• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks EC, still, scary how many guesses ended up being correct.

Like one, maybe two? And even then they were easy 'guesses'. The rest was either already known or just flat out wrong. This is one of those rumours that came from some nobody sitting in their bedroom making thing sup.

Nibel

Nintendo Land..

That is maybe one of the weirdest titles of all time. At E3 2012, everybody thought that Nintendo is crazy for releasing such a game.

And now what? Almost every impression I read on that game has been positive, but not just positive like "Yeah, game is gud" - more like "This is fucking fun, man!".

Asymmetrical gameplay could be more than a buzzword it seems and that's a good thing. I think it's too early too call it a sleeper hit, but I won't underestimate it. Local multiplayer is just the best thing. I can see me and my buddies playing this instead of Halo or something.

JordanN

Banned
I want to brush this off as fake, but for the time it was said, a lot of it is turning out to be true.

Crytek and EA working on the WiiU
Triggers not analog
ZombiU releasing after launch
Having an achievement system
supports UE4 (though we all knew this already)
Just Dance 4
Actually, the rumor didn't say ZombiU, it says Killer Freaks (which got scrapped). To be fair though, this could of taken place before the change (assuming it's true).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Like I said, I'm sure Nintendo Land is fun. Nintendo is pretty swell at making enjoyable party/mini-game compilations. Better than most.

It's just absolutely baffling to me how backwards the game is in terms of what people imagine when they think 'theme park'. It's like a culmination of all Nintendo's silly conservationism and archaic thinking.

I do wonder if they'll bother bundling it in.

jerd

Nintendo Land..

That is maybe one of the weirdest titles of all time. At E3 2012, everybody thought that Nintendo is crazy for releasing such a game.

And now what? Almost every impression I read on that game has been positive, but not just positive like "Yeah, game is gud" - more like "This is fucking fun, man!".

Asymmetrical gameplay could be more than a buzzword it seems and that's a good thing. I think it's too early too call it a sleeper hit, but I won't underestimate it. Local multiplayer is just the best thing. I can see me and my buddies playing this instead of Halo or something.

Speaking of, is online functionality something they can add in an update?

Nintendo Land..

Which is what I've been saying for a while. Show me one bad hands-on experience report.

I want to brush this off as fake, but for the time it was said, a lot of it is turning out to be true.

Crytek and EA working on the WiiU
Triggers not analog
ZombiU releasing after launch
Having an achievement system
supports UE4 (though we all knew this already)
Just Dance 4

Though some stuff is far fetched
DX11 support
new button linking to Wii Vitality Sensor (actually I forgot what that button did)
GPU being based on a HD 6770
everything with valve in it.

So it confuses me.

NFC. If that was straight from a developer, they would have got more thing right than wrong.

jerd

Like I said, I'm sure Nintendo Land is fun. Nintendo is pretty swell at making enjoyable party/mini-game compilations. Better than most.

It's just absolutely baffling to me how backwards the game is in terms of what people imagine when they think 'theme park'. It's like a culmination of all Nintendo's silly conservationism and archaic thinking.

I do wonder if they'll bother bundling it in.

I think they have to. I can't see the super casuals caring enough about the characters to buy a mini game comp just because it is Nintendo themed, and I don't see everyone else putting it at the top of their lists with all the other solid games coming out.

Nibel

Speaking of, is online functionality something they can add in an update?

Technically? I'm not an expert, but I think it's possible.

But online functionality doesn't fit the game's concept at all. They want you to play this in a room with your friends and family. I would go even so far and say that Nintendo Land would suck ass online.
Big part of the fun is having everybody you play with right next to you. They'll put local multiplayer + asymmetrical gameplay above anything else this holiday season.

We will see online games from Nintendo, but not around launch.

jerd

But online functionality doesn't fit the game's concept at all. They want you to play this in a room with your friends and family. I would go even so far and say that Nintendo Land would suck ass online.
Big part of the fun is having everybody you play with right next to you. They'll put local multiplayer + asymmetrical gameplay above anything else this holiday season.

Yeah this is all true. I just need to get some more local gamer friends!

EatChildren

Local play is the focus, but I think it's extremely silly to build a game called "Nintendo Land", where the entire idea is creating a Nintendo theme park, and limit it exclusively to local play. The entire philosophy behind a 'theme park' screams connected, social play, and of all Wii U games presented so far there's none better suited to the idea of a persistent, growing game world for friends, family and others to mingle and play than Nintendo Land. There's no reason they can't have the local focus they have now with all the extras of an online theme park.

It just strikes me as typically conservative and counter productive Nintendo thinking.

jerd

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would honestly have Nintendo Land on your shopping list if it is not a pack in? Would you spend $60 on it?

EatChildren

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would honestly have Nintendo Land on your shopping list if it is not a pack in? Would you spend $60 on it?

I might get it eventually, but I have no interest in picking it up immediately.

When you read the list and see the lies.

UE4 is not running on the Wii U. UE4 is not 'supported' by the Wii U (all Epic said is it could probably run it). The new button is not linked to a vitality sensor.

There are lies in the rumour. Lies = fake.

(...)

UE4 is not running on the Wii U. UE4 is not 'supported' by the Wii U (all Epic said is it could probably run it). The new button is not linked to a vitality sensor.

My question refers to AC3, since you quoted ugoo18's post about it. ^^

Edit: Ok, the source has a lot of other rumours.

EatChildren

My question refers to AC3, since you quoted ugoo18's post about it. ^^

I was referring to the rumour list as fake. Whoever wrote the list, claiming AC3 will be 1080p @ 60fps, was making it up.

EDIT: Yep :p.

Local play is the focus, but I think it's extremely silly to build a game called "Nintendo Land", where the entire idea is creating a Nintendo theme park, and limit it exclusively to local play. The entire philosophy behind a 'theme park' screams connected, social play, and of all Wii U games presented so far there's none better suited to the idea of a persistent, growing game world for friends, family and others to mingle and play than Nintendo Land. There's no reason they can't have the local focus they have now with all the extras of an online theme park.

It just strikes me as typically conservative and counter productive Nintendo thinking.

Right, to simulate the obnoxious and often times brutal atmosphere of competition found in Amusement Park queues, the games should be online.
Fight with zealous parents to get a better spot in line, start getting annoyed by the whining and verbal abuse of 11 year olds behind you, have to wait before an attraction because someone decides to idle around.

This being called Nintendo Land, and it not having online outside of Miiverse makes a ton of sense really.

Nibel

I agree with you that the whole theme park idea could have been implemented better, but just looking at what kind of games they offer it's pretty clear that the whole "Nintendo Land" thing and the idea of a Nintendo theme park is just a big fluffy piece of decoration for a minigame collection. There lies a lot of potential in there, but I think that asymmetrical gameplay is more important to them than to create a really cool virtual theme park.

Maybe we'll see some Miiverse stuff for this one. Like I said, it's pretty early to judge this thing and that's like the big problem. I open this thread every day and read through almost every post, and well: we don't know much more about the Wii U than before E3.

Maybe it has online stuff? No idea, man (speaking of which: where is IdeaMan? :lol).

EatChildren

Right, to simulate the obnoxious and often times brutal atmosphere of competition found in Amusement Park queues, the games should be online.
Fight with zealous parents to get a better spot in line, start getting annoyed by the whining and verbal abuse of 11 year olds behind you, have to wait before an attraction because someone decides to idle around.

This being called Nintendo Land, and it not having online outside of Miiverse makes a ton of sense really.

Absolute worst case scenario has never been a good argument against online, not unless your company is completely incompetent and unable to create solid framework that allows for safe, enjoyable, social, connected gaming.

I agree with you that the whole theme park idea could have been implemented better, but just looking at what kind of games they offer it's pretty clear that the whole "Nintendo Land" thing and the idea of a Nintendo theme park is just a big fluffy piece of decoration for a minigame collection. There lies a lot of potential in there, but I think that asymmetrical gameplay is more important to them than to create a really cool virtual theme park.

Maybe we'll see some Miiverse stuff for this one. Like I said, it's pretty early to judge this thing and that's like the big problem. I open this thread every day and read through almost every post, and well: we don't know much more about the Wii U than before E3.

Maybe it has online stuff? No idea, man (speaking of which: where is IdeaMan? :lol).

I agree with the Nintendo Land mantel essentially being a dressing for what is a mini-game compilation, and I guess that's why I'm not really happy with it. It's a mix of expectations from calling something a Nintendo theme park, and delivering what is really no different from what Ubisoft will be doing with their Rabbids game, save for the franchises.

Though I'm sure there's more to learn about Nintendo Land, and I expect Nintendo has some surprises left.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Interesting tidbit from Marc^o^ in the Wii U price thread.

I don't know if it has been posted, but Iwata was interviewed yesterday in Le Parisien, a french newspaper. He said attracting smartphone developpers was strategic and critical for Wii U's success.

I thought it was thread worthy but had no time to do it yesterday.

I've found what appears to be the article online, but unfortunately it's behind a Paywall...

http://www.leparisien.fr/espace-pre...-nintendo-pour-innover-28-07-2012-2104933.php

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Absolute worst case scenario has never been a good argument against online, not unless your company is completely incompetent and unable to create solid framework that allows for safe, enjoyable, social, connected gaming.

I don't argue against online, in fact I am all for it, but the reality is that with an online infrastructure and even the most rudimentary form of comunication, the annoyance increases exponentially.

It's just a part of online interaction.

Miiverse could be potentially amazing for Nintendoland, but so far it seems more like a dressed up message board and FAQ system.

If they manage to incorporate Miiverse as more than that. To make it the center for stuff like ghost data, challenges (asynchronous like the rival challenges in Forza 4) user created content etc, it could be huge. Could.

Personally I don't see why Nintendoland or NSMBM should be singled out for not having online MP when even games like Rayman Origins and now Legends won't have symultaneous online MP.
It's all about the designers intention, and if Miiverse is indeed as powerfull a tool as it could be, then the online integration of Nintendoland should be another showcase on what this platform can do for asynchronous online modes.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I understand your point, but having played the demo, I can also tell you that the dynamics of some of those games were absolutely not suited for online play.
Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion, for example, really "need" to be played all together in the same room.
I don't know how to explain, but it's like play "playground" games...online.

I think that they should think specific games with online in mind, to show their new (???) approach to the online...

stupidvillager

Neo Member
I might get it eventually, but I have no interest in picking it up immediately.

UE4 can run on the Wii U. He said if a dev wants to put on there, they can.

EatChildren

I don't argue against online, in fact I am all for it, but the reality is that with an online infrastructure and even the most rudimentary form of comunication, the annoyance increases exponentially.

It's just a part of online interaction.

Miiverse could be potentially amazing for Nintendoland, but so far it seems more like a dressed up message board and FAQ system.

If they manage to incorporate Miiverse as more than that. To make it the center for stuff like ghost data, challenges (asynchronous like the rival challenges in Forza 4) user created content etc, it could be huge. Could.

Personally I don't see why Nintendoland or NSMBM should be singled out for not having online MP when even games like Rayman Origins and now Legends won't have symultaneous online MP.
It's all about the designers intention, and if Miiverse is indeed as powerfull a tool as it could be, then the online integration of Nintendoland should be another showcase on what this platform can do for asynchronous online modes.
I understand your point, but having played the demo, I can also tell you that the dynamics of some of those games were absolutely not suited for online play.
Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion, for example, really "need" to be played all together in the same room.
I don't know how to explain, but it's like play "playground" games...online.

I think that they should think specific games with online in mind, to show their new (???) approach to the online...

Fair enough. I guess I just come from the mindset that 'Nintendo Land' should be so very much more than what it is. Not that I discredit how fun it is, but the weakness of making a virtual Nintendo theme park in this way.

I do however feel any annoyances and problems that occur with online structure, no matter how rudimentary, is a problem laid squarely at the feet of the developers and not the philosophy of online itself. There are always solutions and always better ways to do things. If a developer cannot find one, their showing their flaws.

UE4 can run on the Wii U. He said if a dev wants to put on there, they can.

The Wii U can probably run UE4. But as it stands, no version of UE4 is in development for the Wii U, and it is not supported for the Wii U. There is a clear difference between implications that hardware can support an engine and whether or not the engine developers have any intention of putting it on the hardware at all.

Any rumour that states UE4 can/is running on the Wii U is a lie, plain and simple. Until specified by Epic it was a unknown if it could at all, and even now is still a hypothetical and not a reality.

Can Wii U run the UE 3.5 (Samaritan)?

It can run UE3, and I'm sure UE3.5, though to what extent the feature sets will perform is unknown. EG: Samaritan was heavily tessellated. We know the Wii U supports tessellation. We do not know the efficiency or capabilities of said tessellation.

Snakeyes

Hey bg, any comments on the latest Durango devkit rumors and how it compares to the Wii U? Are we still on track with your "PS2 of the next generation" predictions?

Not in a million, unless it had this:

The entire philosophy behind a 'theme park' screams connected, social play, and of all Wii U games presented so far there's none better suited to the idea of a persistent, growing game world for friends, family and others to mingle and play than Nintendo Land. There's no reason they can't have the local focus they have now with all the extras of an online theme park.

...and depth, something like Theme Park by Maxis but Nintendo-fied.

tkscz

To make a NintendoLand 2 duh.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
The Wii U can probably run UE4. But as it stands, no version of UE4 is in development for the Wii U, and it is not supported for the Wii U. There is a clear difference between implications that hardware can support an engine and whether or not the engine developers have any intention of putting it on the hardware at all.

Any rumour that states UE4 can/is running on the Wii U is a lie, plain and simple. Until specified by Epic it was a unknown if it could at all, and even now is still a hypothetical and not a reality.

It can run UE3, and I'm sure UE3.5, though to what extent the feature sets will perform is unknown. EG: Samaritan was heavily tessellated. We know the Wii U supports tessellation. We do not know the efficiency or capabilities of said tessellation.

" so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could." Whats hypothetical about that? Whether or not its as impressive as it would be on PS4 or the next xbox doesnt matter, its still UE4. As for it currently running on the Wii U, we dont know, its a rumor, it could be true or could not be. But whether the Wii U is capable of running UE4, it would appear to be yes. Just because we havent seen a video of it doesnt mean its a lie, but I'm not saying its true either. Its a rumor.

Just read a rumour posted that the WiiU will support 3D in 1080p/60fps (but not at launch.) Has TheGamerScene a good record for rumours anyone know? Wouldn't be surprised anyway; wasn't 3D on the PS360 pretty easy to implement?

TunaLover

To make a NintendoLand 2 duh.

It's really the way Nintendo works with new ips, they don't go "all out" at first, only when the general acceptance on the game grows, Nintendo strart throwing more resources to that specific ip. Just remember how "basic" was Smash 64, and how it's now (budget wise). Those experimental games always start with a moderated, or conservative budget/resources on Nintendo's part.

Meelow

Banned
This is out of the whole power talk but who else is excited for the Dragon Quest X Nintendo Direct today?, I hoping they show some Wii U footage.

Just read a rumour posted that the WiiU will support 3D in 1080p/60fps (but not at launch.) Has TheGamerScene a good record for rumours anyone know? Wouldn't be surprised anyway; wasn't 3D on the PS360 pretty easy to implement?

Edit: Yeah I saw that rumor not that long ago, the site said it was from an anonymous source so...

This is out of the whole power talk but who else is excited for the Dragon Quest X Nintendo Direct today?, I hoping they show some Wii U footage.

Edit: Yeah I saw that rumor not that long ago, the site said it was from an anonymous source so...

I don't know, doesn't seem like a big deal to me even if it was true. I'm sure I remember reading that 3D option was added to Gears3 very late on in development and it was a piece of piss to do... so, big deal really! Not got a 3D telly either, but I get the impression most people think it's shit anyway; unless it's golf - I've heard golf looks good on Sky Sports 3D.

Would be cool if they showed some Wii U footage of it. Are they going to graphically improve it at all or are they pretty much just making a straight port? I don't expect the wii version to come here.

EatChildren

I figure 3D on the Wii U is one of those things that will probably happen, simply because it cant be hard to make the hardware do it given the HDMI output. There's different ways of doing 3D though (eg: fake/layered 3D versus true stereo). Doubt we'll see any full 3D 1080p 60fps games, unless they're basic 2D. The computing power for that is very high.

" so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could." Whats hypothetical about that? Whether or not its as impressive as it would be on PS4 or the next xbox doesnt matter, its still UE4. As for it currently running on the Wii U, we dont know, its a rumor, it could be true or could not be. But whether the Wii U is capable of running UE4, it would appear to be yes. Just because we havent seen a video of it doesnt mean its a lie, but I'm not saying its true either. Its a rumor.

It's a lie because the Wii U is not running UE4, nor is any developer known to be working on UE4 for the Wii U. The lie isn't that the Wii U is theoretically capable of running UE4, which it is, it's implications that it already is. This is where these rumours are sourced, in typical fanboy wet dreaming about the Wii U being a powerhouse. The same place rumours of AC3 1080p 60fps are sourced: wishful thinking.

It's a lie, because UE4 is not running on the Wii U, not yet.

MDX

Didnt Nintendo say the WiiU would support 3D but that it wasn't their main focus?
And lets not forget, Nintendo was 3D ready back in 2001:

Satoru Iwata said: "To tell you the truth, GameCube is secretly designed to load graphical circuits which display graphics for right and left eyes respectively, for a future possibility of realizing 3D gaming experience

So it sounds like its a rumor that can be simply a logical assumption. It can also be a confirmation. At any rate, if true, Nintendo will not promote it until they know what the other consoles plan to bring to the table.

Didnt Nintendo say the WiiU would support 3D but that it wasn't their main focus?

So it sounds like its a rumor that can be simply a logical assumption. It can also be a confirmation. At any rate, if true, Nintendo will not promote it until they know what the other consoles plan to bring to the table.

How would the GC have shown 3D without a 3D display device?

I don't think it'd be wise for them to promote 3D because at-home 3D isn't exactly a hot market anymore, not until glasses-free TVs become the norm which is years from now. Just mention it alongside the other features but don't put a ton of emphasis on it.

MDX

I figure 3D on the Wii U is one of those things that will probably happen, simply because it cant be hard to make the hardware do it given the HDMI output. There's different ways of doing 3D though (eg: fake/layered 3D versus true stereo). Doubt we'll see any full 3D 1080p 60fps games, unless they're basic 2D. The computing power for that is very high.

It's a lie because the Wii U is not running UE4, nor is any developer known to be working on UE4 for the Wii U. The lie isn't that the Wii U is theoretically capable of running UE4, which it is, it's implications that it already is. .

Well you did just say:

Any rumour that states UE4 can/is running on the Wii U is a lie,

So, if a rumor says that UE4 CAN run on the WiiU, its not a rumor anymore, as its been confirmed the WiiU can. Even you agree to that. And whether or not somebody is working on having the WiiU run UE4 cannot be a lie, because you simply dont know. You can say 'unlikely' but you have no evidence to the contrary to call a rumor is a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom