• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are tech-people considering PS4/720 at the moment? :)

Edit:
thx for your efforts @ bgassassin and wsippel.

1-1.8 TFLOPs

PS4 is currently on the high-end of that. Xbox 3 is still not completely known.

So that Ubisoft guy saying that the Wii GPU is 1.5x the 360 GPU is wrong? (which works out to around 360-400)

I wouldn't say he's necessarily wrong especially considering this new info. Since the idea of Wii U seems to be the importance of the GPGPU abilities. So putting all the work on the CPU (beyond what we've talked about in the past dealing with the I/O and DSP), there's only so much you'll be able to get out of the GPU since the CPU is in a position where it can't "push" the GPU. To look at it another way the CPU would say to the GPU, "Help me, help you". As it stands right now it looks like most launch games aren't designed for that kind of reliance between the CPU and GPU.

So if it is in the 600-800 range, would that be just enough to overcome the weak CPU and be back to square 1 or would it really help out once everything and everyone is optimized for GPGPU coding.

The latter. See my response to GG.

BD1

Banned
Objectively, the Wii U launch lineup is stellar. There is Mario, a new "core" IP, big third party games (CoD/Madden/AC 3), big time kids titles (Lego, Skylanders), a solid mix of third party games and the spiritual successor to Wii Sports (Nintendo Land).

But it lacks the sexy "gamers" game from Nintendo itself, which I think is driving a lot of the sour feelings right now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
More Activision acting extremely coy

In our meeting with Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia, it was apparent that Treyarch is looking at Wii U at least, if the company isn't already developing for it. Lamia was deliberately coy.

"I think it's interesting to think about all the platforms. Just in general, that's part of my job as a studio head, working with Activision on assessing where our creative can live. How can people experience it? We obviously have been a Nintendo developer for many years and have created many Call of Duty games on the Nintendo platform. [Wii U] is clearly a more powerful platform than its predecessor and... they have obviously a unique controller and interface," he said.

Lamia added, "And they announced a Pro Controller which appears to be a controller that would be really good for first person shooter games. It just so happens that's what we specialize in. So that's an interesting development and then they have that touch display device and you think about the kinds of things you might be able to do and - without getting into specifics - I absolutely have given it consideration and thought. We're game developers and it's a new piece of hardware and technology, so we're always thinking about that stuff."

As we pressed Lamia, he fully admitted, "It's difficult to say because it's something we're not talking about. I'm intentionally being elusive because we're not talking about it!"

Roman

But it lacks the sexy "gamers" game from Nintendo itself, which I think is driving a lot of the sour feelings right now.

Pikmin 3 is that in their eyes. They don't expect it to sell a ton, they just release it because people have been asking for it for half a decade.

They are making big games for their major franchises (and whatever Retro is making), but decided against showing them off for now.

Tim-E

More Activision acting extremely coy

In our meeting with Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia, it was apparent that Treyarch is looking at Wii U at least, if the company isn't already developing for it. Lamia was deliberately coy.

"I think it's interesting to think about all the platforms. Just in general, that's part of my job as a studio head, working with Activision on assessing where our creative can live. How can people experience it? We obviously have been a Nintendo developer for many years and have created many Call of Duty games on the Nintendo platform. [Wii U] is clearly a more powerful platform than its predecessor and... they have obviously a unique controller and interface," he said.

Lamia added, "And they announced a Pro Controller which appears to be a controller that would be really good for first person shooter games. It just so happens that's what we specialize in. So that's an interesting development and then they have that touch display device and you think about the kinds of things you might be able to do and - without getting into specifics - I absolutely have given it consideration and thought. We're game developers and it's a new piece of hardware and technology, so we're always thinking about that stuff."

As we pressed Lamia, he fully admitted, "It's difficult to say because it's something we're not talking about. I'm intentionally being elusive because we're not talking about it!"

I think, as discussed earlier, Microsoft must have some E3-exclusive agreement with them or something. Either that, or they're waiting to do some sort of event with Nintendo to show off the Wii U version of the game.

Sadist

Did someone post this yet?

Activision has never been one to throw its support behind new platforms right away, Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg reminded us. "We take out time to get our ducks in a row before pulling any trigger. We don't have announcements today but we will be supporting Wii U," he said.

Oh beaten hard lol

Roman

I think, as discussed earlier, Microsoft must have some E3-exclusive agreement with them or something. Either that, or they're waiting to do some sort of event with Nintendo to show off the Wii U version of the game.

It seems to me all the major online heavy 3rd party games are either under NDA or just not shown yet because we don't have a firm grasp on how the Wii U's online is going to work.

None of the EA sports games were at E3, no Call of Duty, no re-showing of Ghost Recon...

How serious is kamiya with this project, i mean there is no realistic art direction. It must be done by the D team and flop in flames. Im confident western mainstream press not even understanding it being anything beyond those grazy japanes tv shows. Is it ?

As soon as I heard that P-100 was the game Kamiya worked on I was disappointed and I can kinda see why some people are digging on it (irrational trolling aside). The guy who made Bayonetta gets his first Wii U project and decides to make a campy, cartoony looking Pikmin style strategy-action game with little bobble head people running around? Don't get me wrong, the game looks fun but it's irritating how some 3rd party directors like Kamiya immediately think they have to shoehorn their project's themes and presentation into a lighthearted, kid friendly mold just because it's on a Nintendo console. People may be rightly excited about P-100 but IMHO it's also a disappointing indicator for the preset prejudices and mindsets many devs have against Nintendo and their customers.

Yeah, it seems Nintendo is playing a different game of cards

From Shane at GT.TV

https://twitter.com/Dinfire/status/212262112930697216

After his big juicy tease about the launch being "surprisingly good" I'm not taking anything Satterfield says seriously at this point. Dude's just trying to get some quick attention on the side.

Penguin

After his big juicy tease about the launch being "surprisingly good" I'm not taking anything he says seriously at this point. Dude's just trying to get some quick attention on the side.

On paper, the launch line-up is surprisingly strong...

But I guess each person has their own expectations.

Roman

Don't get me wrong, the game looks fun but it's irritating how some 3rd party directors like Kamiya immediately think they have to shoehorn their project's themes and presentation into a lighthearted, kid friendly mold just because it's on a Nintendo console. People may be rightly excited about P-100 but IMHO it's also a disappointing indicator for the preset prejudices and mindsets many devs have against Nintendo and their customers.

Why are you assuming this? Kamiya seems extremely proud of this project and doesn't hold anything back.

Instro

As soon as I heard that P-100 was the game Kamiya worked on I was disappointed and I can kinda see why some people are digging on it (irrational trolling aside). The guy who made Bayonetta gets his first Wii U project and decides to make a campy, cartoony looking Pikmin style strategy-action game with little bobble head people running around? Don't get me wrong, the game looks fun but it's irritating how some 3rd party directors like Kamiya immediately think they have to shoehorn their project's themes and presentation into a lighthearted, kid friendly mold just because it's on a Nintendo console. People may be rightly excited about P-100 but IMHO it's also a disappointing indicator for the preset prejudices and mindsets many devs have against Nintendo and their customers.

I'm not sure why you would think something like this, Kamiya has always directed these kinds of games. Have you not played Veiwtiful Joe or Okami? Those were the games he was working on for 5-6 years before he did Bayonetta. Hell one of his first Capcom games was some cartoony puzzle game. Kamiya is not the type of person to make something he does not want to make, he has probably been shopping this idea around for a while and Nintendo were the ones that bit. The idea that he is only making this style of game because its for a Nintendo console is ridiculous.

On paper, the launch line-up is surprisingly strong...

But I guess each person has their own expectations.

Don't get me wrong, it's very solid for a Nintendo launch. Not only are we getting Pikmin (launch window), it's the first home Nintendo home console in 16 years to release a Mario game on launch day which alone is something to be excited about. I was more referring to AAA 3rd party content/surprises.

edit: btw, always loved your Mario-Batman avatars. NSMBU with a Batman suit unlocked when it detects your Arkham save file would be amazing. lol

EVIL said:
edit: even worse, NSMBU is set for a holiday release

I am sure its a system seller, but not one at launch
schuelma said:
No, I think NSMB U is all but confirmed as launch- it is Pikmin that might slip into launch window land.
NSMBU and the Wii U itself are both "holiday". Pikmin 3 is "launch window". No games explicitly say launch day.

Dr.Hadji

Its funny how you say this after the hissy fit people threw (still?) over Bayonetta's art design. Yes P-100 is pitched at the perceived Nintendo audience but so was Viewtiful Joe. Being part of Nintendo's audience I can't help but think that the reason I much prefer Joe to DMC, Bayo ect. is because it was aimed in my direction. And if it weren't for Nintendo I doubt we would see people like Kamiya explore his more light hearted ideas without them being on a mobile device.

Thraktor

I go away for an hour to see Apple's new scheme to take all my money, and all of a sudden everyone thinks the Wii U's got an overclocked Broadway in it. Allow me to quote myself from a few pages back:

We know that partially optimized audio middleware performs at least as well on the Wii U's CPU as on Xenon.

This is a fact, from the developer's own release notes. It's not a vague statement from someone who may or may not be the janitor for a legal firm which does some work for a developer. We don't know much about the CPU, but we know it isn't substantially less powerful than Xenon in real-world terms.

I may as well make a few comments on the CPU and GPU tech from this past gen. In this past gen, both Sony and MS went for in-order, high-clock, small cache CPUs with many threads and poor IPC. If there's one thing in-order, high-clock, small cache CPUs with many threads and poor IPC are good at, it's physics. If there's one thing they're bad at, it's pretty much everything else. The thing about this coming generation is that, as some have already mentioned, a lot of physics work is going to be offloaded to the GPU, and there's no point sticking in another CPU like we had last gen when it's not even going to be doing the main thing it's good at.

There's also the problem that both Sony and MS this gen simply had too powerful CPUs relative to their GPUs. The PS3 is an obvious example of this, where the most impressive games had many of the SPEs doing graphical work. Sony would have been much better served with a more modest CPU, and spending the money on a more powerful GPU instead. It's true to a lesser extent for the XBox 360, but still the case that the console was balanced too heavily towards the CPU.

We've already seen the change in strategy with the leaked specs for the PS4. Here we've got a CPU which is actually less powerful in raw flops terms than the PS3's Cell, but a much better fit for the console. I wouldn't be surprised if MS take the same route with the next XBox, and go for an out-of-order CPU with a good size cache, instead of chasing clock-speeds (although this may depend on how they're approaching BC).

Its funny how you say this after the hissy fit people threw (still?) over Bayonetta's art design. Yes P-100 is pitched at the perceived Nintendo audience but so was Viewtiful Joe. Being part of Nintendo's audience I can't help but think that the reason I much prefer Joe to DMC, Bayo ect. is because it was aimed in my direction. And if it weren't for Nintendo I doubt we would see people like Kamiya explore his more light hearted ideas without them being on a mobile device.

I never played Bayonetta so I'm not familiar with peoples' gripes regarding its art style. Anyways, good points and I love VJ too but I still wanted to see something that looked a little more dark/serious.

1-1.8 TFLOPs

PS4 is currently on the high-end of that. Xbox 3 is still know completely known.
Even with WiiU at 400 GFlops and PS4 at 2 TFlops its "just" 5x more.

"Just" if you compare Wii and PS3 with this.

Optimistically, it's like 2.5x more.

All in all, this doesn't seem too bad for me. And with the latest News we could expect 3rd Parties to support the Wii U with PS4/720 - multigames.

But lets see.

Rösti;38777554 said:
Yeah. Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, Project P-100 and Wii Fit U are "launch window".

http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32012/WiiU/WiiU_Upcoming_Games_List_E312.pdf

NSMBU and the Wii U itself are both "holiday". Pikmin 3 is "launch window". No games explicitly say launch day.

Wrong, Pikmin is launch window but Mario is officially confirmed by Iwata as launch day. From the E3 conference thread:

Iwata says in the Iwata Asks for NSMB U that "it's a launch title" and that "it launches with the console." That's pretty clear.

http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/Iwata-Asks-Wii-New-Super-Mario-Bros-U

Anth0ny

If we actually only get NSMB and Nintendo Land on launch day, I hope they throw a few Gamecube games on the virtual console for us. Mario Sunshine and/or Wind Waker would last me a while. Didn't they release Mario 64 on launch day for the Wii?

wsippel

Banned

All in all, this doesn't seem too bad for me. And with the latest News we could expect 3rd Parties to support the Wii U with PS4/720 - multigames.

But lets see.
Your worst case scenario might be pretty close to the truth I think. If it is, the systems would be much, much closer than they are this gen. So close that some developers might actually lead on Wii U (720@30) and simply do 1080@60 up-ports on PS4 and Xbox3.

I go away for an hour to see Apple's new scheme to take all my money, and all of a sudden everyone thinks the Wii U's got an overclocked Broadway in it. Allow me to quote myself from a few pages back:

This is a fact, from the developer's own release notes. It's not a vague statement from someone who may or may not be the janitor for a legal firm which does some work for a developer. We don't know much about the CPU, but we know it isn't substantially less powerful than Xenon in real-world terms.

I may as well make a few comments on the CPU and GPU tech from this past gen. In this past gen, both Sony and MS went for in-order, high-clock, small cache CPUs with many threads and poor IPC. If there's one thing in-order, high-clock, small cache CPUs with many threads and poor IPC are good at, it's physics. If there's one thing they're bad at, it's pretty much everything else. The thing about this coming generation is that, as some have already mentioned, a lot of physics work is going to be offloaded to the GPU, and there's no point sticking in another CPU like we had last gen when it's not even going to be doing the main thing it's good at.

There's also the problem that both Sony and MS this gen simply had too powerful CPUs relative to their GPUs. The PS3 is an obvious example of this, where the most impressive games had many of the SPEs doing graphical work. Sony would have been much better served with a more modest CPU, and spending the money on a more powerful GPU instead. It's true to a lesser extent for the XBox 360, but still the case that the console was balanced too heavily towards the CPU.

We've already seen the change in strategy with the leaked specs for the PS4. Here we've got a CPU which is actually less powerful in raw flops terms than the PS3's Cell, but a much better fit for the console. I wouldn't be surprised if MS take the same route with the next XBox, and go for an out-of-order CPU with a good size cache, instead of chasing clock-speeds (although this may depend on how they're approaching BC).
Lol

Funny how some of the unimpressive results that make people call the Wii U a beefed up current gen Sony/MS console seem actually to be growing pains due to design differences making it more like a junior next gen Sony/MS console. If they'd not bothered with this GPGPU stuff or other newer features we'd probably be able to have more impressive launch ports but the advantages wouldn't last.

If we actually only get NSMB and Nintendo Land on launch day, I hope they throw a few Gamecube games on the virtual console for us. Mario Sunshine and/or Wind Waker would last me a while. Didn't they release Mario 64 on launch day for the Wii?
Yep. SMS usng analog shoulders for FLUDD, though, so wouldn't be a perfect fit for Wii U.

StevieP

Banned
Japesy is verified, no question.

Explain

Your worst case scenario might be pretty close to the truth I think. If it is, the systems would be much, much closer than they are this gen. So close that some developers might actually lead on Wii U (720@30) and simply do 1080@60 up-ports on PS4 and Xbox3.

How are you this optimistic?
Especially since we're talking about third party publishers, which have shown an incredible level of ineptitude this gen.

Did you see the key thing from the discussion? Supposedly the issue with Wii U is that the GPGPU capabilities aren't being used for the most part. This bodes well for the future if this is the case.

But lets see.

Man I made an ugly post. I'm assuming you understood that was supposed to be "not" instead of "know".

Funny how some of the unimpressive results that make people call the Wii U a beefed up current gen Sony/MS console seem actually to be growing pains due to design differences making it more like a junior next gen Sony/MS console. If they'd not bothered with this GPGPU stuff or other newer features we'd probably be able to have more impressive launch ports but the advantages wouldn't last.

Yep.

wsippel

Banned
How are you this optimistic?
Especially since we're talking about third party publishers, which have shown an incredible level of ineptitude this gen.
I'm not optimistic at all. When I wrote "some developers", that's exactly what I meant. You know, companies like Capcom, who have no problem with porting some PSP and 3DS games to PS3 without touched up graphics. I don't expect it to become the norm, and I think it's something mostly Japanese devs and publishers would do. Do you honestly think a game like Disgaea or Atelier will ever require a beefy CPU? There will be tons of games that won't push PS4 at all, and those are the games suited for a Wii U lead/ PS4 up-port scenario. Depending on how well the systems sell of course.

who is he/she?
Some say his skin has the texture of a dolphin's, and that wherever you are in the world, if you tune your radio to 88.4, you can actually hear his thoughts... Some say he can swim seven lengths under water, and he has webbed buttocks... Some say that he has no understanding of clouds, and that his ear wax tastes like Turkish delight...

All we know is, he's called Japesy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, summing the last pages of tech talk, not only Wii U has a next gen ready GPU, but we're having more and more "confirmations" that the difference will be much less than last gen. If so, today has been good, absolutely not bad.

So, summing the last pages of tech talk, not only Wii U has a next gen ready GPU, but we're having more and more "confirmations" that the difference will be much less than last gen. If so, today has been good, absolutely not bad.
Its been a great day......

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm not optimistic at all. When I wrote "some developers", that's exactly what I meant. You know, companies like Capcom, who have no problem with porting some PSP and 3DS games to PS3 without touched up graphics. I don't expect it to become the norm, and I think it's something mostly Japanese devs and publishers would do. Do you honestly think a game like Disgaea or Atelier will ever require a beefy CPU? There will be tons of games that won't push PS4 at all, and those are the games suited for a Wii U lead/ PS4 up-port scenario. Depending on how well the systems sell of course.

This fits in nicely with my solid Japanese support theory.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just random thought,

I think they have two good games that they could have make for Wii U and show off their powers in GamePad.

LoZ: Wind Waker HD - They could input GamePad in the game to expand camera system and side quest.

Pokemon Snap 2 - They sold first very well, and many people apparently want sequel if I remember correctly. GamePad is perfect for this game, tfbh.

Also They should include new feature in Mario Galaxy 3, where they could use GamePad feature to searching for hidden coins (Purple, Black or Dark Blue) as one of optional coins; like Green Coins.

There are many potential usage for GamePad and I hope they use it wisely.

Eradicate

Some say his skin has the texture of a dolphin's, and that wherever you are in the world, if you tune your radio to 88.4, you can actually hear his thoughts... Some say he can swim seven lengths under water, and he has webbed buttocks... Some say that he has no understanding of clouds, and that his ear wax tastes like Turkish delight...

All we know is, he's called Japesy.

image.php

wsippel

Banned

Wwise is still a very specific piece of middleware, with very specific requirements. It's absolutely possible that the Wii U is really good at what Audiokinetic needs, but pretty bad at other workloads like physics or something. That's something I didn't take into account a few months ago, as I expected the system to be pretty close to a 360. Now it seems that it's rather different.

guit3457

Really?....I want to believe....

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Its been a great day......

Really?....I want to believe....

...Ops, I didn't put the question mark in there. I wanted to ask if what I said was the truth. XD

Let's ask it correctly.

So, summing the last pages of tech talk, not only Wii U has a next gen ready GPU, but we're having more and more "confirmations" that the difference will be much less than last gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom