• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

Ironically, this will help extend the life of the NGP and 3DS. I see a lot of NGP,PS3, CAFE ports in the near future. Don't b suprisec if a few ngp launch titles become wii2 launch titles as well.

NeonZ

thehillissilent said:
They are even suggesting that the GPU may be weaker than Xenos in some applications. Really, Eurogamer, really?

Can't that be referencing streaming games to multiple controller screens + the main screen (or not)?

Although I think it should at least match the 360 even under those conditions (resolution of individual screens aside), that might be what they're talking about if all the rumors about streaming games are correct.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've been out of the DS scene lately, so this is an honest question- has there been a DS game where two screens were absolutely fundimental to the gameplay, aside from saving screen space by moving HUD elements to the top/bottom?

Showmeyamoves said:
Backwards compatible that's a given, but what about our VC games? That must have been discussed before. Like will they let us do something similar to the DSi --> 3DS?

It's fairly safe to assume that System Transfer will be a standard feature for Cafe and all future Nintendo hardware, provided Cafe has BC.

Hiro

Banned
From The Dust said:
last I heard, Epic said with optimization, they should get the demo to work on one 590. that's still way too much for a 360/PS3/Cafe.

Rein: "We ran [Samaritan] with three GTX580s with a bit of optimization, and we can probably have this run comfortably on one with a slightly lower resolution."

FoneBone said:
Does anyone think that there's a possibility of the touchscreen being detachable, or is that just crazy talk on my part?

everything has basically be thought of, detachable thingmabobs and transformers, everything. but the french site ( the one who reported the name Café before anyone else), have said the controller as of now looks closest to the one in the op and that design doesn't look like there would be any purpose in detaching the touchscreen.

CrazyGamesDude

Neo Member
It would be awesome if you could have the controller plugged into the system and play the games on the TV and then unplug the controller and have the game portable on the controller and play on the controller screen. Of course the controller would have to have a lot of memory space in order to store the games on it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh so now it's weaker than the Xbox 360?

Cool. Thanks Eurogamer?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Missing a multiplatform release due to lack of disc space: priceless.

yea it would be. but some have that lingering doubt Nintendo could do everything right. "they gotta mess up something. they always do!"

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
IGN said:
Multiple sources tell IGN the console - dubbed Project Cafe .... The console will also utilize a new, tablet-shaped controller. Sources say it will have a 6-inch touch screen display...
Mr.-Yuck.png

beje

Banned
chubigans said:
I've been out of the DS scene lately, so this is an honest question- has there been a DS game where two screens were absolutely fundimental to the gameplay, aside from saving screen space by moving HUD elements to the top/bottom?

The World Ends With You
Chrono's Twins

to name a couple.

neptunes

chubigans said:
Very few, I'd go a step further and say there were also a small
amount of games that really REQUIRED the touchscreen as well, I.e. that gameplay experience could not be replicated on another console. Games like Meteos, Canvas Curse, and Ouendan could only be played on the DS.

AndyD

aka andydumi
WrikaWrek said:
Impossible.

I don't believe it for one second. It would actually take some effort on Nintendo's part to release something today, that was as expensive as the 360 was 5/6 years ago, and...worse in some cases.

CANT be.

Well include a touchscreen controller with a 6 inch touch screen and all the other bells and whistles necessary and that can drive up the price significantly. $100 controllers anyone?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
JoshuaJSlone said:
Sorry mate, but that's 30 months.

LOL...That's what I get for posting right after I wake up.

wsippel

Banned
It seems Eurogamer knows very little about hardware, anyway:

Going for higher clockspeeds is an option, but would increase cooling costs and could impact on the unit's reliability.
Yeah guys, sure - if Nintendo used the exact same CPU using the exact same process.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
EatChildren said:
Oh so now it's weaker than the Xbox 360?

Cool. Thanks Eurogamer?

Even if you're going by the initial report from the French site, it put the graphics at a notch above 360. Nobody other than a speculative article from Eurogamer has suggested the system will be weaker.

Plinko said:
Even if you're going by the initial report from the French site, it put the graphics at a notch above 360. Nobody other than a speculative article from Eurogamer has suggested the system will be weaker.

And they didn't help their credibility by saying that the 3DS has 512 MB of RAM.

mantidor

I don't get why people put so much weight in the price rumor, that is something no developer will ever know for sure until Nintendo reveals it, we can only get a rough estimate based on specs and even then we are clueless about what kind of deal Nintendo made with hardware manufacturers, which also haven't disclosed anything.

Hiro

Banned
Plinko said:

Does "a notch above 360" mean it can run Project Samaritan? xD
I wish we knew how to interpret 'a notch'. The French site says it agrees with IGN, whereas IGN says "significantly more powerful" than the PS360.

Hiro said:
I wish we knew how to interpret 'a notch'. The French site says it agrees with IGN, whereas IGN says "significantly more powerful" than the PS360.

dude, it may be a while before Samaritan will be running on consoles :p

rpmurphy

chubigans said:
rocket-slime2.jpg

Main action on the bottom, top shows outside view.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hiro said:

I think we need significantly more not just a notch. Otherwise we will again see mostly quick sub HD games from most developers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So wait...is DF saying they've heard it's 50% faster than Xenos, or more a 'what-if' situation?

That kind of shader power minus eDram advantages of Xenos - explaining why it may be at a deficit in some areas?

Speaking for shader power alone, a 50% improvement over Xenos would be disappointing.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I wouldn't rule out anything. In 2006 Nintendo released a repackaged Gamecube to compete with the 360/ps3, and it fucking worked. So a slightly a less powerful 360 or even 2x the power would not be surprising.

Hiro

Banned
From The Dust said:
dude, it may be a while before Samaritan will be running on consoles :p

“We have a pretty good idea of what’s coming next,” said Capps, who added that Epic is already in preproduction on a brand new title for the next generation of game machines. [This be 'Samaritan']

So Epic is already in producing a game for the 8th generation of consoles. If Epic isn't developing Project Samaritan for Cafe, then what could he possibly be referring to? The next Xbox? While they would at least have the Project Cafe devkits to work with and know what to expect, there's no indication that any developer anywhere has or is about to have the devkits for the next Xbox (or PS4 for that matter).

szaromir

Banned
360 was profitable in 2008 at $200 at 65nm. Surely at 32nm in 2012 could pack several times more power into the device and they're likely to charge $300+ for the console,so they'd still be very profitable.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Doc Holliday said:
I wouldn't rule out anything. In 2006 Nintendo released a repackaged Gamecube to compete with the 360/ps3, and it fucking worked. So a slightly a less powerful 360 or even 2x the power would not be surprising.
If they want to play in the "premium" gaming area, it needs to be future proof.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
beje said:
The World Ends With You
Chrono's Twins

to name a couple.
Huh, I'll check those out.

neptunes said:
Very few, I'd go a step further and say there were also a small
amount of games that really REQUIRED the touchscreen as well, I.e. that gameplay experience could not be replicated on another console. Games like Meteos, Canvas Curse, and Ouendan could only be played on the DS.
Never did get a chance to play those games. Interesting that Nintendo thinks consoles could benefit from touchscreen/dual screen when there's not a whole lot of games with the DS setup that is crucial to the experience.

Edit: those other DS games look interesting though. Thanks for the suggestions!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hiro said:
“We have a pretty good idea of what’s coming next,” said Capps, who added that Epic is already in preproduction on a brand new title for the next generation of game machines. [This be 'Samaritan']

So Epic is already in producing a game for the 8th generation of consoles. If Epic isn't developing Project Samaritan for Cafe, then what could he possibly be referring to? The next Xbox?

They're developing to their expected target for next-gen consoles, on high end PCs.

They don't need any one specific console dev kit to do that. If the timing and power requirements match up for Cafe I'm sure they'll put it on it, otherwise they won't.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Isn't it safe to say all these leaked developer impressions are based on the dev kit and not the final hardware?

Pyrokai

Hiro said:

So Epic is already in producing a game for the 8th generation of consoles. If Epic isn't developing Project Samaritan for Cafe, then what could he possibly be referring to? The next Xbox? While they would at least have the Project Cafe devkits to work with and know what to expect, there's no indication that any developer anywhere has or is about to have the devkits for the next Xbox (or PS4 for that matter).

Can someone briefly explain this to me? Isn't Samaritan running on Unreal Engine 3? What about unreal Engine 4?

140.85 said:
Isn't it safe to say all these leaked developer impressions are based on the dev kit and not the final hardware?

I think that is safe to say, especially now that we know it won't be hitting until after April 2012.

The rumored Café controller seems to be sharing many features with the 3DS (touch screen, analogue input etc). Isn't it possible that the 3DS will be able to function as an additional controller if needed, at least for simpler, Four Swords or Pacman Vs. type games? Many Wii games already support more diverse controller setups than that (remote + nunchuck, wheel or classic controller in Mario Kart for example).

I also expect an improved and restyled remote to be included with the system.

Father_Brain said:
This makes a certain degree of sense, but it still has the same two fundamental problems that make me wonder what Nintendo is thinking: it cannibalizes a huge percentage of 3DS' usage (do the Japanese really not use handhelds at home at all?), and potentially throws out motion control as a major feature of the system.

But in terms of the first one: the 3DS has 3D and StreetPass. Realizing that these systems were developed in large part side-by-side, that makes even more sense -- the 3DS has two major features (one visual, one geosocial) designed to clearly distinguish it from Cafe and make sure it has its own role.

In terms of the second, maybe those rumors about the controller acting as a sensor bar were true and you can prop a Cafe controller up on a table and control the game displaying on it using a Wiimote. :p

jett

D-Member
gofreak said:
So wait...is DF saying they've heard it's 50% faster than Xenos, or more a 'what-if' situation?

That kind of shader power minus eDram advantages of Xenos - explaining why it may be at a deficit in some areas?

Speaking for shader power alone, a 50% improvement over Xenos would be disappointing.

Even a midrange R700 gpu should destroy Xenos. It's Digital Foundry being Digital Foundry.

beje

Banned
Vic said:
If they want to play in the "premium" gaming area, it needs to be future proof.

Being able of playing direct up-ports from this gen and downports from PC or next gen Sony/MS consoles is probably good enough future proof if they pack-in good enough hardware. And I really think they're going for a dual GPU solution (hence the xbox-huge form factor) as that way they can get ridiculous prices for a mid-range R700 solution, yet getting enough performance putting two per console in SLI. It would help rendering graphic-intensive apps to the controllers and would also be in line with the "the maximum performance comes when disabling (or not using) the new cool feature" comment we saw some days ago, enabling the use of dual GPU rendering for TV-only games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
chubigans said:

Of course, moving HUD elements is kind of a big deal. Consider the Layton games; you could obviously do them without a second screen, but all of the clones suck because it blows chunks having the rule screen as a toggle overlay over the puzzle screen, as opposed to having them always there.

carlo6529

In terms of power, there is no way the system will be less then a ps3.5. It's kind of dumb to believe this otherwise. They should easily be able to bring out an affordable system with those kind of specs that will clearly put it above 360/ps3 and also still keep them in the game when 720/ps4 launch.

I mean, the system is launching a year from now and 360 tech is already cheaper then 199.99. PS3 tech will be 199.99 by then, making a nice profit. If Nintendo comes in at 299.99-349.99 a year from now, do you honestly believe it won't be noticeably stronger then a ps3 let alone, a 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom