• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found Arkham Asylum pretty underwhelming, and I'm a huge Batman fan.

I felt that my hand was being held constantly. The game gave the illusion of freedom and depth, but in reality, I was often being led down a narrow path.

With the combat, I felt like control was often taken out of my hands. Like, I'd press a couple of buttons and before I knew it, Batman was jumping everywhere doing all these crazy moves. I didn't feel too involved in what action had just occurred on screen.

I also hated having to constantly switch between normal view and detective mode. In all honesty, I felt that normal mode only became useful to 'check out' the graphics. Playing felt like what Ocarina of Time would be like if you had to play the entire game using the lense of truth.

brainpann

Just left the Wii U Experience and just wanted to say a couple of things. 1st, Project P-100 is a lot of fun. :). Second, the Wii U is even smaller than I expected.

I didn't get a chance to play too many games and Zombie U wasn't on the floor because it was the day for families. Oh well.

StevieP

Banned
This is pretty funny because I've heard a lot of Sony and Microsoft fans saying that they expect native 4k or at least 4k capabilities next gen.

The GPUs will support 4K, but you'd be crazy to think you'll get any games at that resolution. Heck, I wonder if MS/Sony will allow their GPUs to output at that through HDMI.

Even the Wii U GPU should support 2K or around there somewhere, but you'll be getting most of your Wii U titles around 720p.

I'm hoping Okami HD makes its way onto the Wii U. The bush controls would be fantastic using the screen on the Wii U pad. Anything of the sort been mentioned on the Capcom boards?

I should really make a habit of dropping into this thread more often... if only there was some sort of, I don't know, update notifier, nay, a SUBSCRIPTION service of some kind...

Anywho, I'll try and get more involved by posing this question:

If the Gamecube store is available on the e-shop, which 3 games would you like available form day one?

It's a shame you feel that way, because I consider it a wrong stance for this game. And I say this as someone who loathes the "mash attack to win" simplicity of the entire Assassin's Creed series combat system.

Arkham City's combat is deceptive. It looks extremely flashy (largely due to the production budget) and has a simplistic counter mechanism, but you cannot rely on it. Ever gadget works independently, and certain enemies (such as those wielding knives and shields) are immune to standard counters. You can stun, flip over/dodge via jumps, and use your entire gadget arsenal. There's a wide range of tactics to deploy, and though the game certainly leans towards your favour (deliberately so, as the sense of empowerment as Batman is essential), the game quickly throws much more than dudes with fists at you.
Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. I still wouldn't touch it at full price though - maybe $10 or something down the line.

I should really make a habit of dropping into this thread more often... if only there was some sort of, I don't know, update notifier, nay, a SUBSCRIPTION service of some kind...

If the Gamecube store is available on the e-shop, which 3 games would you like available form day one?

Baiten Kaitos. I never got to play the games, and heard good things about them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2. Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes
3. Star Fox Adventures

nordique

Arkham City was exceptional. I agree with EC, if anyone has yet to play the game, its a must-buy on the Wii U.

One of the best games this gen, especially if you enjoy action type games.

Best superhero game for me personally, and many (though not all) share that opinion.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I have almost all the GC games I liked back in the days.
I'd pick up Baten Kaitos origins if available on the PAL market tought

Double Dash, Wind Waker and TTYD

Meelow

Banned

Mario Sunshine
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Metriod Prime.

The way TheMagician describes it makes me want to stay away from it. I played it briefly but damn..I really dont like games with controls thats just animations..that shit equals lack of control.

nordique

Interesting Q

because it would depend on what games are available lol. Tons of great GC games.

Wind Waker would be the only "instant" buy for me. Only played through it once when it came out.

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes as the second. Same with this, played it once. Love MGS.

Perhaps Paper Mario as the third one as I never played it.

I've played other classics like Metroid Prime and Re4 to death or multiple times so they wouldn't be as "fresh" for me. I don't like getting games just for the sake of having them so I wouldn't download titles that are simply "high rated" and whatnot.

Nibel

F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker (assuming that they are HD remastered in some way).

Ryoku

This is pretty funny because I've heard a lot of Sony and Microsoft fans saying that they expect native 4k or at least 4k capabilities next gen.

Native 4k is not going to happen. Nope. GPUs may support 4k resolutions--as in, if you have a 4k video, the video will be able to play on whatever screen you have (though, I don't know why you would want a 4k video on a screen any size less). It may support 4k resolution televisions (upscaling) which most GPUs today do anyways, so it's nothing special. But native 4k is far more than a long shot at this point.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Wind Waker using the Gamepad as the Tingle Tuner has to be the obvious one...
Eternal Darkness
Sunshine

Stewox

Banned
Preety boring times ahead, no hardware info, either for a miracle spec sheet release or NDA drop or when they open up the console.

Found myself other things to do, now quakecon2012 is coming up and dont expect anything. Carmack has to completely avoid the topic.

Then i have timeout til september cause of studying .... lets see considering i dont worry about 3rd party launch lineup nor software generally ... usually i dont create any toughts until days before release, i dont discuss anything nor let my self see too much info, i skip large parts of interviews and videos, last time was zelda twilight princess, worked like a charm.

The exceptions are id softwares wiiu stuff if at all soon and the recognition of wiiu zapper control method that may finally push the ugly anslogs out of the FPS space and to see how many studios and which ones will be the the first to see the potential, nintendo will use it o theirs so thats all i will play unless some third party has enough quality game with wiiu zapper support and a proper one! that includes id software, i will not try anything with analogs, as a matter of fact i have my PC for those kinds.

This is the important stuff we need to be worrying and promoting it, nobody may expect it to be the big differentiator .. it is, potential is there it just needs to be recognized, most people have a primitive absolute opinion of what nintendo has shown instead of researching what could be done with this, seeing it just as they told them selfs if you listen the certain important interviews.

Meelow

Banned
Preety boring times ahead, no hardware info, either for a miracle spec sheet release or NDA drop or when they open up the console.

Found myself other things to do, now quakecon2012 is coming up and dont expect anything. Carmack has to completely avoid the topic.

Then i have timeout til september cause of studying .... lets see considering i dont worry about 3rd party launch lineup nor software generally ... usually i dont create any toughts until days before release, i dont discuss anything nor let my self see too much info, i skip large parts of interviews and videos, last time was zelda twilight princess, worked like a charm.

The exceptions are id softwares wiiu stuff if at all soon and the recognition of wiiu zapper control method that may finally push the ugly anslogs out of the FPS space and to see how many studios and which ones will be the the first to see the potential, nintendo will use it o theirs so thats all i will play unless some third party has enough quality game with wiiu zapper support and a proper one! that includes id software, i will not try anything with analogs, as a matter of fact i have my PC for those kinds.

This is the important stuff we need to be worrying and promoting it, nobody may expect it to be the big differentiator .. it is, potential is there it just needs to be recognized, most people have a primitive absolute opinion of what nintendo has shown instead of researching what could be done with this, seeing it just as they told them selfs if you listen the certain important interviews.

Their is the Dragon Quest X Nintendo Direct later today, their could be a chance we can see the Wii U version of the game.

AzaK

Sunshine
Windwaker
Starfox Adventures

jerd

Rogue Squadron II
Mario Sunshine
Baten Kaitos

I've never played any of these games and I am ashamed.

Bonus Pick: Eternal Darkness

Rented this one once and completed it, but didn't feel like I got nearly enough time with it.

The GPUs will support 4K, but you'd be crazy to think you'll get any games at that resolution. Heck, I wonder if MS/Sony will allow their GPUs to output at that through HDMI.

Even the Wii U GPU should support 2K or around there somewhere, but you'll be getting most of your Wii U titles around 720p.

Not being a PC gamer I don't know, but how common are 4K PC games at the moment and how much is, say, a 4K 32" display? I'm pretty sre 4K TVs are some way off and seeing as the 720 will be designed to be a livingroom TV box, well.. you can work the rest out.

StevieP

Banned
Not being a PC gamer I don't know, but how common are 4K PC games at the moment and how much is, say, a 4K 32" display? I'm pretty sre 4K TVs are some way off and seeing as the 720 will be designed to be a livingroom TV box, well.. you can work the rest out.

You need so much hardware power to render a typical game at 4K it's not even worth talking about. This hardware power is not present is any of the next gen consoles. I have no idea how much a 4K display is, but I can pretty safely say that it's about a decade away from any kind of practical adoption on a consumer level.

Penguin

Speaking of Batman titles, while I know Arkham City/Asylum get a lot of love, and deservedly so... I also would highly recommend checking out The Brave and the Bold on the Wii to get your beat-em up fix.

Fantastic little game that could be had for cheap.

You need so much hardware power to render a typical game at 4K it's not even worth talking about. This hardware power is not present is any of the next gen consoles. I have no idea how much a 4K display is, but I can pretty safely say that it's about a decade away from any kind of practical adoption on a consumer level.

Thought so. That's what gets me about some MS/Sony fans; they seem to have this fantasy that these companies can and will pull technology from Tomorrow's World out of their arse which is connected to the aether, stuff that PC gamers haven't and won't properly get for some time, all at a price that'll sell to the general public. I think power tech obsessed folks by nature have very narrow selfish outlooks.

Really? A decade away when we've got "retina display" devices already? I mean, the new 15" Apple Powerbook has a resolution of 2880x1800; if that same screen was just expanded to 21", there you go, a 4k screen (actually a little higher resolution than 4k). And that laptop's GPU can handle multiple external displays in addition to its own, to the point where there are more pixels than all but the highest 4k standard (4096 × 3112), and it can play a 4k video in addition to a couple 1080p videos without a problem. Admittedly, that's not gaming, but I don't think a "typical game" running at 4k would be a problem with today's higher end video cards. Diablo 3 or Portal 2, for example, wouldn't need much power at all to run at that resolution.

Penguin

Pikmin.. since would help people complete the collection at launch.

Luigi's Mansion since it would help cross-promote the launch of the game on the 3DS during the fall.

F-Zero GX.. easy way to gauge interest in a revival early and possibly promote its inclusion in NintendoLand

StevieP

Banned
Really? A decade away when we've got "retina display" devices already? I mean, the new 15" Apple Powerbook has a resolution of 2880x1800; if that same screen was just expanded to 21", there you go, a 4k screen (actually a little higher resolution than 4k). And that laptop's GPU can handle multiple external displays in addition to its own, to the point where there are more pixels than all but the highest 4k standard (4096 × 3112).

A 32gigaflop GPU is powering the "retina" resolution on the iPad3, too. Doesn't mean you can drive a game at that resolution.

There is a clear distinction.
If you're talking about the practical adoption of 4K TVs in the typical consumer household, I don't think I will be that far off in saying about a decade. Especially with current HD adoption not being 100% still.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Their is the Dragon Quest X Nintendo Direct later today, their could be a chance we can see the Wii U version of the game.

SE is not going to show the Wii U version of the game when the Wii version they want everyone to buy comes out in 4 days.

A 32gigaflop GPU is powering the "retina" resolution on the iPad3, too. Doesn't mean you can drive a game at that resolution.

There is a clear distinction.
If you're talking about the practical adoption of 4K TVs in the typical consumer household, I don't think I will be that far off in saying about a decade. Especially with current HD adoption not being 100% still.

Not to mention it uses software to double the pixels rendered so it can achieve those monstrous numbers, but not more definition.

To truly render at that resolution would bring both devices to their knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom