• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
ant1532 said:
I can't believe this shit is only supposed to be a graphically capable of PS3. 2012 release and not significantly better? I fucking hope this is not true.
I'm sorry, have you been to the future and saw what the system is capable of?

ant1532 said:
I can't believe this shit is only supposed to be a graphically capable of PS3. 2012 release and not significantly better? I fucking hope this is not true.
We still don't know much about it honestly. Could be possible if it isn't streaming shit in every direction.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
B.K. said:
If sales aren't included in their projection for the fiscal year, then we can assume it'll be out sometime after March 2012.
Given how accurate the rest of the rumors seem to be so far, June 2012 is most likely the tentative release date.

thuway

I will buy this the day Smash Brother HD hits.

On a side note, does anyone think Sony will use this streaming feature with NGP as well?

watershed

Banned
ant1532 said:

You and me both. But its all still speculation right now.

Who thinks Nintendo will really spend a lot of time creating HD assets for Skyward Sword?

I hope they take advantage of the hardware power more than TP did the Wii.

"Sales of this new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012."

I think it means that they didn't tell us why it's not included in the forecast. All we can do is speculate.

However, if the June 2012 rumor from 01net is accurate, that does kind of rule out the ATI CPU+GPU combo timeline. If they were being rushed to have it done by late 2012, could it be that Microsoft (or Sony?) needed Trinity or Fusion or whatever for their upcoming system's devkits and not for the final systems? Just my two cents.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Medalion said:
Yes, it turns out the Project Cafe can also travail though time. It is mainly used to reduce input delay, but it has other practical applications.

watershed

Banned
Articalys said:
So this is just similar to when rumors were building about the 3DS, that Nintendo decided to release an abrupt official statement to head off some speculation?

Actually yeah it seems exactly the same except there were very few 3ds rumors prior to the press release. This time we have a deluge or rumors and even some "confirmations" of said rumors.

EDarkness

Nirolak said:
Given how accurate the rest of the rumors seem to be so far, June 2012 is most the tentative release date.

Dates are all subject to change, and I think it even says so on the French site. With the Wii in the state that it's in, releasing sooner rather than later would be the best way to go, even if the launch lineup is full of ports.

artwalknoon said:
Actually yeah it seems exactly the same except there were very few 3ds rumors prior to the press release. This time we have a deluge or rumors and even some "confirmations" of said rumors.

That makes sense, especially if it's gonna be playable and 3rd parties are so excited that they can't keep their mouth shut. I imagine there is just more excitement over console announcements than portable ones.

B.K.

Nirolak said:
Given how accurate the rest of the rumors seem to be so far, June 2012 is most the tentative release date.

They should pull a Sega and announce beforehand that Cafe will go on sale in the fall and then at next E3, announce it's going on sale that day.

Instro

TUROK said:
The Wii wasn't playable at E3 2005, and it was released a year later.

True although theres a slight difference. Wii wasnt released till late 2006 so it also had E3 06 before its launch. It sounds like this console is releasing sometime before next june so this coming E3 is the only one it will have before launch.

Always-honest said:
haha, there is always one of these posts.

?

ARXIN said:
So will they be abandoning the wiimote? I can't see this supporting both motion controls and their streaming control.
Well, if it's backwards compatible they can't. And even then, I'd guess the new controller will have some motion control function of some sort as well.

watershed

Banned
EDarkness said:
Dates are all subject to change, and I think it even says so on the French site. With the Wii in the state that it's in, releasing sooner rather than later would be the best way to go, even if the launch lineup is full of ports.

Please no, screwing up a system's launch is a sure way to damage its momentum and initial reception. Also Nintendo shouldn't "overstock" or whatever happened with the 3ds, some sell outs will get people talking and help drive consumer interest.

ant1532

Banned
artwalknoon said:
You and me both. But its all still speculation right now.
Like right? How are you going to release a console so ahead in time of the competition yet be in the same position Wii was against. 2 years down the road for Wii2, 360-2 and PS4 will blow it out of the water graphically and all 3rd party support will flock to them if they don't go all out on graphics.

Medalion said:
read?
ant1532 said:

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EDarkness said:
Right, hence the "tentative".

I think they will launch earlier if they can, but I also think they want to avoid a 3DS launch situation.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Isn't there also still a chance that Nikkei could break some additional details about this puppy? They did it with 3DS, why not again?
The chances are fairly high I would say.

I hope it releases in June of 2012 as opposed to Holiday 2012. Holiday 2012 would only give me about 1 month to play with it before the world ends.

likeGdid

In all the excitement, everyone missed the fact that the actual controller was just shown

ohjeez.jpg

artwalknoon said:
Please no, screwing up a system's launch is a sure way to damage its momentum and initial reception. Also Nintendo shouldn't "overstock" or whatever happened with the 3ds, some sell outs will get people talking and help drive consumer interest.
The PS2 did fine with it's shitacular launch!

ant1532 said:

Agreed man. Marginally better than consoles from 5 years beforehand would not be good news IMO.

Zihark said:
Last month at gdc.

Ehhh, forget what I said than. Skyward Sword is most likely the Wii's swan song with this Cafe thingamajig getting it's own Zelda, unfortunately, 3 years down the line.

Instro said:
True although theres a slight difference. Wii wasnt released till late 2006 so it also had E3 06 before its launch. It sounds like this console is releasing sometime before next june so this coming E3 is the only one it will have before launch.

?
it was all speculation to this point. Yet for you everything was written in stone allready.

Nirolak said:
Right, hence the "tentative".

I think they will launch earlier if they can, but I also think they want to avoid a 3DS launch situation.

The chances are fairly high I would say.

They appear to be stuck a little in between wanting to get the console out ASAP (preferable given its apparently modest power and the diminishing Wii sales) and waiting to have enough quality software at launch.

Then again, all they need to do is chuck an upgraded Skyward Sword on the thing and they'll be set.

antonz

Always-honest said:
fuuuu....impossible for Valve to develop for. Controller won't last one day.
Its true. It would end up in the Valve snack room by mistake and never seen again. So much food in there

Dead Man

likeGdid said:
In all the excitement, everyone missed the fact that the actual controller was just shown

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/rybqdt/ohjeez.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol I would buy that at a high price.

Instro

ant1532 said:
Like right? How are you going to release a console so ahead in time of the competition yet be in the same position Wii was against. 2 years down the road for Wii2, 360-2 and PS4 will blow it out of the water graphically and all 3rd party support will flock to them if they don't go all out on graphics.

Most rumors point to the system being more powerful than the 360/PS3, not just being as powerful. Dunno why people are people are immediately picking one to be true over the other.

Always-honest said:
it was all speculation to this point. Yet for you everything was written in stone allready.

Technically it stopped being speculation a few hours ago when those cafe banner images were found. But seriously, its not like I was blown away when I read that it is going to be playable at E3. It seems like the logical step if they were indeed planning to announce something in the next day or 2. Perhaps Im just more optimistic about these sorts of things than other people I guess.

Keyouta

So, this thread moves fast. Jeeze.

Anyway, I think I've said this before, as I'm sure others have, I don't want Skyward Sword moved/ported to Cafe. If it does move, then the Wii would have no Zelda title to itself.

I hope for a tease or reveal of how the console looks on Tuesday.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EvilDick34 said:
Come on Nintendo, give us the Nintendo On... *takes his crazy pills*.
That will be the following gen, and will be their Third pillar, the Super Virtual Boy Color Advance, in 3D.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Keyouta said:
So, this thread moves fast. Jeeze.

Anyway, I think I've said this before, as I'm sure others have, I don't want Skyward Sword moved/ported to Cafe. If it does move, then the Wii would have no Zelda title to itself.

I hope for a tease or reveal of how the console looks on Tuesday.
links-crossbow-training-01.jpg

antispin

Interesting that the nintendo announcement does not mention bc with wii. Are we looking at another third pillar approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom