• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiro

Banned
zoukka said:
Still doesn't make any sense :)

It may not make sense to you, but it appeals to others. Sorry its existence offends you, but tbh everyone is offended by everything. I'm offended that it doesn't make sense to you and vice versa. Cycle of life, brah.

Fernando Rocker said:
No... the name should be Nintendo HD™ and Famicom HD™ in Japan, with a similar form factor as the classic NES.
Those names are horrible and are not going to happen. HD is simply not a selling point to the masses, let alone to this system with it's crazy-ass controller.

Hiro

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
So no developer impressions?

The rumors are allegedly from developers and publishers. So as to the details, all we have are developer/publisher impressions and/or people making shit up.

Edit: Oops, 'reactions' to 'impressions'.

carlo6529

Luckyman said:
Nintendo likes to make at least $100 or more per box. Even a $299 box should destroy a 360 but never be sure

I'm glad someone saw my post.

There is no way Nintendo makes 100$ profit per console sold though. I found a quote from a analysist on what Nintendo was making profit at the launch of the Wii:

David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Securities, says that Nintendo earns $6 of operating profit with each sale.

They should be able to sell a console for profit on launch with specs closer to a ps3.5 easily, even with a game bundled along with the system and controller with a price margin between 299.99 to 349.99$.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SlipperySlope said:

No nothing from anybody other than 'sources' stating a bunch of hardware features to IGN and co.

In terms of flat out confirmed news and direct statements we have Nintendo's "Wii 2 exists, it will be playable at E3 2011, and we will release it in 2012", and the "Project Cafe" codename confirmed correct from Nintendo's developer site. That's it. Everything else, from the controller to the hardware, is speculation and leaks from mysterious sources.

brochiller said:
Nintendo has specifically stated that this next console will be a "system to succeed Wii." NPR is giving people the wrong idea with statements like that.
We hear wording like that sometimes when non-game sources report on gaming developments. Might hear Halo Reach referred to as "The latest version of the popular Halo game." or whatever.

birdchili

so i'll bet there's a controller-plus-game bundle available for this thing day one. 90% of the actually compelling ideas that come to mind with a controller like this require multiple controllers.

of course... there were a lot of things that i thought would be made with the pointer too...

Jarlaxle

I keep thinking about the connectivity of the GBA/GC with games like LoZ: Four Swords, or FF: Crystal Chronicles. Now you wouldn't need to have the cables and four GBA's. You'd just need your controller and when you go inside a house or something you look down to the controller, etc.

Sounds pretty cool to me.

cacildo

StevieP said:
Looking at that mockup... eugh.

No pointer, no sale. Backwards compatibility with Wiimotes means nothing when devs won't make games for that. Not to mention having a screen in the controller means they can't be tossed around and this device will be a failure for parents with young kids.

Thank you!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DigitalFoundry_article said:
What's almost as interesting as the rumours themselves right now are the topics not being addressed by the speculation. For example, how much RAM does Project Cafe have? With the 3DS packing 512MB, we would expect more: at least 1GB.
tl;dr: we can't be bothered to tell MB from Mb. We are Digital Foundry.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
SlipperySlope said:

Here:

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata unveiled the company's refreshingly original and slightly scary new Project Cafe controller, and likewise stated the philosophy behind it.

"Every gamer who plays. Every one who used to play. Even those who have yet to play. Nintendo is your bet."

The Cafe input mechanism, which is as far from a conventional controller as could be possible, more resembles a tablet with a touch of Apple style. The white, glossy device interacts with motion sensors on television to enable players unexplored full 3D freedom of movement in games and that without a television.

"The screen, the feeling is so natural and real, as soon as players use the controller, their minds will spin with the possibilities of how this will change gaming as we know it today," explains Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president. "This is an extremely exciting innovation - one that will thrill current players and entice new ones."

"Nintendo has long been a trailblazer, and this controller design reinforces that reputation," said Brian Farrell, president and CEO of THQ. "We enthusiastically support Nintendo's next console because we believe their approach of continual innovation is very much in line with our own strategy of creating unique and innovative games for the next generation of hardware."

"What we're seeing from this controller is the same thing we saw with Nintendo 3DS," said Chuck Huebner, Head of Worldwide Studios, Activision.. "It's a system that's designed with an eye on enticing new players to the video game industry, and that's something we firmly support."

"Game control is essential - it's the area where perhaps the most game-play improvement can be made," said John Schappert, Sr. Vice President and General Manager of Electronic Arts Canada. "While our portfolio represents a full array of titles across all genres, I think our sports titles might be the first to immediately take advantage of what this type of control has to offer."

"We were among the first publishers to see the control design in action," said Serge Hascoet, Chief Creative Officer of Ubisoft. "We're excited about the new controller and are looking forward to taking advantage of its innovative aspects."

Link.

zoukka

Hiro said:
It may not make sense to you, but it appeals to others. Sorry its existence offends you, but tbh everyone is offended by everything. I'm offended that it doesn't make sense to you and vice versa. Cycle of life, brah.

I have a smartphone. But to buy several of these overpriced pieces of plastic to just lie around waiting for friends to come over and play scrabble is just... so wrong. These things aren't durable, easily stored and drain batteries fast. Also Scrabble is better in its original form and your toilet is probably made of gold.

Duffyside

Banned
Not to be too cynical, but couldn't "playable at E3" just mean that Miyamoto is going to play it on stage for 10 minutes, instead of just showing trailers? It doesn't necessarily mean it will be on the floor for people to play, does it?

I guess what I'm asking is "shipped not sold?"

Hixx

brochiller said:
Wtf?

The link is completely different from the text.

THATSTHEJOKE.jpg

joedick

I doubt a game will be packed in. I expect there will be some smaller games on the system that show off the controller, like 3DS did.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
PushTheButtonMax said:
Is this ban worthy? Because I read the first sentence and got excited, lol.
Don't think so, for my own sake!

Just watch this upcoming E3. The third parties dialogue will be the same as when the Wii was revealed!

Hiro

Banned
duffyside said:
Not to be too cynical, but couldn't "playable at E3" just mean that Miyamoto is going to play it on stage for 10 minutes, instead of just showing trailers? It doesn't necessarily mean it will be on the floor for people to play, does it?"

It does mean people will be able to play it, yeah.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
joedick said:
I doubt a game will be packed in. I expect there will be some smaller games on the system that show off the controller, like 3DS did.

Let's talk about the last time Nintendo didn't pack a game (or set of games) in with a home console.

PushTheButtonMax said:
Is this ban worthy?

people need to calm down / lighten up! News is slow on this thing, speculation high, the thread is gonna sustain itself somehow

Hopefully we hear something interesting tomorrow... is there still an investor call tomorrow or has all the news we're gonna get already come out today? The event should be 8am British Summer Time tomorrow if its still going ahead...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
duffyside said:
Not to be too cynical, but couldn't "playable at E3" just mean that Miyamoto is going to play it on stage for 10 minutes, instead of just showing trailers? It doesn't necessarily mean it will be on the floor for people to play, does it?

I guess what I'm asking is "shipped not sold?"

It could mean that, but that's not what it typically means to the gaming press, which is the target of that media release. "Playable" doesn't mean "working," it means "we will have kiosks from which you can play."

What you and basically everyone who has asked the same question are referring to is called a "demo," which is a machine behind a large hunk of plastic, running mostly-looping software.

If in fact they meant the latter but said the former, then it's a departure from accepted lingo and inappropriate audience expectation management.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vic said:
But I'm a WORTHLESS sacrificial prospect. Don't ban me :(

If EatChildren wasn't banned for rickrolling us in this thread then you shouldn't be either.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yeah seeing that article and fucking puff-piece (thanks Ubi, thanks PR!) makes me want to punch a goddamn plumber. I mean, this audience is susceptible to hype enough as it is. Why make unfulfillable promises?

edit: yes, I realize my last question was answered by the sentence immediately preceding.

Xristot

I kind of liked the Wii Hi-Fi name rumor that was floating around a while ago. Though I could see the Wii name carrying some kind of stigma with the core crowd if Nintendo really is going for them.

Emitan

Psi said:
I am aware of that. I'm trying to understand their reasoning, if there is any. Also sarcasm, etc.
Well, it's a codename. Was Nintendo trying to appeal to marine biologists when the Gamecube was codenamed Dolphin?

DOPing

I'm sure this was beaten to death in the first thread, but could someone kind enough tell me what was the consensus -- why would nintendo go back to dual analog after waggle proved to be so successful?

Also, I can only see using touchscreen instead of a mouse pointer (similar to how you play shooters on the DS), since you obviously cannot look at both the controller screen and TV, as you could on the DS, dut to the difference in size and distance.

Lesiroth

[Nintex] said:
Microsoft will start the 'Xbox Next' viral this E3.
Microsoft unveils Xbox 720 at X12 in February 2012
Nintendo will actually launch the Cafe... at E3 2012 with some rushed launch titles and shoddy ports
Don Mattrick walks on stage, says "$299"

Black hole appears
Earth collapses with Saturn
Why would Microsoft kill off Kinect and 360 this early, when it has been doing very well for them lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom