• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaGuy

Holy crap!!! I'm finally a neogaf member. And i promise to always keep a level head during any and all discussions. I've seen sum good members get banned.

Just a lil info about my gaming habits. I've owned a:

Nintendo: Nes, Snes, N64, Gc, Wii, nds
Playstation: ps1, ps2
Microsoft: xbox, 360
Sega: Genesis, Nomad, Dreamcast

Holy crap!!! I'm finally a neogaf member. And i promise to always keep a level head during any and all discussions. I've seen sum good members get banned.

Just a lil info about my gaming habits. I've owned a:

Nintendo: Nes, Snes, N64, Gc, Wii, nds
Playstation: ps1, ps2
Microsoft: xbox, 360
Sega: Genesis, Nomad, Dreamcast

Replace Nomad with Game Gear, and add Virtual Boy, GBA, GBC, GB, and Colecovision and you've got my gaming console history.

Also gaming PC's throughout the ages.

My first experience in PC gaming was with Commander Keen.

That left a good impression. Skipped a bunch between that and Citizen Kabuto, and then a bunch between that and three years ago.

I've mainly been a console gamer.

ThaGuy

Replace Nomad with Game Gear, and add Virtual Boy, GBA, GBC, GB, and Colecovision and you've got my gaming console history.

Actually, I've owned a gba and gbc but the ds took its place. I still have 3 gba's so I can still play FF:CC and Loz four swords whenever I get that itch. I also owned an atari 2600 but I was to young to even experience it at the time.

Actually, I've owned a gba and gbc but the ds took its place. I still have 3 gba's so I can still play FF:CC and Loz four swords whenever I get that itch. I also owned an atari 2600 but I was to young to even experience it at the time.
"My" Colecovision was actually my older half-brothers'. But by 3 I was kicking ass in Donkey Kong and Pacman. Pacman was on one of those tabletop Pacman arcades. Healthy doses of Dig Dug, and later on Street Fighter cemented my love for arcades, and then slightly disappointment with their fall in America.

But for the most part the genre's they popularized have lived on in various forms.

big_erk

Man, Colecovision was the stuff of legends. That system had some great games. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Ladybug, Miner 2049er, and Looping just to name a few. I would spend hours playing games with the girl who would become my wife. She could roll the score on Donkey Kong. I never stood a chance.

ThaGuy

For some reason I really think Nintendo is gonna price the Wii U at $350. Especially if a wiimote + and nunchuck is included.

ThaGuy

I agree with this. They would probably get away with $350 at launch. But would really struggle by January.

I say $350 because I think they might give us:

Wii U console with cords
Wii U gamepad
Wiimote and nunchuck
NintendoLand

They charged us $250 for a wii. I wouldn't put it past them to charge $300 or more for the Wii U.

AniHawk

I say $350 because I think they might give us:

Wii U console with cords
Wii U gamepad
Wiimote and nunchuck
NintendoLand

They charged us $250 for a wii. I wouldn't put it past them to charge $300 or more for the Wii U.

i'm thinking it'll be $299.99:

-includes wii u game console
-includes wii u gamepad
-includes the newest sensation, nintendoland
-tv cords and power brick sold separately

big_erk

Too much I think

250-300$, with 250$ being the best option

While they don't want to overprice their product, they also don't want to undervalue it. $299.99 to me is the sweet spot, it is a price that they can move systems at, while also giving them a little time before they need to think about a price drop. Bundle NintendoLand with the system and it will fly off the shelves. Back it up with a solid lineup 6 months in and it should maintain momentum through 2013. When the 720 and PS4 release drop the price a bit and launch a red system bundled with NSMBU and continue printing money.

While they don't want to overprice their product, they also don't want to undervalue it. $299.99 to me is the sweet spot, it is a price that they can move systems at, while also giving them a little time before they need to think about a price drop. Bundle NintendoLand with the system and it will fly off the shelves. Back it up with a solid lineup 6 months in and it should maintain momentum through 2013. When the 720 and PS4 release drop the price a bit and launch a red system bundled with NSMBU and continue printing money.

Nintendo doesn't want to do a price cut for a while just like with the DS & Wii. Whatever the launch price will be, Nintendo believes it can be viable for a long time. I thnink they can get away with $249 or $269 a lot longer than $299.

You're joking right..... right?

With Nintendo selling 3DS XL adapter separately in some territories outside NA, I wouldn't be surprised.

NM0dz

Neo Member

-includes wii u gamepad

lol, the part that said 'with cords' is the first thing that stuck out at me.

then i remembered the 3DS XL. Good one nintendo, can't wait to read the retail scenarios on notalwaysright.com after mum's buy that and find it can't be charged

onilink88

Always so late to the party... Anyways, want to revisit the third parties on the Gamecube discussion for a bit. You know what never made sense to me? Soul Calibur 3 being exclusive to the PS2. Because, if I remember right, SC2 sold best on the Cube, so logic dictates that SC3 should have been there as well. Were there moneyhats on Sony's part that I'm not aware of, or was it just Scamco's, uh, "specialness" at work there?

StevieP

Banned
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. A lot of developers went out of business this gen, because they chose not to support the wii. Despite the high install base and lower development costs.

The case isn't that simplistic and easy to quantify as "they closed cause they didn't support the wii"

ozfunghi

Unlike 3DS, the old (wii) power adapter will not work, so excluding it for WiiU would make no sense, even be flat out stupid.

How does pixel-doubling work for N64 and Gamecube games? Those are the ones I'd be concerned about most on a 1080p screen.

It doesn't skew or mess with geometry or anything. It means that each pixel of the game is a four pixel square* on the TV.
It pretty much makes it look as if you're using a 480p SDTV (that happens to be, as modern screens seem to be, flat with shitty colours and that thing where they disappear when you look at a steep angle).

You know, it would have been particularly great if they made the HD resolutions 960p and 1920p… that way, we'd never have to deal with all this resizing crap. For that matter, 16:10 ratio really should have been the one chosen, if only to make horizontal resolution actually work out to integral numbers. 16:9 is just mathematically weird, the whole "square numbers being cool" thing notwithstanding.

Of course, this solution doesn't work at all with folks who have 720p screen, but hell with them. They half-assed their way to the future, so the future will leapfrog them.
;P

* er, unless the individual pixels have a different aspect ratio, which'd make the image a little stretchy but still not at all degraded.

Hey!

Newbie here...just got my account activated today. I just want to first say that I am happy, proud, and honored to be able to be an active part of the NeoGAF community. Second of all, as a hardcore Nintendo fan I've been like most others and have lurked the WUST threads for some time now (even got to see all of the drama with IdeaMan and people hating on him). I'm super stoked about Wii U and am looking forward to being able to discuss it with fellow Nintendo diehards :)

Don't worry; we'll fix that soon enough.

Sadist

Always so late to the party... Anyways, want to revisit the third parties on the Gamecube discussion for a bit. You know what never made sense to me? Soul Calibur 3 being exclusive to the PS2. Because, if I remember right, SC2 sold best on the Cube, so logic dictates that SC3 should have been there as well. Were there moneyhats on Sony's paprt that I'm not aware of, or was it just Scamco's, uh, "specialness" at work there?
Namco-Bandai

then i remembered the 3DS XL. Good one nintendo, can't wait to read the retail scenarios on notalwaysright.com after mum's buy that and find it can't be charged

I was under the assumption that the 3DS XL would come with charging cables, just not a dock. Is this incorrect?

jacksrb

-includes wii u gamepad

+ 2 in snarkiness.

I never see a price point in between $300 & $350 - maybe something like $320-$330.

Also, I think those that think they will be at $250 are smoking the above mentioned pot + something.

This tech is much more advanced and the gamepad is much more expensive than the Wiimote and nunchuck.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
$299 Launch with Game Pad
- No wiimote
- No Pack-In-Game

Nintendo Land and NSMBU retail launch games. Both will sell bucketloads. Maybe Nintendo sneaks one more first-party game (Sing?).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
When will the rest of the Wii U software be announced? August? September?
Just finished making a new 3DS video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3hvloDaCE), and I want to make a Wii U one. :(

July 18 and 19 will see EA Sports announcements (most likely just FIFA and Madden).

The next Nintendo Direct will probably be August 21-22 or so.

And then Nintendo will be holding a Fall event, probably in September.

Also you could see Japanese 3rd party stuff unveiled in Famitsu at any time.

Meelow

Banned
July 18 and 19 will see EA Sports announcements (most likely just FIFA and Madden).

Why the 18th-19th?.

Banned
When the Wii U was announced I first thought Nintendo would price it around $350. That price sit well with me because it's not cheap, but it covers the GamePad and has some decent tech that is at least double the PS3. But it seems most of NintendoGaf doesn't want this thing to be more then $300.

I like to associate price with power and features. So a $300 console to me in 2012 doesn't seem all that powerful, especially if the GamePad is supposed to be a large fraction of that price.

But I'm in the minority here, as I would buy a Wii U at $400 (if it was at least 3x a 360 lol). When I read comments from Iwata saying "more expensive then Wii ($250)" and "won't be cheap" and Reggie and itwata talking about "value" I don't see this thing being cheaper then $300. I think many people are expecting less then $300 are going to be disappointed. If its less then that, it will be a wii all over again. A unique console that will be for Nintendo games only and abandoned by 2016.

September it is then. -_-

Hey folks, another noob here just got approved! On my bday of all days! :D

Been keeping up with these threads since last year. I look forward to speculating with you guys!

schuelma

Wouldn't that require Japanese 3rd party stuff to begin with ?

Ha. We'll see. I cannot imagine Japanese support to be worse than Western pubs, so I have to imagine we'll see some announcements.

Banned
Everyone get your salt shakers out....

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/07/wii-u-specs-rumors-resurface/
New Wii U Specs (dev kits)
Wii U CPU runs at 3.4 GHz and has 3 cores
2 MB L2 cache on one core, 512 KB on the two other cores
3 GB memory for dev kits, 1.5 GB of memory for retail consoles
Custom AMD Wii U GPU with 32 MB embedded eDRAM and unified shader architecture
More GPU features: custom shader support, compute shader support, 128 bit floating point HDR texture filtering, multi-sample anti-aliasing, 720p + 4X MSAA, or 1080p no MSAA rendering.
Dedicated 120 MHz audio processor, 6 channel audio for console, 2 channel for controller
512 MB of on-board flash storage for the Wii U operating system
8 GB of flash storage for apps and games.

3.4GHz on an out of order CPU? Lol.....fake

Banned
Hey folks, another noob here just got approved! On my bday of all days! :D

Been keeping up with these threads since last year. I look forward to speculating with you guys!
Happy birthday fellow junior! And welcome! Stay away from Thunder Monkey....he bites.

In the U.S, charging cables will be included. But in other countries, that's when details get hazy.

That's… possibly interesting. If their back power port were mini- or micro-usb this would be far more understandable but still odd.

+ 2 in snarkiness.

I never see a price point in between $300 & $350 - maybe something like $320-$330.

Also, I think those that think they will be at $250 are smoking the above mentioned pot + something.

This tech is much more advanced and the gamepad is much more expensive than the Wiimote and nunchuck.

They could swing it if they pursue more than one price point. It's not like they've never had a multi-sku console launch before.

schuelma

Me neither. I'm still kinda shocked that e.g. Capcom hasn't commented on Wii U (except for "No RE 6 for now") yet. There's probably just two possibilities, either there's nothing to reveal or there's going to be one giant event where they reveal everything.

I'm not sure the latter is really going to happen at this point. We've heard almost nothing.

Well, we know there is more coming- Iwata tweeted at E3 that 3rd party Japanese software would be unveiled later. Also Japan seems to work a bit different with their unveils- it isn't that uncommon for titles, even reasonably major ones, to be unveiled 3-4 months before release.

I'm not expecting megatons, but I suspect we'll see a decent amount of ported content similar to Western efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom