• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

VerTiGo said:
Maybe if he's just talking about U.S. gamers. But the dollar is taking a dive so maybe the demographic will start dropping a few pounds. REALTALK. HAAA
then it would have been faster to just type, 'the average gamer in america is a 35 year-old american'

VerTiGo

Banned
M74 said:
Is completely unwanted in the console arena. Relegate the nubs to handhelds where they're form is a product of necessity and function, and keep them there.

It's not attractive to have something that resembles a tablet to have one inch analog sticks protruding outward, they could still improve the design and tech. I'm not clamoring for slide pads. That's if the Project Cafe controller represents a tablet pc at all.

VerTiGo

Banned
nincompoop said:
Whoever it was, they'd be wrong since Sega and NEC beat them to the punch like 20 years ago.

Yea, fully aware of that. But it's not the same device. I know iPad's do it as well to stream to TV sets but ... you know... good games.

VerTiGo said:
There's no way it won't be. The question is if it will mimick the emulation and wonder of Dolphin.

If it could actually upscale it like Dolphin does, and run the games at a stable framerate, I would buy it at any cost.
ANY cost.

VerTiGo

Banned
AceBandage said:
If it could actually upscale it like Dolphin does, and run the games at a stable framerate, I would buy it at any cost.
ANY cost.

Yea, I was imagining if it launched with Skyward Sword, the game would be forward compatible with Stream in a way due to upscaling. That's not happening though, maybe with Dragon Quest X. Nintendo likes launching new consoles with big software for its predecessor (i.e. Pokemon Black/White vs. 3DS). Iwata said so.

VerTiGo

Banned
Outtrigger888 said:
sounds good, most wii owners only own wii sports and wii fit (kidding) but id be really happy with BC. Cant be to much to add a plug for the sensor bar.

Sensor bar has been mentioned in initial reports, as well as improved motion controls over the PlayStation Move, hinting at an improved Wiimotion Plus being developed as well.

VerTiGo

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
Doesn't the 360 do that to Xbox games or was I misunderstanding what was going on?

Older PS3 units had done that to an extent. I'm not so sure what happens with Xbox Originals. I was playing Burnout 3 earlier on the 360 but I didn't really notice any resolution improvements.

VerTiGo said:
Sensor bar has been mentioned in initial reports, as well as improved motion controls over the PlayStation Move, hinting at an improved Wiimotion Plus being developed as well.

Wait so theres the tablet controller and new motion controller for this thing? Im really confused. I think ill wait for E3 before trying to wrap my head around what nintendo is doing. These controllers with screens are gonna be expensive enough I cant imagine buying new motion controllers.

VerTiGo said:
Older PS3 units had done that to an extent. I'm not so sure what happens with Xbox Originals. I was playing Burnout 3 earlier on the 360 but I didn't really notice any resolution improvements.
ShockingAlberto said:
It doesn't do what Dolphin does.

It is software emulation, though.
Oh OK, I remember playing some damn nice looking Panzer Dragoon Orta around 360 launch but maybe it looked that good on the OG Xbox too.

MYE

Saint Gregory said:
Doesn't the 360 do that to Xbox games or was I misunderstanding what was going on?

Maybe i'm wrong but Dolphin offers alot more than your regular official upscaler or emulator.

Expecting it to be as good as free, open software that gets constantly upgraded, tweaked and tested by the same type of people that play them is a bit of a stretch, i think.
Not like i'm an expert on the subject or anything. Far from it :p

VerTiGo

Banned
Outtrigger888 said:
Wait so theres the tablet controller and new motion controller for this thing? Im really confused. I think ill wait for E3 before trying to wrap my head around what nintendo is doing. These controllers with screens are gonna be expensive enough I cant imagine buying new motion controllers.

There have been reports that mention two controllers. If we get word of an EyeToy that could technically make three. That is unless the Wiimote and nunchuck are detachable from a dock for the tablet interface. We don't have concrete answers to such. Backwards compatibility was mentioned in the earliest reports however with improved motion controls. So take that for what it is.

I'm still leaning towards Nintendo keeping the Wiimote Plus around as well as the "Wii" brand on the Project Cafe. There are both casual and hardcore interfaces for all current gaming platforms -- I wouldn't doubt it.

Wii Stream!

Link Man

Banned
Kintaco said:
I'll throw my Stream controller into the mix.
QdCPE.png

The screen is 16:10 but there is a notification banner on top, the game portion of the screen is 16:9. The bottom part of the controller has all the "weight" so it shouldn't feel top heavy.
This doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention. Just wanted to let you know that I like it.

I wonder how the battery issue will be handled on these. The pak is probably going to have to be big as hell to power the thing for a good amount of time.

AceBandage said:
ANY cost.

Not to be picky, but what Dolphin does isn't upscaling. Hell, you DON'T want it to upscale. Upscaling is basically making the pixels bigger and stretching out the image. Dolphin actually renders the image at 1080p. Plus, it's also able to add 8xmsaa to the image. I'd be happy with 4x.

VerTiGo

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
I wonder how the battery issue will be handled on these. The pak is probably going to have to be big as hell to power the thing for a good amount of time.

Well, you probably have the choice of not using the screen at all. I game at home in my own personal space and set-up, I doubt I'll keep it on unless touch gameplay is needed or if the controller screen has map details or something of the sort that I would find useful.

Additionally, OnLive can run on some pretty low-end netbooks and laptops so I'm not too convinced that these controllers would consumer more battery than a DSi.

Somnid

CoffeeJanitor said:

An iPad isn't big as hell (screen size aside). Most of the controller will be empty space to fill with a li-ion battery.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Somnid said:
An iPad isn't big as hell (screen size aside). Most of the controller will be empty space to fill with a li-ion battery.

Wonder if batteries are an option to lessen the cost of the controller. The screen might be pretty draining though.

VerTiGo

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Okay so what is going on with the 1up article? I just read it but I can't tell what is him reporting more "rumors" and what is he just imagining? It all sounds great actually, almost exactly what I would want from Nintendo online, but it sounds like he's just dreaming up stuff.

Yea, it sounds like speculation and hopeful ideas.

I'm done speculating anymore until E3.

Metroid and Zelda in HD. That's enough to sell me day one.

Ezduo

Banned
Sounds like he's confident in his sources assessment that the new console will focus a lot on online game but most of the stuff beyond that sounds like him speculating.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm really pumped for Cafe, mostly because of the multiplayer potential. Sharing a screen sucks, as it either messes up the aspect ratio or allows cheating.

twingloxx2 said:
Made a mockup.

WWRex.jpg

I like this one, if you added some recessed vertical handles which slope away from the face it could be just what people are after. The design is very kind to the ball of the thumb, which a lot of the others aren't.

Somnid

BorkBork said:
Wonder if batteries are an option to lessen the cost of the controller. The screen might be pretty draining though.

Pretty much has to be (li-ion) if they go with a large screen. There's no other efficient way to power it.

VerTiGo

Banned
Link Man said:
Which was the best GBA. So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I'd personally prefer if it didn't look like a GBASP and more like Sony's NGP like most of these mock-ups. So, I'm not agreeing with you. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
VerTiGo said:
Wouldn't it add too much bulk?

PS3 route please.

There is definitely room for 2AA's if there are handles like in the mockups, but that might not last very long with the screen.

CoffeeJanitor said:
MOCKUP.png

Reposting my mockup since that seems to be all the rage right now.

Please let me know what I should change with the design.
I don´t know if you are being sarcastic, but your mock up is as good as any of the one already posted. In the sense that it clearly comunicates your vision, not fancy by any means but it works. Generally speacking people seem to be in the same boat.

Too bad i don´t have skillz for sh!t, cause i really like the idea i have, at least it´ll make the controller a bit more unique and very small in size.

watershed

Banned
VerTiGo said:
Yea, it sounds like speculation and hopeful ideas.

I'm done speculating anymore until E3.

Metroid and Zelda in HD. That's enough to sell me day one.

I wish someone like the french site or IGN would "confirm" what the 1up dude says. Those would be amazing features for a Nintendo console. Plus with that kind of an always on, integrated social gaming experience I could see myself using the 6" screen controller instead of always gaming on the tv. It seems like all of a sudden I might start treating gaming like how I do my ipod touch or laptop. Something that is always around me, where I might play for a little, check out some online stuff, check out what my friends are doing etc.

VerTiGo

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I wish someone like the french site or IGN would "confirm" what the 1up dude says. Those would be amazing features for a Nintendo console. Plus with that kind of an always on, integrated social gaming experience I could see myself using the 6" screen controller instead of always gaming on the tv. It seems like all of a sudden I might start treating gaming like how I do my ipod touch or laptop. Something that is always around me, where I might play for a little, check out some online stuff, check out what my friends are doing etc.

Eh, if development kits are out we are bound to get tidbits of information every so often, real and fake.

antonz

Batteries wont be an issue. Tablets are like 60-70% empty. That empty space is filled with battery. Dont expect 20 hour gaming sessions though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom