• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
antonz said:
4-5x the power of current HD consoles is not enough to alot of people even around here.

I don't think a lot of people even understand what 4-5x the power means. When the 360 was first unveiled, they said it was 16x the power of the original, but what does it mean? The 360 doesn't have 16x anything over the original Xbox. It's really just media hype. I think the PS3 was said to be 32x the power of the PS2, and again, I have no idea how they came up with this number.

ant1532

Banned
From The Dust said:
posted?

remember the leaked console? well now it's in white and plugged in!

project-cafe-leak-600x399.jpg

someone is really going the length. or are they?

http://wii2blog.com/another-leaked-image-of-project-cafe/
that thing is either bigger than a 360 or they're moving back to inferior smaller disc size.

so fake

poppabk said:
People have it stuck in their heads that friend codes are ridiculously stupid and terrible, and that every Wii game requires you to input a friend code for everyone you will ever play against online.
If you could create multiple friend codes for your system and you could use as many letters or number as you wanted in each friend code, people would still be complaining.
Right. It's pretty much just the fact that it's called a "friend code" at this point that has anyone's panties in a bunch.

The 3DS's friend code system is not bothersome in the least. It's a quality, modern, usable setup that will almost certainly get better as updates occur.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
white is like apple products.

that is an aesthetic that i can get into. i just hope my tight fitting cardigan doesn't impede my game movements.

maxmars said:
They need to become really good at publishing content, though -- they can't afford droughts in any of the media they choose to publish, or the system will sink.

Basically they need to one up Apple with their iTunes strategy, and I somehow doubt they can pull it off, but I'd sure love them to prove me wrong. They will probably need to be much more open with regards to indie developers / artists so that they can have a stream of content, and that alone would be a first for Nintendo.

I think people are underestimating Nintendo in this regard. They've been working on streaming media since at least the Satellaview for the Super Famicom and already have a variety of different media and other services on offer on the Wii thoughout the world (such as the Everyone's Theater Channel, Wii no Ma, Demae Channel, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, News, The Nintendo Channel, etc.) Them branching out and adding services like Pandora Radio, Hulu, or a virtual newsstand type channel that sells ".PDF" copies of their official company organs along with comics and magazines to the content they already have isn't beyond imagining, especially since the material is suited to their rumored unique controller concept. Getting into bed with such companies could be what Iwata was referring to when he talked about making alliances.

Kenka

Jade Knight 08 said:

Ewwww.... camel toe on my console. Do not want! :p

This thing is probably not taller than 10 inches and wider than 2... and it has a mini-DVD eater, wtf ?

This is half the size of a SNES at best. Fuck, it's smaller than a Wii. Look at the cable !

Deku

Banned
Kenka said:
This thing is probably not taller than 10 inches and wider than 2... and it has a mini-DVD eater, wtf ?

This is half the size of a SNES at best. Fuck, it's smaller than a Wii. Look at the cable !

And why is it on the floor in a residential home.

The black fake was obviously made for the grainy overhead projection 'fake leak' and it looked horrid with a decently lit photograph.

Also note the Nintendo logo has gone from large and fugly to smaller and less ugly

bidaum

Fernando Rocker said:
OK... I think this would be more comfortable to hold than my previous design... what do you guys think?

H8qcE.png
Even if you ignore the screen completely the buttons are too cramped at the bottom.

Andrex said:
OK now this is my favorite. Hrm, maybe if it had the CC Pro handles and triggers.
IF it does have a screen. I reckon this with the CC Pro handles will be where it's at.
Remember Kids with tiny freaking hands have gotta be able to play this stuff

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Fernando Rocker said:
OK... I think this would be more comfortable to hold than my previous design... what do you guys think?

MGhttp://i.imgur.com/H8qcE.pngMG
Buttons are too low, would make the thing too top heavy to hold comfortably.

Aeonin

mj1108 said:
We really should have a collection of all the fake pics in the OP and a ban warning to anyone who posts them trying to pass them off as real.

Please someone do this - I've been looking for this one "photo" that has the controller being white, set on a table, with a person taking a picture from above it. You can see him in the "reflection" on the screen. Its my favorite mock-up/rumored device. Now I can't find it anywhere!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I dunno man, I guess I just don't like seeing such a small amount of space for the buttons and such a big screen. Unless they're using some kind of space age tech, it would probably be very top heavy and uncomfortable to hold in lengthier sessions. The screen is a cool idea but I wouldn't want the actual controller to suffer for it.

The CC + screen mock-up is the closest I've seen to what I want.

Also, I swear I used to have an air purifier that looked just like that fake Cafe.

I'm warming up to the name "Cafe" for the console and "Stream" labeling on the controller.

Nice mockup on the classic controller. That two buttons next to shoulder buttons looks like it's hard to reach unless it's really a small controller that will fit in your entire hands.

Jade Knight 08 said:

Ewwww.... camel toe on my console. Do not want! :p
While this is obviously fake, I think if there were any pics these would be of dev kits and that the design would more than likely change by the final release date which is at least a year from now.

bidaum

AlexMeloche said:
Well, if you make the bottom part removable, it almost look like a Wiimote... :p
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure even a sideways wiimote has more distance from buttons to edge, let alone throwing in more buttons and dual analogues.

Fernando Rocker said:

http://i.imgur.com/H8qcE.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

much better. of course there is a size issue

for reference, I took some measurements on my Classic (I don't know if the Pro has any size differences).

octagonal gate - 1.75"
analogue stick - 9/16"
D-pad - 14/16 (7/8")
(end of) Y to (end of) A (horizontal) - 1 6/16 (1 3/8")
(end of) X to (end of) B (vertical) - 1 3/16"

Lord_Byron28 said:
While this is obviously fake, I think if there were any pics these would be of dev kits and that the design would more than likely change by the final release date which is at least a year from now.

Oh, i know it's fake. I really like the curve on the top of the console but that disc-slot placement doesn't look cool to me. Maybe it's just me though.

I am remaining very sceptical with those controller rumors. It is a very dangerous path of Nintendo to go back to a more classic approach with this input device. This is no expanded audience concept anymore and I am not really convinced that nintendo is able to go back to the old red ocean and compete sucessfully.

Even if the Wii-Mote is fully compatible, the fact that is won't be part of package means that it is no standard and will just be a "possible" feature. I am failing to see relevance for a classic controller with a screen which is probably cannibalizing their new handheld device to some extend.

Interesting to see that most of GAF seems to be fine with this and does not see the big risk nintendo is taking here.

Mithos

jacksrb said:
I still like this one the best from Kotaku(comfy like the Cube controller plus the screen)
T2Vsy.jpg
I'm pretty sure 3rd party developers that want to make games that works with PS360 and Wii2 would like it best also, as long as it has enough buttons as the PS360 controllers.

ksamedi

Frencherman said:
I am remaining very sceptical with those controller rumors. It is a very dangerous path of Nintendo to go back to a more classic approach with this input device. This is no expanded audience concept anymore and I am not really convinced that nintendo is able to go back to the old red ocean and compete sucessfully.

Even if the Wii-Mote is fully compatible, the fact that is won't be part of package means that it is no standard and will just be a "possible" feature. I am failing to see relevance for a classic controller with a screen which is probably cannibalizing their new handheld device to some extend.

Interesting to see that most of GAF seems to be fine with this and does not see the big risk nintendo is taking here.

What if they pack in an advanced wiimote?

MYE

I exagerated the size of some of the elements of my second shop so as requested:

-slightly bigger screen
-smaller camera
-smaller face buttons. Position tewaked
-much smaller D-pad. Position tweaked
-smaller home/stream/power
-shit logo removed :p

I had to do this in MSPaint so some of the re-touched elements might look a bit distorted

5jT6K.png

Didnt see this posted so here's an um, interesting mockup i found at Kotaku.

xlarge_mohammed-abdullah.jpg

Dunno why it has a cord though. Foreboding short battery life issues? lol
And pardon my ignorance but what the hell is a 'haptic button'?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Frencherman said:

Not seeing the "big risk." If anything, going back to a traditional-esque controller scheme will do much more for them when it comes to getting back gamers they lost this generation.

Frencherman said:

for all we know they could have an updated Cafemote that is packed in with each console along with this remote annnnnnnnnnnnddddd you must have been blind to this thread and the last. At least [significant number pulled out of my ass]% of GAF have expressed distress and/or stated the risk of forsaking motion controls/ the wii remote design.Most i guess have moved passed it/adopted a wait and see attitude by now.

Ashodin

MYE said:
And pardon my ignorance but what the hell is a 'haptic button'?
haptics is when you press on a part of a screen and instead of a "click" button feel to it, you feel a vibration letting you know you pressed the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom