• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utako

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
My Wii 2 game idea:

Kirby and the Paper Tiger
------------------------

Pitch : Kirby + Drawn to Life + Origami

Look :

wVuZZ.jpg

Stop-motion paper animation world with Origami Kirby.

Gameplay :

Use the Controller Screen to "fold" coloured paper into simple shapes, and then flick them upwards to the television, where Kirby can use the things you just made. Objects include Boat, Ladder, Shield, Trumpet, Rope, Scuba Gear, Car, Plane and Starship.

Each level ends with a fight against one of the Paper Tiger's minions. Every level has secrets available to players who have accessed each of the 64 Origami patterns.

Multiplayer: The Folding Fields :

In a very cut-down LPB manner, draw levels and areas to send to your Nintendo Network friends and challenge them to finish in a time, awarding them Play Coins for success.
This is a brilliant concept. Only criticism is the WiiPad usage, which is a bit weak.

AceBandage said:
NNNOOOO hinted at size limits being much larger. And the games being read off SD card, rather than internal memory, means that the limits could be pretty large. Though, I doubt they'd need 250MB... that's bigger than most DS games...
There are XBLA and PSN games that exceed 250MB, I'd rather 3DS be able to accommodate any game a developer might want to bring.

Most would probably be okay with half that though, yeah. I guess 128MB for the maximum Nintendo gives would work okay. Cafe will definitely need more allowed though, especially if it's Virtual Console grows to include stuff like Saturn, Dreamcast and GameCube.

Emitan

lunchwithyuzo said:
There are XBLA and PSN games that exceed 250MB, I'd rather 3DS be able to accommodate any game a developer might want to bring.

Most would probably be okay with half that though, yeah. I guess 128MB for the maximum Nintendo gives would work okay. Cafe will definitely need more allowed though, especially if it's Virtual Console grows to include stuff like Saturn, Dreamcast and GameCube.
No way. 256 MB at least. The system comes with 2GB on board and a 2GB SD card. That's 4GB on every system. Why give that much space if each game can only use a fraction of it?

AceBandage said:
NNNOOOO hinted at size limits being much larger. And the games being read off SD card, rather than internal memory, means that the limits could be pretty large. Though, I doubt they'd need 250MB... that's bigger than most DS games...
XBLA games go up to 2GB because that is where Microsoft's hard limit is and more than a few critical and sales successes have hit that.

1/10th of that is not a good place to say "I doubt we'd need that much ever!"

Bankoiia

Billychu said:
No way. 256 MB at least. The system comes with 2GB on board and a 2GB SD card. That's 4GB on every system. Why give that much space if each game can only use a fraction of it?
They figured 3D photography would be really popular.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
Epic has Infinity Blade, and EA has Dead Space and (to a lesser degree) Mirror's Edge. I can't think of anything I'd consider "serious support" from Ubisoft and Take Two; the former has its usual parade of Gameloft-developed console spinoffs, and the latter has two DS ports. Am I forgetting anything?

I also don't think that developing low-priced, low-budgeted software for iDevices necessarily indicates any interest in developing for a dedicated gaming handheld, save as a platform to port said iDevice software to.
EA is probably the biggest. Here are some of their highlights:

Need For Speed: Shift: Metacritic 94
Scrabble: Metacritic 94
Mirror's Edge: Metacritic 89
Dead Space HD: Metacritic 87
NBA Jam: Metacritic 87
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgX9hoDq_ww (Video review, since there aren't enough reviews catalogued yet, but it's still a nice showcase.)

EA also owns Chillingo, which publishes games like:

Angry Birds
Cut The Rope: Metacritic 93 (Also the fastest selling iPhone app.)

As for Ubisoft, they only recently started taking the platform more seriously.

For example, Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard was actually a pretty serious effort in terms of production values, even if the gameplay wasn't the most brilliant ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Zr3n1fqzo&hd=1

In Take-Two's case you're definitely right though. In retrospect, Take-Two has only done handheld ports.

The one reason I think we could see some interest transferring from publishers this time however is because these games have a lot more effort behind them than the cellphone games of yore, and now we (should) actually have a good digital distribution market on handhelds.

Boney said:
coolio about the dead space, would love to get my mitts around it.

Oh yeah the eshop is gonna come soon. Those fuckers better not think of making me pay for an alarm clock
Whoops, I linked the wrong version of it too. The iPad version is rated 4 points higher: http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/dead-space

boyshine

I've been thinking about what Nintendo can do in terms of just basic features to stand out compared to PS360.. and if you consider that most games will be multi platform and that graphics probably isn't going to be as important this time (until PS4 and XB3 launches), one thing in particular seems like a possible option; higher online player count.

According to DICE the main reasons for lower player count on the console versions of Battlefield 3 are technical limitations of CPU, memory and bandwidth. And if Nintendo has that edge in terms of processing power that the rumors suggest, then this seems like a very possible choice to make the Nintendo version the ultimate console edition of multi platform online games (for a year or two).

I'm not even that fond of online gaming, but to me this seems like the best and most effective way to attract both PC- and PS360-gamers to Nintendo's console, if that is what they want to achieve.

Guys, GUYS! Remember what Itagaki said about Devil's Third coming to Wii 2?

"More than that, although I can't say this easily because I don't have any information, it's possible that Nintendo could release a higher end console. Something like that."

Maybe THQ is also in the know? Now which games do I want them to bring to Cafe?

*thinks hard*

21e0lxs.jpg

wwm0nkey said:
So who here also thinks BF3 will come out on the new Nintendo system?
A generic multiplatform shooter from EA, why not? But I don't particularly care, my middle finger to all FPS out there!

Dascu said:
It's a remake, not a port. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly show it in Famitsu again and release it a month or two later.
Nintendo said new Wii games are coming out every month in Japan from May to December. Guess we have time, but I'm not sure you can remake a PS2 game on Wii, teehee. Eh, not coming to the west anyway. :(

Nirolak said:
The one reason I think we could see some interest transferring from publishers this time however is because these games have a lot more effort behind them than the cellphone games of yore, and now we (should) actually have a good digital distribution market on handhelds.

See the edits to my post above:

I also don't think that developing low-priced, low-budgeted software for iDevices necessarily indicates any interest in developing for a dedicated gaming handheld, save as a platform to port said iDevice software to. After all, how many of those iOS games are being developed by the same staff that does console games? I'm under the impression that by and large, they're from the same divisions at said publishers that have always handled mobile development, which historically hasn't translated into support for dedicated handhelds.

At this point, I primarily judge third-party handheld support by the quality of retail software, or at least software specifically developed for dedicated gaming handhelds. Assuming your scenario materializes on one or both next-gen handhelds, shitty retail software plus quality multiplatform DD-only software developed with iOS as the lead platform would certainly be an improvement over the current status quo, but I don't see how it would equate to a sea change in these publishers' approaches to handheld platforms, as long as there remains such a stark division between handhelds and consoles in terms of both the resources alotted and the staff involved.

Pimpbaa

Billychu said:

That space won't seem like much when virtual console and 3DSware (or whatever they are gonna call it) come to the 3DS.

M74

Sammy Samusu said:

"More than that, although I can't say this easily because I don't have any information, it's possible that Nintendo could release a higher end console. Something like that."

Well, at least at the time of the interview, Itagaki was only speculating that Nintendo would be making moves soon. Would THQ have told him if they knew?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
See the edits to my post above:

At this point, I primarily judge third-party handheld support by the quality of retail software, or at least software specifically developed for dedicated gaming handhelds. Assuming your scenario materializes on one or both next-gen handhelds, shitty retail software plus quality multiplatform DD-only software developed with iOS as the lead platform would certainly be an improvement over the current status quo, but I don't see how it would equate to a sea change in these publishers' approaches to handheld platforms, as long as there remains such a stark division between handhelds and consoles in terms of both the resources alotted and the staff involved.
Oh I absolutely agree.

I really don't expect any quality support on the retail side.

My only speculation is that we could see improved support on the digital distribution side, and even then, I agree it's unlikely to be from a large amount of Western publishers, and definitely doesn't have a surefire chance of materializing from the publishers it would most likely come from. Like EA's 3DS support has been terrible so far and they've made no hints at supporting the eShop.

Overall I was probably one of the first people beating the drum of "Western support on the 3DS will be completely god awful.", so as a whole I'm in agreement with you, it's just that if I'm wrong on that note, this is the avenue I can most easily see it coming from.

Instro

M74 said:
Well, at least at the time of the interview, Itagaki was only speculating that Nintendo would be making moves soon. Would THQ have told him if they knew?

Itagaki is a pretty high profile developer, Im pretty sure he has enough contacts throughout the industry to at the very least know if Nintendo has sent out dev kits for a new console.

Sammy Samusu said:

*thinks hard*

21e0lxs.jpg
This reminds me, why have Team Ninja been so coy about Ninja Gaiden 3's platform? They've gotten really close to Nintendo recently too (Other M, DOA Dimensions), maybe it's a Cafe launch game? Cafe (timed) exclusive?

Zomba13

Penguin said:
There's just something magical about a console launch.

I remember when the GameCube was first announced, there was this museum heist game that was announced, and got all this attention.

And then it was never heard of again... reminds me of Nibris and Sadness.
You know what I'd love? A modern day Thief style game. Like, you are an art thief or something and go to museums all over the world stealing rare art and other things. Like it'd have a lot of stealth and social stealth (like AC, blending into crowds and Hitman with different clothes). And when you start a mission you choose the tools to take with you, maybe you have to scout out a location before hand.

... I really want a game like this now.

lunchwithyuzo said:
This reminds me, why have Team Ninja been so quiet about Ninja Gaiden 3's platform? They've gotten really close to Nintendo recently too, maybe it's a Cafe launch game? Cafe (timed) exclusive?
I don't even like Team Ninja or Ninja Gaiden, but that would be a pretty sweet deal for Nintendo. Even if it werent on the table, they have the funds to make such deals happen, but I guess they see it fit to spend it on their massive R&D overhead instead.

Boney

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
This reminds me, why have Team Ninja been so coy about Ninja Gaiden 3's platform? They've gotten really close to Nintendo recently too (Other M, DOA Dimensions), maybe it's a Cafe launch game? Cafe (timed) exclusive?
Ninja Gaiden: Other N

I think the only game we can really count on at launch is SSF4:AE, given the comments about 3DS connectivity. It's the closest thing we have to a confirmed cafe title.

civilstrife said:
I think the only game we can really count on at launch is SSF4:AE, given the comments about 3DS connectivity. It's the closest thing we have to a confirmed cafe title.
I think they'll launch with an upgraded MVC3 instead. Timelines seem to match up better, AE would be ancient by then.

traind

wwm0nkey said:
So who here also thinks BF3 will come out on the new Nintendo system?

If I was launching a new system that was significantly more powerful than what is out there now, I would pursue a version of the best looking game available so everyone could see the graphics of the new system. As far as we know now, BF3 is that game. What we don't know is how much horsepower the new Nintendo box will have.

BF3 would be up to a year old but if it looked similar to the PC version-- it would still send a strong message...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
civilstrife said:

His comments weren't specifically about the 3DS.

madballneek

Neo Member
I don't care for Nintendo products anymore. However, I truly hope this forces Microsoft's and Sony's hand at releasing a next-gen console a few years earlier than planned.

And then maybe games on PC will have improved graphics.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Madball Neek said:
I don't care for Nintendo products anymore. However, I truly hope this forces Microsoft's and Sony's hand at releasing a next-gen console a few years earlier than planned.

Then why are you in a thread about a Nintendo product?

Plinko

Penguin said:
So shall we start talking bets on how soon near launch a Ridge Racer title shows up?

Knowing Namco they'll just port RR3D exactly as is.

WillyFive

Madball Neek said:

Why don't you care anymore? You should check out the Wii and DS, they got a lot of cool stuff in there. Perfect time to start.

MYE

Plinko said:
Then why are you in a thread about a Nintendo product?

So you know, man

edit: But really, saying "i dont care about Nintendo products anymore" sounds rather silly to me as they are a pretty diverse company.
But hey, whatever floats his boat.

MYE said:
So you know, man

edit: But really, saying "i dont care about Nintendo products anymore" sounds rather silly to me as they are a pretty diverse company.
But hey, whatever floats his boat.

"I don't care about Nintendo, but I want them to release it so PS4 adn 720 will come out"

*read this in the same tone as "Imma let you finish..*

All I need to see for Cafe' is Timesplitters 4 in all of it's CryEngine 3 glory and all will be right in the world. Well...that and Star Fox (Kamiya X Retro Studios).

Emitan

Pimpbaa said:
That space won't seem like much when virtual console and 3DSware (or whatever they are gonna call it) come to the 3DS.
Even with Nintendo's boated emulators how much space can a Gameboy Color game take up? They're tiny. I'm guessing on something between 256MB and 512MB for the limit of 3DSWare games.

I'd actually say Ninja Gaiden Cafe is pretty likely if it's launching in the right timeline. Even if it's not, Tecmo has shown no issue in porting Ninja Gaiden games to another system years afterward.

I also really wouldn't be surprised with a DOA launch title.

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I'd actually say Ninja Gaiden Cafe is pretty likely if it's launching in the right timeline. Even if it's not, Tecmo has shown no issue in porting Ninja Gaiden games to another system years afterward.

I also really wouldn't be surprised with a DOA launch title.
Oh gee I wonder what the second screen it's gonna be used for.

Poyunch

Man that's so creepy. Guys in dark rooms doing that. That old guy was in a robe with wine like it was some special moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom