• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Karaoke U will discontinue its service in Europe after 31st March 2017

Jethro

Attention fellow Karaokists,

At the end of March, Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND will discontinue its service on Wii U systems in Europe. After 31st March 2017 - 23:59 BST, the Wii Karaoke U service will become inaccessible in Europe, and any Ticket purchased for the software will become invalid.

The Wii Karaoke U Miiverse communities will also be closed at the same time and date. From 31st March, the 1-hour Ticket, 2-hour Ticket, and 24-hour Ticket will no longer be available to purchase or as redeemable rewards via the My Nintendo service.

From the 1st March, the 30-day Ticket will no longer be available to purchase or validate. Any purchased Ticket must be validated before the service closes. Players should ensure that they use any remaining tickets before 31st March - 23:59 BST. Thank you to all players for your support of Wii Karaoke U.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0f4g8EFsA

Way too early if you ask me... Hopefully it will come to Switch like all the other things (VC, Netflix, Amazon Video, Browser etc.)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I hope the service comes to Switch. I never got a Wii U, but I actually have 2 Wii U microphones lol. The EU catalog was lackluster last time I played it, but the Japanese song library was insane. It basically had everything as long as it was Japanese.

Smellycat

I honestly can't tell if the OP and replies are sarcastic or not.

I have no clue if this is a popular game or not

Dingens

too bad... know a few people who actually used it every now and then.

it's a pretty competent karaoke software. I'm sure it would've been more popular if the WiiU had managed to gain mainstream success.

I hope the service comes to Switch. I never got a Wii U, but I actually have 2 Wii U microphones lol. The EU catalog was lackluster last time I played it, but the Japanese song library was insane. It basically had everything as long as it was Japanese.

y sure hope they'll try again with the switch.

Too bad, I did use it from time to time. For those that don't know it's basically a Karaoke Box for home with a Ticket model that lets you access the whole library for a set time.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
y sure hope they'll try again with the switch.

I mean, the Wii U Karaoke had the prime distinction of being the only Japanese karaoke ever to have lyrics in latin characters for Japanese songs. That alone made it awesome.

Asian Karaoke boxes never do that. At least they don't in Japan or in France. Meaning anyone who wants to sing in Japanese but can't read the language at all/fast enough can't sing Japanese songs. So stupid.

Jethro

No I'm serious. Both alone and with friends I used it quite a lot, probably an average of 1 time a month since its release. It startet with a selection of 1500 songs. Now it contains over 5000 songs. The selection is so vast and versatile so there are many songs and Bands for everyone.

iKhayal18

I did use it a lot and even bought some monthly passes, but it was quite expensive compared to Japan, and it had a smaller song catalogue :/ However, compared to Singstar or Lips, it had a good amount of songs of all styles (and they updated it every week) and zero latency even with HDTV/4K TVs (thanks to their latency settings). Great quality instrumentals (most of them with voice included). One of the apps I've probably played the most on Wii U. I hope they also release a game for the Switch, as even now that the game is being discontinued, they are updating the catalogue (in fact, the latest update was just three days ago).

Skarnet

Banned
I did use it a lot and even bought some monthly passes, but it was quite expensive compared to Japan, and it had a smaller song catalogue :/ However, compared to Singstar or Lips, it had a good amount of songs of all styles (and they updated it every week) and zero latency even with HDTV/4K TVs (thanks to their latency settings). Great quality instrumentals (most of them with voice included). One of the apps I've probably played the most on Wii U. I hope they also release a game for the Switch, as even now that the game is being discontinued, they are updating the catalogue (in fact, the latest update was just three days ago).

I think they should make it free to sing all songs after online is closed down.. it's insane to just close down the game and no one can ever use it again.. wtf.. why not let people enjoy the huge library of songs for all eternity? Really hope this at least means they are making a Switch version!! What a waste!

Ninja Dom

I think they should make it free to sing all songs after online is closed down.. it's insane to just close down the game and no one can ever use it again.. wtf.. why not let people enjoy the huge library of songs for all eternity? Really hope this at least means they are making a Switch version!! What a waste!

Because it's an online service that Nintendo don't want to support or pay for anymore.

iKhayal18

At least they could have made it free for this last month...

Shame, I occasionally did a few evenings of this and enjoyed it. The Gamepad worked brilliantly as a way of going through the library while others sung too.

Wonder why they feel the need to turn it off entirely rather than just stop adding to it for a few months before turning it off, must be some license renewal point that's not worth doing.

Hope it makes its way to the Switch, though, would that need wireless microphones as only the dock has USB? No idea.

Exactly.. so close down the servers and dicontinue online play.. and let people use it like a normal karaoke game for free as long as they want..

All the songs are stored online, not locally. Also there'll be licensing costs of all the music, they're not free.

Dingens

Exactly.. so close down the servers and dicontinue online play.. and let people use it like a normal karaoke game for free as long as they want..

you seem to be under the impression that this was a paid app... which it wasn't
for the rest see above

Nerazar

Damn :/ My favorite feature / game on the WiiU gone.

Any word on the Japanese closing dates? I have to sell my JP WiiU before that happens.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Shame, I occasionally did a few evenings of this and enjoyed it. The Gamepad worked brilliantly as a way of going through the library while others sung too.

Wonder why they feel the need to turn it off entirely rather than just stop adding to it for a few months before turning it off, must be some license renewal point that's not worth doing.

Hope it makes its way to the Switch, though, would that need wireless microphones as only the dock has USB? No idea.

Oh crap, your post reminds me: the Wii U was ideal for karaoke thanks to the tablet, but the Switch would be a big step backwards. How do you handle song browsing while people are singing? Wouldn't it be too distracting to have both the current song and the browsing on the same screen?

Ridley327

Oh crap, your post reminds me: the Wii U was ideal for karaoke thanks to the tablet, but the Switch would be a big step backwards. How do you handle song browsing while people are singing? Wouldn't it be too distracting to have both the current song and the browsing on the same screen?

IIRC, the phone app for Just Dance can let you do just that for the console games, so it's not impossible. It would be another thing that you would need a phone for.

Garou

People here need to realize that labels and artists get paid every time someone sings a song, so a free version is simply out if the question.

I once stayed at a guest house in Nagano that used it as the main karaoke machine in their entertainment room.

Guess they will have to buy a proper karaoke machine when the service eventually stops in Japan.

A smart device app can easily solve that.

Top Bottom