• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
skygt19 said:
I wasn't trying to make fun of you, I was being serious. I really do like the portability and mutliplayer screen idea. That's why I bought a PSP to watch UMD movies, and surf the web on my phone with my computer next to me playing music.

I also bought two iPhones and an iPad so my friends and I can play Scrabble
ipad-scrabble.jpg
iphone-magic-the-gathering-1.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hylian7 said:
Wiimote = $40
Nunchuk = $20
Classic Controller = $20

$40 + $20 = $60

Either way it's $60. I would not be surprised to see a controller for more than $50. Just look at the PS3 controllers.....
Except that you don't need the Classic Controller and that the Wii Remote is a stand-alone controller itself.
It's $40. No way it'll be more than $50, which would factor in more than what a single touch 6" screen goes for anyway, especially when bought in bulks. Having $70 "mandatory" primary controllers would make them get much slack from the press and also make 'em look too fucking expensive to bother with in the eyes of Average Joe.

StevieP

Banned
Looking at that mockup... eugh.

No pointer, no sale. Backwards compatibility with Wiimotes means nothing when devs won't make games for that. Not to mention having a screen in the controller means they can't be tossed around and this device will be a failure for parents with young kids.

Bentendo

skygt19 said:
I wasn't trying to make fun of you, I was being serious. I really do like the portability and mutliplayer screen idea. That's why I bought a PSP to watch UMD movies, and surf the web on my phone with my computer next to me playing music.

Please say you didn't actually do that :|

Luckyman

Banned
carlo6529 said:
I mean, the system is launching a year from now and 360 tech is already cheaper then 199.99. PS3 tech will be 199.99 by then, making a nice profit. If Nintendo comes in at 299.99-349.99 a year from now, do you honestly believe it won't be noticeably stronger then a ps3 let alone, a 360?

Nintendo likes to make at least $100 or more per box. Even a $299 box should destroy a 360 but never be sure

Interfectum said:
This directly competes with 3DS time at home as well as iPad / smartphone time.

This all gets down to the weird borders people draw on what is and is not competing, though. Project Cafe, TV, traditional home consoles, websurfing, mobile phone games, playing beer pong -- all this stuff competes with "playing 3DS at home" because they're all things you can do to entertain yourself while you're at home. The only "advantage" the 3DS had in the first place in this competition (besides whatever unique software it has) is that you can pocket it and play it outside of your house, and Cafe doesn't bring that to the table.

The majority of hardcore gamers today were not alive or cognizant of video games when the NES was out. :p

Nintendo doesn't want older GAF, it wants the 21 year old with more money than sense.

1-D_FTW

ShockingAlberto said:
...this still sounds like sarcasm.

Me too. Maybe more condescension than sarcasm. And it still ignores the original point. I've called this thing the Frankenstick from day one. I just think there are some very good uses for it and Nintendo isn't stupid enough to make you not focus on the HDTV unless it's enhancing the experience.

Pyrokai said:
Ah, okay. Thanks guys :) . Let's hope Cafe can do this. Reasonably speaking, is it outside of the realm of possibility based on the R700 rumors?

Nothing on R700 series can do Samaritan, biggest chips on that series are about one billion transistors, single GTX 580 is about 3 billion. So even if can be done on one 580 it's still tree times more raw power. Also Samaritan is a technology demo, getting similar stuff on actual gameplay is far harder.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Fixed for emphasis.

At this point, nothing would surprise me. If Nintendo is launching at $350-$400 that says absolutely nothing about the actual capabilities of the machine. I'm still amazed that the 4870 that I bought last year, which cost $99 US dollars and will be 4 years old by the time Nintendo's console launches, might outperform the GPU in the Cafe.

Exactly.

No matter how many variables we have to work on, nothing will shake the 'Nintendo' variable, which equates to "could be fucking anything and any price".

Whatever the specs are in the dev kits, and whatever the specs actually turn out to be, I fully expect the E3 demos to be visually so-so, and nothing that will surpass what is already being done on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Interfectum

charlequin said:
This all gets down to the weird borders people draw on what is and is not competing, though. Project Cafe, TV, traditional home consoles, websurfing, mobile phone games, playing beer pong -- all this stuff competes with "playing 3DS at home" because they're all things you can do to entertain yourself while you're at home. The only "advantage" the 3DS had in the first place in this competition (besides whatever unique software it has) is that you can pocket it and play it outside of your house, and Cafe doesn't bring that to the table.

While I agree with what you are saying, I think two Nintendo handheld devices in the same house is a bit closer than home consoles and beer pong.

All of this information sounds very bizarre so far and I'm guessing there is a missing piece that'll make more sense to me once they formally show it at E3. As of right now, the idea of "streaming a game to a handheld device you carry around your house" sounds exactly like what a 3DS, PSP, DS, etc already do. That's not a big selling point, IMO.

taylorkerns

Neo Member
I'm imagining a FPS with action on the big screen that spectators can enjoy, and each player's controller serving as their main screen. Multiplayer handled this way also opens up the possibility for more than four players locally without multiple consoles and TVs. I'm sure most games will also include traditional splitscreen as well.

A game mode in which the leader uses the TV and the rest play on their controllers, maybe?

Haint

First Children said:
Also the error with the C/TM marks, but i agree, it's not that strong as a proof. It doesn't make it look more real either.

The Wii was 4 year old technology when it was out, the x360 next year will be 7 years old, and will cost to produce what? 150$?
If it's 350$ and as big as that it HAS to be way more powerful

This is a good point. Releasing a near 360 equivalent in 2012 is actually more regressive than the Wii was in 2006. Doing so at the same (or a more expensive) price is just bananas.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Interfectum said:
I think a lot of people would disagree.

This directly competes with 3DS time at home as well as iPad / smartphone time. Add an NGP to the mix and you potentially have a bunch of redundant handheld gaming devices sitting at home, including possibly two from Nintendo? That doesn't make sense.

There has to be more to the controller besides simple mimicing a handheld on LAN. I suspect we'll see a lot of "Buzztime Trivia" type applications for families to use. The touch screens are for your secret answers where as the mainscreen shows the public game information.

To be fair, any home system technically "competes" with 3DS / iPAD / portable time. This is and has been a non-issue for Nintendo, and if it was, I can imagine building some sort of tethering device to connect all of them would be somewhat prudent (if not historically good business practice).

Hiro

Banned
Absolute Bastard said:
Nothing on R700 series can do Samaritan, biggest chips on that series are about one billion transistors, single GTX 580 is about 3 billion. So even if can be done on one 580 it's still tree times more raw power. Also Samaritan is a technology demo, getting similar stuff on actual gameplay is far harder.

Sounds pretty definively like Project Samaritan on Project Cafe is a pipedream.

Hiro

Banned
A.KU.MU said:
1. Odd reflections
2. Odd shadows
3. The LED light is illuminated even though it’s not plugged in (see previous images)

Fake.

On point 3, the unit was battery powered for presentation purposes so they wouldn't need to find a plug and have to keep it near the plug while showing it off internally. Simple as that. As to points 1 and 2, some people see that, some don't.

Red UFO

skygt19 said:

ipad-scrabble.jpg

This must be a joke post. Why would you not just buy the Scrabble board game..?

I think the strategy of Nintendo that a lot of people are missing here is brilliant. Nintendo just completely turns generational conventions on their head.

Nintendo doesn't care about generations. Some could say that this console is actually their first current gen console, and that the Wii is last gen. How crazy would it be if in 3 yeas (when the Xbox 1080 and PS4 launch), that Nintendo would sell 80 million of these consoles... in other words, they would outsell the installed bases of 360 and PS3!

Not saying it would happen, but how funny would that be. Then in 2015 they just do it all over again, release a console more powerful than Xbox 1080 and PS4 and just do it all over again.

Hiro

Banned
Red UFO said:
This must be a joke post. Why would you not just buy the Scrabble board game..?

Because electronic and digital is the future, brah.

I could ask why anyone would not just buy a book instead of reading on Kindle or Nook or some other such device, but some people prefer the latter, if nothing else for convenience.

A.KU.MU said:
1. Odd reflections
2. Odd shadows
3. The LED light is illuminated even though it’s not plugged in (see previous images)

Fake.
I can see odd reflections and odd shadows even in the room i'm in now. That said, i think it's a mockup but i wouldn't be surprised if in the end it comes out those are internal Nintendo images to show the final design without the cables.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Arpharmd B said:
I think not launching in 2011 is a mistake.

If they had 1 great Nintendo exclusive to launch with, in say November, and the definitive versions of this years multiplatform heavy hitters (Skyrim, Modern Warefare 3, Dark Souls to name a few).

Nintendo needs to just straight up pull an Apple and get this thing out asap.

I'd be lying if I didn't just want this console as a stop gap to hold me over until Xbox 1080... but hey, if they launch this year that gives them a full 2 to 3 year headstart on the competition. In fact, they could actually just release a Wii 3 2 years after the 1080 and PS4 lol.

Yeah hi this is reality calling. Nothing about what you're talking about is "pulling an apple."

skygt19 said:

ipad-scrabble.jpg
What the fuck, man, seriously. Did you know that they recently released a physical edition of scrabble? I hear it's all the rage

FoxSpirit

Interfectum said:
The XBLA port looks and plays just fine. No need for dual screens.

If you go to a high enough resolution, you can of course always go splitscreen.
In that sense, there is NEVER a need for dual screens, you can just split 1 screen in half.

But imagine Clash of Heroes on the GBA.. Woukld only be possible with a second screen.

skygt19

Neo Member
Please say you didn't actually do that :|

Of course I did. The possibilities are endless. Think local multi-player. Don't you think it's great for Scrabble? You'd really rather everyone see what letters you have on your iPad? This is much better - and the iPad could act as gameboard/highlight broadcaster. Now get more creative. A party game where one person is performing an action on the iPad and the other players are using their iPhones to set traps on the unsuspecting player on the iPad. The screen itself is a great idea. Plus, even in single-player, map/inventory/social networking all on the touch screen is a big plus when you have two screens.

Hiro

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
What the fuck, man, seriously. Did you know that they recently released a physical edition of scrabble? I hear it's all the rage

I guess that was your reaction to Kindle and Nook too, huh.

Interfectum

skygt19 said:
Of course I did. The possibilities are endless. Think local multi-player. Don't you think it's great for Scrabble? You'd really rather everyone see what letters you have on your iPad? This is much better - and the iPad could act as gameboard/highlight broadcaster. Now get more creative. A party game where one person is performing an action on the iPad and the other players are using their iPhones to set traps on the unsuspecting player on the iPad. The screen itself is a great idea. Plus, even in single-player, map/inventory/social networking all on the touch screen is a big plus when you have two screens.

While you are absolutely batshit insane for buying all that iOS tech just for fucking Scrabble and the like, the idea you have in bold is what I would expect some Nintendo Cafe games to be like. If that were to happen, consider me on-board.

Haint

Arpharmd B said:
I think not launching in 2011 is a mistake.

If they had 1 great Nintendo exclusive to launch with, in say November, and the definitive versions of this years multiplatform heavy hitters (Skyrim, Modern Warefare 3, Dark Souls to name a few).

Nintendo needs to just straight up pull an Apple and get this thing out asap.

I'd be lying if I didn't just want this console as a stop gap to hold me over until Xbox 1080... but hey, if they launch this year that gives them a full 2 to 3 year headstart on the competition. In fact, they could actually just release a Wii 3 2 years after the 1080 and PS4 lol.

This is just silly. Break down this mental barrier you've apparently set up for yourself and just buy or build a mid range PC. Functionally, they are indistinguishable from a console in-game thanks to prevalent native 360 pad support.

zoukka

Hiro said:
Because electronic and digital is the future, brah.

I could ask why anyone would not just buy a book instead of reading on Kindle or Nook or some other such device, but some people prefer the latter, if nothing else for convenience.

Still doesn't make any sense :)

skygt19

Neo Member
While you are absolutely batshit insane for buying all that iOS tech just for fucking Scrabble and the like, the idea you have in bold is what I would expect some Nintendo Cafe games to be like. If that were to happen, consider me on-board.

Exactly, glad you agree ^^ Like I always say, you can't have fun unless you are spending hundreds of dollars on extra peripherals.

Reallink said:
This is just silly. Break down this mental barrier you've apparently set up for yourself and just buy or build a mid range PC. Functionally, they are indistinguishable from a console in-game thanks to prevalent native 360 pad support.

Dark Souls is not releasing on PC.

Why build a gaming PC when it does not have the games I want to play? If I invest 400$ in a console, I will want to enjoy Nintendo exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom