• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

abstract alien said:
Yeah, it was a decent enough game I supposed. I couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes since it was a bit too repetitious for me , but the motion controls worked surprisingly well. Never understood where the criticisms in that regard came from since it worked completely fine for me, even during multi directional combos.

Unless the criticisms were complete bullshit and only there because someone didn't like the game.

I think people complained about the "thrust" motion. The diagonals, horizontals and verticals worked easily though.

I actually liked Soul Calibur Legends' core system, but the problem was everything else. Even basic stuff like a movelist wasn't in the game. The models had low details and not even moving mouths, there was a really low number of repetitive stages that had to be reused all the time, low number of playable characters, there was also a lack of modes and options in general, and not even co-op for the actual story mode.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Sure, they're probably bulking up and forming a second team. Again, like EAD Tokyo did after Galaxy 1.

I think DKCR2 is probably going to be next release from Retro, it'll probably be done by a smaller team since much of the work is already done, and I'm kind of leaning towards it being Wii's swan song (say holiday 2012).

Man, the thought of getting regular Retro games is orgasmic.
I'd love to see one team that does games like Metroid and DK and the other do new stuff.

Hiltz

Nintendo's new research and development building should be complete in 2013. Hopefully, we'll see more games being developed and more localized as well.

Hiltz said:
I wonder what Nintendo is going to do with its new research and development building that should be finished in 2013. It could sure use another localization team.

Likely to expand development studios and relationships with other companies.

Instro

So I wonder why there was never any rumors from Nikkei about this console. They usually float some stuff out. Unless I missed them?

Dascu

Sammy Samusu said:
Hum... and what happened to Fatal Frame 2R? That port sure is taking its time.
It's a remake, not a port. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly show it in Famitsu again and release it a month or two later.

Instro said:
So I wonder why there was never any rumors from Nikkei about this console. They usually float some stuff out. Unless I missed them?

The leaks are coming from western studios (likely Ubisoft). They have few ties with Nikkei.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dascu said:
It's a remake, not a port. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly show it in Famitsu again and release it a month or two later.
Maybe it's being stealthily shipped to unaware retailers RIGHT NOW.

MAtgS

PantherLotus said:
I think what Amir0x hasn't quite realized is that Nintendo hasn't created an original series based around original characters set in an original world for what, almost a decade now? They've stopped making new characters.
You forgot Miis & Nintendogs.

Hiro

Banned
Billychu said:
Nintendogs aren't characters. They're digital pets.

*cuddles my nintencat* My digital pet does too have personality! You terrible wraith.

(disclaimer: I'm just kidding, Billychu.)

Emitan

Hiro said:
*cuddles my nintencat* My digital pet does too have personality! You terrible wraith.

(disclaimer: I'm just kidding, Billychu.)
I want a real kitty. Nintendogs is like a waifu dating sim for people who don't have pets instead of girlfriends.

boyshine

lunchwithyuzo said:
Sure, they're probably bulking up and forming a second team. Again, like EAD Tokyo did after Galaxy 1.

I think DKCR2 is probably going to be next release from Retro, it'll probably be done by a smaller team since much of the work is already done, and I'm kind of leaning towards it being Wii's swan song (say holiday 2012).
DKCR felt like a filler game to me though, something a smaller team could've handled and released while they were working on a different and bigger project for a later release. So I'm not sure DKCR2 is in the cards.. unless both games were developed simultanously as one.

Yoschi

Nirolak said:
cafe_high4mja.jpg

There's a Boohoo in ya coffee

boyshine said:
DKCR felt like a filler game to me though, something a smaller team could've handled and released while they were working on a different and bigger project for a later release. So I'm not sure DKCR2 is in the cards.. unless both games were developed simultanously as one.

Most studios work on multiple games at once (though the resources aren't shared equally). So, yes, they probably have something else already well into production.

Billychu said:
I want a real kitty. Nintendogs is like a waifu dating sim for people who don't have pets instead of girlfriends.

shut the fuck up. I love Nene and there is nothing you can say or do to take away that love!

Billychu said:

Yep, and Zelda is for the lazy, uncreative bastards who don't want to adventure on their own.

AceBandage said:
I still think they just need to do a Space Federation spin off and try and make it into their own Halo type game.
Just to get the Metroid franchise more exposure.
Hmmm, wouldn't mind seeing what Bungie could do with the IP. If anything, it would create some massive hype and give Cafe a killer online app. Nintendo seem to be good at getting publishers to agree to collaborations when there is massive ammounts of money to be printed.

Emitan

abstract alien said:
Yep, and Zelda is for the lazy, uncreative bastards who don't want to adventure on their own.
Exactly! I went on adventures with my sword and shield until the cops took them away.

Lesiroth

Retro said:
More Bad ideas:

Pokemon MMO
Bungie + Blizzard staff + Touchscreen = Myth IV

Star Road:
A Premium Online service. All standard Cafe games are free to play online, but some third parties may want to have have additional subscriptions (like PSO2, in theory). However, rather than paying these companies directly, there is a single, unified currency managed by Nintendo, called "Star Coins". You have two options; buy Star Coins via credit card or Coin Cards at retail outlets, or you subscribe to 'Star Road'.

Subscribers to Star Road are essentially on a Star Coins-per-week plan; your subscription gives you x amount of coins at the start of each week as long as you're paying for the service. You can then decide how you want to spend those coins; buying Virtual Console games, "CafeWare", micro-transaction content, DLC or to pay for subscription based games. This could also theoretically include a Netflix subscription paid with Nintendo's virtual currency.

For example, if you subscribe to Star Road for $5 a month, you get 10 coins a week (equivalent to buying a 40 Coins in the store at $5 a card) as long as you're a subscriber. If the exchange rates are the same, why bother with a subscription service?

A Star Road subscription also has a Game Rental service built in; you can download any Virtual Console or Cafeware game, one per week. If you keep the same game for multiple weeks, you enter a 'Rent to Own' program where, if you keep the game for a number of weeks equivalent to the price of the game, it's yours as if you bought it.

Another benefit is the Star Cafe, an exclusive multiplayer gaming section with a variety of subscriber only games, from board games to arcade classics. Some of these games could be like contests, which could theoretically give away prizes like a free rental plan for a month, extra Star Coins, avatar rewards, etc.

Non-subscribers could also play Star Cafe games, but they wouldn't be able to enter for prizes and they might have fewer options on how they can play (for example, they couldn't make private game rooms, just join public ones).

In theory, parents could set the subscription up so their kids get a 'monthly allowance' to blow on new games and such, without ever having to go out and buy point cards or have their kids screwing with their credit cards. Kids can decide if they want to rent a game, buy it outright, or get new items for their characters. If they want to play a subscription based game, they can put some of their coin-per-month allowance towards that.

Basically, it's free like PSN, but you can pay for more extra features and get free Star Coins every week and a weekly VC/Cafeware rental while you're a subscriber. Of course, you can always just go out and buy Star Coins anytime you want, or set Star Road up to buy you additional coins each billing cycle.

In theory, some people might say "Why don't I get all of my coins at once?", but that's easily circumvented by just buying coins directly. The subscription is basically there to give lots of extra content and, hey, free coins to blow on stuff. And, again, nice for parents to give their kid an 'allowance'.

In theory, Nintendo also profits directly by having people buy subscriptions from them rather than cards from retailers. Maybe the cost of buying Star Coins isn't the exact same (maybe $5 only gets you 30 coins instead of 40 as you would get with a subscription). Obviously I'm just tossing this idea out there...

Not half-bad, but you DO know this IS Nintendo we're talking about?

Honestly, I think if Nintendo were going to go for an account based system, this PSN thing might have scared them off.

They might still do account based without saving any personal information, but that might not even be possible.

Instro

ShockingAlberto said:
Honestly, I think if Nintendo were going to go for an account based system, this PSN thing might have scared them off.

They might still do account based without saving any personal information, but that might not even be possible.

Well its not like Nintendo has to worry about hackers anyway with all those ninjas they employ.

Neiteio

It would be nice if for a DKCR2 on Stream, if in co-op a player straggling behind could keep playing on their controller screen, so that the two players wouldn't be forced to stick together on the main screen. Heck, if implemented properly this could allow for four-player co-op without matters getting too complicated.

I also wonder if Nintendo will implement a feature in the controller so that it can sense its distance to the console and if you walk, say, X number of feet away the gameplay will continue on the controller screen instead.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
sillymonkey321 said:
At least you didn't get the death sentence for collecting hearts :(
But he broke his back trying to glide between two buildings with a chicken.

Boerseun

Banned
Neiteio said:
It would be nice if for a DKCR2 on Stream, if in co-op a player straggling behind could keep playing on their controller screen, so that the two players wouldn't be forced to stick together on the main screen. Heck, if implemented properly this could allow for four-player co-op without matters getting too complicated.

I would rather everyone be forced to stay on the one screen, as seen in New Super Mario Bros. for example. It's a big part of what makes that sort of thing great to play (in my opinion).

Emitan

ShockingAlberto said:

How much personal information do they really need to collect? It can't be any more than they already collect at Club Nintendo.

Boerseun said:
I would rather everyone be forced to stay on the one screen, as seen in New Super Mario Bros. for example. It's a big part of what makes that sort of thing great to play (in my opinion).
I didn't like that at all. They got rid of Raccoon Tails and Capes and replaced them with the Propeller Suit because vertical movement wouldn't cause someone to get too far ahead. NSMB's entire design is to slow down a player's progress as much as possible.

Penguin

I know this won't go over well, and don't even have a company in mind, but I'd love to see someone give Geist a second chance. I always thought the idea behind the series was solid... the execution left a lot to be desired.

Penguin said:
I know this won't go over well, and don't even have a company in mind, but I'd love to see someone give Geist a second chance. I always thought the idea behind the series was solid... the execution left a lot to be desired.

Well, N-Space is still making games, so it would likely be them.

Penguin said:

get Retro to do it or give N-Space a second chance. they seem to have building up shooter experience and I think they have a good chance now

Penguin

Well didn't want to say n-Space if I didn't much care for the execution of it the first time.

Though, I wouldn't mind giving it to Eurocom... but I hope they are hard at work on a Goldeneye sequel.

Emitan

From The Dust said:
get Retro to do it or give N-Space a second chance. they seem to have building up shooter experience and I think they have a good chance now
I love how whenever someone suggests Nintendo publishing a game the reply is always "get Retro to do it" :p

Billychu said:
I love how whenever someone suggests Nintendo publishing a game the reply is always "get Retro to do it" :p

Geist is a shooter. Geist is also a Nintendo property. Retro has first person experience. it makes more sense than Retro doing Zelda

Billychu said:

Well, they're a highly proven studio. They can probably work wonders with just about anything they are given.

Boney said:
has nintendo worked with n-space since Geist?

Nothing directly, no.

wsippel

Banned
I'm still very impressed by the lack of software leaks, especially considering the fact that EA Sports already established Café teams at some point between early 2008 and November 2009 according to the former EA Montreal Nintendo Group boss. EA was probably among the first to know about the system, but they were probably not the only 3rd party to know about this for at least 16 months.

Penguin

Though I'm curious if we get a Red Steel-esque reveal. With a major 3rd party title being showcased before Nintendo officially demoes the console.

Deku

Banned
wsippel said:
I'm still very impressed by the lack of software leaks, especially considering the fact that EA Sports already established Café teams at some point between early 2008 and November 2009 according to the former EA Montreal Nintendo Group boss. EA was probably among the first to know about the system, but they were probably not the only 3rd party to know about this for at least 16 months.

Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom