• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ookami-kun said:
Man I hope third parties don't become a norm in Smash. It's like OGs in Super Robot Wars.

I dunno, I think the third party characters add a bit of spice to the all-Nintendo cast. Granted, to some it's probably like they're treading on "Private Property," but to me it's more like "Honored Guests." I would not, for example, expect Snake to be in Smash Bros. 4, but Mega Man/MMX is a likely candidate.

Lupin the Wolf said:
I'm really starting to drift OT with this, so it's spoiler tag time.[/spoiler]
Def a little bit OT, but in an info starved topic like this everything seems a bit OT.

I mean, could you imagine (I know this wouldn't happen) a few of the big companies (SEGA, capcom, Ninty) getting together and making a legit platformer built from the ground up with levels set up for different characters? You'd have to imagine that it would be incredibly difficult to do but this game shows that it can be done, even with levels designed for one specific playstyle

Gimme a Super Smash-esque platformer. And I mean I real platformer, none of this SSBB single player BS. Put it on Cafe. Let me play online. With friends. With friendly fire.

Oh dear god would it be amazing.

For Smash, I think having iconic retro characters fits the series. Sonic/Mega Man/Maybe Ryu are all classic characters and helped to shape Nintendo's consoles back in the day.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ookami-kun said:
Man I hope third parties don't become a norm in Smash. It's like OGs in Super Robot Wars.

I hope they dont become so dominant that they impact the Nintendo mascot roster, but I'm all for more third characters. I loved having both Snake and Sonic available in Brawl, and I hope they return for the next game. I'd love to see Travis Touchdown, Megaman, Simon Belmont, and any other gaming icons make an appearance.

But as I said in another thread, I'm the Smash fan that the hardcore Smash fans hate :lol. I couldn't give a shit about Smash being some highly refined competitive Nintendo game, and just want more more more of everything in the game. More IP's making an appearance, more characters on the roster, more items to use, more maps, MOAR.

Log4Girlz

BMF said:
So, at this point our semi-reliable rumor list is:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Traditional layout controller with a 6" screen.
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Hard Drive/SD Card compatibility
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)
Motion Control (new variation?)

Confirmed Things:

Partnering with an outside company for online.
Spending more time fostering 3rd party relationships.

Common Sense:

Should support all HD resolutions
HDMI support and component/composite

Halfway to oblivion.

Man, I just want a developer after E3 to discuss just how much more powerful than the Wii the Cafe is. I mean, the Wii uses technology from the successor to the N64...god that makes it sound even more ancient.

Y
Log4Girlz said:
Man, I just want a developer after E3 to discuss just how much more powerful than the Wii the Cafe is. I mean, the Wii uses technology from the successor to the N64...god that makes it sound even more ancient.[/QUOTE

as long as it can run unreal engine 4, cryengine 3, the lastest mt framework and frostbite i will be more than satisfied

Darryl

Banned
Ookami-kun said:

I don't think Nintendo has that many of their own characters left to throw in Smash Bros. If they don't continue the trend of adding new characters, people will just criticize it as being the 'same game' (the most annoying thing I've ever heard). I liked the addition of Sonic + SS in Brawl, and I hope they expand that even further.

I think it'll also help some third-parties feel safer developing Cafe games. If they add Mega Man to one of Cafe's (obviously) highest selling games, it would make releasing a Mega Man console port for Cafe a bit easier. Sonic is selling like crazy right now on the Wii, and doing absolutely terrible on PS360.

I'm surprised Metal Gear wasn't released on the Wii, although you can't really blame them for not wanting to touch the console. With the rumors of Nintendo partnering up with Hideo Kojima, it seems likely that we might see some bits of their relationship come full circle.

I think Smash Bros might be one of Nintendo's greatest tools for helping to gain trust in third parties.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Def a little bit OT, but in an info starved topic like this everything seems a bit OT.

I mean, could you imagine (I know this wouldn't happen) a few of the big companies (SEGA, capcom, Ninty) getting together and making a legit platformer built from the ground up with levels set up for different characters? You'd have to imagine that it would be incredibly difficult to do but this game shows that it can be done, even with levels designed for one specific playstyle

Gimme a Super Smash-esque platformer. And I mean I real platformer, none of this SSBB single player BS. Put it on Cafe. Let me play online. With friends. With friendly fire.

Oh dear god would it be amazing.

For Smash, I think having iconic retro characters fits the series. Sonic/Mega Man/Maybe Ryu are all classic characters and helped to shape Nintendo's consoles back in the day.

I like (read: love) the idea, but it presents a few logistical problems. Mainly that if the characters were going to have unique abilities, the game's stages would have to be simplified in such a way that they could adapt each character to them. For example, if you have a vertical passage that Mario can scale via wall-jump, you'd have to make every character able to wall-jump or just fly up or climb up walls. It would be a nightmare to develop in that sense. If Nintendo developed it, though, I'd buy it for sure.

That said, I am also number one in line to buy a Nintendo-developed Mario/Sonic crossover 2D platformer. Grr! Why hasn't it happened yet?!@?!fvdilm;

Okay, I guess it's probably for the same reason the wet-dream example you offered above hasn't either. Sonic and Mario have different level designs and playing styles. It isn't like Sonic vs. Tails where basically they just attack a little differently and one of them can fly. One of them moves slower, they collect from objects differently than the other (Mario hits them from below, Sonic from above), Mario relies on a supply of power-ups to survive, while Sonic relies upon the presence of rings, etc. All this stuff affects stage design: how well do you distribute items? In Sonic titles they're usually well hidden, but in Mario games they're more common and usually pretty easy to find. How would Mario handle loops? Can he gain enough speed to do loop like Sonic, or does he just, say, spin jump through them? Should loops, a Sonic staple, be omitted altogether?

You can see where lots of logistical problems with the concept come into play. That's part of the reason why I'd buy it so darn fast--Nintendo could figure it out if they put their mind to it, you know? (EAD, EAD Tokyo or Retro, please k thx) :)

CaptainDa

Neo Member
Log4Girlz said:
Man, I just want a developer after E3 to discuss just how much more powerful than the Wii the Cafe is. I mean, the Wii uses technology from the successor to the N64...god that makes it sound even more ancient.[/QUOTE

as long as it can run unreal engine 4, cryengine 3, the lastest mt framework and frostbite i will be more than satisfied

I'm sorry to say this, but it almost certainly won't.

Edit: removed faulty html-code

Krowley

I want a 3d third person deathmatch game with CTF and FFA, and all the standard Quakeish stuff, starring famous nintendo characters. Like super smash brothers, only built for 3d gameplay and a much bigger focus on projectile weaponry (although also plenty of melee stuff as well. )

I've been wanting this for a long time... Almost as long as I've been wanting a free-roam mario mushroom kingdom game.

MYE

Cyborg said:
To much hype will kill you......!

If you can't make up your mind
Torn between excitement
And the letdowns left behind
You're headed for disaster
'cos you never read the signs

Yagharek

MYE said:
If you can't make up your mind
Torn between excitement
And the letdowns left behind
You're headed for disaster
'cos you never read the signs

GAF DOES NOT DISAPPOINT

edit: Disaster not available in all regions. Check your release schedule for more information.

emb

So I just now got around to listening to Iwata's keynote from GDC. In closing, he mentions that it was once thought that no one could view more than one screen at a time, but now many scan their tv, pc, maybe tablet, or phone screen all at the same time. Then he states how popular two screens have proven with DS owners.

Just something that amused me and made me wonder if it was a bit of foreshadowing, or just coincidence. It is after he says he's going to close by talking briefly about the future, but I could easily see it meant to only refer to 3DS.

AniHawk

Darryl said:
DKCR and NSMBW made me hate myself for even being given the option to skip a level.

you're only given the option if you suck hard enough long enough. besides, super guide is nintendo's excuse to make the levels harder so they can please older players without completely frustrating newer players. it's certainly better than the alternative, where they make the level design piss-easy for most of the game (see nsmb ds and the prototype for super mario galaxy).

emb said:
So I just now got around to listening to Iwata's keynote from GDC. In closing, he mentions that it was once thought that no one could view more than one screen at a time, but now many scan their tv, pc, maybe tablet, or phone screen all at the same time. Then he states how popular two screens have proven with DS owners.

:O Don't remember that bit, surprised I've not seen it brought up here before.

I have a feeling (hope) that one week from now I will be watching trailers and gameplay videos from project Cafe games. If so then I'll need lots of tissues

to catch my drool

Log4Girlz

perfectchaos007 said:
I have a feeling (hope) that one week from now I will be watching videos of trailers and gameplay from project Cafe games. If so then I'll need lots of tissues

to catch my drool

I really want to see what Nintendo can do in terms of art design with hardware like what is rumored. Shoot, even if it was just Xbox 360 power, they would be able to make some amazing stuff.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
perfectchaos007 said:
I have a feeling (hope) that one week from now I will be watching trailers and gameplay videos from project Cafe games. If so then I'll need lots of tissues

to catch my drool
One week? You'll be lucky to just get another fan mockup.

Log4Girlz

Ok so guys, in your opinion what is the best single franchise to show this thing off?

New Mario?
Zelda?
F-Zero?
Star Fox?
Crysis?
Witcher 2?

Akai

Log4Girlz said:
Ok so guys, in your opinion what is the best single franchise to show this thing off?

New Mario?
Zelda?
F-Zero?
Star Fox?
Crysis?
Witcher 2?

Pikmin, and it's by no means my favorite Nintendo franchise...

Log4Girlz

Akai said:
Pikmin, and it's by no means my favorite Nintendo franchise...

That is a good choice. I just purchased Pikmin 2 and its incredibly fun and has a great art design. The world lends itself to both photo-realism for some aspects and a light hearted cartoon aesthetic...I imagine the texture of the pikmin's skin to be like the Ants from Bug's life, almost as if they were formed of clay (think stop motion puppets).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Addressing the rumor of the high price point ($350-$400)--I don't think we'll see it that high. I think the absolute debacle that has been the 3DS launch may push them to release at a more reasonable price point.

MYE

Log4Girlz said:
I really want to see what Nintendo can do in terms of art design with hardware like what is rumored. Shoot, even if it was just Xbox 360 power, they would be able to make some amazing stuff.

Here's a glimpse

Docking_Bay_5_HD.jpg

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Plinko said:
Addressing the rumor of the high price point ($350-$400)--I don't think we'll see it that high. I think the absolute debacle that has been the 3DS launch may push them to release at a more reasonable price point.

They might be in a position where the early hype for the 3DS pushed them to go with more expensive parts resulting in a higher price, but post-3DS launch it's too late to lower the manufacturing costs too much.

MYE said:
Here's a glimpse

Dolphin + MP3?

Log4Girlz said:
Man, I was gonna buy the Metroid Trilogy, but I'm holding off. That's looks amazing. WTF could Retro do with a modern GPU? Unfathomable.

Maybe. It's not like Retro has skillpoints in "graphics" that means they can get amazing performance out of anything. Sometimes a generational shift sees graphically stunning game franchises become "just average" and has new developers come out on top, graphics wise.

I'd love to see Retro's art team not constrained by GC era tech of course, but I'm not expecting them to produce anything that will blow my mind technically speaking.

Zomba13

MYE said:
Yup

Here's Other M

http://i.imgur.com/RZCnQ.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2QueQ.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://public.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pG975NPDz5j6tKuRNOv64FUtQXmEgQGEiVpcGJO4GnP1VKKoUwui2RmcDl0TG1AOr4pgiIrneSddJ4i8GFngK6A/Metroid%20Other%20M%20039.jpg[IMG]

[B]hmm ok GAF. Screw you, i'm buying Other M[/B][/QUOTE]
I say you should. As long as you ignore the story part. Doesn't deserve the hate it gets as a game. It plays like what I thought a proper 3D Metroid would. I admit, the controls could be a bit better (like if it was mote+chuck) but it's a pretty fun game, not as good as the Primes or Super Metroid but not a bad game.

NeonZ

Log4Girlz said:

New Mario?
Zelda?
F-Zero?
Star Fox?
Crysis?
Witcher 2?

Smash Bros? There's no way it'll make it for launch (unless it has been developed alongside the new Kid Icarus game even though there has been no announcement), but they'd be able to show a large variety of art styles and designs.

On the other hand, if the screens can be used to stream different content to each controller, a split screen game might do better, but I don't think Mario Kart would be an ideal showcase. Maybe it could be used for single player co-op in Smash?

MYE

I just ordered Other M for £9.85

I hope it doesnt deserve half the GAF hate it gets.

edit:
Zomba13 said:
I say you should. As long as you ignore the story part. Doesn't deserve the hate it gets as a game. It plays like what I thought a proper 3D Metroid would. I admit, the controls could be a bit better (like if it was mote+chuck) but it's a pretty fun game, not as good as the Primes or Super Metroid but not a bad game.

Ahh, good to know.
Thanks

It's more of Retro's focus on details and textures that make their games look so amazing.

MYE said:
I just ordered Other M for £9.85

I hope it doesnt deserve half the GAF hate it gets.

It doesn't. It's a really fun game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It has a dreadful story loaded with equally dreadful cutscenes. It's also more focused on linearity and action than one would expect from Metroid.

But the action itself is good, and it has great boss fights. Its fun if you can block out the story.

[Nintex]

Log4Girlz said:

New Mario?
Zelda?
F-Zero?
Star Fox?
Crysis?
Witcher 2?
F-Zero insane graphics at 60fps and high speeds. It needs to happen at launch.

MYE said:
If i can endure MGS4's story, i'm sure i'll manage Other M's.

I liked both.
:(

Also, Smash would be the best showcase for the system. Both in terms of graphics and online.
Especially if the expand it to 8 player battles! Mwahahahaha!

I'm going to get in on the game ideas game:

New Super Mario World

It could be 2D or even 3D. Every player has their own screen, so they can be at different areas of the map without the TV having to zoom out like crazy. Imagine one player going down a pipe into the underworld to hit a POW block or exclamation switch that transforms the terrain above... maybe one player takes a vine up to the clouds... enemies bopped on the head could fall down to Earth... it'd be the Mario equivalent of Four Swords Adventures.

Star Road (<<< my truly nonsense fantasy wet-dream game)

Star road would bring pervasive Nintendo worlds and different gameplay styles online in one place. Worlds could be added as Downloadable Content...

Mario mode:
  • a free-roaming Mushroom Kingdom sandbox or lobby.
  • Imagine engaging in competitive platforming... stars and coins could be limited in each game session, renewed only on a certain frequency. These could be rewarded by Game Coins (as found on 3DS)... this would keep people coming online to compete with each other for them every hour / day / week / month.
  • You'd be able to pick players up and throw them like in NSMB, or hurt them and take their power ups.
  • Imagine arriving at a Mario GP course where you could seamlessly jump into a kart and go around the track.
  • Imagine areas of the map that are only accessible with a Kuribo shoe, picking up a flight power-up, or by hitching a ride on a Yoshi, or a bullet bill. These items could be finite, forcing players to compete for these too.

Wuhu island mode:
  • another free roamer, but with all of the activities of the Wii Sports, Sports Resort and Pilotwings games thrown into one game, with even more activities.
  • Imagine a game like Warhawk, but instead of flag capturing and fast aerial dogfights, its Miis running about everywhere...
  • It could act as a lobby for Tennis tournaments, or cycling competitions up to the top of the Maku volcano. Winners could be given Game Coins.
  • Every now and then a lobby objective /activity could change or be announced, forcing a mad rush of Miis to try and find planes, rocket belts, gliders, boats or jetskis, or to simply race on foot to a certain location.
  • Imagine a "Wanted" poster appearing on everyone's screen showing a Mii who they have to find. Basically make one player hunted in a game of hide and seek online.
  • Or how about an island treasure hunt, with every player given a metal detector and a shovel that works just as it did in A Link to the Past?
  • Again, all the goals in this world could be renewed on a certain frequency, rewarding Game Coins for those who do well, encouraging players to come back again and again.

Boerseun

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I'm going to get in on the game ideas game:

New Super Mario World

It could be 2D or even 3D. Every player has their own screen, so they can be at different areas of the map without the TV having to zoom out like crazy. Imagine one player going down a pipe into the underworld to hit a POW block or exclamation switch that transforms the terrain above... maybe one player takes a vine up to the clouds... enemies bopped on the head could fall down to Earth... it'd be the Mario equivalent of Four Swords Adventures.

Star Road (<<< my truly nonsense fantasy wet-dream game)

Star road would bring pervasive Nintendo worlds and different gameplay styles online in one place. Worlds could be added as Downloadable Content...

Mario mode:
  • a free-roaming Mushroom Kingdom sandbox or lobby.
  • Imagine engaging in competitive platforming... stars and coins could be limited in each game session, renewed only on a certain frequency. These could be rewarded by Game Coins (as found on 3DS)... this would keep people coming online to compete with each other for them every hour / day / week / month.
  • You'd be able to pick players up and throw them like in NSMB, or hurt them and take their power ups.
  • Imagine arriving at a Mario GP course where you could seamlessly jump into a kart and go around the track.
  • Imagine areas of the map that are only accessible with a Kuribo shoe, picking up a flight power-up, or by hitching a ride on a Yoshi, or a bullet bill. These items could be finite, forcing players to compete for these too.

Wuhu island mode:
  • another free roamer, but with all of the activities of the Wii Sports, Sports Resort and Pilotwings games thrown into one game, with even more activities.
  • Imagine a game like Warhawk, but instead of flag capturing and fast aerial dogfights, its Miis running about everywhere...
  • It could act as a lobby for Tennis tournaments, or cycling competitions up to the top of the Maku volcano. Winners could be given Game Coins.
  • Every now and then a lobby objective /activity could change or be announced, forcing a mad rush of Miis to try and find planes, rocket belts, gliders, boats or jetskis, or to simply race on foot to a certain location.
  • Imagine a "Wanted" poster appearing on everyone's screen showing a Mii who they have to find. Basically make one player hunted in a game of hide and seek online.
  • Or how about an island treasure hunt, with every player given a metal detector and a shovel that works just as it did in A Link to the Past?
  • Again, all the goals in this world could be renewed on a certain frequency, rewarding Game Coins for those who do well, encouraging players to come back again and again.

*thumbs up* Brilliant ideas! I would love to play these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom