• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

+Aliken+

WiiU_000.png

360_000.png

PS3_000.png

WiiU_001.png

360_001.png

PS3_001.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I assume these are snapped from videos? Because honestly, you're not going to be able to properly compare quality (unless there's a massive, obvious difference like the banners) unless you have direct feed shots side by side. Direct feed shots properly captured.

I don't think they can be compared... the sky and color in the WiiU shot seems different but I am not sure if it is leaning for better or worst

EC's complaints stands

can we photoshop the blimp into the 360/PS3 versions? add jaggies and sell the photos to Forbes?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you were to base the IQ off those screenshots, you can see the church in the middle has a higher detail texture in addition to banners that don't appear in the 360/PS3 release. But there also appears to be LOD issues with distant scenery, as metal grating and fencing in the background hasn't been rendered at all.

It's both better and worse.

Effect

It is good to see the Wii U versions will at least have more going on in the background. However I'm questioning if it's going to be worth getting the multiplatform titles of any kind at the start. Games like ZombiU and Project P-100 (I hope it's there for launch) seem like there might have been more care and effort put in. That tends to go a long way with me when deciding between games. Or at least games I'm willing to take a shot on.

I do hope Nintendo knows what it's doing when it comes to Pikmin 3. They've promised that game for so long. Things could easily go sour if that game doesn't deliver for fans of the series. Never played the series before myself so I have no expectations. Having played the Overlord games and Little King Story I have some idea of what to expect as I believe those games are similar to the franchise in how they are designed. Cousins maybe . I'm delivering on features and content. If Pikmin 3 ended up just being Pikmin 2 but prettier would that produce a negative reaction after so much time has passed since Pikmin 2?

I think I recall a similar reaction to Pilotwings Resort which after so much time had so little content compared to the last game in the series.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If you were to base the IQ off those screenshots, you can see the church in the middle has a higher detail texture in addition to banners that don't appear in the 360/PS3 release. But there also appears to be LOD issues with distant scenery, as metal grating and fencing in the background hasn't been rendered at all.

In Armored Edition Batman is strong enough to tear down the outside perimeter... and then freely come and go from Arkham City as he pleases.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

The most notable difference is the motion blur on WiiUblimp shot.

I still think that these PS360 - port - comparisons are useless. You won't see any major differences.

Why are your trying so hard. xD

I think its too early for it but its still an interesting venture later on
my gripe is that Nintendo should have been on this level 6 years ago and had gone HD with these guys :(

*shrug* I don't know. I think it was less the launch line-up, and more Nintendo's silly reluctance to show anything that isn't coming right away. I'm not excited for the Wii U, basically.
Exactly my thoughts. I think the launch line-up it's pretty good, at least better than Wii or 3DS ones. I'm really interested in Pikmin 3, Zombi U, Rayman Legends, P-100. Maybe I'll also buy NSMB U. And Nintendo Land if doesn't come with the console (just maybe).

But that's it. Good games (I guess), but games for the first three-four months. And then, what? I have to wait until june 2013 to know what they will launch that year? And to june 2014 to see what's coming out in 2014? That sucks.

Effect

has people seen Mass Effect 3 WiiU? where do they get these FPS numbers?

I have to admit I am curious as to what Mass Effect 3 will look like more then any other port for the system. Mainly because I'm a scifi fan, I did like the ME universe and it's an RPG (my genre of choice).

I have ME1 and 2 (grab it for $10 with free 3-day shipping on Amazon a while back during one of those weird sales) on the 360. Have yet to play 2 and even then I got 1 pretty cheap at the time. So I'd be willing to go for it if it's significantly improved over the other versions and they have the comic book decision making setup like the PS3 version of ME2 did. Though this is dependent on what Bioware does with the new ending DLC they put out.

my gripe is that Nintendo should have been on this level 6 years ago and had gone HD with these guys :(
Yeah, but who knows if Nintendo would've been successfull with a third HD-brother. (I doubt it)

And if they don't earn money they can't stay competitive on this market, especially if you're competitors names are Microsoft and Sony, who have revenues of well above 50 billion US Dollars.

*Doesn't excuse Nintendos silly information policy and other bad decisions.

Yeah, but who knows if Nintendo would've been successfull with a third HD-brother. (I doubt it)

And if they don't earn money they can't stay competitive on this market, especially if you're competitors names are Microsoft and Sony, who have revenues of well above 50 billion US Dollars.

*Doesn't excuse Nintendos silly information policy and other bad decisions.

this thing right now is an up hill battle for Nintendo

to be fair most of us have a hard time remembering what Xbox 360 games looked like at launch I was watching Mass Effect 1 play through videos on Youtube just to get a feel for what the story was about and sheesh the textures of that thing did not age well

but here we are comparing WiiU launch titles to end of cycle PS360 ports, kinda hard to say where the IQ in WiiU games will head from here but before they even begin to shine they will be slammed again by the newest consoles

U is for Underdog

I have to admit I am curious as to what Mass Effect 3 will look like more then any other port for the system. Mainly because I'm a scifi fan, I did like the ME3 universe and it's an RPG (my genre of choice).

I have ME1 and 2 (grab it for $10 with free 3-day shipping on Amazon a while back during one of those weird sales) on the 360. Have yet to play 2 and even then I got 1 pretty cheap at the time. So I'd be willing to go for it if it's significantly improved over the other versions and they have the comic book decision making setup like the PS3 version of ME2 did. Though this is dependent on what Bioware does with the new ending DLC they put out.

it would be pretty funny if they revised everything at the end and no DLC was needed at all for this version

Tim-E

The Playstation and Xbox were bleeding money with every unit sold six years ago. Nintendo was making a profit with each unit sold and was selling way more than their competition was. Tons of studios fell during the transition to HD and significantly larger budgets and tons continue to. It fiscially made sense for Nintendo to do what they did. Releasing a SD console six years ago didn't hurt them, I doubt that releasing a bridge console between the current generation and the next will, either. The industry will generally do whatever it does, but Nintendo is pretty good at being successful by not exactly following the standards set by everyone else.

this thing right now is an up hill battle for Nintendo

to be fair most of us have a hard time remembering what Xbox 360 games looked like at launch I was watching Mass Effect 1 play through videos on Youtube just to get a feel for what the story was about and sheesh the textures of that thing did not age well

but here we are comparing WiiU launch titles to end of cycle PS360 ports, kinda hard to say where the IQ in WiiU games will head from here but before they even begin to shine they will be slammed again by the newest consoles

U is for Underdog
And I still ask why, I think we all know that these games won't get any enhancements regarding the graphics.

Noone talks about Nintendo Land, Project P-100, Zombi U and Lego City.

Why? Because people like to moan, even if these games aren't the "uber-Next-Gen" games, they show us the strenghts of the Wii U hardware and it's potential more than any PS360-port is ever going to show.

Effect

so any word on when the next nintendo direct will be?

If they aren't counting the E3 Nintendo Direct as apart of the schedule it should be at the end of the month. The last normal one was in April I think. If not then we might have to wait until August to get another one.

Tim-E

If they aren't counting the E3 Nintendo Direct as apart of the schedule it should be at the end of the month. The last normal one was in April I think. If not then we might have to wait until August to get another one.

When do they typically announce them? Generally only a few days before actually having them, correct?

And I still ask why, I think we all know that these games won't get any enhancements regarding the graphics.

Why? Because people like to moan, even if these games aren't the "uber-Next-Gen" games, they show us the strenghts of the Wii U hardware and it's potential more than any PS360-port is ever going to show.

hey I asked a P-100 question and it was ignored T-T

The Playstation and Xbox were bleeding money with every unit sold six years ago. Nintendo was making a profit with each unit sold and was selling way more than their competition was. Tons of studios fell during the transition to HD and significantly larger budgets and tons continue to. It fiscially made sense for Nintendo to do what they did. Releasing a SD console six years ago didn't hurt them, I doubt that releasing a bridge console between the current generation and the next will, either. The industry will generally do whatever it does, but Nintendo is pretty good at being successful by not exactly following the standards set by everyone else.

but but but Pach said they lost all their monies from the Wiis

Effect

When do they typically announce them? Generally only a few days before actually having them, correct?

A few days ahead of time has been the practice.

I think Nintendo Land, P-100, etc aren't being talked about because they are unknowns. At least as far as it goes outside of threads about them. With the others we have other footage to compare them and others like to use that to judge how powerful the Wii U is (Something, at least those on forums like this, really want confirmation on.). They're knowns.

I blame this on Nintendo though. I do wish they had focused on them (P-100, etc) in the press conference. Even with Nintendo Land they could have done a much better job of selling that game by actually showing off the plaza, how you traveled to different attractions, made it clear it could be played single player and that you can unlock things and build up the plaza. I only learned this after the fact. Such a wasted opportunity.

Tim-E

but but but Pach said they lost all their monies from the Wiis

The mountain of money amassed by the DS and the Wii has definitely given them a strong safety net throughout the last year.

3DS launch hurt them, as well as selling them at a loss, but they're building up a rock solid base of users and are doing incredibly well in Japan while doing pretty well in the US. It likely won't be as big of a hit as the DS, but it doesn't need to be. By the fall they'll no longer be selling at a loss. Nintendo will be just fine, despite what people in the regular gaming forum/most game journalists/Pach dream of.

Effect said:
I blame this on Nintendo though. I do wish they had focused on them (P-100, etc) in the press conference. Even with Nintendo Land they could have done a much better job of selling that game by actually showing off the plaza, how you traveled to different attractions, made it clear it could be played single player and that you can unlock things and build up the plaza. I only learned this after the fact. Such a wasted opportunity.

I think they could have done a better job of selling Nintendoland by showing nothing more than a trailer and some clips of the games instead of spending 1/3 of the conference focused on it. I think it was the incredibly drawn out presentation that hurt it above all else.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, you can play it singleplayer; remember them confirming this in the developers roundtable video
I'm pretty sure they said there will be single player, but the game is really designed for multiplayer.
Thanks. I only heard on the E3 press conferenace that they said that there would also be single player attractions, but they didnt specify if this was own attractions or that it applied to every attraction.

Man, except for some obvious additional objects, I really don't see the dramatic differences in the Batman versions people are freaking out over since yesterday. In fact, I don't see any differences at all.

Yup, pretty much exactly how I feel. Coming into E3, I was primed to buy it at launch.

Coming out of E3, I just have no real excitement for the console.

Intellectually, I know the launch lineup looks surprisingly decent.

Intellectually, I know Retro and EAD Tokyo are working on what I'm sure are great games.

But..right now I just don't have any real excitement for the system. No title I'm looking at that says I HAVE TO GET A WII U for that game.

Lack of 3rd party support was also a big red flag for me, and the whole Wii U getting ignored like Wii starting to look more and more feasible.

I'm sure I will end up getting a Wii U and it might even be at launch if Nintendo shows more software in the months ahead.

But E3 definitely did not do the job for me.

Yeah, I calmed down a bit now. Right after the conference I too felt devastated :lol I could hardly describe my feelings and just like the guys I was chatting with I couldn't understand what just happened. I mean, it really didn't take that much to at least get Nintendofans excited, but they literally showed nothing new. Except SiNG. And new peripheral for WiiFit. This has nothing to do with being overhyped, no one could have expected that they didn't do shit in a whole year. As mentioned by someone else, candidate for worst console unveiling ever.

Yeah, the launch actually looks kinda decent now. But there's still nothing that gives me the feeling that this is supposed to be Nintendos next gen. Mario and Pikmin look too similar to their predecessors and I'd play them with the Wiimote. I want them, P-100 too, but for ~300€? With nothing else shown for the future? :[
At this point I also don't care that Retro and others certainly are working on something. That excuse worked last year, but not twice in a row...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm re-watching the Nintendo Press Conference and caught a little detail. The part of the stage that juts out into the crowd has the same 'U' shape that's in the Wii U logo.

jwj442

Is it possible non-specific action figure could be in a game under development? Nintendo seems to be trying to give him a lot of exposure (the ND skit, Moffit at the 3DS show, Iwata in another video). Of course it could just be them playing along with the meme.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm re-watching the Nintendo Press Conference and caught a little detail. The part of the stage that juts out into the crowd has the same 'U' shape that's in the Wii U logo.

Why would you put yourself through that torture?

Almost a week later I'm STILL stunned by how terrible that press conference was. A total disaster from the moment the Pikmin 3 introduction ended.

Oh well. Maybe TGS will be different.

Tim-E

Is it possible non-specific action figure could be in a game under development? Nintendo seems to be trying to give him a lot of exposure (the ND skit, Moffit at the 3DS show, Iwata in another video). Of course it could just be them playing along with the meme.

I think they're just becoming self-aware of the memes that generate from videos such as these, so they're just playing along with it.

during his drunken meltdown and NEOGAF rant on a late night Bombcast during E3

Any links to this?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Lego City is one of my most-wanted games but let's be honest--that looked terrible on the visual end. Screen tearing and jaggies all over the place.

Why would you put yourself through that torture?

Almost a week later I'm STILL stunned by how terrible that press conference was. A total disaster from the moment the Pikmin 3 introduction ended.

Oh well. Maybe TGS will be different.

he likes pain?

What TGS since when has Nintendo been to TGS?

hmmmm Nintendo Direct is like what a week away?

who won your Bingo? is this why you are reviewing this mess?

Effect

hmmmm Nintendo Direct is like what a week away?

Unless they are counting the E3 Nintendo Direct. Nintendo is no hurry it seems to get information out. I still question why they even had the Nintendo Direct. Had they included that content in the press conference it would have actually been better I think. Saying they are going to show "games" during the conference and then ending up showing what we already saw and knew about and then leaving out actual new content that showed off the new controller and system only to be announced after that made no sense. It's so easy to rewrite Nintendo's conference, while keeping the general direction they wanted it's scary. How it ended up the way it did doesn't make any sense.

chris3116

So I'm not alone to be not excited on the re-reveal on Wii U. I know I'll get it at 1 moment but it's not this year. However, I never bought any consoles at launch.

I'm not hyped at all for the PS4/Xbox3. More gun, more violence, more brown games, I saw it this gen with the PS3 and Xbox 360. It's pratically meh at this point.

This new gen is not what I called necessairy. It was for Nintendo to have something else and I don't know now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom