• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xdrive05

So does anyone here really think Nintendo will ditch the ridiculously successful "Wii" brand recognition? They'd be crazy not to name this "Wii 2" or "Wii HD" or something like that.

Of course there's always...

Wii Stream.

. ..
. .

zychi

Banned
Vic said:
Nintendo is prepping a $300+ home console to counter cheap smartphone gaming... LOL! TELL ME MOAR!!
selective bolding ftl. read the sentence before what you bolded. THE CONTROLLER, i didn't say a single thing about the console itself.

manueldelalas said:
It will most certainly have a HDD and you will be able to install and download shit on it, just like on the PS3 and Xbox 360.
I'm not saying it won't have a local HDD. However, having a Bluray drive makes more sense due to the amount of avaiable storage space. You also get to store better quality video and sound as well.

Maxrunner

Kung Fu Grip said:
Why are you getting upset?

I didn't like anything about the wii. The controller, the momy type games, the hardware, nothing. Thats what i mean they lost me. K?

I don't care about pointer controls. Notice the keyword "I' in there.

Isuck?
Iphone...
Ipad....hummmm

[Nintex]

Neiteio said:
June 2012 doesn't make much sense for a hardware launch. If you were Nintendo, wouldn't you rather wait until July so that E3 can be a huge impulse buy hype train for the hardcore? After all, the hardcore are the early adopters who will serve as word-of-mouth ambassadors of the system. I say, show the latest and great line-up of games at E3 2012, launch a marketing blitz at the same time, rake in the pre-orders and sell the system the next month.

In the meanwhile, there is the question of Wii support. If Nintendo localizes Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower -- all of which look fantastic, now that I've actually looked up videos -- then that's an incredibly solid line-up right there. Add in Skyward Sword and Dragon Quest X... and Fatal Frame II, the new Kirby and Rhythm Heaven... and perhaps a new title or two, and Wii should be fine in the interim.
Microsoft will start the 'Xbox Next' viral this E3.
Microsoft unveils Xbox 720 at X12 in February 2012
Nintendo will actually launch the Cafe... at E3 2012 with some rushed launch titles and shoddy ports
Don Mattrick walks on stage, says "$299"

Black hole appears
Earth collapses with Saturn

Xdrive05 said:
So does anyone here really think Nintendo will ditch the ridiculously successful "Wii" brand recognition? They'd be crazy not to name this "Wii 2" or "Wii HD" or something like that.

Wii Stream.

. ..
. .
they still have the name NINTENDO..

Kung Fu Grip said:

I didn't like anything about the wii. The controller, the momy type games, the hardware, nothing. Thats what i mean they lost me. K?

except no one was talking about that stuff. we were talking about controlling Pikmin with a pointer vs a gamepad.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't get the discussion about the streaming... streaming MGS4, Crysis or Angry Birds is exactly the same for the controller, it just acts as a receiver of a video, just like what OnLive does.

If the console is powerful (as reports indicate), then it just needs to run the game in the controller's screen resolution, and then stream it via Wi Fi or something to the controller, it's not that hard...

EatChildren said:
Pretty much. If true, I can see the angle Nintendo are going for.

Nintendo are very much about establishing 'gaming' as a part of every day life for everyone. The Wii attempted to do this by offering an accessible control scheme for titles that are appealing to a wide range of people, hence all the Wii sports and what have you. They wanted to get more people to have gaming in mind. For the 3DS, having an affordable 3D camera (regardless of quality) along with the pedometer and various Mii games is an attempt to make people feel that the 3DS is as much of an accessory as their iPhone or whatever, rather than an alternative. Whether or not they are/will succeed is not the point, that's the angle they're going for.

I could see with the Cafe that they want to integrate this idea of 'constant gaming' inside homes, where home gaming is less about having to organise time or play sessions, but instead something anybody can do at any point in time. Accessibility and flexibility of gaming on the system, regardless of what anybody is doing on the TV or where you are in the house, will be their way of trying to dig their claws into family homes.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Your thoughts sound very much like what Iwata has been saying for two years now. In several interviews he seemed to be talking about how families have less time for gaming because Nintendo was battling against TV programs but I always assumed he was bringing that up to support the need for handhelds as it never occured to me that he was thinking about consoles.
manueldelalas said:
I don't get the discussion about the streaming... streaming MGS4, Crysis or Angry Birds is exactly the same for the controller, it just acts as a receiver of a video, just like what OnLive does.

If the console is powerful (as reports indicate), then it just needs to run the game in the controller's screen resolution, and then stream it via Wi Fi or something to the controller, it's not that hard...
It would also need to run that resolution to 4 controllers simultaneously. I have a feeling we're looking at a pretty powerful console here.

Hiro

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
I just cannot see Nintendo giving a big HDD, regardless of how much it makes sense to do so

I'm sure that earlier you would've said "I just cannot see Nintendo launching a new console in 2012 and anouncing it in 2011, regardless of how much it makes sense to initiate the 8th gen already".

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will actually launch the Cafe... at E3 2012 with some rushed launch titles and shoddy ports
Don Mattrick walks on stage, says "$299"

Black hole appears
Earth collapses with Saturn

There's no way Microsoft is not gonna do a E3-Fall launch structure. They won't go 12-18 months tease period.

Baron Aloha said:
Playable at E3? Games likely easily ported from PC/360? So is anyone else not buying that they are waiting until 2012 to launch this thing?

I see some people saying they wouldn't launch it because 3DS just came out but the GBA->GCN gap was even smaller (assuming this is launching in November).

Iwata said after April 2012. Kinda sad since I was expecting a November 2011 launch.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Playable at E3? Games likely easily ported from PC/360? So is anyone else not buying that they are waiting until 2012 to launch this thing?

I see some people saying they wouldn't launch it because 3DS just came out but the GBA->GCN gap was even smaller (assuming this is launching in November).

Kung Fu Grip said:

Ooooookay.

You're really cool dude. Really cool.

Hiro

Banned
[Nintex] said:

Don't play with my heart like that! As much as I'd love for this to be true, there are no leaks or rumors about the next Xbox being teased/anounced at E3 2011. Then again, earlier I did say that where no rumors exist....start one.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
rise_to_heaven.jpg

^^^

Still possible?

The idea of a screen embedded on the controller sounds incredibly stupid. :(

It's been patently obvious for a while now that Microsoft's launch strategy for their next console is to pair it with Halo 4 as a launch title - hence the use of titles like Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and the rumored CEmake to keep things trucking along until then.

Xdrive05

Well if they're still after the uber-casual market then I doubt the Nintendo name is enough to make the connection. My inlaws and all their friends bought a Wii for Wii Fit, and they don't know what a "Nintendo" is.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
thehillissilent said:
I'm not saying it won't have a local HDD. However, having a Bluray drive makes more sense due to the amount of avaiable storage space. You also get to store better quality video and sound as well.
As I said, PCs uses DVDs, and PC games have better sound and video quality than anything Blu Ray gaming based. The console will most likely have a HDD that will enable you to install and download stuff, and Nintendo will not make each console more expensive just so the two guys with a 52'' screen and 7.1 setup can notice a minimal difference in quality.

Xdrive05 said:
Well if they're still after the uber-casual market then I doubt the Nintendo name is enough to make the connection. My inlaws and all their friends bought a Wii for Wii Fit, and they don't know what a "Nintendo" is.

I can't fathom the though of a person not know who Nintendo is. I just can't

wwm0nkey

Baron Aloha said:

They should launch it this year during November and have Battlefield 3 on it, Superior console version with 64 player support :lol

Hiro said:
I'm sure that earlier you would've said "I just cannot see Nintendo launching a new console in 2012 and anouncing it in 2011, regardless of how much it makes sense to initiate the 8th gen already".
Nah, earlier I was saying that launching in '11 wasn't going to happen and that '12 made the most sense, but you win some you lose some right

EatChildren said:
Pretty much. If true, I can see the angle Nintendo are going for.

Nintendo are very much about establishing 'gaming' as a part of every day life for everyone. The Wii attempted to do this by offering an accessible control scheme for titles that are appealing to a wide range of people, hence all the Wii sports and what have you. They wanted to get more people to have gaming in mind. For the 3DS, having an affordable 3D camera (regardless of quality) along with the pedometer and various Mii games is an attempt to make people feel that the 3DS is as much of an accessory as their iPhone or whatever, rather than an alternative. Whether or not they are/will succeed is not the point, that's the angle they're going for.

I could see with the Cafe that they want to integrate this idea of 'constant gaming' inside homes, where home gaming is less about having to organise time or play sessions, but instead something anybody can do at any point in time. Accessibility and flexibility of gaming on the system, regardless of what anybody is doing on the TV or where you are in the house, will be their way of trying to dig their claws into family homes.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

This makes a certain degree of sense, but it still has the same two fundamental problems that make me wonder what Nintendo is thinking: it cannibalizes a huge percentage of 3DS' usage (do the Japanese really not use handhelds at home at all?), and potentially throws out motion control as a major feature of the system. And it still doesn't exactly fit with Iwata's earlier comments about creating unique experiences that are only possible on one large, shared screen.

Xdrive05 said:
ask them: "What is Nintendo?"

Father_Brain said:
and potentially throws out motion control as a major feature of the system.
because there are even better ways. I guess. When you think of it, it hasn't been used THAT much.. While tocuh controls on the Ds and i-phone seem highly succesfull.

Hiro

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
They should launch it this year during November and have Battlefield 3 on it, Superior console version with 64 player support :lol

Given that Foxconn will have a full supply of units ready by November, I'm genuinely surprised it isn't launching this year.

AndyD

aka andydumi
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will actually launch the Cafe... at E3 2012 with some rushed launch titles and shoddy ports.

I'm with you this far only.

I am curious to see how long will it take Nintendo to cut its teeth on HD games. Early days of this generation showed us it's not an easy transition. I think it will be crucial that early Cafe HD games look as good or better than PS3/360 current quality games. Then again, this is Nintendo, and they will have some new feature as the centerpoint, and graphics will again be way down their priority list.

Ah hell, I thought they would do something like this. I wish they released a bit more info. Wonder what the chance is that they will show it off at the meeting tomorrow.

manueldelalas said:
As I said, PCs uses DVDs, and PC games have better sound and video quality than anything Blu Ray gaming based. The console will most likely have a HDD that will enable you to install and download stuff, and Nintendo will not make each console more expensive just so the two guys with a 52'' screen and 7.1 setup can notice a minimal difference in quality.
You do realize that PC games don't usually play off the disc like most consoles games and that the data is uncompressed onto the harddrive when installed? Also, there are other various factors regarding video/sound quality such as graphics hardware. Anyway, i won't argue anymore with you. Using DVDs next gen is stupid except for BC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Saint Gregory said:
Your thoughts sound very much like what Iwata has been saying for two years now. In several interviews he seemed to be talking about how families have less time for gaming because Nintendo was battling against TV programs but I always assumed he was bringing that up to support the need for handhelds as it never occured to me that he was thinking about consoles.

Pretty much. I think a lot of people (myself included) forget that Nintendo's business is all about gaming. It's a unique business position for them to be in. Their primary source of revenue is gaming. Their business was built on gaming. Every product they produce is about gaming. Regardless of any other media options they supply, it still comes down to one thing; gaming.

Thus it is and always will be in the company's best interest to secure as many people gaming with Nintendo products as possible, and the best way to do that is to push more people into gaming, and encouraging the public perception that gaming is 'normal' and part of every day life. Wii did it by expanding the audience, and the 3DS is attempting to do it by providing people with a new accessory that doesn't replace any existing accessories.

Cafe will be all about not just getting more people gaming, but getting people gaming more frequently and without restrictions. Think about e-shop titles. What if two people in the same house could play seperate smaller downloaded titles on their own controller in seperate rooms? Two people using the same system in different ways at the same time.

I really think this will be their angle.

Father_Brain said:
This makes a certain degree of sense, but it still has the same two fundamental problems that make me wonder what Nintendo is thinking: it cannibalizes a huge percentage of 3DS' usage (do the Japanese really not use handhelds at home at all?), and potentially throws out motion control as a major feature of the system. And it still doesn't exactly fit with Iwata's earlier comments about creating unique experiences that are only possible on one large, shared screen.

If the 3DS could be used as a controller or a place to stream content they could integrate the 3DS into a Cafe home quite easily. As for the motion controls, I have no idea. I like the idea of a tablet, because I know it works, but I hate the idea of losing the pointer and motion controls.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

skygt19

Neo Member
Because that's not its primary focus. Think local multi-player. How about Goldeneye? You'd really rather everyone see where people are on the TV? This is much better - and the TV could act as scoreboard/highlight broadcaster. Now get more creative. A party game where one person is performing an action on the TV and the other players are using their touchscreen to set traps on the unsuspecting player on tv. The screen itself is a great idea. It's the pointer function getting thrown out which is the issue (assuming it's true). Plus, even in single-player, map/inventory/social networking all on the touch screen is a big plus over traditional controllers.

I agree with this. I have a 57 inch TV and I would love it if that TV displays a scoreboard in HD while I hunch over and look at a 6 inch tablet. It will be as exciting as this

cellphonepeople.jpg

Don't mind me though, I also go to restaurants and order a steak, but only eat the garnish, and I also really enjoy Marvel Vs Capcom 3 online solely because I didn't want to watch the fight, just name cards dry humping each other.

AndyD said:
I'm with you this far only.

I am curious to see how long will it take Nintendo to cut its teeth on HD games. Early days of this generation showed us it's not an easy transition. I think it will be crucial that early Cafe HD games look as good or better than PS3/360 current quality games. Then again, this is Nintendo, and they will have some new feature as the centerpoint, and graphics will again be way down their priority list.
Pretty sure they've been using HD assets in their games for a while. Check out the Dolphin thread.

Exuro

Luckyman said:
What's almost as interesting as the rumours themselves right now are the topics not being addressed by the speculation. For example, how much RAM does Project Cafe have? With the 3DS packing 512MB, we would expect more: at least 1GB. And what about onboard storage: iOS-style flash RAM, SD card support or onboard HDD? Assuming an optical drive, is it DVD or Blu-ray based? Can movies be streamed across to the controllers too?

When did this happen?

PokéKong

Xdrive05 said:

Wii Stream.

. ..
. .

There's no way in my mind they would put out a system with a '2' or 'HD' in the name, making it a sequel diminishes the significance of the console and the console before it, and HD has far too many specific things associated with it and is becoming a meaningless buzz word, they wouldn't want to be so attached to it.
We're more likely to get "Super Wii" or some completely new made up nonsense word. Since it's "Project Cafe", perhaps something fancy and french sounding.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
THE:MILKMAN said:
They seem to claim the 3DS has 512MB ram. I thought it had 128MB?

It has 128MB. They're wrong.

Michan

Seeing as it will most likely be backwards-compatible with Wii, it is possible that both the Wii remote and tablet controllers will be encouraged as input methods for this system.

Expanding upon somebody else's idea of players setting traps in a party game with the main player(s) on the big screen: the main player(s) could be using the Wii remote to interact with the screen, whilst the other players are using the tablet devices.

The tablet controller will be great for games like Mario Kart, where it can be used as a wheel and an alternative to split-screen. For Pokémon Stadium, you can easily select your moves without an opponent seeing what's next. For games like Zelda, it can be used as a dungeon map and inventory.

I'm not sure how it could benefit a game like Wii Sports, but for New Super Mario Bros. it could provide a nice close-up on your area of the screen, without stretching and expanding to accommodate all of the other players. This way, people wouldn't die after getting "lost" off the screen.

Exuro said:
What's almost as interesting as the rumours themselves right now are the topics not being addressed by the speculation. For example, how much RAM does Project Cafe have? With the 3DS packing 512MB, we would expect more: at least 1GB. And what about onboard storage: iOS-style flash RAM, SD card support or onboard HDD? Assuming an optical drive, is it DVD or Blu-ray based? Can movies be streamed across to the controllers too?

When did this happen?
nintendo have been breaking into our houses at night and upgrading the ram in our 3dses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom