• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, at this point our semi-reliable rumor list is:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Traditional layout controller with a 6" screen.
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Hard Drive/SD Card compatibility
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)
Motion Control (new variation?)

Confirmed Things:

Partnering with an outside company for online.
Spending more time fostering 3rd party relationships.

Common Sense:

Should support all HD resolutions
HDMI support and component/composite

For all the ladies that are still rocking 50 posts a page.

BMF said:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)

Confirmed Things:

Common Sense:

For all the ladies that are still rocking 50 posts a page.

I think it's safe to say that SD cards will be on there. it was three units in a row. it's a shoo-in for the Cafe

I really think that they haven't updated the 3DS firmware because they are waiting until E3...

Maybe they will use the same similar system as the Cafe system...

AceBandage said:
I also don't understand how third parties failed so fantastically with the 3DS's online. Maybe Capcom is just magic.
Also, I think that the eShop will be ready for the Cafe's launch, since it'll just be a larger version of what will be ready on the 3DS. I'm also expecting cross system downloads for some games.
Nintendo had nothing to show, either. Instead of using Nintendogs or Pilotwings as examples of games that could be improved with SpotPass DLC, we got....Teddy Roosevelt's bull terrier Pete in the park one day and then pretty much nothing for Pilotwings. No new missions, vehicles, areas, etc.

They should have also gone through and convinced third parties to follow Capcom's model. Your real game not going to be ready any time soon? Put your multiplayer mode on a cart and gussy it up! How is it possible Ubisoft can launch sixteen games in the 3DS launch window but not one of them is the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer mode like Capcom did with Mercs?

I think it's kind of possible that Nintendo did not get online information to non-Japanese third parties in a quick enough manner.

Fernando Rocker said:
I really think that they haven't updated the 3DS firmware because they are waiting until E3...

That wouldn't be such a bad thing. They said May but if they were to do it after E3, or just after their press conference, it would only be a week later.

ShockingAlberto said:
Nintendo had nothing to show, either. Instead of using Nintendogs or Pilotwings as examples of games that could be improved with SpotPass DLC, we got....Teddy Roosevelt's bull terrier Pete in the park one day and then pretty much nothing for Pilotwings. No new missions, vehicles, areas, etc.

They should have also gone through and convinced third parties to follow Capcom's model. Your real game not going to be ready any time soon? Put your multiplayer mode on a cart and gussy it up! How is it possible Ubisoft can launch sixteen games in the 3DS launch window but not one of them is the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer mode like Capcom did with Mercs?

I think it's kind of possible that Nintendo did not get online information to non-Japanese third parties in a quick enough manner.

That's very possible, especially if they didn't have their new online partnership completely ironed out.

herzogzwei1989 said:
AMD RV770 in action, AMD Cinema 2.0, Scorpion Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2fS9covXBs

So Cafe may be roughly 3/4 that powerful, in graphics?

In a closed box, it would be MORE powerful. The beauty of consoles is that you can use lower specs to achieve better results, since developers only have to worry about a single set of specs and no bloated OS and programs running in the background.

AceBandage said:
That's very possible, especially if they didn't have their new online partnership completely ironed out.

In a closed box, it would be MORE powerful. The beauty of consoles is that you can use lower specs to achieve better results, since developers only have to worry about a single set of specs and no bloated OS and programs running in the background.

I forgot about that, true, your correct of course. I cannot wait until E3 ^_^

Fernando Rocker said:

It's just Valve time already screwing up Nintendo's plans.
Seriously though, I think they said May and are trying to stick to that promise, even if it means the last hour of May. Not having online up would make for an embarassing E3. Not half as much as for Sony though..

Graphics Horse said:
It's just Valve time already screwing up Nintendo's plans.
Seriously though, I think they said May and are trying to stick to that promise, even if it means the last hour of May. Not having online up would make for an embarassing E3. Not half as much as for Sony though..
That would truly be something - if Sony didn't have online by E3.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Fernando Rocker said:
Imagine if Nintendo streams the conference in 3D to our 3DS...

My body is ready.

Yes, oh my god, yes!

Thing is, it could be possible if the web browser is out by E3 (which it should, since it's suppose to come with the May Firmware update.)

Azriell

The talk a few pages back about Nintendo releasing a paintball game? Yeah I can't ever see that happening, unless it was third person. I just can't imagine Nintendo releasing a game starring their triple-A cast of mascots (I'm imagining something like Smash Bros or Mario Kart/Party), only to make it first person so you can't admire the character you're playing as.

With that said, I think it'd be far more interesting if you took a Smash Bros-esque cast, and instead if giving them paintball guns you let them shoot their naturally occurring projectiles. So Mario's fire flower, Link's bow and arrow, Samus' cannon, DK's banana cannon from DK64 etc. OR a paintball game with these items as character specific powerups.

I do wish Nintendo would develop some more 2nd party relationships and increase their output of older-skewing games. Something like a Factor 5. Publishing some games like this would help Nintendo cultivate an environment where 3rd parties might see more success with T or M rated games, which is better for the platform in the long run.

EDarkness

Amir0x said:
I'm sure Steamworks will go on Cafe in cases where a Portal 2 ends up on the system for a Valve developed game; I'm equally sure Steamworks won't be the foundation for Cafe. It'll be some other company Nintendo partners with imo.

I think it would be pretty awesome if Nintendo teamed up with Valve to make Steam their foundation. You guys think Valve would have hinted at something if this was really a possibility?

herzogzwei1989 said:
Oh fuck yeah that would be amazing.

Would that even be possible, technically?

Technically? Yes. I mean, the device will have Netflix.
Will it happen? No.
They'll probably put up segments of it on the eShop, though.

Sianos

Fernando Rocker said:
Imagine if Nintendo streams the conference in 3D to our 3DS...

My body is ready.
That would be utterly amazing and the perfect way to solve the issue in that you can't see 3D through an average computer screen.

KrawlMan said:
I love NeoGAF, but Nintendo doesn't stand a chance at living up to the hype and expectations amassed here lol.

It never does, but they'll have a great show, regardless.
Lots of new 3DS stuff plus Cafe. Baring a PS3 like price point, it'll be pretty awesome.

KrawlMan said:
I love NeoGAF, but Nintendo doesn't stand a chance at living up to the hype and expectations amassed here lol.
New rumors

New system will have shitty 3rd party support
Passable but still shitty online service
Underpowered compared to the competition
Will Have Nintendo IPs
new idea will be emulated by competitors consoles in the future

more at 11

BY2K

Membero Americo
AceBandage said:
It never does, but they'll have a great show, regardless.
Lots of new 3DS stuff plus Cafe. Baring a PS3 like price point, it'll be pretty awesome.

I really don't see Reggie or Iwata going: FIVE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS!

With no controller, 100$ each.

rpmurphy said:
NoA needs to get Nintendo Week on 3DS.

It'd be great if they force pushed Nintendo Week or montage trailers for upcoming games to the 3DS and Cafe. It would be great for promoting games and stuff.

KrawlMan said:
Nope.

It's ultimately their game to lose, but I think they still have to do a number of things right to get a good result out of this E3.

Everyone is interested in Cafe, but they still have to push the 3DS hard. It sold under expectations, virtually nothing has been released since launch, and the promises of changing the way we play handheld games have been left unfulfilled. In a situation where the 3DS is already old hat and Sony is going to be showing something that, in straight comparisons, will curbstomp it tech-wise, they have to hit every possible cylinder to get momentum running again.

They also need to explain what the hell they're going to do about the slow (yet rapidly accelerating) death of the Wii. They have one major game announced and it may be coming out this year. While spending too many resources on the Wii right now may be a bad idea, they need to state what their plan for it is until the Cafe comes out. "Fuck it, it's over" is not as valid an answer as they would like to believe.

The Cafe reveal has to be better than the 3DS reveal. While the 3DS drew huge praise last year, the backlash was tough as smaller details eventually came out that turned people off from the system. They need to show game footage, detail why online will not be a mess (though I fully expect Iwata's coy "And we will be telling you all about it later this year. :3" thing), show off the controller, tell people what they will be playing the next day on the show floor.

And of course it's Nintendo, so a decent portion of this show will be Nintendo explaining reaching out for different audiences, 3DS sales, lauding that SSFIV shipped a million units, etc. They'll have a G4 girl come out on stage and use the controller and say "This is really shifting some paradigms!"

Basically what I'm saying is there is no way this conference is going to make everyone happy. They will not hit all these notes, notes they arguably do need to hit, so some people are going to walk away disappointed and/or pissed.

It's probably best to just make peace with that now.

civilstrife said:
Don't cream your pants yet.

Those are Cinema 2.0 demos. Only the scorpion itself is rendered in the first one.
In the other one, only Ruby, the robot and a couple of cars are rendered. The rest is real world footage.

Thanks for pointing that out, I was unaware.

snesfreak

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
New rumors

New system will have shitty 3rd party support
Passable but still shitty online service
Underpowered compared to the competition
Will Have Nintendo IPs
new idea will be called a gimmick by Sony then later blatantly ripped off.
more at 11
Fixed.

ShockingAlberto said:
Nope.

It's ultimately their game to lose, but I think they still have to do a number of things right to get a good result out of this E3.

Everyone is interested in Cafe, but they still have to push the 3DS hard. It sold under expectations, virtually nothing has been released since launch, and the promises of changing the way we play handheld games have been left unfulfilled. In a situation where the 3DS is already old hat and Sony is going to be showing something that, in straight comparisons, will curbstomp it tech-wise, they have to hit every possible cylinder to get momentum running again.

They also need to explain what the hell they're going to do about the slow (yet rapidly accelerating) death of the Wii. They have one major game announced and it may be coming out this year. While spending too many resources on the Wii right now may be a bad idea, they need to state what their plan for it is until the Cafe comes out. "Fuck it, it's over" is not as valid an answer as they would like to believe.

The Cafe reveal has to be better than the 3DS reveal. While the 3DS drew huge praise last year, the backlash was tough as smaller details eventually came out that turned people off from the system. They need to show game footage, detail why online will not be a mess (though I fully expect Iwata's coy "And we will be telling you all about it later this year. :3" thing), show off the controller, tell people what they will be playing the next day on the show floor.

And of course it's Nintendo, so a decent portion of this show will be Nintendo explaining reaching out for different audiences, 3DS sales, lauding that SSFIV shipped a million units, etc. They'll have a G4 girl come out on stage and use the controller and say "This is really shifting some paradigms!"

Basically what I'm saying is there is no way this conference is going to make everyone happy. They will not hit all these notes, notes they arguably do need to hit, so some people are going to walk away disappointed and/or pissed.

All valid points.

ShockingAlberto said:
Nope.

I dunno about that. Nintendo spent like... a minute on sales and growth last year. And with the 3DS not exceeding/meeting exceptions, they have little to boast about this year. It'll be all about the games.

They'll open with Zelda, move onto Super Mario 3DS, announce Xenoblade for NA and show off the first English trailer, show off Kirby and Rhythm Heaven and any other surprise Wii game they have left, show off Kid Icarus and other new 3DS games then announce the Cafe, show off a montage of games (most of which are third party) demo whatever big first party they have ready to play, announce some features (maybe detailing some on the online) and end with Pikmin 3.

That's a pretty realistic layout for their E3 conference and probably pretty close to what will happen.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ShockingAlberto said:
They'll have a G4 girl come out on stage and use the controller and say "This is really shifting some paradigms!"

Huh?

Anyway, I'm sure it will be great. Better than last year, even.

EDIT: What Ace said.

AceBandage said:
I dunno about that. Nintendo spent like... a minute on sales and growth last year. And with the 3DS not exceeding/meeting exceptions, they have little to boast about this year. It'll be all about the games.

They'll open with Zelda, move onto Super Mario 3DS, announce Xenoblade for NA and show off the first English trailer, show off Kirby and Rhythm Heaven and any other surprise Wii game they have left, show off Kid Icarus and other new 3DS games then announce the Cafe, show off a montage of games (most of which are third party) demo whatever big first party they have ready to play, announce some features (maybe detailing some on the online) and end with Pikmin 3.

That's a pretty realistic layout for their E3 conference and probably pretty close to what will happen.

+1 big Cafe-related surprise, too, don't forget.

antonz

Nintendo made it pretty clear leading into E3 last year that they are done experimenting with the purpose of E3. The disaster year where they felt they could casualize E3 taught them a very valuable lesson.

I expect them to bullet point mindfuck gamers with awesomness after awesomeness. They certainly have enough areas they can do it from.

antonz said:
Nintendo made it pretty clear leading into E3 last year that they are done experimenting with the purpose of E3. The disaster year where they felt they could casualize E3 taught them a very valuable lesson.

I expect them to bullet point mindfuck gamers with awesomness after awesomeness. They certainly have enough areas they can do it from.

Yup, pretty much.
Last year, they pretty much got it. They got that E3 is ALL about the hype and the journalists. They have multiple events in the year where they can talk sales to the people that care, but E3 is for the enthusiasts, and having a strong E3 means getting more enthusiasts on board.

BY2K

Membero Americo
AceBandage said:
Unless they save that for the roundtable again.

It would still be mind-blowing. (Probably not "Freaking Solid Snake is in the game" mind-blowing, but still.)

BY2K said:
It would still be mind-blowing. (Probably not "Freaking Solid Snake is in the game" mind-blowing, but still.)

There is ONE way they can top Snake in Brawl...

Travis-Touchdown.jpg

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)

Confirmed Things:

Common Sense:

Halfway to oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom