• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zenith said:
So is the huge "twist" is that the controller screen is the primary output and that most games won't use the tv at all?

That would have to be very unlikely, but at this point anything is possible. Unlike the 3DS we don't have a confirmed angle of what the system is yet, so it's not all hanging together right.

Basically have 4 options what the focus of this controller is, assuming the screen is in it:

1) Game streaming
2) Content streaming
3) DS style use of the screen
4) Mystery option

Game streaming is the most difficult, and the one that could render the television unnecessary, but IGN did just revert back to content streaming when referring to it.

Ugh, need more from Nintendo.

Shiggy

Technosteve said:
no one trolled trademark office for nintendo registrations?

Last three things they trademarked:

getMarkAttachment

getMarkAttachment

and "Mii Plaza".

OMG Aero

So is it basically confirmed at this point that the controllers will have screens on them? Extra controllers already cost way too much, I dread to think what they will charge for ones with screens.

An-Det

This is exciting. While I'm taking some of the details well salted, the prospect of a new console will make this an interesting E3 now that we're pretty much confirmed.

Sadist

With the console playable at E3, I'm curious about the software there. Obviously Nintendo will have a title or two showing what the thing's capable off. On 3rd party stuff... I'm expecting a 3DS like situation. Partial list of developers/publishers and some key franchises.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
OMG Aero said:
So is it basically confirmed at this point that the controllers will have screens on them? Extra controllers already cost way too much, I dread to think what they will charge for ones with screens.
Maybe they'll have a "HUD" controller, like the Wiimote, and then the optional controllers attach to them, so it saves costs...

wwm0nkey

OMG Aero said:
probably not too much more considering its not like buying a phone or handheld, its just buying the screen.

swerve

Andrex said:
I am kind of pining for HD at this point, having never owned an HD console yet.

Hirai: "The HD Generation starts when Andrex and Nintendo says so"

I'm pretty excited about the idea of games being made for play on the controller, games being made in HD for the TV, games with sub-games made for the controller, games with private-data streamed to the controller, Wii-Channel like services streamed to the controller in standby mode...

Interesting that from June onwards, many developers will be able to talk about making Cafe games alongside their other versions - Nintendo will potentially have the *premium* version of many games coming out in 2012, and these will be trailed for months before hand.

Sadist said:
With the console playable at E3, I'm curious about the software there. Obviously Nintendo will have a title or two showing what the thing's capable off. On 3rd party stuff... I'm expecting a 3DS like situation. Partial list of developers/publishers and some key franchises.
Didn't the 3DS reveal have a number of third party trailers?

I remember Revelations and MGS3 specifically.

ShockingAlberto said:

The E3 3DS list had everything you could imagine in terms of games. But not many of them were actually shown at the show.

genjiZERO

Hiro said:
If, let's say, the Project Cafe is sold for $399.99 per system. It won't be released until June 2012. Okay, that leaves you with more than a year to save up $400 for the system if your determined to buy it at launch. If you can't afford it at launch, then just buy it when you can, if you still want it, even if it is 6 months after its release or 2 years after its release or what have you.

And buying a console for several hundred dollars is still preferable to buying a gaming PC for several thousand dollars or tens of thousands of dollars.

that's true, but I use my computer every single day for hours and hours. Also I can use my computer off the bat, and don't have to pay extra (games and peripherals). So a console isn't just 400, it's 400 plus whatever I need to multiple people can play it and 60 (70 in the next gen?) per game (I don't use my computer for gaming). Also add in that since there isn't a unified platform so if you want the "unique" experience Nintendo, Sony and MS offer you have to do that three times. And for what? Hi definition Tamagotchis and yet more FPSs?

Woffls

Sadist said:
We can pretty much just assume it will be similar to 3DS last year, right? Lots of logos and trailers, and some gameplay here and there from 3rd parties; that's how I remember it anyway. I think we'll get a lot more content from Nintendo than people are expecting, and something that will stand out well above the rest.

Sadist

ShockingAlberto said:

True.

But if Project Cafe will have some trailers, I'd imagine those will be titles which won't appear until mid 2012.

eso76

i thought it was obvious Cafe wouldn't be connected to a tv ?

At the same time, if that's the case (and i believe it is) i fail to see what makes it different from a handheld. A short ranged handheld.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I would not be surprised if the controller was the primary method of display. It would be a creative way to avoid the split between SD and HD TV owners, which Nintendo seemed to express concern when asked why Wii wasn't HD capable. Creating a system capable of running games at max Crysis levels is much easier when lower resolutions are involved. It's why the 3DS can have almost Wii level graphics even though some of its specs may not be as good as the Wii's.

If this is indeed to case, then my only concern would be that it would require a major paradigm shift of what console gaming is. 6" is not very large, though it does dwarf handheld systems' screens. I believe I could adjust, but other people might not take to the idea well.

Whatever Nintendo decides to do, whether the controller will be the main screen or not, I hope they get the streaming perfect in order to not have the game lag at decent distances away from the consoles.

Hopefully they actually have titles to promise/show and not just a montage of developers talking about the unique advancement the system brings and how excited they are to work with it. That usually means they don't work with it :p

I'm pretty sure Kojima was on a Wii one.

eso76 said:

At the same time, if that's the case (and i believe it is) i fail to see what makes it different from a handheld. A short ranged handheld.
What

I would not be surprised if the controller was the primary method of display.

What

You people are coming up with some fanciful shit.

Woffls

eso76 said:

It's not the case.

I mean... seriously? Do people actually think this?

thefro

Something else potentially intriguing about the controller is that maybe you could stream videos/music/small apps/games/surf the internet/read books/etc while someone else is gaming on the big TV. Maybe it could encode what's coming through your cable and stream it to the controller so your wife can watch TV on the controller while you play a game.

Potentially it's a thinclient IPod Touch. Could be an uncharacteristically aggressive move into the media space for Nintendo if they play it that way.

KevinCow

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
This CNN story is a gem: http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/25/technology/nintendo_wii/index.htm?hpt=T2

It's a mainstream outlet though, so what can you expect?

Had a good chuckle at the first line.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The Wii, once the cutting edge of video game technology, is headed the way of the Atari 2600 and the Sega Genesis.

Because a console getting a successor 5+ years after release is a rare occurrence that has only happened two other times in the history of the video game industry.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It is a bit strange they haven't given the angle of the system, and it's something you obviously have to play or shown how it plays to understand. I mean the 3DS you have to play it to experience the 3D, but you can communicate the appeal of glasses-less 3D. Wii Sports you understood it's appeal when you played it, but it was easy to communicate the benefits of motion control.

This press-release reads like "We didn't want to have to tell you anything, but here you go. Just we aren't going to tell you what we're up to so you don't flip the fuck out"

This is going to be an odd system.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cjelly said:
So he says...

- if it's as powerful as PS3/360 it'll just be Dreamcast 2.
- if it's more powerful than PS3/360, devs won't support it as the may have to create separate versions for the Wii 2.

So, basically, he's saying Nintendo are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. OK.

Who has ever cared what Pachter said? He's lost all credibility since like midway through this generation. Hell most pertinent to this thread, he was utterly dead wrong about WiiHD.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cjelly said:
So he says...

- if it's as powerful as PS3/360 it'll just be Dreamcast 2.
- if it's more powerful than PS3/360, devs won't support it as the may have to create separate versions for the Wii 2.

So, basically, he's saying Nintendo are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. OK.

Right. Since Nintendo did not release it during the Pachter approved time period, it is destined to fail.

Sadist

Graphics Horse said:
Revelations and MGS3 involve waiting longer than that since last E3.
Hehe

ShockingAlberto said:
So Ono said that SSFIV 3DS would connect to a console and we'd find out more at E3.

SFxTekken for Cafe?

Cafe only: Super Street Fighter IV AE Disc Release

mj1108

Andrex said:
Who has ever cared what Pachter said? He's lost all credibility since like midway through this generation. Hell most pertinent to this thread, he was utterly dead wrong about WiiHD.

Pachter is a moron. Take absolutely anything and everything he says with a grain of salt. Can't believe companies/people actually pay attention to what he says.

Woffls

Cow Mengde said:
At this point, I don't even know which Cafe thread I'm in anymore.
This is the 3rd one, and I'm fairly sure the other two are done now. Hopefully it should last a couple of weeks if developers and publishers keep relatively quiet. If it's anything like last week, then we'll be moving on by this time next week.

The discussion is pretty much identical, though, given that Nintendo said close to sod all today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom