• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this in June. E3 can't come quick enough now. Do you think the Nintendo showing will steal the whole show?

If the specification rumours and mock-ups were related to a new Microsoft or Sony console, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in expecting it to be the biggest failure and most ridiculous idea for a console I'd ever seen. But it's Nintendo, and we've been there before, so I have a little faith.

bananas

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I agree its not as innovative a feature as the dual screen of the original ds. But you said you thought Nintendo was trying to out-nintendo themselves which suggests even more crazy features, not a relatively safe one. So I got confused with what you were saying there. I hope this new system does have some crazy, innovative feature.

I meant they're trying to create a weird, new thing about their device. Nintendo hardware can't just be the same but more powerful anymore. Nintendo is trying so hard to recapture that spark they had with the original Wii and DS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 3DS and Wii 2 will be very successful. But I feel their success with be the similar to the PS2/SNES success of building off it's predecessor's brand. Not that that's bad or they can't do better (The PS2 did outsell the original PlayStation after all), but we all have seen how long that lasts before someone else comes in and eats your cake.

mj1108

ant1532 said:
Does anybody still think they will talk about Cafe at the investor meeting this week after this announcement? All we heard is that there was going to be a prior announcement about the system before E3 and we got it. So did the countdown to E3 already begin or do yall think the meeting will have some cafe?

I think this will be the most we get out of the meeting -- just the acknowledgement that the successor exists, will be playable at E3, etc...

As for the E3 countdown...it's already started.

ant1532 said:
Does anybody still think they will talk about Cafe at the investor meeting this week after this announcement? All we heard is that there was going to be a prior announcement about the system before E3 and we got it. So did the countdown to E3 already begin or do yall think the meeting will have some cafe?

past investor meetings have had game announcements and even trailers, so I bet we'll get more about 23 hours from now.

Empty

i wasn't getting that excited for e3 this year, but i'm so interested in seeing how this system concept works. i'm glad that nintendo is trying something different as if we have three seperate consoles they might as well, but i'm struggling to wrap my head around what stream offers outside of interactive map screens and inventories to play with on the controller.

Medalion said:
This all got pushed into motion by Ono with his Street Fighter IV connection speculation
yoshinori_ono.jpg

Metallix

Banned
I think it will be mentioned on Tuesday to Investor's, perhaps even some new details, but I firmly believe that they'll be focusing primarily on Wii and 3DS, and more importantly, will likely announce a launch date for the eShop.

ant1532 said:
Don't they usually have a Q&A session during them? The topic is bound to come up.

mj1108

$200 said:
Guys, "playable model of the system at e3" doesn't mean they're going to let you play it.

If it's actually playable in their booth in some form, I expect to see Youtube videos of the lines with wait times hitting several hours.

Gomu Gomu

$200 said:
Guys, "playable model of the system at e3" doesn't mean they're going to let you play it.
Seeing it in action is all that counts. I'm not gonna be there anyways, so it makes no difference to me what so ever lol.

Coen

Is it confirmed this will also hook up to a TV? The lack of bc and pointer functionality could point at the device just streaming to the controller.

onken

Aw I was hoping for this year :/ Also I love how the announcement is just a blank pdf with a couple of plain text paragraphs. If it wasn't hosted on the actual Nintendo site then I wouldn't believe it.

NateDrake

Metallix said:
I think it will be mentioned on Tuesday to Investor's, perhaps even some new details, but I firmly believe that they'll be focusing primarily on Wii and 3DS, and more importantly, will likely announce a launch date for the eShop.
Would gladly accept that.

E3 2011 is now officially going to be great, at least if this thing is 2-3 times more powerful than PS360.

Concerning the new controller I'll keep an open mind to it, just like I did with the Wii, but this time around I won't except too much so I won't be disappointed when it launches.

KevinCow

Banned
bananas said:
I meant they're trying to create a weird, new thing about their device. Nintendo hardware can't just be the same but more powerful anymore. Nintendo is trying so hard to recapture that spark they had with the original Wii and DS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 3DS and Wii 2 will be very successful. But I feel their success with be the similar to the PS2/SNES success of building off it's predecessor's brand. Not that that's bad or they can't do better (The PS2 did outsell the original PlayStation after all), but we all have seen how long that lasts before someone else comes in and eats your cake.

It seems to me that the reason they're doing stuff like 3D and the controller screen is because they're specifically trying to avoid relying on the preceding brands for success.

watershed

Banned
bananas said:

The PS2 is the best selling console of all time isn't it? I don't think the 3ds will be as successful sales wise as the ds and I don't think the N6 can match the Wii (especially if the french rumors are right about it only being slightly more powerful than the 360). But I think both will be successful in their own right and more than the GC.

I hope they confirm Skyward Sword HD tomorrow...they might mention it alongside talk of Wii 2's backwards compatibility: "btw, Skyward Sword will have 2 editions..."

bananas

Banned
KevinCow said:
It seems to me that the reason they're doing stuff like 3D and the controller screen is because they're specifically trying to avoid relying on the preceding brands for success.

Well, for the 3DS at least, it seems like they aren't doing a very good job of it.

onken

Sidewinder said:
E3 2011 is now officially going to be great, at least if this thing is 2-3 times more powerful than PS360.

Concerning the new controller I'll keep an open mind to it, just like I did with the Wii, but this time around I won't except too much so I won't be disappointed when it launches.

Uh I thought all indications were around/slighty above 360 level.

Aspiring

The dreamcast was so ahead of it's time. It's an evolution of the VMU. Seriously though like I said in the other thread fix the DRM, online infrastructure, and give me acheivements as well as proper third party support like the 360/PS3 and I will bite. But if it really is just above 360 in terms of power it's gonna be left in the dust when the the others launch Thier consoles and I can't see people switching for possibly slightly better visuals which would leave Ninty in the same position third party wise as they are now.

Fredrik said:
Haven't Sony kind of been trying to do this stream thing with PSP and remote play?

I'm pretty sure they'll go all out now with NGP's streaming capabilities to try to steal some thunder from Nintendo.

Well, it will be the most expensive accessory.

bananas

Banned
artwalknoon said:
The PS2 is the best selling console of all time isn't it? I don't think the 3ds will be as successful sales wise as the ds and I don't think the N6 can match the Wii (especially if the french rumors are right about it only being slightly more powerful than the 360). But I think both will be successful in their own right and more than the GC.

For now, yes. But that didn't seem to help Sony out with the PS3. And the SNES was the best selling console at the time the N64 got it's ass kicked by the PS1.

TekkenMaster said:
I hope they confirm Skyward Sword HD tomorrow...they might mention it alongside talk of Wii 2's backwards compatibility: "btw, Skyward Sword will have 2 editions..."
Don't do this to yourself!

watershed

Banned
Aspiring said:
The dreamcast was so ahead of it's time. It's an evolution of the VMU. Seriously though like I said in the other thread fix the DRM, online infrastructure, and give me acheivements as well as proper third party support like the 360/PS3 and I will bite. But if it really is just above 360 in terms of power it's gonna be left in the dust when the the others launch Thier consoles and I can't see people switching for possibly slightly better visuals which would leave Ninty in the same position third party wise as they are now.

Eh, I'm not very hopeful about the online or the achievements. Look at the 3ds for an indication on how Nintendo plans to handle that stuff going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom