• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me F Zero and Pikmin day one, and let third parties screw up the rest of the launch lineup like they did w/ 3DS. At least we'll all be happy and Nintendo can say they tried...

Instro

Amir0x said:
Now I'm flexing my "mod power." Discussion of this site is over, time to move on topic.

Super-Punch-Out!!_00013--article_image.jpg

:)

Amir0x

Banned
HYDE said:
No, masking tape is much more affordable this gen, hell even scotch is possible.

hehe i admit i giggled

that's two times I laughed at something on the internet today. my sense of humour is evolving

HYDE

Banned
Amir0x said:
hehe i admit i giggled

that's two times I laughed at something on the internet today. my sense of humour is evolving

NeoFAQ #1 flexing muscles = happiness and/or smiles confirmed:)

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
Or there's a gas leak.

i think maybe because masking tape humour is topical to me considering one of my duties as a Supervisor of Material Expediting at the Depot is to oversee masking employees who use masking tape to prepare military equipment for paint

i dunno. gas leak yeah

Disorientator said:

Why is Samus's arm canon transparent?

Amir0x said:
i think maybe because masking tape humour is topical to me considering one of my duties as a Supervisor of Material Expediting at the Depot is to oversee masking employees who use masking tape to prepare military equipment for paint

i dunno. gas leak yeah

You prepare military equipment, but you can't quash a robot rebellion?
Tsk tsk.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
Why is Samus's arm canon transparent?

You prepare military equipment, but you can't quash a robot rebellion?
Tsk tsk.

I oversee preparation for military equipment. Pays more (a lot more) and I don't have to get my hands dirty ;)

Well except occasionally when we have a retard who doesn't know what the fuck he's doing so i have to demonstrate for him/her

[Nintex]

Metroid Prime 4, Zelda, Eternal Darkness 2, Wave Race, Donkey Kong Country Returns 2

Retro Studios

It only develops EVERYTHING

Those 60+ guys must be really stressed out by now.

Also that list on the previous page?
"This is a list of third party publishers, given them the exposure they deserve.. Oh Wait we don't care, we just plaster Mario and Yoshi all over that shit lol lol lol"

Retro

Sadist said:

quBka.jpg

Sorry Amirox, I had to do it. HAD TO. The facial expression... the look of disgust... it was just... too perfect...

Amir0x said:

Please be evolving into a Pokémod that doesn't have the Ban attack...

Edit: Better joke

[Nintex] said:
Metroid Prime 4, Zelda, Eternal Darkness 2, Wave Race, Donkey Kong Country Returns 2

Retro Studios

It only develops EVERYTHING

Those 60+ guys must be really stressed out by now.

Well, they have been hiring pretty heavily lately.

TekkenMaster said:
Do we have any idea of when studios first got Cafe dev kits? It would tell us a lot about what might be ready to show at E3.

IIRC, Edge stated that Ubisoft, Activision, and Electronic Arts, had Devkits "for months". I don't think any reliable source has stated a specific time. All I recall hearing that was given a specific time was Foxconn shipping the first units in October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November (from IGN). Going by that and assuming a 12 month development time if that was the release date Nintendo was shooting for makes me think last October or November is when Nintendo would've handed out Alpha Devkits.

There have been discussions about the controller's second screen and how it either benefits or harms the final product.

But here is a question: if one of the system's biggest draws is streaming the game to the controller screen without using the TV, how could it possibly offer both the main screen and the secondary screen on the same 6" screen?

My hypotheses:

1) The controller screen is the same as the display on the TV. The HUD might be larger on the controller screen so users can interact with any icons, or the game can be influenced by the touch interface. That means the game could be played without a TV (in its non-HD form), or with a TV in full HD. That means no dual-screen gaming, but also makes the controller screen seem pointless at times.

2) Games will have different UI depending on whether or not the TV screen is in display. This would allow two-screen interactions as well as one-screen activities when the TV is elsewhere. This leads to more developer problems, though, having to create TWO game designs around the concept.

3) The touch screen can act as a live HOME Menu predominantly, allowing anyone to turn on a controller, interact with the HOME Menu on the controller, and open software while someone else is in game. When the TV is not active, the HOME Menu is replaced by a single button on the now-occupied touch screen to open the menu. This is probably a stupid idea, but you can never tell.

Personally, if the biggest innovation for the device is the ability to play multiple games at once or with the TV off, then I would say that having a dual-screen concept might actually be discouraged by Nintendo for developers. I'm not saying there won't be any such game concept, but I think games which do have that sort of gameplay design will require a "one-screen" design as well for when the TV is off.

legacyzero

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Stealth mode. Metroid on cafe going first person stealth action game, confirmed.

Retro studios has made FPS Metroid as the only way I can enjoy it now. Although a remake of Super Metroid on 3DS would make me squeal.

Krowley

legacyzero said:
Retro studios has made FPS Metroid as the only way I can enjoy it now. Although a remake of Super Metroid on 3DS would make me squeal.

IMO FPS should be the default mode for all mainline console Metroids in the future. The series just works so well from that perspective there is no reason to do it any other way.

Hopefully we will get an HD game for this console with the same kind of basic design as MP1 (as opposed to the third game, which was too linear.)

ksamedi said:
I think I agree with Vinci here. Having a HUD on the controller will not add much
For that matter, if they're on the controller I think we're going to need to rename them from Heads Up Displays to Heads Down Displays.

Amir0x

Banned
Technosteve said:
so in like three sentences or less, convince me that the Wii HD will be more then just a nintendo "games" only console.

uh

something something who knows because it's not really revealed yet something something

(although, of course, a slate of Nintendo games is always worth the price of admission to the console - if Nintendo is on a good roll rather than a bad one, ala Wii)

Retro

Technosteve said:
so in like three sentences or less, convince me that the Wii HD will be more then just a nintendo "games" only console.

after you, in like three sentences or less, convince me why anyone needs more from a Nintendo console than "just" games.

Amir0x

Banned
Retro said:
after you, like in three sentences or less, convince me why anyone needs more from a gaming console than "just" Nintendo games.

i can give you a motherfuckin' essay if you like

fucking ridiculous

PLAY GAMES, NOT COMPANIES

AniHawk

Technosteve said:

okay, but i'm notorious for run-on sentences that don't ever go anywhere- like every poorly-written, poorly-thought out review i've ever typed, or paper i've ever written, or rant i've ever said, where i often fill them with an unnecessary amount of commas (not to mention parentheses and sometimes sentences within parentheses [or even parentheses within parentheses in which case i've been told you are supposed to use brackets]), and dashes, which i've never personally gotten the hang of -- since i don't know if two dashes notes a break in thought for detail, or if one dash following the end of the word is also acceptable, or if it is better served by just having commas separating those thoughts -- and that's nothing to say about semi-colons, which i'm sure i use improperly as well, and not at all when i should.

basically, it'll be a mess.

Retro

Amir0x said:

Wow, I am seriously heading for a ban on this page... see the stealth edit made after I realized my post came off slightly fanboyish.

JazzmanZ said:
I'm pretty damn sure Retro is finished with the Metroid series as far as I know.

Yeah, looks that way...

JazzmanZ said:
I'm pretty damn sure Retro is finished with the Metroid series as far as I know.

It's impossible to say.
Nintendo has never said that they would discontinue the Prime series.
Though, I do think we'll see other IPs being given new life from Retro.

Amir0x

Banned
Retro said:
Wow, I am seriously heading for a ban today... see the stealth edit made after I realized my post came off slightly fanboyish.

dude you won't get banned for being a fanboy (if you are), unless you're just trolling. You're not trolling a Nintendo thread by being a fanboy :p Or unless you're just going into other topics to naysay everything from every other company but them... which is just trolling basically anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom