• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not to mention it uses software to double the pixels rendered so it can achieve those monstrous numbers, but not more definition.

To truly render at that resolution would bring both devices to their knees

It can most definitely render at that resolution. Albeit with a very noticeable performance dip.

brainpann

I should really make a habit of dropping into this thread more often... if only there was some sort of, I don't know, update notifier, nay, a SUBSCRIPTION service of some kind...

Anywho, I'll try and get more involved by posing this question:

If the Gamecube store is available on the e-shop, which 3 games would you like available form day one?

The Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime

If I could play those on the gamepad, I would be in heaven.

My man! :lol

*high five*

That's pretty impressive. Unless of course you just picked up a brand new N64 last year or something haha

Life/work/other things got in the way? Or just lost interest?

Life definitely. Moved out on my own and would rather struggle than go back to my small hometown with no opportunities. I made a lot of sacrifices and consoles were one of them. The last N64 game I bought was Hybrid Heaven used, but that was well after I got the console and after GC released I believe. Loved that game. I want a sequel Konami.

But I have a stupidly large backlog now thanks to that, haha. I could probably go a couple of years without a Wii U game just from playing games I missed.

SE is not going to show the Wii U version of the game when the Wii version they want everyone to buy comes out in 4 days.

That soon? I was wondering when it was to be released, but I didn't know it was around the corner.

japtor

Not to mention it uses software to double the pixels rendered so it can achieve those monstrous numbers, but not more definition.

To truly render at that resolution would bring both devices to their knees
A lot of stuff renders native on them, stuff that's pushing it draws at a lower resolution to keep performance playable.

(Also on the MBP you can set it to a virtual 1920x1200 or something to get more space on screen, which is actually drawing at 3840x2400 then scaled down to the display)

big_erk

Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. I still wouldn't touch it at full price though - maybe $10 or something down the line.

Baiten Kaitos. I never got to play the games, and heard good things about them.

I played a lot of Baiten Kaitos and really enjoyed it. I need to really start it up again and play through it. The card battle system was unique and I thought it was a lot of fun.

Since I don't care for multipliers without a tangible number for "x", I won't make that comparison. MS claimed the actual games would be 6x 360, but that's old info as well. It's still early though. At worst Xbox 3 should be about to run current 360 games at 1080p, stable framerates, and other improvements.

I side more with DF on that tech demo.

Thanks. A quick search shows that drive is made by Seagate now instead of Samsung. I didn't have a problem with the last Seagate I had, but I wanted to try a different drive. Plus I recently found a refurbished one for $60. And the Antec's were too big for my liking. You may have missed it, but I decided on the case and power supply I'm going with.

Yup, saw that after I posted. Antec cases certainly are huge, my 1200 weighs a bloody tonne lololol

Plenty of good quality fans though so cooling isn't a problem.

Ooh! Going to lose my Junior status soon! ;oP

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I was browsing around on the site of a former working partner (when I was in retail), PAN Vision. It's one of the largest distributors of video games in Scandinavia. Anyway, while their Wii U section was sparse on titles, there are actually some dates marked:

Rise Of The Guardians

Format: WIIU
Supplier: NAMCO BANDAI Partners
Release date: 30.09.2012
Product number: 4932ROG
EAN: 3391891966719

http://www.panvision.com/1/1.0.1.0/33/1/?item=prod_prod-s1/54252&group=prod_prod_grp-s1/1835

The date 30th of September is most likely inaccurate due to the following quote from D3Publisher:

Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game will be available at retail on November 23rd, 2012 to coincide with the theatrical release of the film.
Also, the cover is nothing to get excited about, it's just a poorly done shop. Interesting though is that they have chosen the NA cover which differs very much from the European version. It's not like they couldn't have taken the Wii cover and slapped some PEGI marker on it.

The other title is Sonic, with the announced release date (for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Vita and 3DS):

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Format: WIIU
Supplier: Sega
Release date: 16.11.2012
Product number: 49861SART
EAN: 5055277019182

http://www.panvision.com/1/1.0.1.0/33/1/?item=prod_prod-s1/54242&group=prod_prod_grp-s1/1835

All this may seem trivial, but having worked with this company I can say they are adamant on details and rarely put up unverified release dates in this format (if they don't know, it's often written something like 32.12.2039). Also, they leaked release dates for both StarCraft II and Star Wars: The Old Republic way before Blizzard respectively EA did. And those dates were spot on. If it says much about this I don't know, but they haven't got a bad track record anyway.

I also tried searching the EAN numbers (GTIN is the correct name) via GS1, but the servers did not want to cooperate. Perhaps someone else can try, choose "Search by barcode (GTIN)". I've never seen PAN Vision use faulty bar codes anyway.

On another note with the acquisition price that PAN Vision has on Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, I cannot see the MSRP being any greater than an equivalence of $54.99.

Meelow

Banned
Not 100% about Wii U but what's this all about?.

specs-1.jpg

It can most definitely render at that resolution. Albeit with a very noticeable performance dip.

Notice I said "without bringing it to its knees"

Also, I do have to agree with everyone else there won't be any Wii-U footage on the ND tonight. Why would they show off a graphically superior version mere days before the first version is released?

Rafaelcsa

I have all or almost all Gamecube games I want to play already either on their original discs or as NPC versions. So I guess I'm more interested in learning about how Nintendo will follow up the platforms which are already on VC. I'm dying for three games in particular: Castlevania Bloodlines, Yoshi's Island and Star Fox. If these three show up on the Wii U eShop I'll be happy.

And I'd be even more happy if Nintendo gets Saturn and/or Dreamcast games on the service.

AzaK

Not 100% about Wii U but what's this all about?.

specs-1.jpg

About the only thing that would worry me in that list, relative to the Wii U would be that Raytracer thing. I have no idea what is currently available and whether it would be a massive part of the graphic pipeline or just for additional bits and pieces. If it's essentially the core of their graphics then I can see Wii U being shit outta luck with the downports.

Interesting nonetheless.

Haha 4k won't be a "standard" for at least 15 years maybe longer. The problem with expecting any resolution above 1080p is that people won't upgrade their televisions for another decade. Tvs are the longest electronics that people have. I believe the average ownership of a television is around a decade. Also television companies just did a very expensive upgrade and are still only outputting at 720p.

tkscz

About the only thing that would worry me in that list, relative to the Wii U would be that Raytracer thing. I have no idea what is currently available and whether it would be a massive part of the graphic pipeline or just for additional bits and pieces. If it's essentially the core of their graphics then I can see Wii U being shit outta luck with the downports.

Interesting nonetheless.

Many people have said this already, Ray tracing isn't something that is possible gameplay wise with todays or even 2014's technology.

Meelow

Banned

Interesting nonetheless.

Sorry for the stupid question but what is Raytracer?.

Ooh! Going to lose my Junior status soon! ;oP

Congrats. You would have been there sooner if you didn't spend time debating with Darj and MPDB or however you spell it. :p

Yup, saw that after I posted. Antec cases certainly are huge, my 1200 weighs a bloody tonne lololol

Plenty of good quality fans though so cooling isn't a problem.

I have an NZXT Phantom, and it's sexy, too :)

This is what I settled on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G512JM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

16" high and deep with the option for four 120mm fans.

Interesting nonetheless.

When I've seen a raytracer talked about, it's either as a replacement to the ROPs or in a hybrid design with them if I remember correctly.

JordanN

Banned
Sorry for the stupid question but what is Raytracer?.
Ray tracer or ray tracing is type of graphics rendering technique that involves tracing the path of light in a scene.

It gives highly realistic results but the performance cost for it is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Meelow

Banned
Ray tracer or ray tracing is type of graphics rendering technique that involves tracing the path of light in a scene.

It gives highly realistic result the performance cost is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

So that would just boost the game cost which would hurt devs more.

jerd

While skimming my snes cataclog, I developed a new theory based on leaked documents that don't exist. Retro studios presents... Actraiser 3.

Seriously though Nintendo needs to reboot that shit

JordanN

Banned
If it's essentially the core of their graphics then I can see Wii U being shit outta luck with the downports.

Interesting nonetheless.

This post reminds me that the HD 4000 (architecture Wii U is based on) has been shown to be capable of ray tracing although the technology for it required the aid of cloud computing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTOY
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/12/amd-cinema-2-0-tech-demo-real-time-photo-realistic-human-models/
http://tlundmark.blogspot.ca/2008/07/amd-to-realtime-ray-tracing-with-cinema.html

nordique

Life definitely. Moved out on my own and would rather struggle than go back to my small hometown with no opportunities. I made a lot of sacrifices and consoles were one of them. The last N64 game I bought was Hybrid Heaven used, but that was well after I got the console and after GC released I believe. Loved that game. I want a sequel Konami.

But I have a stupidly large backlog now thanks to that, haha. I could probably go a couple of years without a Wii U game just from playing games I missed.

Thats awesome to hear. I can relate, I just recently got back into gaming when Skyward Sword & Arkham City came out last fall. I went through something similar though not as long of a hiatus as you did form the hobby.

Never played Hybrid Heaven though, was it an exclusive title for N64? What was it like?

And yes...getting a Wii U is perfect for something like that. I can imagine what your backlog must be like...the Wii alone has a ton of great titles. I caught up on a bunch myself, and there are many excellent Wii games. I'm sure backwards compatibility alone with keep you busy (good thing as Wii titles are now cheap) never mind the virtual console including the likely Gamecube downloads.

While skimming my snes cataclog, I developed a new theory based on leaked documents that don't exist. Retro studios presents... Actraiser 3.

Seriously though Nintendo needs to reboot that shit

I keep hearing things like this. Does nintendo even own the rights to the game? A google search showed me that both games were published by squeenix. And what about the game would make a new sequel for the wii u work? I'm just curious

I really doubt that ray-tracing will play a significant factor in next gen. Too much performance cost in lieu of other viable alternatives.

Next-next gen seems completely plausible, though.

BG, do you have anything to say about the supposed leaked Durango kit?

Check out the thread for loads of fun. :)

Thats awesome to hear. I can relate, I just recently got back into gaming when Skyward Sword & Arkham City came out last fall. I went through something similar though not as long of a hiatus as you did form the hobby.

Never played Hybrid Heaven though, was it an exclusive title for N64? What was it like?

And yes...getting a Wii U is perfect for something like that. I can imagine what your backlog must be like...the Wii alone has a ton of great titles. I caught up on a bunch myself, and there are many excellent Wii games. I'm sure backwards compatibility alone with keep you busy (good thing as Wii titles are now cheap) never mind the virtual console including the likely Gamecube downloads.

It was exlusive. Hybrid Heaven's title was appropriate because it was like a combination of action, adventure, turn-based RPG, martial arts, and wresting all in a sci-fi setting. It also took advantage of the memory expansion pack. The gameplay consists of leveling up your character's arms, legs, and head to improve your kicks, punches, headbutts, grapples, and combos to fight the enemies in a turn-based RPG style. While the quality isn't good, here is a boss battle from the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6g169ccFk

I forgot that you can also suffer damage to parts of your body affecting how you defend and attack.

He said he was highly skeptical of that it was an Nvidia GPU, but 8GB+ is what he's been saying for a while now in this thread.

fixed

Banned
Is there anybody here who hasn't played Arkham City?

Because if you haven't, or couldn't, please get it for the Wii U. Pretty please.

Thanks.
I want to get it for Pc to experience my first tesselation game. Why are you recommending the Wii U version?

ugoo18

To show EA that there is an audience for "core" games on Wii U.

No that shows there is a market for year old ports, if people want to show there is a market for core games then buying things like Alien Colonial Marines, Medal of Honor Warfighter, FIFA and other current or future multiplat titles (Note: Those are only examples of games rather than my definition of core) and 3rd party exclusives are more likely to help.

donny2112

To show EA that there is an audience for "core" games on Wii U.

Lost cause anytime near launch, I'd think. It'll probably take years of strong sales to make a sizeable dent in their apparent mindset. Thankfully, Arkham City is by Warner Bros., and they seem to be more open to Wii U from the get go.

Banned
Tropico, Starcraft, and Age of Empires II.

Lately it's been AoEIII with my laptop cursing me even on low settings.
I've lost 1000's of hours to starcraft and its used map settings alone! I stopped playing sc2 once school started up. I should get back into it.

I've lost 1000's of hours to starcraft and its used map settings alone! I stopped playing sc2 once school started up. I should get back into it.

I'm too methodical to do well against human players in RTS games. I watch those SC vids of competitive play and just SMH at how bad they make me look, though "non-pros" would do the same, haha. I would probably improve though if I played against humans though. An RTS on Wii U might help with that.

JAYinHD

Check out the thread for loads of fun. :)

It was exlusive. Hybrid Heaven's title was appropriate because it was like a combination of action, adventure, turn-based RPG, martial arts, and wresting all in a sci-fi setting. It also took advantage of the memory expansion pack. The gameplay consists of leveling up your character's arms, legs, and head to improve your kicks, punches, headbutts, grapples, and combos to fight the enemies in a turn-based RPG style. While the quality isn't good, here is a boss battle from the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6g169ccFk

I forgot that you can also suffer damage to parts of your body affecting how you defend and attack.

fixed

It's funny that Hybrid Heaven was brought up but I took a brief 3 year hiatus from gaming and that was the first game I bought after jumping back onto the scene. That game basically brought me back from the brink of putting the joystick down for good.

I loved the leveling system in that game as I though it was pretty deep back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom