• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny that Hybrid Heaven was brought up but I took a brief 3 year hiatus from gaming and that was the first game I bought after jumping back onto the scene. That game basically brought me back from the brink of putting the joystick down for good.

I loved the leveling system in that game as I though it was pretty deep back in the day.

I agree about the depth. That's probably why I got so hooked on the game. Making my own combos was one of my favorite things. That and being able to attack an enemy on the ground if you knock or throw them down. Even if they didn't make a Hybrid Heaven 2, I would definitely like to see another game using the same gameplay mechanics. I'd like to see where they could take it on modern hardware.

The Xbox 720 thread is getting like that now as well.

Yeah. I've had my fun, but I think I'm ready to move on from it now.

How did that 720 thread end up? Looks like it dropped off. Did they cry themselves to sleep after my Jesus with a soldering iron joke? Honestly, I've seen guys have less serious reactions after someone insulted their mum! Talk about touchy.

AzaK

How did that 720 thread end up? Looks like it dropped off. Did they cry themselves to sleep after my Jesus with a soldering iron joke? Honestly, I've seen guys have less serious reactions after someone insulted their mum! Talk about touchy.

For the record, I thought that was an hilarious comment - well done :)

Stewox

Banned
Haha 4k won't be a "standard" for at least 15 years maybe longer. The problem with expecting any resolution above 1080p is that people won't upgrade their televisions for another decade. Tvs are the longest electronics that people have. I believe the average ownership of a television is around a decade. Also television companies just did a very expensive upgrade and are still only outputting at 720p.

1080i

720p is rip-off

Idont think Im gonna buy a Wii U till the new Super Mario Galaxy style game is released. What do you think of that gang?

You should never buy a console on premise alone. For me the WiiU will be worth it on day one for Rayman Legends and ZombiU... (Ubisoft of all companies having my personal killer apps... what is the world coming to)

I think waiting for a proper 3D Mario game to decide about a purchase is rather clever.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I would already have various titles that could be interesting in the launch window.
among esclusive first/second party (pikmin 3, p100, new mario), thid party esclusive (rayman and zombiu) and third party multiplat (ac3, alien) I would be busy for the first months.

But the actual absolute silence about the following months is scarying, so I'd wait for:
1) price tag
2) unveil of new games (both for 2013, but I'd admit that also games for the launch window as Fifa, Cod, RE6 or DS3 could dissipate my fears pushing me for D1)

DynamicG

I checked out when it hit the PS1 VS Saturn debate. Some folks are pretty sensitive if you suggest that the Xbox won't have 8 gigs of RAM. Some people just cannot discuss things without placing some sort of judgement value on it, so speculating on hardware is impossible because you never get to the point where you discuss nuance and instead have to endlessly recycle "So much better than the PS4 will this be?" or "WiiU isn't next generation because it won't have enough RAM."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Idont think Im gonna buy a Wii U till the new Super Mario Galaxy style game is released. What do you think of that gang?

I think you should buy whatever makes you happy, when you are happy to buy it. Allegiances are stupid, and early adopting without needing to is foolish. Buy when you feel most comfortable doing so, not when other people want you to.

Arkham City is a masterpiece. You can get a bit overwhelmed with how much stuff there is to do but it's not a huge issue. It should cost like $39.99 if their pricing is reasonable. I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for a year+ old game even if it's the "Armored Edition" and a "totally new game" (derp) like Reggie was saying to Keighley. If it costs 60 just wait for a price drop imo, no need to support that practice.

Makes my head hurt.

Will any of you be more likely to check out 3rd party games, just to show your support? Its a pretty interesting subject...

If a game like ZombiU sells a shedload then that should pave the way for other 3rd party developers to bring games of that nature to the system, which would be great.

So yeh I will be buying ZombiU not only because it looks interesting, but to show my support for Ubisoft, and what they are doing with that game.

Yup, saw that after I posted. Antec cases certainly are huge, my 1200 weighs a bloody tonne lololol

Plenty of good quality fans though so cooling isn't a problem.

Ooh! Going to lose my Junior status soon! ;oP

Nice congrats! I remember you your that reasonable bloke from the GT Wii-U thread. Ya that place is pretty awful to read through but some people will occasionally post some new news.

Anyone get a chance to watch the Dragon Quest X ND? Im not one to really sit through a 30+min Japanese presentation of a game unless its the Wii-U version TBH.

Arkham City is a masterpiece. You can get a bit overwhelmed with how much stuff there is to do but it's not a huge issue. It should cost like $39.99 if their pricing is reasonable. I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for a year+ old game even if it's the "Armored Edition" and a "totally new game" (derp) like Reggie was saying to Keighley. If it costs 60 just wait for a price drop imo, no need to support that practice.

Aren't Game of the Year editions allways full price? Armored Edition is just a fancy word for this GotY rerelease.

prag16

Banned
Do what you want to do. That 3D Mario (I don't see it as a new Super Mario Galaxy) you want will probably reveal next year.

For some reason the Galaxy games didn't hold my interest the same way 64 and Sunshine did. I hope the next "proper" 3D Mario game is a little more like the aforementioned games than the Galaxy series.

That said, it's not like I won't buy it either way.

The_Lump

Banned
If a game like ZombiU sells a shedload then that should pave the way for other 3rd party developers to bring games of that nature to the system, which would be great.

So yeh I will be buying ZombiU not only because it looks interesting, but to show my support for Ubisoft, and what they are doing with that game.

Exactly. But at the same time I don't want to reward rubbish games, just because I want more 3rd party titles. Its a tricky situation. Luckily, ZombiU and P-100 look amazing - so I think they will at leats sell very well.

Not so sure about Arkham City though and I'm not too pleased at the thought of the WiiU's potential being judged by sales of an older game like that - even if its a very good older game.

The_Lump

Banned
Like Red Steel and RE4?

I cant speak for RE4 (never played) but the difference with Red Steel was that the game was pants and the waggle was pretty poorly executed. With ZU it looks like they have at least tried to make interesting use of the pad and early reports are that it works well.

And besides...we were rewarded with Red Steel 2 :D

Edit: ¦( double post

Another crazy idea:

What if the Wii U tablet could maintain videochat while you're playing a MP game?
Now that's not that crazy, but what if your opponent saw a AR-augmented view of the guy you're videochatting and playing with, and as monsters and stuff appear on the screen lurking behind your compatriot you have to touch the touchscreen and zap the enemies.

All while playing the game on the TV.

Another crazy idea:

What if the Wii U tablet could maintain videochat while you're playing a MP game?
Now that's not that crazy, but what if your opponent saw a AR-augmented view of the guy you're videochatting and playing with, and as monsters and stuff appear on the screen lurking behind your compatriot you have to touch the touchscreen and zap the enemies.

All while playing the game on the TV.

Imagine a livefeed of your opponents on Mario Kart (with the option to mute)... with Highlight Photographs for the after race delight.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Eguchi interviewed about the Wii U.

“Adding a Pro controller may make it easier for multi-platform games to come out on the system,” says Eguchi. “Wii remotes don't have things like analog sticks. To make it as easy as possible to enjoy certain multiplayer experiences it was important to have that Pro controller.”

“We're all gamers as well and we appreciate the interest of those [hardcore] gamers, and we don't want them to feel left out, so we're making big strides and changes in that area.”

More at the link.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/nintend...ii-U-the-first-new-home-console-in-six-years/

TriGen

On topic:

I guess we may get a release date for the Wii U by early September if the Gamestop rumor is true.

I do expect a release date announcement in early September but I missed the GS rumor, did GS say that's when they were going to start taking pre-orders, or something like that?

I should really make a habit of dropping into this thread more often... if only there was some sort of, I don't know, update notifier, nay, a SUBSCRIPTION service of some kind...

Anywho, I'll try and get more involved by posing this question:

If the Gamecube store is available on the e-shop, which 3 games would you like available form day one?

1)Zelda: Wind Waker.
2)Skies Of Arcadia

Then I'm torn between F-Zero GX, Wave Race: Blue Storm and Mario Kart: Double Dash!.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Not sure if this has been posted. Interview with the Little Inferno devs. What struck me was how highly they speak of NOA - so much so, they seem to be delaying the release of the other format versions until the Wii U is out!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/07/interview_tomorrow_corporation_little_inferno

NL: Are you hoping to launch alongside the Wii U?

Gray: We’re planning on releasing Wii U, Windows, Mac and Linux versions when the Wii U launches.

NL: How hands-on has Nintendo been, considering the Wii U hardware is as of yet unreleased?

Gray: Nintendo has been very supportive, but have kept their little white Mario gloves from getting covered in soot.

NL: What do you see Nintendo doing to attract more independent developers?

Gray: If the Wii U is half as unique as the Wii we’ll see a number of independent developers flocking to Nintendo. A lot of gamers continue to give them flack, but they’ve been pushing gaming in new directions. On the business side, Nintendo of America has been an amazing partner to work with; they’re supportive without burying you under mountains of paperwork.

Effect

Perfectly reasonable. People should buy systems because there are games they really want to play. Not simply because it's a new system. If the 3D Mario is what you really want and nothing else (there might be games you're interested in but none that are "must haves") then there is no problem at all if you wait for it and buy the system once it's coming out.

I personally have more reasons to wait then to get it at launch. Been going back and forth but have recently typed reasons down to help make up my mind. For me there has yet to be a "must have" game announced even though there are several I'm just interested in. They're coming (when?) but why spend money now (at launch atm) when you don't have to is how I'm looking at it to be honest. There are far more games coming on the platforms I do have that are "must haves" to me and my gaming budget would be better spent there then on the system that at best would be used to just replace my Wii as I continue to play through some of the Wii games I haven't finished yet.

The_Lump

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted. Interview with the Little Inferno devs. What struck me was how highly they speak of NOA - so much so, they seem to be delaying the release of the other format versions until the Wii U is out!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/07/interview_tomorrow_corporation_little_inferno

I'm loving the positive vibes which seem to be coming out of smaller developers regarding WiiU. It really is a good sign.

And thats a pretty big revelation that they're releasing corss-platform "when the WiiU is out". Maybe they're realising the potential boost from having the game be brand new on its wii u release?

Exactly. But at the same time I don't want to reward rubbish games, just because I want more 3rd party titles. Its a tricky situation. Luckily, ZombiU and P-100 look amazing - so I think they will at leats sell very well.

Not so sure about Arkham City though and I'm not too pleased at the thought of the WiiU's potential being judged by sales of an older game like that - even if its a very good older game.

Uh yeah if ZombiU gets rubbish reviews I doubt I'll buy it, I'm am a gamer after all :) I'm staying optimistic for now though.

Yeh if Arkham City sells like crap on Wii U I'd hope the publisher has the sense to put the reason down to it to being a year old game, rather than to assume games like that wont sell on the system.

chris3116

Pretty cool to see some positive news from the indies. Nintendo really has to court these developers.I think the Wii U eshop will have many gems on the service.

Pretty cool to see some positive news from the indies. Nintendo really has to court these developers.I think the Wii U eshop will have many gems on the service.

Yeah looking like they will have a decent amount of downloadable titles day one. Good to see some of the changes Nintendo has made in regards to online seem to be paying off. Hopefully their success with indies translates to the bigger guys as well. Even if not, it shows that Nintendo is actually trying to gain support. It seems like some people think they don't even try.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But at the same time I don't want to reward rubbish games, just because I want more 3rd party titles. Its a tricky situation.

It shouldn't be tricky. If the games suck or you don't want them, don't buy them. Nobody should feel the need to spend money on material goods they don't want just because they want to send a message. If publishers are not delivering you good quality products, you shouldn't give them any money at all. Quality over quantity, always.

Buying gaming hardware can be likened to an investment, but software shouldn't be.

jacksrb

Between TDKR and all the Arkham City talk in this thread, I am really hoping that Armored Edition comes at well as I would love to play it (haven't played asylum or city).

Yeh if Arkham City sells like crap on Wii U I'd hope the publisher has the sense to put the reason down to it to being a year old game, rather than to assume games like that wont sell on the system.

Except that wouldn't make sense, because "Game of the Year" editions generally sell really well. So if it doesn't sell well, then that points to some other problem than being a year-old-game.

EatChildren

I want to get it for Pc to experience my first tesselation game. Why are you recommending the Wii U version?

Arkham City's tessellation is meh, much like all of the terribly optimised DX11 features. Crysis 2 DX11 is much nicer. And I'm only recommending it to Wii U owners who are unable to get it on other platforms.

tkscz

Question: Since Batman: AC is a year old AND sold well on the other 2 consoles plus PC, does the WiiU version even need to sell more than gold status (which last I checked was 500k units).

Earendil

I think you're giving publishers too much credit.

It shouldn't be tricky. If the games suck or you don't want them, don't buy them. Nobody should feel the need to spend money on material goods they don't want just because they want to send a message. If publishers are not delivering you good quality products, you shouldn't give them any money at all. Quality over quantity, always.

Buying gaming hardware can be likened to an investment, but software shouldn't be.

That worked out really well for the Wii.

Pineconn

Question: Since Batman: AC is a year old AND sold well on the other 2 consoles plus PC, does the WiiU version even need to sell more than gold status (which last I checked was 500k units).

It'll be (unfairly) gauged as how "hardcore" 3rd party titles will do on Wii U, so yes. A few hundred thousand would be nice, but I'm not really expecting it.

Don't feel like bumping the $299 thread so I'll post here, nice job on this MYE lol looks really good-

MYE said:
0uQAA.jpg

EatChildren

That worked out really well for the Wii.

And that sucks, but it's not a problem gamers should feel a duty to remedy. Seriously. If publishers are going to give the Wii U the flick, that's what they're going to do, and you aren't going to be able to stop it. Nor should you, a single gamer, have to.

Buying crap games you don't want doesn't send a publisher the message that you want them it invest in bigger, better titles. It simply sends the message you're willing to support crap. And that's what you'll get: more crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom