• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

woahjeez

Banned
Utako said:
Shut up man

This made me lol. This has to be a troll. Really, Really bad idea btw. Metroid is about minimalism in the story department and strong gameplay, something Kojima can't seem to figure out

Utako

Banned
Zeliard said:
Metroid at its best is all about minimalism, especially from a storytelling standpoint. Not sure how you think Kojima would be ideal for that franchise.
Because he's a genius with graphics, fine details, AI, and game mechanics. He at least makes his comic book plots engaging, which is more than I can say of Retro and Prime.

Zomba13

Zeal said:
kojima....

....metroid?

SHUT THE FUCK UP.
buLCf.jpg

Wasn't Kojima involved in that game?

rpmurphy

Teetris said:
What's with all the bullshit backseat modding here? All this filler in between good info/discussion is why people don't like big threads

Reason for who tho? Can't be consumers, would only be great for them

Nintendo, I can't see it as a bad business strategy. Early adopters are the people that know those games, they'll buy em for sure. I don't see a problem with the timing either, the Wii hasn't seen plenty from Nintendo's top tier. Maybe you could elaborate on why it's a bad idea to launch those games right away?
They only really need one big game, and the rest can be spaced out to be released later. The userbase on Day 1 isn't as big and people have to shell out most of their money for the hardware.

Edit: I guess beaten.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Utako said:
Because he's a genius with graphics, fine details, AI, and game mechanics. He at least makes his comic book plots engaging, which is more than I can say of Retro and Prime.

Metroid is all about gameplay, Kojima not so much. Horrible idea! Now if you say you want Yoji Shinkawa to be the art director and Kojima the Cinematic Director or Producer then we can talk :D

Utako

Banned
Yes, Kojima would make Metroid exactly like MGS. This makes perfect sense. Put someone in any situation and they will senselessly behave in the same fashion. Is that how you live?

-Eddman-

lol, WTF at the moderation derail. Now that we are talking about our Metroid wishes, would it be crazy to ask for a Treasure developed Metroid? They make awesome 2D and 3D games.

woahjeez said:
This made me lol. This has to be a troll. Really, Really bad idea btw. Metroid is about minimalism in the story department and strong gameplay, something Kojima can't seem to figure out
Ummm, so now his games don't have strong gameplay? They don't have good environment detailing and things to find? No visual story telling at all? What in the hell kind of thread is this lol

Seriously, Kojima Productions completely shits on a ton of developers, and Team Ninja is no where in the same ballpark as them. Again, I would rather nintendo did it, but if it had to be handed over, Kojima wouldn't be bad, considering his track record.

Zeal

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Wasn't Kojima involved in that game?
to be honest, no, but he likes to pretend he was. he told MercurySteam (the real badasses) to make Gabriel look more like a "hero". that's about the sum of his 'contribution'. they basically had a completed game already, and it was simply called Lords of Shadow.

Utako

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Metroid is all about gameplay, Kojima not so much. Horrible idea! Now if you say you want Yoji Shinkawa to be the art director and Kojima the Cinematic Director or Producer then we can talk :D
You haven't played MGS, I take it, or are you trying to make a fool of yourself and say that those are bad games?

Retro

abstract alien said:
I honestly don't need anything but nintendo games from a nintendo system. The rest are just bonuses for me lol

Then again, I don't buy many games and I've owned all three home console systems, so I guess that isn't saying much.

Edit: Read that wrong. "Just" games? Yeah, I'm fine with that. Don't really care about anything else unless it ties into gameplay honestly.

Yeah, I edited my original post because it just wasn't clear. As far as I'm concerned, a videogame console doesn't need anything other than games to succeed. What I had originally posted sounded like a game console is a failure unless it has Nintendo games. Not that having them doesn't help, of course.

Metroid Gear Solid

Hark! NeoGaf, what unspeakable vileness has thou wrought?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
abstract alien said:
Financially, it might not be so good since they would seriously be competing with each other during a time when people are already spending money on the console itself. Maybe two of them, but I certainly wouldn't put Mario and Zelda out simultaneously. As a consumer, its a wet dream...but its not so hot as far as business.

I'm no multi-billion dollar business leader either, so my point is mute really.
Nah that's a good point. depending on the console's price people may not buy more than 2 games.

If a Zelda and Mario came out they'd most likely be the top sellers, I believe TP was also the most popular game on Wii launch but I'm not sure

rpmurphy said:
They only really need one big game, and the rest can be spaced out to be released later. The userbase on Day 1 isn't as big and people have to shell out most of their money for the hardware.

Edit: I guess beaten.
Spacing them out by a month would fix that issue while still keeping the fans occupied enough. But sales would still be significant because of the small selection of games, I don't think they'd go much under the sales of when a Wii game would be released now, not to mention the incredible legs Nintendo's titles have gotten

woahjeez

Banned
abstract alien said:
Ummm, so now his games don't have strong gameplay? They don't have good environment detailing and things to find? No visual story telling at all? What in the hell kind of thread is this lol

Seriously, Kojima Productions completely shits on a ton of developers, and Team Ninja is no where in the same ballpark as them. Again, I would rather nintendo did it, but if it had to be handed over, Kojima wouldn't be bad, considering his track record.

I am more confident in Team Ninja's ability to make a game that I will actually be playing for more than 15 minutes out of an hour. Neither of them are my cup of tea.

abstract alien said:

His track record is especially the reason people are against the idea in that his style and vision for gaming is at odds with the values of traditional Metroid.

Zeliard

abstract alien said:

Seriously, Kojima Productions completely shits on a ton of developers, and Team Ninja is no where in the same ballpark as them.

You're comparing two entirely different entities. It's hard to think of two companies that strive to do more different things than Kojima Productions and Team Ninja. :p

One puts huge emphasis on storytelling, convolated as it is, and the other is basically no storytelling and all about the combat gameplay (at least until the Itagaki-less Ninja Dog-led team fucks things up).

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Utako said:
You haven't played MGS, I take it, or are you trying to make a fool of yourself and say that those are bad games?

Ive played

MG
MGS
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4

MGS3, MG, MGS were great! But not in the same way Metroid is. Maybe Kojima can pull it off, but the core gameplay were not that great in any of those games. The controls were horrible! Gameplay came second to the story/cinematics. The exact opposite of Metroid's almost minimalistic approach.

Cranzor

As someone who didn't like Metroid Prime, (if anyone wants me to go into detail, I will. I realize my opinion isn't very popular.) I'm just looking for anything to change up the series.

Cranzor said:
As someone who didn't like Metroid Prime, (if anyone wants me to go into detail, I will. I realize my opinion isn't very popular.) I'm just looking for anything to change up the series.
Hope you enjoyed Other M then.

Utako

Banned
Did Retro make DKCR exactly like Metroid Prime?

Why are people assuming Kojima would paste the Samus model into MGS5? Think a little, first...

Kojima better stay away from everything Nintendo related!

Cranzor said:
*fail avatar quote*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just don't see why Kojima would want to make a metroid game. It's not the kind of game he likes to make. This is completely separate from saying his games have poor gameplay (they don't) or don't have elements visual storytelling (of course they do).

Team Ninja has only made 1 good game, so, I mean, not like he'd need to do a good job to match what they did.

AniHawk

Utako said:

Why are people assuming Kojima would paste the Samus model into MGS5? Think a little, first...
retro is a group of people, and a somewhat different group than the one that made the first metroid prime.

kojima is one man.
and what a man!

Zeliard

Utako said:

I think it's because you haven't put forth a convincing argument. Kojima works in a particular way and is concerned with particular things, and it's not something that would necessarily work for every game out there.

The question you should be asking is what would Metroid have to gain with Kojima at the helm?

Teetris said:
Nah that's a good point. depending on the console's price people may not buy more than 2 games.

If a Zelda and Mario came out they'd most likely be the top sellers, I believe TP was also the most popular game on Wii launch but I'm not sure
They would also rip the bullshit third party launch titles to pieces. Then we would have to hear Ubisoft and Activision complaining again :^/

Zeliard said:
You're comparing two entirely different entities. It's hard to think of two companies that strive to do more different things than Kojima Productions and Team Ninja. :p

One puts huge emphasis on storytelling, convolated as it is, and the other is basically no storytelling and all about the combat gameplay (at least until the Itagaki-less Ninja Dog-led team fucks things up).
It seems as if the gameplay in metal gear is always portrayed as non-existent just because there is a ton of story telling. The gameplay, functionally/mechanically speaking, is much more polished than anything TN has ever created. Again, not saying someone can't enjoy Ninja Gaiden or DoA more tha MGS, but one clearly has more polish and detailing than the other...and in areas that would actually benefit Metroid.

Y2Kev said:
I just don't see why Kojima would want to make a metroid game. It's not the kind of game he likes to make. This is completely separate from saying his games have poor gameplay (they don't) or don't have elements visual storytelling (of course they do).

Team Ninja has only made 1 good game, so, I mean, not like he'd need to do a good job to match what they did.
Pretty much.

AniHawk

Y2Kev said:

i'd love kojima to do his own thing again. seems like every time he tries to do something different, they pull him back in.

but it's his baby and i guess if he has a good idea (like mgs3... still haven't played mgs4), then he should be allowed to do it.

he kinda fits in there with aonuma as a guy who i'd like to see something new from, because they're probably out fatigued with the series they've worked on for over a decade.

Krowley said:
Hopefully we will get an HD game for this console with the same kind of basic design as MP1 (as opposed to the third game, which was too linear.)

Agreed. But make it even closer to Super Metroid in the look and feel.

Cranzor

Sammy Samusu said:
*fail avatar quote*

I knew it was coming :p That's more to represent the series, not the game Metroid Prime.

I guess I shouldn't have said I didn't like it. I mean, it's a good game. It just felt to really drag on. Once I got about halfway through I just wanted it to end. I enjoyed the first half though.

I haven't played Other M yet so I don't know if I'd like it.

Zeliard

abstract alien said:
It seems as if the gameplay in metal gear is always portrayed as non-existent just because there is a ton of story telling.

I wasn't at all trying to denigrate the gameplay in MGS games, but simply saying that those games are very concerned with story. Team Ninja games put no focus on story, or if they do like they apparently did in Other M, it doesn't turn out great. Their forte is the combat gameplay. They're just a very different studio, philosophically.

abstract alien said:
The gameplay, functionally/mechanically speaking, is much more polished than anything TN has ever created. Again, not saying someone can't enjoy Ninja Gaiden or DoA more tha MGS, but one clearly has more polish and detailing than the other...and in areas that would actually benefit Metroid.

I have to disagree with this. NG2 was a bit messy but Ninja Gaiden Black is a sparkling jewel in terms of polish, and with such great fluidity. I can't name very many games I've found as mechanically flawless.

Utako

Banned
Zeliard said:
I think it's because you haven't put forth a convincing argument. Kojima works in a particular way and is concerned with particular things, and it's not something that would necessarily work for every game out there.

The question you should be asking is what would Metroid have to gain with Kojima at the helm?
Iconoclastic gameplay
Surprises
Dark tone
General artistic integrity

The things that make Kojima a great director, apart from the context of MGS, would fit Metroid rather well.

Zeliard

Utako said:
Iconoclastic gameplay
Surprises
Dark tone

The things that make Kojima a great director, apart from the context of MGS, would fit Metroid rather well.

Kojima would definitely throw some curve balls in there so I'll give you the first two, but as far as the last two, I've always thought Metroid games were aesthetically cohesive and attractive, and I thought Super Metroid was effortlessly ominous.

Utako said:
Iconoclastic gameplay
Surprises
Dark tone

Metroid has a very solitary tone, I'm not sure if MGS is really "darker" than it. Metroid already had (until Other M) artistic integrity.

Amir0x

Banned
Utako said:
MGS is the favorite game series of many a fine human, Snatcher is a true classic, and ZOE2 has also earned some renown.

What the fuck is your point?

Even if you thought all his games were the greatest ever, not a one of them fits any aspect of what makes Metroid great. Of course, my "point" is just that your idea is god awful and worthy of scorn and also the deletion of you from the internet. I won't do it, but it deserves it. As I said, I am merciful. ;)

Utako said:
Would Ami really ban someone for disagreeing with him? I think he's a pretty good mod.

Never. Besides, these are gaming opinions - even though I shit on ones I disagree with it, even the worst gaming opinions are not elevated beyond the importance of, say, me taking a good shit.

Souldriver said:
Or it's just his opinion. I disagree with him as well, but Christ sake Amir0x he didn't kill your cat.

It is the opinion that killed my cat, not the person. I can only express the horror at seeing it in written form in the only way that is appropriate. Being that it's the worst idea ever written by a living man, I think my response was rather muted.

AniHawk said:
i'd love kojima to do his own thing again. seems like every time he tries to do something different, they pull him back in.

but it's his baby and i guess if he has a good idea (like mgs3... still haven't played mgs4), then he should be allowed to do it.
Not that I'd advise you don't do this, but...

If you're a fan of 3, go in with tempered expectations of what you're going to get.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
It is the opinion that killed my cat, not the person. I can only express the horror at seeing it in written form in the only way that is appropriate. Being that it's the worst idea ever written by a living man, I think my response was rather muted.

hideo kojima handling a metroid game is not the worst idea ever. not when david cage is around.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
hideo kojima handling a metroid game is not the worst idea ever. not when david cage is around.

I think David Cage making the game would be better for the mere fact it wouldn't be a game and thus we could ignore it as little more than a visual novel, like that terrible Metal Gear visual novel for PSP

AniHawk

TekkenMaster said:
I hope Nintendo retcons Other M out of existence.
it was actually a dream bob newhart had

Amir0x said:
I think David Cage making the game would be better for the mere fact it wouldn't be a game and thus we could ignore it as little more than a visual novel, like that terrible Metal Gear visual novel for PSP
can't argue with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom