• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party U |OT| Next gen knitting

Shiggy

Personally, I find review scores for games like Mario Party or Wii Party always a bit awkward. The fun solely relies on the people you play with and how much alcohol you drank.

Timeaisis

Ah, the reviews are all over the place, kind of as expected. It really depends on how many people you have to play with. I don't know how much credence I'm going to give "I played Wii Party U alone and it was terrible."

VanWinkle

I never played WIi Party so I don't really know, but..would this game be fun for only two people? One on Gamepad and one on Wiimote. I ask because I will only have the one Wiimote with Motion Plus when the game comes in. All my others are old. I know I could just get the dongle, but I don't know if any of my friends would play it anyway, so two might be my limit.

It has the tabletop games and that's AWESOME, but I'm wondering about the games outside of that.

The Boat

Personally, I find review scores for games like Mario Party or Wii Party always a bit awkward. The fun solely relies on the people you play with and how much alcohol you drank.
Not only that, over time they can become even more fun. I know Nintendo Land and Game & Wario have been nothing short of brilliant when I have friends over lately.

Tagg9

I always get the feeling that most reviewers play these games solo, which kind of defeats the purpose of something like this that is all about local multiplayer.

zroid

Banned
I always get the feeling that most reviewers play these games solo, which kind of defeats the purpose of something like this that is all about local multiplayer.

Even if they do play with others, I feel they usually are doing so with colleagues at work (especially the case with the big sites with centralized offices). It's just a very non-ideal scenario for a party game. I get that some reviewers find these sorts of games unappealing, and that's fine, but if you're going to review a product for its potential audience, you should at least put effort into replicating the enduser's experience.

Davey Cakes

I got mine in the mail from Amazon today. Very...unexpected. Two days before the release date. o_O

It's the version with the black Wiimote. Got it for $39.99 with Prime shipping because I preordered it as soon as it went up.

kuppy

Care to share the link to that ad? Well that is if it is already uploaded.
Yeah, I checked the Nintendo Youtube channels myself but couldn't find it.
Was family based and if I'm not mistaken the wife didn't want to play and her husband said something like 'just a sec' which got her interested and she liked it then too, in an other scene the kids played the GamePad football game. Not totally sure thought, wasn't paying to much attention until I realised it.

Davey Cakes

I dont care much for the reviews on this game. Ive seen enough footage to know itll be fun.
Honestly, I'm not going to look at reviews at all unless it's by accident. I already own the game and I liked the original Wii Party so this for $40 with a Wiimote should pay for itself.

If you think about it, the entire Mario Party series has middling to good reviews, not outstanding. Yet it's provided me with more hours of fun than I could count. Reviews don't do casual party games justice.

Honestly, I'm not going to look at reviews at all unless it's by accident. I already own the game and I liked the original Wii Party so this for $40 with a Wiimote should pay for itself.

If you think about it, the entire Mario Party series has middling to good reviews, not outstanding. Yet it's provided me with more hours of fun than I could count. Reviews don't do casual party games justice.

Thats right. Also, the people you play with really bring out the best of these games. I had so much fun with mario party in the n64 days.

Chairhome

I got mine in the mail from Amazon today. Very...unexpected. Two days before the release date. o_O

It's the version with the black Wiimote. Got it for $39.99 with Prime shipping because I preordered it as soon as it went up.

And of course my newegg order hasn't even shipped yet :-(...

My copy's in the post right now. I needed another Wii remote Plus as I only have one right now, but it's an amazing deal to a WR+ and a game all for £5 less than the WR+ on it's own.

Davey Cakes

By the way, for such bundles, do reviewers take into account the fact that it's basically a $10 game?
They could but choosing whether the game itself or the Wiimote is discounted (and by how much) is arbitrary, no?

Value can be part if the review but it should still be reviewed as a full price title.

I'm curious as to how much the digital version will cost, however. That'd be a better gauge, if anything.

got the game a few minutes ago, went to play it and my wiiU controller is dead! i'll have to charge it and play in a bit.... although i don't know how much fun i'll have considering i have no one around to play with today and i don't think there is online play

TDLink

So I'm looking to pick up another Wiimote+ and I figured I may as well go with a game bundle. Reviews are kind of all over the place for Wii Party U though. I am pretty sure Mario/Sonic Olympics is coming with a WM+ bundle also, right? What are the chances of that being a better party game? Especially with the online modes.

Frodo

Buying this, a few beers and having a few friends for a Wii U Party Party.

I have a friend who doesn't play any games at all (he doesn't even have a TV), but he loves Mario Chase on Nintendo Land. But I've played enough of it. Need some variety now and this game will give me exactly that.

So I'm looking to pick up another Wiimote+ and I figured I may as well go with a game bundle. Reviews are kind of all over the place for Wii Party U though. I am pretty sure Mario/Sonic Olympics is coming with a WM+ bundle also, right? What are the chances of that being a better party game? Especially with the online modes.

There is also a Just Dance 2014 + Wiimote Plus bundle, though you're only saving $10. It does have online multiplayer and is well polished for a party game.

moolamb

It's weird reading reviews about this game. If you have a good bunch of mates all into gaming (and with a cheekily competitive edge) this is top quality stuff.

Davey Cakes

Okay so I couldn't miss reviews since I looked at this thread's second page.

Sounds polarizing, which should probably be expected? It probably depends on what you play the game for. I'm in it for 4-player goodness so I hope it ends up okay.

Reviews for Ninty Land were solid but not astounding either and also depended on whether you preferred SP, MP or both. Great game in both instances IMO.

It's a bummer but I honestly don't believe that casual party games will ever get exceptionally good reviews. They'll always be polarizing and end up no higher than the 70's on Metacritic.

played the dojo mode (single player) and i can tell this game will be a lot of fun with some people around. a little boring at the "beginner" level in single player thought because the AI are dimwits and you can easily win all the games. the interface is nice and simple. the wii remote + that came in the package is much more accurate than my other wiiremote + which i got a few years back with just the little bottom thing adding onto one of my regular wii remotes. not sure if they improved things or i'm just imagining it but it seems better.

i don't think the game will have the same single player appeal as nintendo land (fzero, zelda and metroid were all pretty entertaining single player) but i there are a lot more multiplayer games. i'd say avoid it if you're single player only but if you have a few family/friends to play with it'll be worth $50

maxcriden

played the dojo mode (single player) and i can tell this game will be a lot of fun with some people around. a little boring at the "beginner" level in single player thought because the AI are dimwits and you can easily win all the games. the interface is nice and simple. the wii remote + that came in the package is much more accurate than my other wiiremote + which i got a few years back with just the little bottom thing adding onto one of my regular wii remotes. not sure if they improved things or i'm just imagining it but it seems better.

i don't think the game will have the same single player appeal as nintendo land (fzero, zelda and metroid were all pretty entertaining single player) but i there are a lot more multiplayer games. i'd say avoid it if you're single player only but if you have a few family/friends to play with it'll be worth $50

Thanks for the impressions. I'm really looking forward to picking it up Friday morning.

jakomocha

Wii Party was the only video game I could actually play with my mom and grandparents (other than Wii Sports and a few Kinect games). Guess I'll be buying it eventually. It's not the greatest, prettiest, or most content-filled game in existence. But bring a few friends or family members over and you are in for a ton of fun, and that's all that matters in a game like this. If only it had online multiplayer though (so there'd actually be a point to play it by yourself)...

Exile20

Sounds good. I hope Newegg ships mine soon.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm reviewing it. I can confirm that a lot of review are played solo. Me, instead, I force my wife to play with me :D
I can also confirm that it's not so easy to score games like this, because I have to admit: despite the introduction of tabletop games (that are fun even in single), single player is nonsensical in this game. But, hey, it's implicit in its nature: no one would enjoy board games all alone, but that doesn't mean that they don't deserve to exist, or that are not split into bad and good ones.

In multiplayer, this game is really fun. It has tons of contents, variety of minigames mode, gameplay and nature, a good use of the GamePad (asymmetric gameplay especially, so it stands out in particular in the 1 VS 3 modes), and funny way to engage you "in your house" and not only with the tv screen

It's honestly hard to score it negatively for someone looking for a party local multiplayer game. and the remote bundle is a good value.

fernoca

Amazon decided to ship my copy earlier than expected. Which was weird, as the card attached to it was just a temporary one with no balance, as I added money to another card and add it to the order by Friday (when i twas supposed to ship).

Said card was charged anyway and has a negative balance now...and the game should be here by Saturday. Sunday I'm free, and so are my other two (now 31 years old) friends..which I played the first one a ton over this years.

They can't wait to see and hear Party Phil in HD.

XD

BizzyBum

Definitely getting this, it looks gr...

*lives alone*

At least I can invite some fri...

Oh, well there's always onl...

FOREVERALONE.JPG

T_T

L~A

Nintendo just uploaded a brand new trailer for Wii Party U. It shows a lot of the new stuff (mini-games, modes, and stuff). Warning : may contain celebrities like famous tennis players. Watch at your own peril.

YouTube.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo just uploaded a brand new trailer for Wii Party U. It shows a lot of the new stuff (mini-games, modes, and stuff). Warning : may contain celebrities like famous tennis players. Watch at your own peril.

YouTube.

Cool trailer! I wonder if they air this?

Cosmozone

Wow, I totally didn't recognize him until Graf came into view. I'm pretty out of the loop, lol.

gotee12

YouTube.
That minigame at 1:20 puts the gamepad in quite a precarious position, wouldn't you say?

Nonetheless, my family is always up for a good party game. Pre ordered...

Top Bottom