will own. Those cable companies would have concerns about hacks and mods and etc. I mean try walking into a store and buy a DVD recorder with a tuner built or better yet a DVR with a tuner built into it. They are not there for a reason and it is not because they wouldn't sell very well.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Grandmas already have an iPad and Facetime. And if they haven't yet, they are more likely to get a tablet than a x360 to video chat. This is quite astonishing to see it as a killer feature in 2013 for a console. I mean, wow.

I don't see Skype as being a killer app, video conferencing has been around for a long time, it's no longer a new thing. Also people have already pointed they don't want video cameras in their homes. There's a reason you check and call ahead when going to a fiends house to see if it's convenient. Just busting in with a videocall isn't comfortable.
I hate it when one of my customers makes a videocall to me at work as I have to look presentable and attentive rather than slouched in my chair reading GAF in a 2nd window for example.

Cable TV as hardware? Never. It would have to be a 2nd SKU at best because it will raise the cost too much for a feature they wont use for people that already don't watch TV in the traditional way and are happy with on demand and streaming services.

So in an era where cord-cutting is gaining steam ... having cablecard functionality is a killer app?

ok

Yea, I cut the cord 2 years ago and never looked back. You adjust a lot faster than you would think, mostly because you realize most of things you were watching were on Over the Air TV anyways or are on things like Hulu and Netflix.

I do realize this and posted something to the same effect pages back. I am not sure what in the post you quoted actually indicates I do not understand it. My argument is that in Patcher's prediction where Microsoft somehow actually gets this killer cable deal, there is nothing (no special hardware) preventing the same channel/app/access from appearing on PS4, PS3, Wii U, 360, Ipad, etc. So, there is no way for it to be a "killer app" unless MS puts up unfathomable amounts of money.

If it has a tuner card, isn't that special/unique hardware? The ability to grab content without the carrier providing a (usually half baked) app would be a differentiator.

This may not even be true, but generally service providers have really shitty apps.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
While these would be cool features, it's unrelated to gaming however, People did buy ps2's for the DVD player. In Japan DVD movie sales skyrocketed, and the dvd movie feature was even demoed at E3 the year before.

But I can't see people buying 720 for Skype and a tv turner. Most people use Skype with their pc. It's up close, it's personal and it works that way. Do you really want to Skype with someone while many feet away on your coutch?

The tv thing makes more sense as we already switch from playing call of duty, to launching Netflix. So I can see that possibly.

From a gamers perspective, the ps4 has far better features with streaming, and the share button, assuming your predictions are true.

I'm still not sure people would actually bought consoles for that, but it would be a nice bonus for those who did.

Now, If ms managed to get 720 to be *the* default box for cable companies, than i could see it being a big deal.

As an addendum to my last post, I actually think video calling on the TV is less valuable than on a personal device like a tablet or phone.

Generally speaking my family uses facetime in a way that lets them bring someone into a room with them, so to speak, and let them chat while they're doing other things - very typically I'll facetime my parents while they're watching TV, for example, so we can chat along as if we were all really in the livingroom together. It's a different dynamic than requiring exclusive attention - it's more natural in a way. Conversation ebbs and flows. There's no pressure to keep up a conversation because you're tying up a TV. Or to end a call to free up the big screen.

Now, you can argue that Skype on a console could be put in a little window while people watch something else, but it means audio is sharing the same output channels as the TV, and obscures part of the TV for everyone in the room.

And a neat thing about tablet/phone facetime is being able to 'pick someone up' and bring them into another room when you go make a cup of tea or need some privacy.

All these different dynamics afforded in a personal device context are way more valuable than the value of a wider-angle camera IMO.
That sounds like could be solved with smart glass. You use the kinect to record the entire room, crop the image, so only the people participating on the conversation is shown, and the console just streams the audio and video to a connected device that you can take anywhere... You'd still be limited to where you can go with the device, but on the other hand the camera is already seeing you perfectly, you don't need to point the device camera at you...

I didn't know Patcher was a "America only counts" Gaffer.

MS has 0 chance winning worldwide next gen. Unless they can somehow double their NA fan base to make up for Japan/Euro. Since they don't have the early start this time around i find it highly doubtful.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Gemüsepizza;49823268 said:

So did we read the description?

Here let me help you with that:

Focused on both productivity and consumer scenarios set 5 -- 10 years out, the Envisioning Center is a place where we can engage partners and engineering teams in dialog to evolve our vision.

So any inkling of this will be 2018-2020

Which by then the next version of Durango 2.0 + Kinect 3.0 will be in play

So how is this feasible today

Get Grandma DAT Durango and wait 5-10 years and then you may get to act like that in youtube video!

It would be cheaper to get Grandma Kindle Fire/Nexus and just chat family through that
Much easier too

Skyzard

Banned
Gemüsepizza;49829256 said:
I did not say that it's a good idea. Just something that Microsoft sees as "the future".

As if the xbox 3 will end up getting used for skype by parents of 16 year olds wanting the new xbox. Seems like skype is just a good buy anyway for MS and they're lumping/pushing it with the x360. Should at least help attract the kinect players.

Ahasverus

Nothing that is being given as a "winning" factor to the next xbox is something that can't be done in the PS4. Better even becasue.. yeah, you know, more RAM.

madmackem

I dont see how this cable box thing would work in the uk, why because you get a nice big free box when you sign up to sky or virgin, yes a nice big free dvr. So paying for a 720 to do the same thing you get for free isnt going to be a killer app in the uk the opposite infact.

A family and a grandma buying xboxes because of skype doesn't make sense. You can already video chat on xbox without skype and that hasn't been a selling point.

Zukuu

Banned
TV is not a huge drawing point to many outside of the US. Many countries have basically everything for free.

A lot of these things, Skype, Voice control are they really a big deal?

I love Skype VoIP, but I hardly ever use the video chat function, simply because it requires and extra level of effort in terms of making the room not look like a dump and so on. My mum visible hates it, and we have only used Skype twice for Christmas's when I couldn't come home.

As others have said, it feels borderline intrusive.

As for voice commands, I can not imagine a situation where I want to yell at my TV.

The TV stuff is probably cool, but I don't see where it offers a significant advantage over Netflix? Isn't traditional cable TV pretty much dying, even in the US? I don't really follow that stuff since I don't watch TV.

The thing about these media devices is that tacking a TV tuner onto a console is like tacking a cell phone onto a camera. It's ass backwards and the resultant product is far too expensive to be mass market.

Wake me up when somebody makes something that's essentially an Apple TV, Blu Ray Player, IPTV tuner and Wii U specs wise in a package that's about a quarter the size of the current Wii U. Preferably with a Gaikai type subscription based video game service as well. Sold for around $150, with a modest profit. And marketed as a media device first and foremost.

The first company that pulls it off successfully wins.

Nice write up, good to see you willing to bring ideas where and see what discussion happens. I don't think either ideas will be killer apps though, having then behind a paywall would nullify them as well.

Adding a TV tuner isn't really that big of a deal. However, the WAY the TV signal is delivered is a big deal. If Microsoft were to sign with one or more cable providers, the signal would not come over cable or satellite; instead, it would come over the Internet. Internet service providers are an impediment to this working (will discuss below), but if data cap issues are set aside for the moment, a cable company would be able to offer IPTV beyond their FCC-regulated region. That means that consumers could get any cable TV service in any jurisdiction (yes, this is U.S.-centric, but bear with me for a minute). Right now, Comcast has around half of U.S. households who subscribe to cable or satellite; if they had no territorial limitations, they could go for all households. That is meaningful to them, and to the guys who they plan to take market share from, so it is only a matter of time before everyone will sign up with Microsoft for this, assuming I'm right. I've been saying this for close to two years, and I think the technology has evolved to the point where this can happen with the next console.

I dunno it seems like a big deal to me: if you're talking terrestrial digital TV, you have different standards in different countries and IIRC there's some factor that makes using the one tuner across different formats impractical - either that or Sony were just being idiots/had other reasons for not releasing PlayTV outside of PAL / DVB-T territories.

If you're talking TV-over-IP, what's the tuner for?

All that aside, PlayTV was fantastic for a while but that was before all our local stations had catch-up services. Now I just use the local equivalent of Netflix + catchup + youtube, haven't watched FTA in 2~3 years, haven't had cable in 12. I think being able to offer a smooth gateway to existing services is more desirable to the consumer than being tied in to eg. a MS/Comcast deal.. though I doubt MS think the same way.

Krilekk

Banned

With 20 million Live subscribers they get 1 billion a year. That's a lot of money to a) give to companies to get exclusive content to get even more subscribers and b) they have an incredible amount of users willing to pay that fee. That's pure gold for other subscription based companies, they get 20 million users who they know will play for services. On other platforms they get 80 million who they know nothing about.

I too see Skype as a huge feature but I doubt they want it to become bound to a single platform. They want it on every single device out there. I can see an Xbox TV SKU which is basically a Skype box with 360 gaming capabilities (digital only).

DEADEVIL

beyond huh?
even pachter says the console market is going to shrink (overall), and he's the one saying these are the killer apps of durango.

Not sure what you were getting at there. I'm just saying if Cable companies actually sold a SKU of the NextXbox as a Cable box, then it would sell numbers beyond what we have seen in any generation for hardware.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I honestly don't know anyone who wants to converse with their family over long distances while sitting on the couch, but maybe I just don't know the right people. I'm not sure that many people consider the living room as the place they want to communicate with people who aren't in the living room with them.

Not to mention the fact that both iPad and iPhone have skype, allowing you to access skype and chat with family anywhere in your house. If the argument is that "well, grandma won't have an ipad or an iphone", then I seriously doubt that grandma is going to buy something called an "xbox" to do that either.

I totally understand the appeal of a centralized set top box for multiple functions, but talking to people on skype in your living room is about as appealing as surfing the web on your TV.

Top Bottom