• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Ability to stream to a wireless 6" controller ey? What's next, the ability to stream to a wireless 3D headset?!

EDarkness

antispin said:
Interesting that the nintendo announcement does not mention bc with wii. Are we looking at another third pillar approach?

The announcement doesn't really mention anything about the system.

watershed

Banned
Demoncarnotaur said:
Well shit.

They just came out and said it. Out of freaking nowhere, rumors aside.

E3 will be great. I wonder how long it will be to see something a little more meaty between now and then.

If they are going fully playable at E3 I think Iwata will talk about it quite a bit at the Investor Meeting. Gotta let the investors know what's up so they don't panic. I think/hope we will see the console, controller, and maybe talk of the big features. Cuz going from zero to fully playable in 90 minutes (E3 presentation to floors open) would be crazy. Wait did the 3ds do that this year?

Ezduo

Banned
Just how powerful are we expecting the next Playstation and Xbox to be? Will the games look that much better than current gen stuff?

watershed

Banned
bananas said:
I'm afraid that Nintendo is trying too hard to out Nintendo themselves. I feel that way about the 3DS as well.

Really? In what way? I think the 3ds feels like a much safer direction than the original ds was.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Ydahs said:
Ability to steam to a wireless 6" controller ey? What's next, the ability to stream to a wireless 3D headset?!

I mean, I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. Third party accessory?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
antispin said:
Interesting that the nintendo announcement does not mention bc with wii. Are we looking at another third pillar approach?

Well it does explicitly call the machine a successor to the Wii. To me that implies compatibility.

Instro

cosmicblizzard said:
Hmmm, I expected more fanfare for the confirmation. Oh well, maybe when everyone wakes up.

We might at least get something out of that investors briefing tomorrow. Or some good Nikkei info.

Cool.

Rez said:
It's hilarious to me that, yet again, Zelda will probably be pushed back to the new console.

Not gonna happen. Wii 2 is in 2012, probably mid-late. Zelda's already been confirmed for 2011 multiple times, and the latest confirmation is during when they posted their Q2 release list and NoE mentioned in their press release that it would be out this year.

Not to mention the game's key feature is Motion Plus+. This is different from TP where they gave the game motion controls to showcase the Wii and this is in contrast to the game's traditional controls. There's going to be a bigger difference between M+ and whatever the Wii 2 offers and the addition of motion controls over traditional ones...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
cosmicblizzard said:
Hmmm, I expected more fanfare for the confirmation. Oh well, maybe when everyone wakes up.

To be fair it's just the Nintendo stamp on three things that were already a given; it exists, it is planned for 2012, and it will be shown at E3 2011. The only 'surprise' is that it will be playable.

We still dont actually have any confirmation on the controller screen, the games, the features, or the power.

Ydahs said:
Ability to stream to a wireless 6" controller ey? What's next, the ability to stream to a wireless 3D headset?!
Nintendo_on--article_image.jpg

Fou-Lu

So, shit just got real and all that?

Alright, I can't hide it, I love Nintendo, hype train baby!

I'm kind of hoping it'll come out in the summer so I'll be out of school.

Foffy

Banned
Well, they announced it...but really seemed to do their best to not say anything beyond it being a successor to Wii. :p

bananas

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Really? In what way? I think the 3ds feels like a much safer direction than the original ds was.

I feel Nintendo went with 3D basically as a way to make itself different. It doesn't really add much to anything, especially because games are required to work in 2D. The original DS helped changed the way games were played and designed. I don't see the 3DS doing anything that the DS couldn't do.

Fess

Haven't Sony kind of been trying to do this stream thing with PSP and remote play?

I'm pretty sure they'll go all out now with NGP's streaming capabilities to try to steal some thunder from Nintendo.

antispin

Ushojax said:
Well it does explicitly call the machine a successor to the Wii. To me that implies compatibility.
Perhaps. I read it as "our next home console". The 3ds announcement explicitly mentioned bc with the ds.

Salsa

bananas said:
I feel Nintendo went with 3D basically as a way to make itself different. It doesn't really add much to anything, especially because games are required to work in 2D. The original DS helped changed the way games were played and designed. I don't see the 3DS doing anything that the DS couldn't do.

You know, i agree with this.

3DS is much more gimmicky.

Fou-Lu

Foffy said:
Well, they announced it...but really seemed to do their best to not say anything beyond it being a successor to Wii. :p

Yeah, would've been nice to at least get as much as we did for 3DS, but whatever still hyped.

Really sad my attempt to get a pass to E3 fell through. I would love to try this new doo-hickey out. Oh well, off to the cryogenic freezing chamber!

Chris R

Would have been fucking epic if this hadn't leaked before E3 but whatever. Can't wait for the press conferences now :) SOOOOOOO close too when you really think about it.

watershed

Banned
bananas said:

I agree its not as innovative a feature as the dual screen of the original ds. But you said you thought Nintendo was trying to out-nintendo themselves which suggests even more crazy features, not a relatively safe one. So I got confused with what you were saying there. I hope this new system does have some crazy, innovative feature.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thinking about it, Nintendo must be pretty confident about the 'unknown feature' of the system or they would have just detailed the things that are already known in the press-release.

It's key feature is obviously nothing that has already been rumoured, or they would have just thrown it out there in the same way as the 3DS press release.

Kenka

Wait, wait, wait. wtf ?

Jeus Bloody Mary, thanks God I am not working. My body is so [insert magical word].

I'd rather Nintendo release a shitload of Wii games than abandon the Wii for a new console right in 2012. It's too early, it feels. Being the first one out is never good.

Nickovic

Nirolak said:
Is there even a stylus?

I was under the impression this was a thumb screen.

I saw a mockup in the old thread where the was a stylus with pointer functionality. I guess we will find out eventually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, I'm going to head to sleep, so PM duckroll if anything major happens in the next eight hours or so and he will update the thread.

bananas said:
You just wait for the Left eye , Right eye ghost game Miyamoto mentioned
Luigi's Mansion 2 in 3D :D

ant1532

Banned
Does anybody still think they will talk about Cafe at the investor meeting this week after this announcement? All we heard is that there was going to be a prior announcement about the system before E3 and we got it. So did the countdown to E3 already begin or do yall think the meeting will have some cafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom