• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
AceBandage said:
There is ONE way they can top Snake in Brawl...

Travis-Touchdown.jpg

Mother of God.

D-Pad

AceBandage said:
There is ONE way they can top Snake in Brawl...

Why won't this ever happen? :(

Also: Lloyd Irving. Tales already feels a lot like Smash in the battles, so it would be a natural fit. More natural than a Irving in Soul Calibur, anyway.

I wouldn't say Travis in Smash will NEVER happen.
I mean, Suda has said he'd like it to happen, so if he approaches Sakurai about it, it could be possible.

Kamek

If Geno were to be in the next Smash Bros. iteration, I don't know how the internet would handle it. The amount of hype would be too much for my mere mortal body to handle. 9999 Exor.

Triton55

I've gone ahead and and tried to make some approximations of when we can expect new games from each of EAD's studios based on this chart I found at The Kyoto Report.

Basically, this just gives us some clues as to which EAD teams are free to work on Cafe and I've made some fairly obvious speculations about what franchise each team would be working on.
Purple=Additional games/info that had been left out
Blue=My extrapolation/speculation

EADspeculation.png

My main conclusions:
-I didn't know that EAD Tokyo apparently split up into 2 teams around 2008, which leaves one of them wide open...Mario Cafe anyone?
-With OoT3DS being co-developed with Grezzo, we'll probably see an original 3DS Zelda sooner rather than later
-EAD 4 and 5 are available for the fabled new Miyamoto IP. EAD4 probably has the bulk of its resources devoted to Pikmin 3, though the NSMB guys might be tossing around some ideas on the side. EAD5 would be the best candidate for making a new IP, and given that Steel Diver was partially outsourced, work probably is well underway. Or they could be making Star Fox or F-Zero or something like that.. not sure what their backgrounds are before Wii Fit.
-Zelda, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing iterations are a long way off.
-I'm guessing the launch-area will consist of Pikmin 3 and a new casual game, with Mario and whatever EAD5 is working on following in the next year or so.

Of course, this is all just EAD's teams, not accounting for SPD or Retro or other outside devs. There's definitely room for additional input and insight on this matter, so I'd love to hear any feedback.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hey, since Ocarina of Time 3D was co-developed, does that mean we can expect the first real 3DS Zelda sooner?

EDIT: Beaten, wth.

And wrong thread, too.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
-I didn't know that EAD Tokyo apparently split up into 2 teams around 2008, which leaves one of them wide open...Mario Cafe anyone?

Keep in mind that there is still a finite amount of resources. So if Koizumi uses up a certain amount of staff on a game, then Shimizu only has x amount of resources for whatever project he is producing.

But. There is a good chance that Shimizu may be involved in Star Fox 64 3DS. Whether inhouse or co-developed. I think his group is involved.

-With OoT3DS being co-developed with Grezzo, we'll probably see an original 3DS Zelda sooner rather than later

Between Cafe and 3DS. A new four swords has to be in development right??

EAD 4 and 5 are available for the fabled new Miyamoto IP. EAD4 probably has the bulk of its resources devoted to Pikmin 3, though the NSMB guys might be tossing around some ideas on the side. EAD5 would be the best candidate for making a new IP, and given that Steel Diver was partially outsourced, work probably is well underway. Or they could be making Star Fox or F-Zero or something like that.. not sure what their backgrounds are before Wii Fit.

I think EAD Group No.4 may potentially take the lead point. With Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros. Stream. The timing. Technology. It is all there. But Nintendo is not a predictable company in some regards.

EAD Group No.5 I think will definitely work on F-Zero something. But I think it will most likely be co-developed like Steel Diver. But still. At least EAD will be involved in a true development process.

Of course, this is all just EAD's teams, not accounting for SPD or Retro or other outside devs. There's definitely room for additional input and insight on this matter, so I'd love to hear any feedback.

Sakamoto's SPD Group No.1 team has to have some games cooking. They have 2-inhouse teams. And also like to co-develop 1 game on top of that.

Is it weird that this thread is like the only entertainment-related thing I get excited about in my free time right now? (Well, that and the new Lupin the Third TV series that was just announced.)

cvxfreak

ShockingAlberto said:
A) Launching with online games. How the 3DS only had one major online game at launch is honestly beyond me. Madden didn't even have multiplayer! DS took until Mario Kart, Wii took until...shit, can't remember. BWii?.

In Japan, Pokemon Battle Revolution hit within 10 days of launch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Instro said:
Seriously, I loved that game. One of the better online experiences on the wii too.
Yep. The CPU could be maddening at times, especially if you got cheaped out after playing through a long tournament but the game was incredibly fun especially in local multi. I think most of the Nintendo real sports titles are actually quite underrated.

AstroLad said:
Yep. The CPU could be maddening at times, especially if you got cheaped out after playing through a long tournament but the game was incredibly fun especially in local multi. I think most of the Nintendo real sports titles are actually quite underrated.

Yep, gotta agree with that.

Makes me happy to see some love for that game.

Darryl

Banned
@Triton, you pretty much hit any speculation I had right on.

EAD #1 would definitely stick with Mario Kart. Launching 2 years would totally fit into their history with that series, and that lines up pretty well with their current development.

EAD #2 is most likely working on a new Animal Crossing title, although if they don't have any big Stream-exclusive plans for that game, I wouldn't be surprised if they let someone else take over it while they work on something else.

EAD #3 confused me. Did the team assigned to the handheld-line of Zelda games get pushed into making a console Zelda? That, along with them pushing OoT onto Grezzo would make it seem like they've got a Zelda Cafe title in the making.

EAD #4 is one of the more confusing ones. Pikmin 3 seems like a no-brainer, they've already announced it and there's no way it's going to be shoveled onto the Wii. I doubt we'll see a game from the NSBM line from them this early, either.

EAD #5 will probably stick to the more casual titles. I doubt we'll see anything fun here.

The surprising part would be with Tokyo.

Mother 4, F-Zero, Mario Universe, or something completely new.

Caramello

Triton55 said:
I've gone ahead and and tried to make some approximations of when we can expect new games from each of EAD's studios based on this chart I found at The Kyoto Report.

Basically, this just gives us some clues as to which EAD teams are free to work on Cafe and I've made some fairly obvious speculations about what franchise each team would be working on.
Purple=Additional games/info that had been left out
Blue=My extrapolation/speculation

EADspeculation.png

My main conclusions:
-EAD 4 and 5 are available for the fabled new Miyamoto IP. EAD4 probably has the bulk of its resources devoted to Pikmin 3, though the NSMB guys might be tossing around some ideas on the side. EAD5 would be the best candidate for making a new IP, and given that Steel Diver was partially outsourced, work probably is well underway. Or they could be making Star Fox or F-Zero or something like that.. not sure what their backgrounds are before Wii Fit.
-Zelda, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing iterations are a long way off.
-I'm guessing the launch-area will consist of Pikmin 3 and a new casual game, with Mario and whatever EAD5 is working on following in the next year or so.

You have to remember that Nintendo moves people around to develop games they see potential in more quickly. For example much of the Wii Fit team were from the Twilight Princess dev team.

With that in mind, I see the following scenario for Nintendo's next generation home system and 3DS;

EAD 1

Holiday 2013: Next Generation Mario Kart

EAD 2

Early 2012: Animal Crossing 3DS
2012: Next Generation Wii Series launch title
Holiday 2014: Next Generation Wii Series title
Early 2015: Next Generation Animal Crossing

EAD 3

2011: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Holiday 2012: The Legend of Zelda: 3DS
Holiday 2014: Next Generation The Legend of Zelda

EAD 4

2012: Pikmin 3
Holiday 2012: New Super Mario Bros. 3DS/Next Generation Home System???

***Nintendo could very well want to have New Super Mario Bros. with multiplayer for the first holiday period of their next system because of the rumoured features of the new controller. On the other hand, 3DS will be without a 2D Mario for quite a long time if this happens***

EAD 5

???

EAD Tokyo #1

2013: Next Generation Super Mario

EAD Tokyo #2

Holiday 2011: Super Mario 3DS

Of course it's all speculation and we have no idea what Nintendo may want to develop in the coming years and how it may differ from what each team has made over the last few years.. It's very exciting times though! Remember there's so many second parties as well with Retro Studios probably having a game ready by 2013, Intelligent Systems hopefully bring us a new Paper Mario title and many more! Perhaps Project Sora and HAL will collaborate for a new Super Smash Bros for 2014? :D

Olaeh

If they show Smash at E3 it'll be nuts. Travis and Geno too, and it'll be like the entire dojo thread all rolled into a hype span of two days.
...plus if it was somehow playable? E3 of the forever... or at least will be TP unveiling level hype and reaction.

antonz

Im kinda expecting we will hear about a Luigi led game this E3. Just a nagging feeling. Cant decide if it will be for Cafe or 3DS though

Darryl

Banned
Im kinda expecting we will hear about a Luigi led game this E3. Just a nagging feeling. Cant decide if it will be for Cafe or 3DS though

If they're going to try this whole 'please the third-party' approach than it would make sense for them to release a Luigi-based game before a big-titled Mario one.

Luigi in Trouble #2 would do well to please the hardcore Nintendo fans, but probably won't dominate the market as to give third-parties a chance to make some good games.

Krowley

I want to see next gen 3d mario unveiled. I know it's probably unlikely to be a launch game, but I'll be thrilled if they show it.

I think zelda is basically out of the question since they're almost certainly not gonna move this one, but I think there is a slight chance we could see a Metroid game. Nobody knows what retro's working on, and there's always a chance that it might be Metroid, which would thrill me as well.

Finally, I have a weird hankering to see an F-zero game. It strikes me as the perfect game series to show off graphics on a new console.

Darryl

Banned
Shadowlink said:
Probably said it a while ago in this same thread, but we seriously need a New Yoshi's Island for the next console!

I'd be sick if, instead of making a NSMB: Cafe, they just took the same concept and applied it to Yoshi's Island.
yoshivertpause.gif

It could be just like NSMB with the ability to go at it by yourself, or have friends tag in and have everyone as a group try to save Baby Mario. That'd be such a fun co-op. Except this time, no easy 'Super Guide Luigi'. Give it to us tough, like the actual older versions. If you need to, make a 'casual' option you can pick at the start. DKCR and NSMBW made me hate myself for even being given the option to skip a level.

Casual, Normal, and Hard modes for once! Give those speed-runners something to play with.

Fou-Lu

I'm hoping the next 2D Mario side scroller will take more influence from Super Mario World. A modern SMW would be fantastic.

Triton55

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Keep in mind that there is still a finite amount of resources. So if Koizumi uses up a certain amount of staff on a game, then Shimizu only has x amount of resources for whatever project he is producing.
Right.
In fact, maybe they could solve this by transferring some EAD4 guys over to Tokyo and have them help out with a 3D Mario that has some sort of co-op. Just an idea.
Also, I read on The Kyoto Report blog that EAD Tokyo 1 had just hired 20 new employees and Nintendo is pretty intent on expanding them. A Mario game is always released within the first year of any Nintendo home console's life, so this is definitely being developed in tandem with Cafe. Whether or not we'll see it at E3 is the big question.

Darryl said:
EAD #3 confused me. Did the team assigned to the handheld-line of Zelda games get pushed into making a console Zelda? That, along with them pushing OoT onto Grezzo would make it seem like they've got a Zelda Cafe title in the making.

EAD #4 is one of the more confusing ones. Pikmin 3 seems like a no-brainer, they've already announced it and there's no way it's going to be shoveled onto the Wii. I doubt we'll see a game from the NSBM line from them this early, either.

Aonuma kind of addressed the deal with his team in the IGN interview from last E3

Aonuma said:
The director for Skyward Sword is Hidemaro Fujibayashi, who was the sub-director for Phantom Hourglass. So once he finished Phantom Hourglass, they started actually working on Skyward Sword. Then they started Spirit Tracks, and so those were all pretty much being worked on all at the same time. And then when they finished Spirit Tracks, Mr. Fujibayashi and the rest of his crew came back over to Skyward Sword.

Sounds like movement between the handheld/console Zelda sub-groups is pretty fluid and need-based. Whoever made the chart I'm guessing split up the two lines loosely based on the directors.

On the topic of Zelda.. this statement is very interesting knowing what we do now.
Aonuma said:
Absolutely. There's always the possibility of [the Four Swords Adventures concept] coming back and taking center stage. Multi-play, online play -- I'm always think about how we could take that and re-envision it. It's in my mind a lot. I'm looking forward to the day when we can do that and present it to everyone. I don't have a plan or a definite timeline. But am I thinking about it? Absolutely.

Caramello said:
Nintendo could very well want to have New Super Mario Bros. with multiplayer for the first holiday period of their next system because of the rumoured features of the new controller. On the other hand, 3DS will be without a 2D Mario for quite a long time if this happens
Yeah, this is kind of my thinking. Except New Super Mario Bros seems so... Wii/DS generation to me. I'd much prefer if they just made true co-op in a 3D Mario game, like with what Miyamoto experimented with for Mario 64 2.

Ichor said:
Nintendo speculation threads are amazing. I can't fucking wait for E3.

Seconded!

Someone mentioned a lack of controller feature discussion. Here's my bullet list for what I expect/want from the new console (i.e.,, predictions/wishlist):

- GameCube/Classic Controller Pro hybrid button schemes on the sides (GameCube in that the analog sticks will not line up on both sides, but featuring a Classic Controller Pro-style face button arrangement)
- 6.2" touch screen in the center, not too unlike an NGP/PSP2 design, but preferably with handles and double triggers.
- Analog sticks that click-in (Not as likely, since Nintendo has never implemented this with previous traditional controllers--maybe because it "wasn't their idea to start with"?).
- Rechargeable batteries packed inside the controller that can be replaced easily by the consumer but can be charged without proprietary equipment (i.e., a USB cable should do the trick). Ideally, there will be either a AA battery alternative. I would prefer an option to insert AA rechargeables and have them recharge via cable, so you don't have to buy a proprietary battery pack that won't work in 3-5 years' time.
- The side of the controller facing the player will feature a VGA (640x480) camera.
- The controller will feature a Home Button that will turn on the controller a la Xbox 360/PS3-style and boot the system as well. A merging of the Home and Power buttons on the Wii.
- Traditional headphones/earbuds will likely be an option. Wireless headsets might not be an option early on. I expect a proprietary headphone jack on the controller like the DS product line featured. However, if the console is using Bluetooth again, it's not impossible to see Headset support coming with a firmware update (updates that, we expect, are more like the 360's and PS3's are now, and less like the Wii's broken "multiple firmwares for different games" crock).
- The controller might have a basic mic built in, but it might not work so well when pressing the controller's buttons due to vibrations. That said, the 3DS mic seems to react well to button presses while listening for input. You have to tap the system pretty hard to get your icons to spin....
- Screen brightness settings are likely available.
- Possible screen on/off option? This might not work well if available for every title, where the screen might be a required gimmick for play, though (Zelda Four Swords/Pac-Man Vs., for instance).
- Potentially a touchscreen-specific rumble feature, touted as "haptic" touch by media, which may or may not be as effective as one would hope for.
- Will probably be subtle in colors. I expect something looking more like the Wii and less like the "Fisher Price-toy"-looking GameCube controller. (Not my words, but those white Cube controllers at the old SpaceWorld reveal really did look kinda silly, let's be honest, here.)
- I expect some sort of controller number indicator, if it's not somehow permanently integrated into the touchscreen's display.

That's all I've got for now.

watershed

Banned
I noticed this answer from the Aonuma interview with IGN someone posted earlier. There's an interesting bit about maybe a project in the works:

IGN said:
IGN: So, I'm asking you Zelda questions basically. In Four Swords Adventures for example, people see that as a favorable game, but it was very limited in that you had to have several Game Boy Advance systems, and the GameCube, and bunch of Link Cables. Now that the technology allows for it, do you think that idea could come back? Maybe for the DS?

Aonuma: Absolutely. There's always the possibility of that coming back and taking center stage. Multi-play, online play -- I'm always think about how we could take that and re-envision it. It's in my mind a lot. I'm looking forward to the day when we can do that and present it to everyone. I don't have a plan or a definite timeline. But am I thinking about it? Absolutely.

Sorry, I can't give it away and I don't want to get too detailed, because it'll end up like Mr. Miyamoto and Pikmin 3 where people are asking me every year "When is that coming? Where is that?" And I don't want to get stuck in that loop.

So on one hand he doesn't have a "plan or definite timeline" on the other he doesn't want to "give it away" or "get too detailed". Also he likens the idea of getting too detailed to Miyamoto confirming Pikmin 3 being in development which sounds like to me that he is definitely working on something but doesn't want to confirm that the project exists. Cafe related? 3ds maybe?

Lupin the Wolf said:
Seconded!

Someone mentioned a lack of controller feature discussion. Here's my bullet list for what I expect/want from the new console (i.e.,, predictions/wishlist):

- GameCube/Classic Controller Pro hybrid button schemes on the sides (GameCube in that the analog sticks will not line up on both sides, but featuring a Classic Controller Pro-style face button arrangement)
- 6.2" touch screen in the center, not too unlike an NGP/PSP2 design, but preferably with handles and double triggers.
- Analog sticks that click-in (Not as likely, since Nintendo has never implemented this with previous traditional controllers--maybe because it "wasn't their idea to start with"?).
- Rechargeable batteries packed inside the controller that can be replaced easily by the consumer but can be charged without proprietary equipment (i.e., a USB cable should do the trick)
- The side of the controller facing the player will feature a VGA (640x480) camera.
- The controller will feature a Home Button that will turn on the controller a la Xbox 360/PS3-style and boot the system as well. A merging of the Home and Power buttons on the Wii.
- Traditional headphones/earbuds will likely be an option. Wireless headsets might not be an option early on. I expect a proprietary headphone jack on the controller like the DS product line featured. However, if the console is using Bluetooth again, it's not impossible to see Headset support coming with a firmware update (updates that, we expect, are more like the 360's and PS3's are now, and less like the Wii's broken "multiple firmwares for different games" crock).
- The controller might have a basic mic built in, but it might not work so well when pressing the controller's buttons due to vibrations. That said, the 3DS mic seems to react well to button presses while listening for input. You have to tap the system pretty hard to get your icons to spin....
- Screen brightness settings are likely available.
- Possible screen on/off option? This might not work well if available for every title, where the screen might be a required gimmick for play, though (Zelda Four Swords/Pac-Man Vs., for instance).
- Potentially a touchscreen-specific rumble feature, touted as "haptic" touch by media, which may or may not be as effective as one would hope for.
- Will probably be subtle in colors. I expect something looking more like the Wii and less like the "Fisher Price-toy"-looking GameCube controller. (Not my words, but those white Cube controllers at the old SpaceWorld reveal really did look kinda silly, let's be honest, here.)
- I expect some sort of controller number indicator, if it's not somehow permanently integrated into the touchscreen's display.

That's all I've got for now.

Pressing home will bring up the home menu on your controller not the tv :)

artwalknoon said:
I noticed this answer from the Aonuma interview with IGN someone posted earlier. There's an interesting bit about maybe a project in the works:

So on one hand he doesn't have a "plan or definite timeline" on the other he doesn't want to "give it away" or "get too detailed". Also he likens the idea of getting too detailed to Miyamoto confirming Pikmin 3 being in development which sounds like to me that he is definitely working on something but doesn't want to confirm that the project exists. Cafe related? 3ds maybe?

The important part to note is that he brings up your bolded part specifically when being asked about Four Swords Adventures and how it used to be more limiting. Something "Zelda" for this system is up over there, I think. "Four Swords 3," maybe?

Depending on when in 2012 Cafe launches, we could very well see ports of:

Mass Effect 3
Tomb Raider
GTA 5
Mirror's Edge 2 (I can hope)
etc

Some of these games might end up as day and date releases with the other versions.

NinjaFusion said:
Pressing home will bring up the home menu on your controller not the tv :)

A good thought. That could go either way. Does the controller have its own significant memory or room for saving settings? Or a significant CPU? I recall reports from IGN implied that the controller was nothing more than a shell for streaming content too, not a device to use on its own (which I recall either one other report suggested or many just speculated). However, I think it's most likely that pressing the Home button will turn on the controller AND the console, and the controller will simply provide options for interacting with the console, or changing settings on your controller (screen brightness, etc.).

I do however, agree that it's possible that pressing the Home button on the controller during play will only show the home menu on your own screen, although it might still pause any gameplay that would otherwise be running (although, possibly not, depending on the type of multiplayer game being played--FF:CC did not pause the game for other players, but an FPS probably should).

Another controller feature I expect:
- An external speaker. If the Wii Remote had it, I'm sure this will too. However, volume control will be available either via touch-screen or via physical button hidden on the back or top or something.

Lupin the Wolf said:
I actually reviewed this game for the Game Scripting class I'm taking right now. I should give it another run, though (why not, right?).
I hope they keep updating it...All it needs is a battletoad and I'd call it complete.

I also wish there was a full screen/widescreen option but it would probably get pulled by Nintendo at that point.

Any cool technical details about the game that you learned of during your review?

CoffeeJanitor said:
I hope they keep updating it...All it needs is a battletoad and I'd call it complete.

I also wish there was a full screen/widescreen option but it would probably get pulled by Nintendo at that point.

Any cool technical details about the game that you learned of during your review?

I'm really starting to drift OT with this, so it's spoiler tag time.

All I did was play it online like any regular person might, so I'm afraid other than personal observations about the mechanics, nothing stands out. One tiny detail I noticed is that he'll often give the characters small ability tweaks to make them unlike their original counterparts just enough so that each one could complete the game if they attempted to. (ex.: Mega Man has Rush Coil to make higher jumps that solo MM cannot, Zelda 1 Link didn't jump AT ALL, etc.). I'd say he did a great job in that respect, because even though it's a little jarring for Link to hop over a tall pipe, it's a clever reapplication for him to get different Ring colors and abilities as he collects power-ups. I'm also very impressed at how closely he follows the SMB physics in the game, but as someone who played the original for ages as a kid, I did notice the occasional oddity with the jumping where it would not feel "quite right," even as Mario. I'm not entirely sure how he got it so close to the NES game in execution in Flash, but color me impressed.

EDIT: Oh, bottom-of-the-page'd anyway, so maybe it's not such a big deal, after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom