• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Reggie answering Kotaku's questions about the Wii U:
http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fr...-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions

Not very revealing about the details of the system and I think it's best to take what he says with a grain of salt.

So Friendcodes are basically accurate identifiers now. Hell as long as you get friendrequests, this should be a non issue. It should also help enforcing parental controls for those who use them.

Good to see some clarity on the Miiverse system.

So the file is scanned by a comp, and only if something or someone gets flagged often will there be a human review.. instead of someone reviewing everything.

Imagine how many people Nintendo would have to hire just to monitor Miiverse lol.

Penguin

So Friendcodes are basically accurate identifiers now. Hell as long as you get friendrequests, this should be a non issue. It should also help enforcing parental controls for those who use them.

Imagine how many people Nintendo would have to hire just to monitor Miiverse lol.

*Shrugs*

We have an entire thread, LOL how pathetic Nintendo.

So basicly, can someone cofirm this, wii u specs.

Cpu, 1x fully featured power 7 core, with 512kb cache, very beefy simd unit.
2x in order cores, 128/256 kb of cache. Locked cache per core, simd.

Gpu , ATi Radeon HD 4650 AGP
At A Glance
Manufacturer: ATi
Series: Radeon HD 4k
GPU: RV730
Release Date: 2009-04-09
Interface: AGP 8X
Core Clock: 600 MHz
Shader Clock: 600 MHz
Memory Clock: 500 MHz (1000 DDR)
Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/sec
FLOPS: 384 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate: 4800 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 19200 MTexels/sec
Details
Max Power Draw: 48 W (at 55nm)
Noise Level: Moderate
Framebuffer: 512,1024 MB
Memory Type: DDR2
Memory Bus Type: 64x2 (128 bit)
DirectX Compliance: 10.1
OpenGL Compliance: 2.1
PS/VS Version: 4.1/4.1
Process: 55 nm
Shader Processors: 320
Pipeline Layout: ?
Texture Units: 32
Raster Operators 8

Yeah that CPU stuff is just old speculation. Plus that GPU is weaker than the underclocked GPU in the first kit. We know they didn't make it worse.

I kinda think the GPU is a massively underclocked RV740 by now. I mean, not really a RV740, but a chip with the same basic core configuration (640:32:16). We don't have actual clocks for individual components, but with prior Nintendo systems, the DSP clock was always the base clock for everything - and we know the DSP clock. It's also known that heat and power consumption don't increase linearly with clock speed, so going with more transistors at a lower clock is more energy efficient. With a 120MHz base, the GPU would probably run at either 360 or 480MHz. If my assumptions are correct, the GPU should therefore provide either 460GFLOPS at ~20W or 614GFLOPS at ~30W. The former is more in line with what the Ubisoft dude said, but I tend to believe it might be the latter, as it looks like the system was designed with a higher power envelope in mind.

Nice point. I completely forgot about that clock being synced as well in the past. And yeah I can see it being 480Mhz in that case.

What makes you think he has access to a dev kit?

Before I submitted it I also had in that post that devs can be fanboys too, but I removed it beforehand. At worst he knows some who has access to it as he was the first one I remember that indicated the L2 cache is 3MB.

Well thats what I said, pointing out that during the conference Nintendo specifically said they ONLY wanted to show games that used a single gamepad. And I got laughed at.

People are still sore that Nintendo didnt show some bigger titles during E3, but I think they did a smart thing. They are giving smaller titles, new franchises, like project P-100, a chance to get noticed. They also want third party titles to sell well. Its not like the console has launched and we are in the middle of a game drought.

The other thing we shouldn't forget, some titles might not have been shown due to external situations. We have rumors that Eternal Darkness2 was being worked on. But then got canceled due to financial and legal problems. This could have been a game Nintendo wanted to show off. The same thing happened with the Wii the year they had that god awe-full conference. Later we heard that Factor5 was supposed to show some titles, but because of legal issues, it all collapsed. And then we got a small glimpse of that Factor5 engine... Imagine if Factor5 did have that game ready for the Wii, things might be a little different now.

Anyway, I think Nintendo is just pacing themselves. Sony and MS have not shown anything that worries Nintendo, so they have time to reveal features and games in incremental stages.

You must have said that in the conference thread? I didn't bother with it till after the conference was over and didn't look through much of it. I'm only bothered by the conference because they have stuff coming. If they would just start explaining their goals and plans beforehand instead of after the fact, things would go a lot better for them.

Eradicate

Ok, so Future Publishing IIRC. It SHOULD be reliable. Still, I would wait to open the th *sees someone has already opened it* No, nothing. XD

newman.jpg

Neeeeewman!

And rpmurphy, thanks for the interview link!

I read somewhere else (I doubt I could find the links now) about their policy as far as content moderation on Miiverse. I knew that it would have filters and things like that. I think someone just caught Iwata off-guard or wasn't clear and he said "30 minutes" (probably for a thorough review) and now that is the information flying around everywhere. It seems like a pretty normal system to me.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
They're still going to attempt to protect players from spoilers, which can't be flagged by filters and must be reviewed by a human.

Yeah I'm torn. I'm down on the system a bit because of the "cant see any difference from current gen" thing. Even Pikmin didn't have AA and I'd have thought that would have been a no brainer if it was possible. Then again we still have those leaked specs and they seem to point to something that should be noticeably better than current gen.

Since e3 my stance has changed from optimistic, to quite cautiously so. With the odd bit of ranting and wanting to kick Iwata and Reggie in the bollocks.

Looking at The Last of Us, Beyond & Halo 4, I don't expect to have that feeling, well, ever. I said it in another thread, If you compare the best wii u games 6 years from now to the best ps3/360 games of today, technically you won't see much of a difference.

I had different expectations, and a different mindset in general than everyone else going into the conference. I don't care about third party support since I will be getting on of ms/sony systems next gen. I don't care about online, so the lack of details didn't bother me. And graphically, I don't expect the wii u to look better or worse than what we have today. I know 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, are eventually coming, so the lack of announcements didn't bother me too much.

To me, it's all about price. They could have announced the greatest line up in history, if it's out of my price range, I don't care. If it launches at $249, it's going to pretty hard not to buy it this year. And I'm hoping with the tepid specs that are starting to leak out, no hdd shipping with the unit, no multitouch is enough to keep the price down. I hope.

I can't add anything to EatChildren's statement. Nintendo is unsuprisingly my favourite company on earth, but that re-reveal alienated myself from them. P-100, Pikmin 3 and NSMBU look very good, but this doesn't feel like a console I need in the moment.

Same here, along with ZombiU & Rayman Legends. Nice titles, but I can play them later. Unless it launches cheap.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It really sounds like they are only talking about things to a certain level. There's got to be an event detailing more about the system than these vague answers
There are several events before launch, some are detailed and some are speculated.

The most relevant right now is the following:

The 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

Date and Time: Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. Japan time
Place: Seventh floor conference room at the Company's head office, located at 11-1 Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku, Kyoto, Japan

Convocation Notice

Mr. Iwata and others are up for election here. I doubt anyone will not be re-elected but I assume the investors can't be too happy with the most recent events (the press conference, stock value decrease etc.) and will have a lot of questions. There's always a Q&A session with this, so there should be more information coming from this event.

Apart from that, there's the Wii U event in Japan (date unknown), supposed mall tours and Nintendo Direct.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Possible events/places where announcements can be unveiled

1-The Japanese E3 event. I think this is supposed to be this week. It is most likely just going to be showing off Nintendo's first party stuff for the Japanese press, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if some Japanese-focused 3rd party stuff is introduced (we know this Japanese 3rd party stuff is coming sometime from Iwata's tweet last week).

2- September conference. See Wii in 2006. I don't think any new software was announced, but this could be when the online plans are introduced.

3- Japanese Fall Conference. I think last year this was used as a 3DS event- MH Tri G and MH4 were unveiled. This could be when Japanese 3rd party stuff is announced, or this could just turn into the worldwide September Wii U conference discussed above.

4- Nintendo Directs. Could be anytime.

5- Famitsu leaks, every Tuesday night. Again, this could be a place where Japanese games are announced

6- Western magazines. Nintendo Power could get some minor scoops. Black Ops 2 could be unveiled this way- We know from ShockingAlberto that a game (most likely Black Ops 2) was shown to journalists before E3.

guit3457

I really love this part:

Used Games

"We don't have a policy surrounding used games," Fils-Aime said. "We have not put in place any technology to go after the used game business."

Somebody earlier was saying the camera on the controller was 1024x768, or at least that's what the megapixels worked out to. Is that confirmed? I was curious how that compared to other gaming cameras, and was surprised to see that both PlayStation Eye and Kinect are only 640x480, though of course Kinect has a bit more going on.

EDIT: I knew DSi and 3DS took 640x480 pictures, seems Vita does too.

Eradicate

Possible events/places where announcements can be unveiled

1-The Japanese E3 event. I think this is supposed to be this week. It is most likely just going to be showing off Nintendo's first party stuff for the Japanese press, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if some Japanese-focused 3rd party stuff is introduced (we know this Japanese 3rd party stuff is coming sometime from Iwata's tweet last week).

2- September conference. See Wii in 2006. I don't think any new software was announced, but this could be when the online plans are introduced.

3- Japanese Fall Conference. I think last year this was used as a 3DS event- MH Tri G and MH4 were unveiled. This could be when Japanese 3rd party stuff is announced, or this could just turn into the worldwide September Wii U conference discussed above.

4- Nintendo Directs. Could be anytime.

5- Famitsu leaks, every Tuesday night. Again, this could be a place where Japanese games are announced

6- Western magazines. Nintendo Power could get some minor scoops. Black Ops 2 could be unveiled this way- We know from ShockingAlberto that a game (most likely Black Ops 2) was shown to journalists before E3.

That's a good list! I'm sure something will pop up at each of those things!

Also...

RUMOR:

http://www.ripten.com/2012/06/10/rumor-nintendo-readying-wii-u-tour-jb64/

Could be totally false. But, we do know that some Nintendo people speaking to the media are talking about how difficult it is to "talk" about the Wii U and that it really needs to be experienced. I could see a tour taking place.

Again, rumor! Sorry if old!

I too would love to know more about the camera!

EVIL

Somebody earlier was saying the camera on the controller was 1024x768, or at least that's what the megapixels worked out to. Is that confirmed? I was curious how that compared to other gaming cameras, and was surprised to see that both PlayStation Eye and Kinect are only 640x480, though of course Kinect has a bit more going on.

EDIT: I knew DSi and 3DS took 640x480 pictures, seems Vita does too.

I read on wiiudaily.com I think about the camera being 1.3 megapixels, that should pan out as 1280x1024

It will all depend on the sensor and the lens on how clear the image will be. but it should give enough visual data for 720p video

edit, none of this info is.. confirmed

Penguin

That's a good list! I'm sure something will pop up at each of those things!

Also...

RUMOR:

http://www.ripten.com/2012/06/10/rumor-nintendo-readying-wii-u-tour-jb64/

Could be totally false. But, we do know that some Nintendo people speaking to the media are talking about how difficult it is to "talk" about the Wii U and that it really needs to be experienced. I could see a tour taking place.

Again, rumor! Sorry if old!

I too would love to know more about the camera!

I.. would pretty much believe this

They've done something similar all the way back with the GameCube and their "Cube Clubs"

They've done it for the Wii and the 3DS.

And.. really in their best interest

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The end of June is surprisingly early to start promotional touring for a November launch.

They're still going to attempt to protect players from spoilers, which can't be flagged by filters and must be reviewed by a human.

That's why they have a user-flagging system, someone gets flagged by a lot of users as posting something inappropriate, they get a human rep looking at their comments. Hopefully Nintendo then goes super-strict, banning that Wii-U from posting anything at all to Miiverse for like 6 months

Depends on how legitimate "dwinq.com" is, I guess.

Off-topic, but I'm wondering why I'm getting an advertisement for Special K cracker chips at the top of my screen. More to the point, I'm wondering why it's in Spanish... ¿Se supone que debemos hablar en Español ahora? Please tell me we don't, because I don't like using Google Translate :(

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The end of June is surprisingly early to start promotional touring for a November launch.
Remember, some reputable sources (Fubon Research/Lingsen) have stated that Wii U WILL launch Q3 (1st of July to the 30th of September) this year. It contradicts what Nintendo has said regarding launch as "holiday" has been referenced though, but you never know.

https://fubonresearch.fbs.com.tw/FILE/17223.pdf

I suppose Nintendo could bring back the Nintendo Fusion Tour for Wii U promoting, though that started in September when it was held most recently in 2006.

Actually, I suppose it'd be easier to forgive the lack of major bombshells at the E3 presser if it turns out this thing is launching earlier than November.

(It won't be, though, I really don't see it happening)

Eradicate

Depends on how legitimate "dwinq.com" is, I guess.

Off-topic, but I'm wondering why I'm getting an advertisement for Special K cracker chips at the top of my screen. More to the point, I'm wondering why it's in Spanish... ¿Se supone que debemos hablar en Español ahora? Please tell me we don't, because I don't like using Google Translate :(

http://www.dwinq.com/

Looking into it, it just seems like a site/app that ties into social media that makes event management easier for signing up, sharing pictures (sharing anything really), etc. It's used by some big brands and has national recognition, so I guess this is all good? I honestly know no more than that.

Haha, mmm...Spanish cracker chips...

Rösti;38768201 said:
Remember, some reputable sources (Fubon Research/Lingsen) have stated that Wii U WILL launch Q3 (1st of July to the 30th of September) this year. It contradicts what Nintendo has said regarding launch as "holiday" has been referenced though, but you never know.

https://fubonresearch.fbs.com.tw/FILE/17223.pdf

I suppose Nintendo could bring back the Nintendo Fusion Tour for Wii U promoting, though that started in September when it was held most recently in 2006.

It's also strange that the partial release list has some games listed as launch window, while others say holiday. If the console is launching in November, you would think there would be no reason to have two listings like that at the same time.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some more info about that event:

Wii U Experience FAQs

Registration Questions

What happens if I don’t register before the event? Can I still come?
Due to limited space at the Wii U Experience, registration is required for all guests prior to the deadline included in your invitation.

None of the available dates or times work for my schedule. Can I still register?
Unfortunately, we are only able to accommodate guests during the dates/times listed on the registration page.

Can I give my registration to someone else?
No, invitations are strictly nontransferable and photo ID will be required at check-in.

What if my guest can no longer make it? Can I give my guest invite to someone else?
If your guest is no longer available and you would like to transfer their invitation to another person, please contact WiiUExperienceQuestions@dwinQ.com.

Can I invite more guests to come with me?
Due to limited capacity at the Wii U Experience, we are only able to accommodate the number of guests included in your confirmation email. Guests who are not on our RSVP list will not be allowed in.

Can I bring my children?
Yes, the Wii U Experience is happy to accommodate guests of all ages. Use one guest code for each child you would like to bring. All children under 18 must be accompanied to the event by a parent or guardian.

Why do you need my Facebook account information? Do I have to register my Facebook account?
The Wii U Experience will feature interactive stations that allow you to instantly share personal photos and reactions with your friends on Facebook. Facebook registration is completely optional and not required to attend the event.

My registration code is not working.
The registration code must match the original code sent to you in the invitation. If you have confirmed you are entering the correct code and are still receiving an error message, please contact WiiUExperienceQuestions@dwinQ.com

My schedule has changed. Can I change or cancel my selected date/time after registration?
If you would like to change or cancel your selected date/time, please contact WiiUExperienceQuestions@dwinQ.com. We will do our best to accommodate schedule changes, but cannot guarantee that spots will still be available during the other days/times.

I registered for the Wii U Experience, but didn’t receive the email to confirm my registration? What do I do now?
Please allow up to 5 hours to receive the email. There is a chance your email program is mistaking our email for junk mail, so try checking in your Junk Mail or Trash folder. If you still haven't received the email, contact WiiUExperienceQuestions@dwinQ.com.

General Event FAQs

What time should I arrive for check-in?
Guests may check-in 10-15 minutes prior to their selected timeslot.

What do I need at check in?
One (1) form of identification (photo ID or passport) will be required at check-in. We suggest that you also bring a printed copy of your confirmation email, however this is not required. Any attendees who are not on the confirmed RSVP list will not me admitted to the event due to space limitations.

Will there be food and drinks?
A limited amount of complimentary snacks and drinks will be available at the event, but we highly suggest guests eat before they come.

It looks like I signed up for a 2-hour appointment. Can I stay all day?
Guests may arrive and leave anytime within their selected two hour session. However, your admission will only allow entrance during the hours of your specified session. After each session, the experience will be closed and reset for the next session.

Can I bring a camera or recording device to the event?
We encourage guests to bring cameras to the event in order to capture their experience.

Will there be anything available for purchase at the event?
No, there will not be any Nintendo merchandise available to purchase at the event.

What games will we be able to play?
Guests will have the opportunity to experience Wii U, including its new touch screen controller, full HD graphics and innovative new games.

Where should I park?
We encourage the use of public transportation and carpooling. Please plan on using public parking near the venue.

http://nintendo.dwinq.com/NintendoRegistration/faq.html

The access code is 20 characters max.

I also noticed that the header image on that site was changed "2012:05:29 22:40:41". Could it have been Nintendo's plan all along to introduce some megaton games at this event instead of E3? It seems to be a rather exclusive event, but we shouldn't get worked up.

Eradicate

Not that it may help, but I tried some sleuthing to determine what the access codes looked like. The two that I found were 8 digits, all numbers. Whether this is different for this event, I have no idea, and the two I found are certainly not for this Nintendo event.

...I'm guessing numbers until I find one that works!!!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo: The Wii U will have system-wide achievements, but they are not mandatory.
People: YOU SUCK NINTENDO, we want to be able to show our e-peen at people and that we did trivial things like dying 3 times at the same spot!

FFS, some of you people! Never happy, never fucking happy.

Nice point. I completely forgot about that clock being synced as well in the past. And yeah I can see it being 480Mhz in that case.

What if it was based on an HD4770, but underclocked to 600Mhz ?
It would make it 768GFLOPs, close to the 800GFLOPs Japesy told us.

Gahiggidy

Rösti;38768527 said:

I also noticed that the header image on that site was changed "2012:05:29 22:40:41". Could it have been Nintendo's plan all along to introduce some megaton games at this event instead of E3? It seems to be a rather exclusive event, but we shouldn't get worked up.

Has someone started a countdown?!

----

Boy, its kinda funny that less than a month after E3 regular folks will be playing the same stuff. I'll bet Nintendoland will be the crowd favorite. Pikmin will be misunderstood. :(

StevieP

Banned
The master core has 2MB cache, the slave cores have 512kB each. We don't know what the cores are based on, if it's in- or out-of-order, executions units, bitness - nothing. What we do know is that the only contemporary PowerPC core Nintendo's compiler supports is the 4xx series. And the 470S happens to be a 45nm SoI core, just like the Wii U CPU.

If the 470 series was the case (which I speculated long ago but wasn't entirely sure) then we wouldn't have developers complaining about the CPU, correct?

The 470S is much faster than Xenon in any realistic integer or floating point operations and being out-of-order should make it certain that even at 1.6ghz it would out-perform Xenos in general computing tasks.

^ It's also "VMX gimped". Which would lead to issues with VMX-dependent code. That's part of why it seems logical.

What if it was based on an HD4770, but underclocked to 600Mhz ?
It would make it 768GFLOPs, close to the 800GFLOPs Japesy told us.

Japesy? But yeah I wouldn't rule 600Mhz out either. That's the max clock I expect them to go with.

^ It's also "VMX gimped". Which would lead to issues with VMX-dependent code. That's part of why it seems logical.

Japesy? But yeah I wouldn't rule 600Mhz out either. That's the max clock I expect them to go with.

It's supposed to be a guy working for Nintendo. I think he has been "verified".

Gahiggidy

He said there'd be a Platinum game but I don't know how you verify on IRC as anyone can come in and impersonate their handle.

Rösti;38768527 said:

The date and location for this thing is not jumping out at me. Help?

Eradicate

Nintendo: The Wii U will have system-wide achievements, but they are not mandatory.
People: YOU SUCK NINTENDO, we want to be able to show our e-peen at people and that we did trivial things like dying 3 times at the same spot!

FFS, some of you people! Never happy, never fucking happy.

Haha, the word "friend code" was mentioned once in that Kotaku article, and people all over are dooming Nintendo without even realizing that they haven't read what was said.

No luck guessing the access code yet!

Linkhero1

Really disappointed with Kotaku's report on friendcodes and achievements. I don't care for achievements but I can see why people are upset about it.

It's supposed to be a guy working for Nintendo. I think he has been "verified".

Do you really think someone from Nintendo would actually go on the IRC and give out such information? Plus who verified him and how?

I think so.

Calculating that based on what some of us assume as the possible layout of the GPU, that would put the clock speed at 625MHz. For multiplier purposes (since those are just the early target specs), the DSP could have a slight clock increase to 125Mhz making the GPU's clock 5x the DSP. And on the CPU side you could have a clock speed of 2.5Ghz - 3.125Ghz (4-5x the GPU) to maintain multiplier symmetry. Obviously though, this shouldn't be taken as fact.

Calculating that based on what some of us assume as the possible layout of the GPU, that would put the clock speed at 625MHz. For multiplier purposes (since those are just the early target specs), the DSP could have a slight clock increase to 125Mhz making the GPU's clock 5x the DSP. And on the CPU side you could have a clock speed of 2.5Ghz - 3.125Ghz (4-5x the GPU) to maintain multiplier symmetry. Obviously though, this shouldn't be taken as fact.

Yep, everything here is pure speculation. I'd really like to see Wii U's GPU reach 800GFLOPs. But I think we'll see something more like 400-500GFLOPs. Which would be a bit disappointing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yep, everything here is pure speculation. I'd really like to see Wii U's GPU reach 800GFLOPs. But I think we'll see something more like 400-500GFLOPs. Which would be a bit disappointing.

For perspective, what are the numbers for 360 and PS3.

wsippel

Banned
If the 470 series was the case (which I speculated long ago but wasn't entirely sure) then we wouldn't have developers complaining about the CPU, correct?

The 470S is much faster than Xenon in any realistic integer or floating point operations and being out-of-order should make it certain that even at 1.6ghz it would out-perform Xenos in general computing tasks.
It's good at executing unpredictable code, but not for things like physics or pathfinding.

So glad about the friend code thing even if its not 100% confirmed/explained. There's times that you play with Gaf, friend of a friend comes along on 3DS. Can't add them. Why not?
Because you gotta trade codes like phone numbers.

Even though that was the one thing that
Reggie could actually comment on, not how we can do that, or how easy it is. At least I can have an actual friend list on my system that means something unlike the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom