• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

yeah but that's xbox

fuck xbox

i'm used to Nintendo consoles having awesome launches. And while Wii U's isn't bad... nothing about it gets me excited like a Twilight Princess or a Smash Bros Melee.

Wii had a bunch of ports, bad original games, and Excite Truck at launch. It wasn't much different. Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron, Super Monkey Ball, and a bunch of ports at launch.

It's just how console launches are. The Wii U launch is fine, it's just that we're used to hearing about what comes after launch and they're just keeping quiet about that right now. I think it being so long since our last console release we've forgotten how poor they usually are.

For everyone who is feeling down a bit with the games announced so far - remember this?

boxshots.jpg

Ports, sports games, bad sequels and games that barely look better than Xbox ones.
This system also launched a year before its competition.

I would say there is very little to worry about. :)

So, because 360's launch being average to bad should excuse WiiU's one ?

Linkhero1

N64 probably had the best launch. Super Mario 64. Can't get any better than that.

Should open your eyes on how much better Wii U launch really is.

NSMBU
Pikmin 3
ZombiU
Rayman Legends

etc. etc.

Roman

Wii had a bunch of ports, bad original games, and Excite Truck at launch. It wasn't much different. Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron, Super Monkey Ball, and a bunch of ports at launch.

It's just how console launches are. The Wii U launch is fine, it's just that we're used to hearing about what comes after launch and they're just keeping quiet about that right now.

That and we don't even know the full extent of the launch lineup yet and know for a fact they hold some major cards back for next year when the competition arrives.

In addition, the 3rd party support is vehemently more positive than in 2006.

It's not supposed to excuse anything. It's supposed to give perspective.

Tim-E

Most console launches are average to bad. Don't be surprised if most launch titles are crappy ports and games that hardly take advantage of what the hardware is capable of.

Eradicate

Fits my proposed September launch like a glove, though!

Rösti;38768201 said:
Remember, some reputable sources (Fubon Research/Lingsen) have stated that Wii U WILL launch Q3 (1st of July to the 30th of September) this year. It contradicts what Nintendo has said regarding launch as "holiday" has been referenced though, but you never know.

https://fubonresearch.fbs.com.tw/FILE/17223.pdf

I suppose Nintendo could bring back the Nintendo Fusion Tour for Wii U promoting, though that started in September when it was held most recently in 2006.

I missed all of this I think when the B3D news came about. Would starting this tour now in June point to a console release before November?

I don't know...I'm just guessing, but I think something cool will be revealed on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Nothing super huge or large, but something. Jimmy Fallon has a certain audience I think Nintendo would target, Jimmy Fallon is a big gaming fan, and Reggie talked about Wii U last year.

And yeah, we just didn't get to hear any farther out in the Wii U lineup than the debut period.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, from what I'm gathering here, we still don't know if CPU is weaker than PS360 or not, but it seems GPU is basically next gen ready, so a good news in the end?

N64 probably had the best launch. Super Mario 64. Can't get any better than that.

Should open your eyes on how much better Wii U launch really is.

NSMBU
Pikmin 3
ZombiU
Rayman Legends

etc. etc.

Pikmin 3 is not for day one I think but launch window.

Most console launches are average to bad. Don't be surprised if most launch titles are crappy ports and games that hardly take advantage of what the hardware is capable of.

I know that, but I'd really like to see what Wii U can do. And Nintendo failed to show this.

Anth0ny

It's just how console launches are. The Wii U launch is fine, it's just that we're used to hearing about what comes after launch and they're just keeping quiet about that right now.

All I expect from launch is one GREAT game that I can keep going back to for a while, if not the entire gen (and beyond). Nintendo has been doing this until now:

NES- Super Mario Bros
SNES- Super Mario World
N64- Super Mario 64
GC- Super Smash Bros Melee
Wii- Twilight Princess
Wii U- ???

and while I can't pass final judgement on Pikmin and Mario until I play them, I'm not sure if those titles are quite on the same level as the games above.

only time will tell.

bgassassin said:
It's also strange that the partial release list has some games listed as launch window, while others say holiday. If the console is launching in November, you would think there would be no reason to have two listings like that at the same time.
Assuming a November launch, I'd take "holiday" to mean November+December, and "launch window" to mean January+February, going to that 3-4 month limit.

They've said the system itself launches in "holiday", so anything much before November doesn't seem likely.

Azure J

OK so casual perusing of this thread reveals to me that Nintendo went with a better GPU than CPU comparatively and the features of said GPU will be the defacto element in determining how much better certain elements of the system is versus the current crop of consoles. Am I right so far?

Based on this though, I feel as though Nintendo straddles a very finicky line currently. They have to move with the swiftness during this year period to get developers on board and making games for the system/creating a healthy development ecosystem so that when Majin Vegita and SSJ3 Goku start going at it, they can still have a presence and not get relegated to side character. No one's going to put in effort for a Yamcha. :p

clemenx

Banned
Yup, can't ask for much more. Vita and 3DS launches were bad as well. I think Wii U launch looks good actually...

I bought a DS at launch and the games available were, Polarium SM64DS, Kirby Canvas Course, Yoshi Touch and Go, Feel the Magic: XY/XX and Wario Ware Touched xD I may be forgetting something but it was that bad. I survived with Kirby and Polarium until Mario Kart came out and DS software exploded afterwards.

So, from what I'm gathering here, we still don't know if CPU is weaker than PS360 or not, but it seems GPU is basically next gen ready, so a good news in the end?

Yes. I'm pleasantly surprised by the info, but I guess that's also because everything was pointing to the CPU being the problem anyway.

Assuming a November launch, I'd take "holiday" to mean November+December, and "launch window" to mean January+February, going to that 3-4 month limit.

They've said the system itself launches in "holiday", so anything much before November doesn't seem likely.

Good point. I didn't look at it from that angle.

Sadist

Oh man... I can't believe it's been almost six years since the Wii launched. And I can't believe I'll be buying my last Wii game later this month before spending my money elsewhere.

Oh your question said GPU. It can be multi-threaded and still achieve that. Actually that wasn't speculation. Lherre said last year it has 2 threads per core. The person I got the PS4 specs said the same.

Thanks for the clarification. That's why I don't know why people are freaking out. Could be true, could not be, who knows.

Wii U situation is hilarious (in a good way). Day 1 for me....and for you (you know it XD )

If it's $249, definitely.(it won't be)

EVIL

All I expect from launch is one GREAT game that I can keep going back to for a while, if not the entire gen (and beyond). Nintendo has been doing this until now:

NES- Super Mario Bros
SNES- Super Mario World
N64- Super Mario 64
GC- Super Smash Bros Melee
Wii- Twilight Princess
Wii U- NintendoLand TROLOLOLOL

and while I can't pass final judgement on Pikmin and Mario until I play them, I'm not sure if those titles are quite on the same level as the games above.

only time will tell.

if Nintendoland is a pack in, there isn't a first party system seller game atm. I hope there will be some announcements 26th of june

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
if Nintendoland is a pack in, there isn't a first party system seller game atm. I hope there will be some announcements 26th of june

Huh? I'm a bit skeptical of NSMB U, but that is a system seller, for sure. Biggest one Nintendo has, arguably (maybe Mario Kart)

Mpl90

What about NSBU. You know, that game which sells more than what Gamecube sold in its entire life...

stupidvillager

Neo Member
Is going the GPGPU route really worth with such a modest GPU? The 400gflops range? Would it make that kuch of a difference. I know the GPUs can be more efficient in running some things but thats the extent of my knowledge. But why go for a weaker then Xenon CPU, why not the same level and also a GPGPU.

schuelma

That is my complete non expert take on what the experts are saying.

Tim-E

New Super Mario Bros. has sold 18+ million as of March 2009.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold more than 25+ million as of April 2011.

This series is a system seller. To say otherwise is absolutely silly.

BlackJace

So, are the friend codes going to be like the numerical identifiers in the Battle.net tags?

For example, would my username be BlackJace#12373?

Doesn't seem so bad really.

EVIL

What about NSBU. You know, that game which sells more than what Gamecube sold in its entire life...

that one isnt a launch game is it? only launch window.
I am talking more like, a game at launch, that is massive, and NSMB isnt a launch title as far as I am aware

edit: even worse, NSMBU is set for a holiday release

I am sure its a system seller, but not one at launch

rpmurphy

So I heard from a coworker (not gamer) that she heard about Wii U on NPR chatter. Word is getting around, I suppose. Maybe there will be a solid start for the system this holiday season.

schuelma

that one isnt a launch game is it? only launch window.

No, I think NSMB U is all but confirmed as launch- it is Pikmin that might slip into launch window land.

Tim-E

So, are the friend codes going to be like the numerical identifiers in the Battle.net tags?

For example, would my username be BlackJace#12373?

Doesn't seem so bad really.

That's what it sounds like. People didn't complain when Blizzard did it, but when Nintendo does it's "omgz Nintendo duzn't understand internet welcome to 1999!"

Mpl90

So I heard from a coworker (not gamer) that she heard about Wii U on NPR chatter. Word is getting around, I suppose. Maybe there will be a solid start for the system this holiday season.

Well, Wii U likes on Facebook's official page are growing pretty fast.

Is going the GPGPU route really worth with such a modest GPU? The 400gflops range? Would it make that kuch of a difference. I know the GPUs can be more efficient in running some things but thats the extent of my knowledge. But why go for a weaker then Xenon CPU, why not the same level and also a GPGPU.

That's the problem ! I can't see how they're trying to help a weak CPU with a weak GPU.

Mpl90

Seeing how this performs next to the 3DS one is going to be interesting :)

Seeing also how last Mario games are doing ( especially 3D Land), I don't think NSMB2 will suffer from some fatigue. Absolutely. And neither NSMBU.

If anything it suggests the GPU to be decent instead of weak.

Roman

Seeing also how last Mario games are doing ( especially 3D Land), I don't think NSMB2 will suffer from some fatigue. Absolutely. And neither NSMBU.

3DLand is not to be compared to the potential sales of an actual 2D Mario game. 3DLand was the attempt to unite Miyamoto's desires to make 3D Mario games and Iwata's (for simplicity's sake) pressure to include 2D Mario elements (flagpoles instead of stars, permanent power-ups).

Honestly if I had any say in Nintendo's release schedule I would have released NSMB2 instead of 3DLand. It would have avoided the unfavorable comparisons between 2 and U this E3.

2D Mario is an evergreen system seller. Releasing it at console launch is a no-brainer (and they will). It is the initial killer app alongside Nintendo Land no matter how indifferent people on this message board are.

Yep. Probably a 600-800 range guesstimate.

So that Ubisoft guy saying that the Wii GPU is 1.5x the 360 GPU is wrong? (which works out to around 360-400)

3DLand is not to be compared to the potential sales of an actual 2D Mario game. 3DLand was the attempt to unite Miyamoto's desires to make 3D Mario games and Iwata's (for simplicity's sake) pressure to include 2D Mario elements (flagpoles instead of stars, permanent power-ups).

If that's true, I hope Iwata stfu about 3D Mario on the Wii U.

I still just want to know what Retro is working on.

I'd like to know what anyone but the internal EAD is working on, doesn't have to be Retro specifically.
I really do not care in the slightest about this ,,outdated-tech!'' talk, whatsoever. I really just wanted to see some proper games and I would have been there at launch without hesitation.

Eradicate

Ubisoft is confident with Wii U

Guillemot said he was confident that the demand for the Wii U will be strong. He said he expects Nintendo to manufacture 5 million units in the first six months of its launch.

"Generally, that's what (Nintendo) does. The number can be more, it can be less... they are always limited in the number that they can build," Guillemot said.

Nintendo said that it expects to sell 10.5 million units of both the Wii and Wii U this holiday season but has not broken out how many Wii U devices will be shipped.

Just saw this not too long ago. I didn't know how many consoles they were planning on making. This is a guess, sure, but I never knew a figure.

EVIL

No, I think NSMB U is all but confirmed as launch- it is Pikmin that might slip into launch window land.

I was pretty damn sure it was listed as holiday

okay, so none of what I said was true, new lesson, don't listen to me.. ever ;)

I would rather have a full 3d mario at launch tho. perfect for showing off the systems capabilities. I mean mario galaxy did things with pretty shaders I havent seen any other game do on the system.

Nibel

Agreed, 3D Land legs are crazy. Can't wait for the MC thread when 3DS 2D Mario hits the shelves

schuelma

I was pretty damn sure it was listed as holiday

okay, so none of what I said was true, new lesson, don't listen to me.. ever ;)

I would rather have a full 3d mario at launch tho. perfect for showing off the systems capabilities. I mean mario galaxy did things with pretty shaders I havent seen any other game do on the system.

I think there are 2 designations for first party titles Nintendo is using- Launch Window and Holiday. Given they have said Wii U is launching during the holiday's, I think Holiday titles are most likely launch.

Tim-E

I think there are 2 designations for first party titles Nintendo is using- Launch Window and Holiday. Given they have said Wii U is launching during the holiday's, I think Holiday titles are most likely launch.

Yep. I think this is a safe assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom