• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
He's likely referring to the event that Nintendo typically has on their own around TGS time.

I am almost positive there will be a Nintendo World this year. They had one for 3DS launch, it's a safe assumption there will be one for Wii U.

I don't think there was any game announcements at the last one, though...

after that E3 they need to market this console more than ever not that I disagree with you Nintendo did not seem to care that they trolled everyone last week

I know this borders on fanboy optimism, but I got the impression Nintendo is more interested in building momentum over the next few months via Nintendo Direct/Game Announcements than they were about having a blowout E3.

So I'm not alone to be not excited on the re-reveal on Wii U. I know I'll get it at 1 moment but it's not this year. However, I never bought any consoles at launch.

I'm not hyped at all for the PS4/Xbox3. More gun, more violence, more brown games, I saw it this gen with the PS3 and Xbox 360. It's pratically meh at this point.

This new gen is not what I called necessairy. It was for Nintendo to have something else and I don't know now.

That conference was really disappointing. Games that looked worse than what PS3/360 can do at their top. No 2013 games, no killer apps, no Zelda, no real 3D Mario. No price, no launch dates.
And Nintendo Land + Wii Fit U.
And if we're talking about 3rd party, they showed already released games. Only Ubisoft showed AssCreed 3 and 2 exclusive wii u games.
And now, we're seeing that Wii U isn't that powerfull as we thought. We're not even sure it will be a bridge between ps360 and ps4/720.

Tim-E

I'm mostly excited about where I know the Wii U will be in a few years; it will have entries in many of my favorite franchises that I'm sure I'll love. That's pretty much enough to ensure that I'll buy one. Nintendo's strategy of only showing launch window stuff isn't exciting whatsoever, but knowing that teams like Retro, EAD and the other great teams Nintendo has are working on games for it is enough for me, really. I have a never-ending backlog anyway, so it doesn't hurt me to wait.

My 3DS especially keeps me busy nowadays.

MDX

Only thing I can think of with EA is that they are waiting to show their games with two controllers.

Well thats what I said, pointing out that during the conference Nintendo specifically said they ONLY wanted to show games that used a single gamepad. And I got laughed at.

People are still sore that Nintendo didnt show some bigger titles during E3, but I think they did a smart thing. They are giving smaller titles, new franchises, like project P-100, a chance to get noticed. They also want third party titles to sell well. Its not like the console has launched and we are in the middle of a game drought.

The other thing we shouldn't forget, some titles might not have been shown due to external situations. We have rumors that Eternal Darkness2 was being worked on. But then got canceled due to financial and legal problems. This could have been a game Nintendo wanted to show off. The same thing happened with the Wii the year they had that god awe-full conference. Later we heard that Factor5 was supposed to show some titles, but because of legal issues, it all collapsed. And then we got a small glimpse of that Factor5 engine... Imagine if Factor5 did have that game ready for the Wii, things might be a little different now.

Anyway, I think Nintendo is just pacing themselves. Sony and MS have not shown anything that worries Nintendo, so they have time to reveal features and games in incremental stages.

Tim-E

Am I the only one who genuinely doesn't care about specs? Nintendo makes the best of their hardware and can make some great looking games regardless. Nintendo put out some great looking games on the Wii despite its limitations. I've never been one to really care too much about graphics anyway, so knowing that this is a Nintendo console that works in high definition is enough for me.

Eradicate

This week - Thursday and Friday - there's a Wii U demo session for the press, in Paris. I'll be able to test it.

DrWong, that is great! Are you going to both days?

Are you looking for any questions or things to look for as far as trying out the Wii U? Because, you know, I have lots of them!

At the least, I would love, love, love it if you could provide actual good coverage on the controller. How do the sticks feel? Are the shoulder buttons analog or digital? How does everything feel? Does it get smudged easily? Those sorts of things!

I have yet to find a good detailed "feel" for the controller, and since you post here and are going to try it yourself, it would be great if you could look into this stuff! Please?!

That conference was really disappointing. Games that looked worse than what PS3/360 can do at their top. No 2013 games, no killer apps, no Zelda, no real 3D Mario. No price, no launch dates.
And Nintendo Land + Wii Fit U.
And if we're talking about 3rd party, they showed already released games. Only Ubisoft showed AssCreed 3 and 2 exclusive wii u games.
And now, we're seeing that Wii U isn't that powerfull as we thought. We're not even sure it will be a bridge between ps360 and ps4/720.

I mean seriously, I don't even know what to think anymore. At minimum, with their sudden awareness of social networking, they are keenly aware of how dissatisfied people are with their offering so far.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
hmmmm Nintendo Direct is like what a week away?

who won your Bingo? is this why you are reviewing this mess?

Nobody won, even when being lax with the rules by counting Zombi U as Killer Freaks and Platinum's P-100 as part of the Press Conference.

You can check the results here for yourself here...

http://checkboxbingo.com/review.cfm

test_account

XP-39C²
during his drunken meltdown and NEOGAF rant on a late night Bombcast during E3
Thanks. I listened to it now. Is there any truth to it though? He said that Nintendo has less cash now than when they started the Wii cycle. With the R&D for both 3DS and WiiU, i dont think that it is that far fetched actually.

EDIT: Naturally it is possible to make more money with the invested R&D. So it is way too early to say "pissing it away" until we see how the WiiU preforms in the long run.

Any links to this?
http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=313

Pachter joins about 45 minutes in.

Eradicate

REMOVED!

I removed the scan.

Basically, I think Call of Duty will be coming to Wii U...I don't know what I can do to say anything about it other than that, but there you go. (?!)

I mean seriously, I don't even know what to think anymore. At minimum, with their sudden awareness of social networking, they are keenly aware of how dissatisfied people are with their offering so far.

Judging by what's been shown, only, we can't even tell anything. Power wise ? Some people says it's just on par with PS360. About games ? Already released 3rd party games and nothing mind blowing 1st party games.
I hope they're really not thinking of pricing it upper than 299€.

MDX

Im actually excited by Ninja Gaiden again.
Now that it appears the WiiU version is how the game was meant to be.
And the fact it was Nintendo themselves who wanted the dismemberment back in because it was relevant to the gameplay.

screenshot_46475.jpg

players can select different weapons and execute Ninpo, all without having to pause the game, allowing for a much more seamless experience. Team Ninja and Tecmo Koei have promised to reveal more uses for the controller in the upcoming months.

TGS? Or something else?

Eradicate

Careful, magazine scans/images aren't allowed 'round these parts. I'd remove that.

I removed it. Can I link to the story or anything, or should I just call it a lost cause?

Sorry about that!

EDIT: Please have mercy on me if anyone saw that. It was a mistake. No bans! I won't do it again!

Tim-E

I removed it. Can I link to the story or anything, or should I just call it a lost cause?

Sorry about that!

EDIT: Please have mercy on me if anyone saw that. It was a mistake. No bans! I won't do it again!

You can talk about it I believe, I just don't think the actual images can be posted.

As MDX said, do you know which magazine that was supposed to be from?

Eradicate

From which magazine was that?

If it's OK for me to say, it is from Nintendo Power.

It's it's not OK for me to say, warn me quickly as before! This is crazy stuff!

I do have the link from where I found it, but I don't know if I can post that up either!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo Power is as legit as you can get among magazines for Nintendo news. So, I consider it confirmed.

Correction: "Nintendo Gamer" is the magazine.

Don't post the link, Eradicate. The word is out; Nintendo power has a preview for COD:Blops II for Wii U.

-----

Tim-E,

My theory is that in return for Microsoft showcasing it at their conference, Activision agreed to not talk about other platforms during E3.

Tim-E

If it's OK for me to say, it is from Nintendo Power.

It's it's not OK for me to say, warn me quickly as before! This is crazy stuff!

You should be fine. :)

Also, if they're talking about BLOPS 2 in NP, why on earth would Nintendo not even mention it in their press conference? I don't care about the franchise at all, but a lot of people do and it would give people who are worried about third party output some more confidence. With this and the EA Sports stuff, all they'd have to do is just mention it and it would've calmed so many people down last week.

People are still sore that Nintendo didnt show some bigger titles during E3, but I think they did a smart thing. They are giving smaller titles, new franchises, like project P-100, a chance to get noticed.

The conference would have certainly been slightly more bearable if they would have actually shown the game demoed, perhaps even by Platinum Games...

They also want third party titles to sell well.

Although they said that this is one certain aspect they've learned not to do anymore after the 3DS, lol. (Giving 3rd parties too much space and just like with the 3DS, all they offer is old ports)

BD1

Banned
I wonder how/if Activision will integrate ELITE with BLOPs2/Wii U.

There is definitely potential with the MiiVerse/CoD tiles, multi-tasking and the GamePad screen.

Also, if they're talking about BLOPS 2 in NP, why on earth would Nintendo not even mention it in their press conference? I don't care about the franchise at all, but a lot of people do and it would give people who are worried about third party output some more confidence. With this and the EA Sports stuff, all they'd have to do is just mention it and it would've calmed so many people down last week.

I think it was pretty obvious Microsoft paid for E3 "exclusivity" on BLOPs 2.

Effect

Possibly an exclusive if it is indeed about the Wii U version and not just them talking about potential Wii U games and assuming it's coming to the Wii U. Haven't gotten that issue yet. Nintendo Power was suppose to have an exclusive on the new Castlevania game until it was leaked.

Tim-E

I personally hope we see a Guitar Hero-style downfall of the COD franchise soon, but it should attract a good number of eyes to the console before launch.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Didn't Nintendo Power come out a week ago? Are we sure it isn't from another magazine? (doing a quick search I see reference to Nintendo Gamer?)

Eradicate

Thanks Tim-E, Gahiggidy, and MDX for the warnings and such!

The link I have says Nintendo Power, but it is easily possible that it may be something else. It LOOKS like Nintendo Power, but I could be wrong, and I haven't looked at one in a few months. I don't intend on trying to fool anyone or anything, it's just what I found and saw and it said Nintendo Power in the link.

Forgive me if it ends up being stupid!

Tim-E

Thanks Tim-E, Gahiggidy, and MDX for the warnings and such!

The link I have says Nintendo Power, but it is easily possible that it may be something else. It LOOKS like Nintendo Power, but I could be wrong, and I haven't looked at one in a few months. I don't intend on trying to fool anyone or anything, it's just what I found and saw and it said Nintendo Power in the link.

Forgive me if it ends up being stupid!

You're fine! This is a speculation thread, after all. We're just doing our job!

Gahiggidy

Which means it could very well be bullshit. :(

I wonder how/if Activision will integrate ELITE with BLOPs2/Wii U.

There is definitely potential with the MiiVerse/CoD tiles, multi-tasking and the GamePad screen.

I think it was pretty obvious Microsoft paid for E3 "exclusivity" on BLOPs 2.

I don't see that being the case. I think it's more of a case that Treyarch (if they're doing BLOPs2 for WiiU) wasn't ready to show the Gamepad implementations. Especially since they probably split off the demo built a few months ago.

BTW, thanks to those for wishing me well... hope the exam went well.

Nintendo Power is as legit as you can get among magazines for Nintendo news. So, I consider it confirmed.

Don't post the link, Eradicate. The word is out; Nintendo power has a preview for COD:Blops II for Wii U.

-----

Tim-E,

My theory is that in return for Microsoft showcasing it at their conference, Activision agreed to not talk about other platforms during E3.

so who's creating the thread..

The master core has 2MB cache, the slave cores have 512kB each. We don't know what the cores are based on, if it's in- or out-of-order, executions units, bitness - nothing. What we do know is that the only contemporary PowerPC core Nintendo's compiler supports is the 4xx series. And the 470S happens to be a 45nm SoI core, just like the Wii U CPU.

470 huh. :)
dancedancedance

Gahiggidy

so who's creating the thread..

Don't bother, it doesn't seem a reputable source. I mean, they used the leaked image of the new controller as a basis for their cover (the placeholder NFC square is present).

This is probably a case of GAF > Magazine Editor > GAF.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No amount of gore can save Ninja Gaiden 3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At the end, it says that Wii U pad use ( as well as sandbox elements ) are for next issue. Maybe, not so a prank, if they promise more details for next issue...

DrWong

DrWong, that is great! Are you going to both days?

Are you looking for any questions or things to look for as far as trying out the Wii U? Because, you know, I have lots of them!

At the least, I would love, love, love it if you could provide actual good coverage on the controller. How do the sticks feel? Are the shoulder buttons analog or digital? How does everything feel? Does it get smudged easily? Those sorts of things!

I have yet to find a good detailed "feel" for the controller, and since you post here and are going to try it yourself, it would be great if you could look into this stuff! Please?!
I'll just test it for 2 hours at max. Too much work for me this week to take an entire day. I'll try to post my impressions here, with my limited English skills.

Eradicate

I don't know anything about that magazine, but I'm not from Europe. It is published by the same company that publishes ONM and EDGE and runs CVG, and it's been around for quite a while. I just don't know enough about it.

Eradicate

I'm a cake, I'm a cake! I'll even eat cake today for penance!

I'll just test it for 2 hours at max. Too much work for me this week to take an entire day. I'll try to post my impressions here, with my limited English skills.

Thank you very much DrWong, that would be very appreciated! I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

MDX

No amount of gore can save Ninja Gaiden 3.

More than just gore, the dismemberment was a gameplay mechanic.
Taking it out gimped the game.

Not to mention there are other improvements:

New Weapons and Ninpo Types – Exclusive to the Wii U version, the game includes six weapon types and three Ninpo types, allowing for greater game-play variation and deeper strategy.

Character/Weapon Progression System – Using the Karma points earned during game play, a player can upgrade his weapons and Ninpo and increase the character HP level.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know anything about that magazine, but I'm not from Europe. It is published by the same company that publishes ONM and EDGE and runs CVG, and it's been around for quite a while. I just don't know enough about it.

Ok, so Future Publishing IIRC. It SHOULD be reliable. Still, I would wait to open the th *sees someone has already opened it* No, nothing. XD

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
More than just gore, the dismemberment was a gameplay mechanic.
Taking it out gimped the game.

Not to mention there are other improvements:

I'll believe it when I see it. Ninja Gaiden 3 was a dreadful game in every conceivable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom