• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriGen

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would honestly have Nintendo Land on your shopping list if it is not a pack in? Would you spend $60 on it?

It's certainly not on my shopping list if it's a full priced game. I could see paying $20 for it down the road, out of curiosity.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, if a rumor says that UE4 CAN run on the WiiU, its not a rumor anymore, as its been confirmed the WiiU can. Even you agree to that. And whether or not somebody is working on having the WiiU run UE4 cannot be a lie, because you simply dont know. You can say 'unlikely' but you have no evidence to the contrary to call a rumor is a lie.

I guess if we're going to argue semantics then no, I cannot truly debunk rumours of UE4 currently running on the Wii U. But I will say is based on the sourcing of these rumours (and the accompanying rumours), everything I've heard from my own sources, both about the Wii U and Unreal Engine 4, there currently exists no build of Unreal Engine 4 running on the Wii U unless Nintendo has some super secretive force doing such a thing.

It is, for me, one of the most glaring tell tale signs a rumour leak is lie made up by someone sitting in their bedroom.

Meelow

Banned
Would be cool if they showed some Wii U footage of it. Are they going to graphically improve it at all or are they pretty much just making a straight port? I don't expect the wii version to come here.

Square Enix confirmed that the Wii U version will look graphically beautifully so that makes me hyped to see what it looks like.

The Boat

Like I said, I'm sure Nintendo Land is fun. Nintendo is pretty swell at making enjoyable party/mini-game compilations. Better than most.

It's just absolutely baffling to me how backwards the game is in terms of what people imagine when they think 'theme park'. It's like a culmination of all Nintendo's silly conservationism and archaic thinking.

I do wonder if they'll bother bundling it in.
So, if it was called something else this "problem" would cease to exist. I mean, I would love something that would actuallly mimic a Nintendo theme park, but still.
EDIT: which you already covered. Sorry.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, if it was called something else this "problem" would cease to exist. I mean, I would love something that would actuallly mimic a Nintendo theme park, but still.

In a sense yes, but not really in the grand scheme of things. I simply believe building a "Nintendo Land", a theme park centred around Nintendo franchises, and not going all out with social and digital integration is a missed opportunity to make something really special. What we've got instead is yet another mini-game collection that might as well be Wii Sports or Raving Rabbids.

It's just another mark on my every growing list of Nintendo sitting on the edge of ambition and greatness and deciding instead to be conservative. See no online/friend leader boards in NSMB 2 for another.

I guess if we're going to argue semantics then no, I cannot truly debunk rumours of UE4 currently running on the Wii U. But I will say is based on the sourcing of these rumours (and the accompanying rumours), everything I've heard from my own sources, both about the Wii U and Unreal Engine 4, there currently exists no build of Unreal Engine 4 running on the Wii U unless Nintendo has some super secretive force doing such a thing.

It is, for me, one of the most glaring tell tale signs a rumour leak is lie made up by someone sitting in their bedroom.

Not to get too OT but can you corroborate any of this new Durango stuff without getting into trouble?

chris3116

From what I understand, Epic clearly said that if someone is making a UE4 game the engine could be ported to the Wii U. However, this engine will mostly be used by western developers. The same developers that don't really want to develop on Wii U. IMO, UE4 will not be a popular engine as UE3 was this gen. Most 3rd party companies have now their own HD engine. Why licence something when you have something on your own.

UE3 will probably be enough for the small developers.

Penguin

The biggest question mark remaining for me about NintendoLand after playing it, is how well the game scales.

The game is a ton of fun... when you have a full party.. 5 people shouting and screaming is a good time.. but is it as fun with just 2 people? 3 people? How does playing on your own work.

The biggest question mark remaining for me about NintendoLand after playing it, is how well the game scales.

The game is a ton of fun... when you have a full party.. 5 people shouting and screaming is a good time.. but is it as fun with just 2 people? 3 people? How does playing on your own work.

Good question. They've said that some of the games (5 maybe? I can't recall) would be SP focused w/ MP elements. The only game I can think of that displayed that was Donkey Kong Tilt or whatever it was called, and personally, I question the fun factor of that one.

Penguin

Good question. They've said that some of the games (5 maybe? I can't recall) would be SP focused w/ MP elements. The only game I can think of that displayed that was Donkey Kong Tilt or whatever it was called, and personally, I question the fun factor of that one.

I can't imagine it being anything other than people.. shouting at you on what to turn...

And that.. and the Ninja Castle one.. also has like.. high scores.. so I guess controller trade-off competition.

EatChildren

Not to get too OT but can you corroborate any of this new Durango stuff without getting into trouble?

I'd heard it had a shit ton of RAM (8 - 16GB), lots of which was likely reserved for the OS, and that it was housing a solid GPU. Essentially if anybody was pandering to Epic/Crytek's wishes for a beefy home console, it was Microsoft.

I know less about Durango than I do the PlayStation 4 and Wii U, and even then a lot of what I know has been leaked and done the rounds already.

From what I understand, Epic clearly said that if someone is making a UE4 game the engine could be ported to the Wii U. However, this engine will mostly be used by western developers. The same developers that don't really want to develop on Wii U. IMO, UE4 will not be a popular engine as UE3 was this gen. Most 3rd party companies have now their own HD engine. Why licence something when you have something on your own.

UE3 will probably be enough for the small developers.

From where I'm standing it's all about the supposed time saving development environment. If a studio can buy a UE4 licence, save development time and that works out cheaper for them than UE3, then I'm sure there will be interest. From the tech demos though, there isn't any other benefit that I can see.

The Boat

In a sense yes, but not really in the grand scheme of things. I simply believe building a "Nintendo Land", a theme park centred around Nintendo franchises, and not going all out with social and digital integration is a missed opportunity to make something really special. What we've got instead is yet another mini-game collection that might as well be Wii Sports or Raving Rabbids.

It's just another mark on my every growing list of Nintendo sitting on the edge of ambition and greatness and deciding instead to be conservative. See no online/friend leader boards in NSMB 2 for another.
I won't argue with you there. Nintendo has a habit on being ambitious in some things and conservative in others. I'm not sure if Nintendo Land together with Miiverse won't provide good social interaction though, it all depends on how Miiverse will turn out. Not bothered about no online, the games are meant to be played locally.

I can't imagine it being anything other than people.. shouting at you on what to turn...

And that.. and the Ninja Castle one.. also has like.. high scores.. so I guess controller trade-off competition.

Takamaru's Ninja Castle. haha, But yeah, that's what I'm expecting for the SP focused outings - hand offs and leaderboards. I dunno...they've promised more depth to the games than Wii Sports but we've yet to see it.

On a positive note, the Luigi's Mansion game looks like a blast.

Hey bg, any comments on the latest Durango devkit rumors and how it compares to the Wii U? Are we still on track with your "PS2 of the next generation" predictions?

So the new rumors about Xbox 720, how much power is that compared to the Wii U?.

As recently as a week or two ago, I'm still under the impression that it's still debatable whether PS4 or Xbox 3 is the more powerful console, so that wouldn't change my view in comparison to Wii U.

Meelow

Banned
As recently as a week or two ago, I'm still under the impression that it's still debatable whether PS4 or Xbox 3 is the more powerful console, so that wouldn't change my view in comparison to Wii U.

So it's still 8x more powerful than the Xbox 360?.

Edit: the thing is about Digital Foundry is they said at E3 2011 that the Zelda tech demo was 720p, but Nintendo confirmed it was 1080p.

Sure. I have to buy everything (monitor, keyboard, etc.) because right now I'm still using a laptop I got in 2007 that I overly upgraded. But if I focused on the same components in MIB's link (thanks by the way MIB, it had the exact MB I was looking for as I hadn't looked on Newegg) it's going to be between probably $430 and $500 as I haven't settled on what case I want.

The following prices exclude discounts.

CPU: Intel G630 - $67.99
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 560 SE - $129.99
Mem: PNY 8GB (2x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz, CL9, 1.65v - $42.99
MB: GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V - $69.99
HDD: WD Caviar Blue, 500GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - $69.99
OD: LG Internal 24X DVD Writer, SATA - $17.99

Total: $398.94

Including everything I need, it should be under $800 excluding S/H. The monitor and OS are the most expensive parts of my build.

As far as the case is concerned I'd highly recommend you get an Antec gaming case, they're fantastic. I built my PC in 2008 and it's all sitting inside an Antec 1200. Cost me around £1000ish altogether. I'd also highly recommend a Samsung Spinpoint HDD rather than a Western Digital. Spinpoint drives are a great deal faster and can take a great deal of punishment. I tend to have my PC on 24/7 around 360 days a year.

Edit: the thing is about Digital Foundry is they said at E3 2011 that the Zelda tech demo was 720p, but Nintendo confirmed it was 1080p.

Reggie said everything was 1080p. He was just PR speaking out of his ass.That demo was definitely not 1080p.

EatChildren

The official capture from the Zelda demo was rendered natively at 720p, and everybody I know who went and can pick the difference said it was 720p. With obvious aliasing. It wasn't 1080p.

Meelow

Banned
Then follows it up with Wii U is a full HD system like all games are going to be running at 1080p.

Well when the tech demo was made it was on a weaker dev kit, and other than Nintendo's first party at launch the third party's can be 1080p like the rumored Assassin's Creed 3 and Batman.

Lyude77

I think I would get Nintendo Land if it was stand-alone. I like the Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, Takamaru, and Animal Crossing ideas, so I'd probably like the rest of it too.

On another note, I think Nintendo should make a real theme park like Disney Land/World if they have the resources to. It would be awesome.

Considering that was on an old dev kit it still looked good lol, resolution isn't graphics anyway.

Ok, what are you even arguing though. You seem to be switching arguments every post. I think it looks ok, but if this is going to be a primarily 720p system it should at least have AA.

Meelow

Banned
Ok, what are you even arguing though. You seem to be switching arguments every post. I think it looks ok, but if this is going to be a primarily 720p system it should at least have AA.

I don't know *cries* no but really I am pretty sure tons of games will be 1080p, and some games will be 720p with AA.

EatChildren

I don't know *cries* no but really I am pretty sure tons of games will be 1080p, and some games will be 720p with AA.

I bet you 90% of Wii U games, including those from Nintendo, will be 720p.

Since I don't care for multipliers without a tangible number for "x", I won't make that comparison. MS claimed the actual games would be 6x 360, but that's old info as well. It's still early though. At worst Xbox 3 should be about to run current 360 games at 1080p, stable framerates, and other improvements.

I side more with DF on that tech demo.

As far as the case is concerned I'd highly recommend you get an Antec gaming case, they're fantastic. I built my PC in 2008 and it's all sitting inside an Antec 1200. Cost me around £1000ish altogether. I'd also highly recommend a Samsung Spinpoint HDD rather than a Western Digital. Spinpoint drives are a great deal faster and can take a great deal of punishment. I tend to have my PC on 24/7 around 360 days a year.

Thanks. A quick search shows that drive is made by Seagate now instead of Samsung. I didn't have a problem with the last Seagate I had, but I wanted to try a different drive. Plus I recently found a refurbished one for $60. And the Antec's were too big for my liking. You may have missed it, but I decided on the case and power supply I'm going with.

Meelow

Banned
I bet you 90% of Wii U games, including those from Nintendo, will be 720p.

I bet 50% of games, I also bet not all PS4 and 720 games will be 1080p, and lots will be 720p as well.

Since I don't care for multipliers without a tangible number for "x", I won't make that comparison. MS claimed the actual games would be 6x 360, but that's old info as well. It's still early though. At worst Xbox 3 should be about to run current 360 games at 1080p, stable framerates, and other improvements.

So the Wii U is still in the safe zone of next gen power?.

I bet 50% of games, I also bet not all PS4 and 720 games will be 1080p, and lots will be 720p as well.

You're right the majority of games won't be 1080p on the other consoles. 50% is way too high a number. Nintendo isn't even pushing a 2d platformer (which would be the easiest of any of their games to be 1080p) to that level. I would be surprised if we ever saw a 1080p game from Nintendo since there stance seems to be that 720 is enough.

What is a safe zone?

StevieP

Banned

EC is understating. 95% of Wii U title will probably be 720p. To be fair, if I were to guess at least half of Durango/ps4 titles will be 720p as well. Currently scribblenaughtss is the only 1080p Wii u title. I think you are expecting too much if you think Metroid/Zelda and such are going to come at 1080p, especially if you want those titles to be doing a lot per pixel/visually.

Meelow

Banned
You're right the majority of games won't be 1080p on the other consoles. 50% is way too high a number. Nintendo isn't even pushing a 2d platformer (which would be the easiest of any of their games to be 1080p) to that level. I would be surprised if we ever saw a 1080p game from Nintendo since there stance seems to be that 720 is enough.

Nintendo said that their was a reason launch games of Nintendo are 720p and not 1080p and that was because I pretty sure they said they feel "comfortable" or something like that, but I can see 3D Mario, Zelda, Metriod, etc being 1080p.

Meelow

Banned
Wii U 3rd Party situation.

This.

EC is understating. 95% of Wii U title will probably be 720p. To be fair, if I were to guess at least half of Durango/ps4 titles will be 720p as well. Currently scribblenaughtss is the only 1080p Wii u title. I think you are expecting too much if you think Metroid/Zelda and such are going to come at 1080p, especially if you want those titles to be doing a lot per pixel/visually.

I feel Nintendo could do it.

EatChildren

I bet most games next generation are 720p regardless of platform, 1080p saved for less computing intensive titles (and mostly on the next Xbox/PlayStation). Mainline titles from all developers across every platform will stick to 720p to keep headroom free for nicer looking effects, greater geometric and texture detail, and anti-aliasing solutions.

The computing cost of increasing resolution is significant, and most developers will be quite happy to stick with 720p.

Actually, I think 720p is enuogh, most people would only recognize differences if games are running side by side in 720p and 1080p.

1080p would be better of course, but you can't get everything.

Meelow

Banned
I would be more worried about this later in the gen when developers start tapping out the other two console's potential.

If the Wii U has a good enough instal base I wouldn't be worried about that, I mean they still ported games to the PS2 knowing it couldn't do anything as good as the GameCube and Xbox fully do.

Any way DICE got BF3 to run on PS360 then power should definitely not be an excuse. The features of the hardware could have been a better excuse, but everything known points to that as not being an issue either. Frostbite 2.0 wasn't even designed to consider DX9-level hardware (the renderer is DX11), but they put forth the effort to make it work on PS360. And that's a much larger gap than how next gen is setting up.

That's what I wanted to hear :).

People should also consider the high costs the PS4 and 720 could bring, since the Wii U won't be horribly underpowered like the Wii was with the PS3/360 to the PS4/720 it should be good.

So it they won't be like "The Wii U is not powerful enough to run this game"?.

Any way DICE got BF3 to run on PS360 then power should definitely not be an excuse. The features of the hardware could have been a better excuse, but everything known points to that as not being an issue either. Frostbite 2.0 wasn't even designed to consider DX9-level hardware (the renderer is DX11), but they put forth the effort to make it work on PS360. And that's a much larger gap than how next gen is setting up.

AzaK

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would honestly have Nintendo Land on your shopping list if it is not a pack in? Would you spend $60 on it?

It would be a hard call for me. I don't really do much coop gaming and so I'd be getting it for the odd gaming session with my wife (it'd have to be simple enough for her to play) and maybe Christmas time. But I'm not convinced it has that non-gamer appeal that Wii Sports did. If it was US$20 I might.

ohlawd

Nintendo likes 60 FPS with their games so as long as they keep that up, it doesn't really matter to me.

Same with the 3rd party stuff, perfectly happy with 720p/60 FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom