• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there anybody here who hasn't played Arkham City?

Because if you haven't, or couldn't, please get it for the Wii U. Pretty please.

Thanks.

Because if you haven't, or couldn't, please get it for the Wii U. Pretty please.

Thanks.

I haven't. After seeing some of the shots in the PC screen thread I don't know if I will go for the Wii U version. It's one of the best looking games I've seen with the right hardware. Maybe if there is extra content besides some control stuff.

I haven't. The combat looks rather lame, like a huge QTE fest.

If its anything like Asylum, it's is definitely more than that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Arkham City is, without a doubt, one of the most impressive games of the generation as far as I'm concerned. Loaded with content, beautiful gameplay, gorgeous presentation, and clearly a lot of love poured in by the developers. It's almost alarming how perfectly it captures 'Batman'.

There's no QTE's at all.

Nibel

It's the best melee combat system of this generation. It's pretty deep and even after your Batman is maxed out you will enjoy kicking some ass.

If you want one of the best games of this generation, then get this. I think it could be the game with the most content. You'll always find something new; it rewards you for trying to find everything. There are challenges etc.

Man, this game is fucking amazing. NintenGAF, if you haven't played it yet - get it!

Sadist

Thanks.

*raises hand*

Almost bought the PC version during the Steam sale, but then I remembered Armored Edition is the GoTY version and I want a boxed version. I need my tangible Batman stuff.

Garbage article

:D

What does it say, Nibel? When are they going to fix the the texture pop in this game - shouldn't they have sorted that out by now? Batman's armour looks awesome the way the light reflects off it... his cape could look better for me. Batman stands out like a saw thumb amongst all them low textures.

EatChildren

So like, you sit atop gargoyles in a room full of bad dudes. Some have guns, some have knives, some just their fists. And they're all cocky and talking shit about the Batman and how they're going to catch him. And then you start hunting them, one by one. You silently move through hallways, crawl through vents, and swing between vantage points. Nobody sees you. Nobody sees you. But they notice. Oh, they notice, that they're getting picked off one by one.

And they panic. Their dialogue changes. The music grows more intense as each enemy is knocked out. Their arrogance becomes caution. And eventually it becomes terror. Terror of one man, shaking as he desperately tries to hunt you out, the music at it's most intense, as you sit perched above waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

<3 Arkham City. So much attention to detail.

antonz

Thanks.

Agreed. Its a fantastic game. Its so nice when you get a studio thats really passionate about the game and subject they are developing. It shows through so much

There's no QTE's at all.
These looks like QTE prompts to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd45u9EYNrc

Little things appear above an enemy's head, push the counter button in response, and a slow motion response plays. Lots of very fancy attack animations by pushing the same few buttons, etc. It looks very slow and uninteresting.

It's the best melee combat system of this generation. It's pretty deep and even after your Batman is maxed out you will enjoy kicking some ass.

If you want one of the best games of this generation, then get this. I think it could be the game with the most content. You'll always find something new; it rewards you for trying to find everything. There are challenges etc.

Man, this game is fucking amazing. NintenGAF, if you haven't played it yet - get it!
Just to be clear, I own all 3 consoles this generation. I just didn't buy this game. I'm pretty sure most melee combat fans consider Bayonetta to be the best combat system this generation.

So like, you sit atop gargoyles in a room full of bad dudes. Some have guns, some have knives, some just their fists. And they're all cocky and talking shit about the Batman and how they're going to catch him. And then you start hunting them, one by one. You silently move through hallways, crawl through vents, and swing between vantage points. Nobody sees you. Nobody sees you. But they notice. Oh, they notice, that they're getting picked off one by one.

And they panic. Their dialogue changes. The music grows more intense as each enemy is knocked out. Their arrogance becomes caution. And eventually it becomes terror. Terror of one man, shaking as he desperately tries to hunt you out, the music at it's most intense, as you sit perched above waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

<3 Arkham City. So much attention to detail.
Yeah, whenever I hear people praise the game, I hear a lot about thematics, but it doesn't look particularly challenging or fun to actually play. I tried it a bit at my BIL's house, and wasn't seeing it. I felt like I had borderline god mode on and the game just wanted to be flashy and cool.

BD1

Banned

Thanks.

Armored Edition is a day one purchase for me.

I just didn't have the time to play AC (or any video game) when it launched last October. When my schedule cleared up later in the year I was going to pick it up, but then I anticipated the Wii U version would be the "definitive" version and decided to hold off.

Needless to say, I can't wait to play it.

prag16

Banned
Any rumour that states UE4 can/is running on the Wii U is a lie, plain and simple.

There's any number of situations that could be said, and have it not be a lie.

In fact, Epic themselves already said it "can" run on the Wii U.

And it's possible (however unlikely) that some dev is already trying to port it to Wii U. So that's another scenario in which a rumor to that effect could potentially not be a lie.

You don't know. Have no idea. Tacking "plain and simple" onto the back end of your argument doesn't increase the validity of the statement.

Maybe you have "sources", but take bgassassin's example. He's a guy with "sources" that doesn't go around reeking of arrogance.

Sadist

Even more than the baddies did in Asylum? It was actually one of my favourite features in the game. I just loved the details when they finally noticed (through the Joker collars) their ranks were thinning out. Heartrate going up, yelling at eachother, shouting into nothingness, demanding that the Bat should show himself.

Sheroking

What should impress you is that there is nothing resembling a QTE in the game. It's all user controlled "counter" combat.

I personally preferred the focus and story driven Arkham Asylum, but both are utterly awesome games.

Meelow

Banned
You know what gets me kinda annoyed?, when people say the Wii was a disappointment so the Wii U has to be a disappointment as well.

EatChildren

Little things appear above an enemy's head, push the counter button in response, and a slow motion response plays. Lots of very fancy attack animations by pushing the same few buttons, etc. It looks very slow and uninteresting.

---

Yeah, whenever I hear people praise the game, I hear a lot about thematics, but it doesn't look particularly challenging or fun to actually play. I tried it a bit at my BIL's house, and wasn't seeing it. I felt like I had borderline god mode on and the game just wanted to be flashy and cool.

It's a shame you feel that way, because I consider it a wrong stance for this game. And I say this as someone who loathes the "mash attack to win" simplicity of the entire Assassin's Creed series combat system.

Arkham City's combat is deceptive. It looks extremely flashy (largely due to the production budget) and has a simplistic counter mechanism, but you cannot rely on it. Ever gadget works independently, and certain enemies (such as those wielding knives and shields) are immune to standard counters. You can stun, flip over/dodge via jumps, and use your entire gadget arsenal. There's a wide range of tactics to deploy, and though the game certainly leans towards your favour (deliberately so, as the sense of empowerment as Batman is essential), the game quickly throws much more than dudes with fists at you.

I am willing to bet that 90% of ALL Next Gen Games are 720p.

Agreed, as implied earlier. 720p will be a standard for some time.

You know what gets me kinda annoyed? When people say the Wii was a disappointment so the Wii U has to be a disappointment as well.

I agree. And it's mostly coming from 360/PS3 fanboys as well as the gaming media that loves to bash Nintendo as well. Makes me sick.

There are plenty of good games on the Wii if they even bothered to look good enough.

Nibel

What does it say, Nibel? When are they going to fix the the texture pop in this game - shouldn't they have sorted that out by now? Batman's armour looks awesome the way the light reflects off it... his cape could look better for me. Batman stands out like a saw thumb amongst all them low textures.

The editor just said that it looks worse than on 360/PS3 for.. No reason. She added that Pikmin 3 had the best visuals despite having played ZombiU.

And I have to correct myself: of course Bayonetta has the best combat system; but Arkham City allows you to play however you like. Well, that's what every game boxart tells you, right? The difference with AC is that action and stealth mechanics work perfect. In fact, you can combine different playstyles and switch from action to stealth with ease.

Even if you don't like Batman - this is one of the best games of this generation. It's just great and I can't wait to see what's next from Rocksteady Studios.

It's a shame you feel that way, because I consider it a wrong stance for this game. And I say this as someone who loathes the "mash attack to win" simplicity of the entire Assassin's Creed series combat system.

Arkham City's combat is deceptive. It looks extremely flashy (largely due to the production budget) and has a simplistic counter mechanism, but you cannot rely on it. Ever gadget works independently, and certain enemies (such as those wielding knives and shields) are immune to standard counters. You can stun, flip over/dodge via jumps, and use your entire gadget arsenal. There's a wide range of tactics to deploy, and though the game certainly leans towards your favour (deliberately so, as the sense of empowerment as Batman is essential), the game quickly throws much more than dudes with fists at you.

I only played Arkham Asylum. I'm going to get Arkham City on WiiU as I didn't have time nor money to buy it last year. From what I played though, I fully agree. The combat, traversal and exploratory gameplay in Batman Arkham City/Asylum is one of the best the Action Adventure Genre has to offer. Asylum was built like Metroid, but with Stealth, great hand to hand freeflow combat as well as amazing voicework and then some.

The atmosphere that people describe wouldn't be possible if the controls and concepts weren't that much fun to begin with. Also on Hard, enemies won't signal their attack and you have to go by instinct.
It's hardly a QTE fest, as you're never forced to hit counter. You can even stun or evade, it's just a little visual que to help the player.

I am stoked for Arkham City on WiiU and I expect that all of the DLC is on the disc allready, plus some bonus content. I also don't think that the graphics will be worse in the final game than on PS3/360. Some of the comparison shots even show more details (waving flags) while other stuff looks worse.

Agreed, as implied earlier. 720p will be a standard for some time.

Personally, I have no problem with 720p. I'm not that sensitive to resolution as others seemingly are, but I do hope that at least Nintendos own games will run at mostly 60fps. Given that most of their Wii Games ran at that framerate I'd expect similar goals for their WiiU projects. (Except for Zelda)

AzaK

Thanks.

You buyin? :) I haven't played any of Asylum or City. I demoed Asylum and gave up after 10 minutes cause it just seemed overly complicated. I might have just been in a lazy mood but I don't think I could drop full price on it.

Penguin

Arkham City is, without a doubt, one of the most impressive games of the generation as far as I'm concerned. Loaded with content, beautiful gameplay, gorgeous presentation, and clearly a lot of love poured in by the developers. It's almost alarming how perfectly it captures 'Batman'.

There's no QTE's at all.

Arkham Asylum>Arkham City

I feel like Asylum's compact nature benefited the game a lot more than City's open world.. and the Riddler challenges were fun not tedious.

And the Ps3 version was a mess.. I apparently didn't get a possible upgrade because my game never triggered the mini-game! >.<

Also... kind of funny but expected... Pachter on why well.. him and Nintendo aren't bffs.

“People love to beat me up for bashing Nintendo, but they bring this on themselves. They [Nintendo] give no information, and want us all to proclaim that their consoles will sell record numbers.”

The editor just said that it looks worse than on 360/PS3 for.. No reason. She added that Pikmin 3 had the best visuals despite having played ZombiU.

And I have to correct myself: of course Bayonetta has the best combat system; but Arkham City allows you to play however you like. Well, that's what every game boxart tells you, right? The difference with AC is that action and stealth mechanics work perfect. In fact, you can combine different playstyles and switch from action to stealth with ease.

Even if you don't like Batman - this is one of the best games of this generation. It's just great and I can't wait to see what's next from Rocksteady Studios.

Thanks. The only thing that makes it look worse at this point has to be that the higher quality textures aren't loading in, which, you sort of think they have had more than enough time to fix - from a layman's perspective any way.

EatChildren

Bayonetta is a completely different type of game to the Arkhams. It's also arguably the best 3D fighting system ever, so that's kind of a hard bar to match :p.

Asylum was built like Metroid, but with Stealth, great hand to hand freeflow combat as well as amazing voicework and then some.

Asylum is totally Metroid in level design, through and through. A good take on the Metroidvania formula, mind you.

Funnily enough, I felt Arkham City was less Metroid and more Zelda. It has a giant explorable overworld that acts like a hub with it's own mini-missions, meanwhile main missions take place almost entirely in several indoor locations, which must be explored with newly aquired items, not unlike Zelda dungeons.

You buyin? :)

Nope. Finished both on PC.

Arkham Asylum>Arkham City

I feel like Asylum's compact nature benefited the game a lot more than City's open world.. and the Riddler challenges were fun not tedious.

In terms of story and flow, I do agree Aslyum was better than City. But I really dug the open world of Arkham City. And unlike a lot of others, I thought the Riddler trophies and challenges were integrated really well into the overworld.

prag16

Banned

There's no QTE's at all.

I played Arkham Asylum on PC. Haven't gotten around to Arkham City yet; actually might wait for the Wii U version at this point. Looks like sweet game. Other games Wii U games wil be higher priority, so we'll see.

Nibel

Thanks. The only thing that makes it look worse at this point has to be that the higher quality textures aren't loading in, which, you sort of think they have had more than enough time to fix.

ZombiU looks better now than it did at E3 - and Batman will look better at release, too. :)

andthebeatgoeson

Ooh, that's a shame about AC. I was just getting interested and about to buy one. The two Batman games has some great combat and it's deep. Especially when you try the extra modes and link the attacks. I had to watch some youtube videos during Asylum to see how off I was. You can get thru the whole game doing 4-5 moves. Arkham City's hard mode takes away the counter flash.

It's not just the cinematics and story. It's all of that and the movement, the gadgets, how the gadgets are deployed during combat, the enemies and variety. It's everything. You will enjoy it more if you like Batman but non-fans can enjoy it. One of the best games of the generation and one of the premier reasons that justify HD gaming. The experience wasn't happening and successfully executed on any generation until now.

Right now, the Batman games represents this generation to me as GTA/RE4 did last generation. Makes me want to double dip to see what they can pull off with the controller. It's very good. Get it.

bryanee

I have Arkham Asylum and Arkham City for the 360 with all the DLC and they are without a doubt my two fave games of the generation. I'll be getting the Wii U version aswell, I'm looking forward to what they're doing with the pad.

They nailed pretty much eveything in those games. I spent hours upon hours exploring AC looking for Riddler trophies, not once did it become tedious like some think it is. I wanted more of them.

Nintendo Land..

That is maybe one of the weirdest titles of all time. At E3 2012, everybody thought that Nintendo is crazy for releasing such a game.

And now what? Almost every impression I read on that game has been positive, but not just positive like "Yeah, game is gud" - more like "This is fucking fun, man!".

Asymmetrical gameplay could be more than a buzzword it seems and that's a good thing. I think it's too early too call it a sleeper hit, but I won't underestimate it. Local multiplayer is just the best thing. I can see me and my buddies playing this instead of Halo or something.

I just can't understand why they haven't decided to include both local and online multiplayer. Great when having friends and family around but I live on my own so the majority of the time it's going to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

You would have thought that Nintendo would be keen to showcase their new online infrastructure, Miiverse, Accomplishments, online audio and video chat etc.

andthebeatgoeson

The good thing about Arkham City was the movement. Flying thru the air, grappling all over the place was phenomenal. Even though I hated the layout (only one grappling way around) of the city, I loved how they improved on your grappling movement. And the depth of the movement was stellar (dive bombing, grapple, grapple boost). I can understand how people like the story but I just loved flying around the city, listening over people. They fleshed out the idea that you are this individual over a lot of people, deciding when to intervene and when not too. Makes me excited for the next installment. I think they have a good bead on what makes Batman who he is. I just hope for more Two Face.

Seeing as Nintendo confirmed all their launch games will be 720, and the only outfit so far to comment their game is 1080 is the 2D Scribblenauts studio, I don't think you should have any confidence in saying AC3 will be 1080. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it won't be, but show me any compelling evidence that it will be before I entertain the notion.

I know this is from yesterday, but did this really happen? I don't remember any of Nintendo's bigwigs ever saying anything about 720p. I remember that one of Nintendo's demo reps said that their games at E3 were all running at 720p at the time, that's the closest I remember to it happening.

jmizzal

Just to be clear, I own all 3 consoles this generation. I just didn't buy this game. I'm pretty sure most melee combat fans consider Bayonetta to be the best combat system this generation.

I dont think you know what QTE are

Dr.Hadji

Batman AA doesn't have pure button mashing but it does have intelligent-mashing. Mashing will do you well for a lot of encounters but you just take a break to do a situational counter and go back to mashing. Gadgets as well are mostly auto (for the brawls anyway) as well you kind of use them and react to the changes they caused.

I kind of take what people say about single player combat systems with a grain of salt. They can all be "cheaped". A lot of the dynamics people describe can almost always be bypassed with a little bit of cheese. Sure if you play into the system interesting things can arise but the same can be said about almost any competent combat system.

What holds me back from Arkam City is the character design. I already hate the uninspired designs used for every shooter in this gen (,,dudebro'' etc etc) and here it feels like they took that and tried to mix it with some cartoon aesthetics, which led to an outcome that's beyond terrible. Sometimes, for example in World Ends With You, I could overcome some ridiculous main character design for the greater good, but this... I'm not sure if I could play it without cringing every 5 minutes. And I do not have any kind of emotional connection to Batman comics, so I don't care if its close to the source material or anything, I really feel like this has some of the worst designs I've seen in the past couple of years. Which says something in this generation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom