• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earendil

And that sucks, but it's not a problem gamers should feel a duty to remedy. Seriously. If publishers are going to give the Wii U the flick, that's what they're going to do, and you aren't going to be able to stop it. Nor should you, a single gamer, have to.

Buying crap games you don't want doesn't send a publisher the message that you want them it invest in bigger, better titles. It simply sends the message you're willing to support crap. And that's what you'll get: more crap.

I completely agree. It just makes me weep for the future of this industry.

donny2112

If the Gamecube store is available on the e-shop, which 3 games would you like available form day one?

Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (w/ 3DS/DS download play support)

Games that would be great, but they won't put out:
Animal Crossing (i.e. "the good one")
Rogue Leader
Rebel Strike

Arkham City's tessellation is meh, much like all of the terribly optimised DX11 features. Crysis 2 DX11 is much nicer. And I'm only recommending it to Wii U owners who are unable to get it on other platforms.

Really? I've actually been waiting on the Wii U version to play this, I even bought the collector's edition and sold the xbox copy of the game.

Banned
Arkham City's tessellation is meh, much like all of the terribly optimised DX11 features. Crysis 2 DX11 is much nicer. And I'm only recommending it to Wii U owners who are unable to get it on other platforms.
Oh ok. I just found out the GOTY version is coming to PC September 7th so I will wait for that :).

Banned
I own all Zelda console games except wind Waker that I sold last year due to a need for some money :(. So my 3 GameCube downloads I would want are:

Wind Waker
F-Zero GX (never played it)
Baiten Kaitos (never played, but I enjoyed all of monoliths games so far)

Banned
All right, so who here is actually looking forward to using the GamePad's motion controls? For example, I loved using the Mario Kart racing wheel as it provided more realistic and accurate movement of the karts. I prefer motion controls for my shooters and racers.

Imagine Starfox Wii U, where you moving the gamepad moves the ArWing?

Mario Kart U, where you tilt the gamepad to simulate a steering wheel and maybe direct a homing missile type item?

All right, so who here is actually looking forward to using the GamePad's motion controls? For example, I loved using the Mario Kart racing wheel as it provided more realistic and accurate movement of the karts. I prefer motion controls for my shooters and racers.

Mario Kart U, where you tilt the gamepad to simulate a steering wheel and maybe direct a homing missile type item?

If they were to sell a stand to turn it into a wheel, sure why not, but the lack of analog triggers pretty much defeats it's usage as an entry level driving wheel to me.

tkscz

You may need to pick up a 3DS, because it gives you the option to play both starfox 64 and Mario Kary 7 exactly like that.

I'm loving the positive vibes which seem to be coming out of smaller developers regarding WiiU. It really is a good sign.

And thats a pretty big revelation that they're releasing corss-platform "when the WiiU is out". Maybe they're realising the potential boost from having the game be brand new on its wii u release?

All signs are pointing to a very friendly environment for small studios on Wii U. That could be a huge win for Nintendo. To be honest, I like the strides they've made on the 3DS eShop though I think they could do better with the VC side. If they started releasing SNES games, weekly/bi-weekly, that are account based on the 3DS I'd be throwing money at them :)

Hoodbury

Random thoughts of the day:

Mii's and user accounts - I believe they have confirmed that you can have 12 user accounts on your Wii-U and those 12 accounts will be created along with a Mii. You can then track your account separately from someone else in your family who also plays on your wii-u.

This is different from the Wii's Mii system in where you could basically create as many Mii's as you want and in games that used Mii's, you could pick whichever mii you wanted.

Is anyone else a little concerned that you are now going to be stuck with using the same Mii for everything? I mainly used the Mii that looked similar to the real life me, but sometimes I was just in the mood to use "Leonidas" Mii after I got done watching 300. Or some of the other crazy looking Mii's I created or got sent.

I suppose this is how it is on the PS3 and Xbox 360 correct? So maybe most people are use to the one account and one avatar system?

This is just a random thought, not a deal breaker or a big deal or anything, just a simple random thought. :p

The director of NintendoLand did another quick interview and now I've heard Nintendo say this a couple times that NintendoLand will have depth to it that Wii-sports never had. But all we've seen is the same demo's from e3 so far and we've seen them plenty of times now. And from what we've seen, there doesn't seem to be any depth to the games. They just seem like simple, quick, fun multiplayer romps with local friends.

When will we start to see or hear what this 'depth' is for Nintendoland? Even trying to speculate on what it could be I can't really come up with anything. I understand it's highly likely there will be more stages for each mini-game that what we have seen so far, but that's more "breadth" than "depth".

I just can't figure it out and they still seem like simple mini games to me that would really only be fun if you have the full 5 people playing.

I've seen a lot of commenting on 3rd party games such as Batman, Mass Effect 3, and Zombi U. Both positive and negative but why isn't there more talk about Assassins Creed 3? Am I wrong in assuming that what games are announced now, this is the biggest budget game coming out for the Wii-U?

Is this a minor cause for concern and maybe why other 3rd party's are hesitant and are doing the wait and see approach? ACIII is even one of the biggest games coming out in 2012 isn't it? But yet I haven't heard much at all about it from Nintendo fans. We've had plenty of 'who's getting what games at launch' posts and threads and rarely have I seen ACIII being in people's lists.

It was demo'd at e3 on the show-floor and there have been clips of it. But it hasn't really been dissected like other gameplay vids have been. Why is this?

It'll be (unfairly) gauged as how "hardcore" 3rd party titles will do on Wii U, so yes. A few hundred thousand would be nice, but I'm not really expecting it.
Well, I'd say overall Assassin's Creed 3 and Darksiders II will be used more heavily to gauge how "hardcore" 3rd party titles will do on Wii U, as both of those will be brand new games. Now, if all three of those tank on Wii-U, then we've got a problem.

tkscz

Well, I'd say overall Assassin's Creed 3 and Darksiders II will be used more heavily to gauge how "hardcore" 3rd party titles will do on Wii U, as both of those will be brand new games. Now, if all three of those tank on Wii-U, then we've got a problem.

The only problem is the fact that these companies release the exact same game on the WiiU with no real incentive to get it. Ubisoft has several games to test this with. So if ZombiU does really well and Assassin's Creed III tanks, then they would at least realize that ports with no incentive aren't the way to go.

The only problem is the fact that these companies release the exact same game on the WiiU with no real incentive to get it. Ubisoft has several games to test this with. So if ZombiU does really well and Assassin's Creed III tanks, then they would at least realize that ports with no incentive aren't the way to go.

Nintendo certainly hasn't helped either with those NDA's on the developers working on the ports. Even if there are any cool enhancements game play wise with the pad, by the time we know about it could be too late. A lot of people have already made up their mind that they are getting these games for 360, Ps3, or PC. Letting them at least talk about games we know are already coming and hyping them up a bit would certainly help.

Banned
You may need to pick up a 3DS, because it gives you the option to play both starfox 64 and Mario Kary 7 exactly like that.
I played both like that and it works but you have to turn the 3D off to experience it and I play with the 3D on full blast. I'm looking forward to how the 3DS XL 3D effect will look like.

So E3 2013 is on June 11th, I'm not really hyped which is good, I won't be disappointed like I was at E3 2012.
It's far too early for me to be excited. Even then, though, after E3 2012, I'll definitely expect less.

Mii's and user accounts - I believe they have confirmed that you can have 12 user accounts on your Wii-U and those 12 accounts will be created along with a Mii. You can then track your account separately from someone else in your family who also plays on your wii-u.

This is different from the Wii's Mii system in where you could basically create as many Mii's as you want and in games that used Mii's, you could pick whichever mii you wanted.

Is anyone else a little concerned that you are now going to be stuck with using the same Mii for everything? I mainly used the Mii that looked similar to the real life me, but sometimes I was just in the mood to use "Leonidas" Mii after I got done watching 300. Or some of the other crazy looking Mii's I created or got sent.

I suppose this is how it is on the PS3 and Xbox 360 correct? So maybe most people are use to the one account and one avatar system?

This is just a random thought, not a deal breaker or a big deal or anything, just a simple random thought. :p

I think each account will allow you to make as many Miis as you want. Each account seems to operate independent of one another. You can have different friends, different games, and hopefully different Miis.

I do hope Nintendo explains Nintendo Network in far more detail. I'm extremely curious with the account system. Will each account be tied to a system? Will there be a complete online ecosystem? Can you log into your own account from any system? Will your digital downloads be tied to your account? How will user names work? Will we be unable to use the same name for two people? Will a new Friend Code system allow us to change our name as many times as we want? Will we be stuck with the name we chose in the beginning? So many questions are left to be answered.

The director of NintendoLand did another quick interview and now I've heard Nintendo say this a couple times that NintendoLand will have depth to it that Wii-sports never had. But all we've seen is the same demo's from e3 so far and we've seen them plenty of times now. And from what we've seen, there doesn't seem to be any depth to the games. They just seem like simple, quick, fun multiplayer romps with local friends.

When will we start to see or hear what this 'depth' is for Nintendoland? Even trying to speculate on what it could be I can't really come up with anything. I understand it's highly likely there will be more stages for each mini-game that what we have seen so far, but that's more "breadth" than "depth".

I just can't figure it out and they still seem like simple mini games to me that would really only be fun if you have the full 5 people playing.
I've been wondering the same thing myself. The game's strength appears to be in local multiplayer, but many people don't have that luxury. I do recall reading that each game will be modified to work with less players, but I'll have to see those iterations to be convinced that I'll have fun playing by myself. We still have more games to be revealed, so I hope these games will be interesting. I already liked Battle Mii from E3 2011. The F-Zero game could use a drastic boost in speed, though.

I've seen a lot of commenting on 3rd party games such as Batman, Mass Effect 3, and Zombi U. Both positive and negative but why isn't there more talk about Assassins Creed 3? Am I wrong in assuming that what games are announced now, this is the biggest budget game coming out for the Wii-U?

Is this a minor cause for concern and maybe why other 3rd party's are hesitant and are doing the wait and see approach? ACIII is even one of the biggest games coming out in 2012 isn't it? But yet I haven't heard much at all about it from Nintendo fans. We've had plenty of 'who's getting what games at launch' posts and threads and rarely have I seen ACIII being in people's lists.

It was demo'd at e3 on the show-floor and there have been clips of it. But it hasn't really been dissected like other gameplay vids have been. Why is this?
I'm not entirely sure myself, but I think Batman and Mass Effect on Wii U are particularly interesting because they have been release months earlier. People may be intrigued by how well the game will do because of this. Zombi U is an exclusive, so that's probably why there's more discussion happening there.

But I'm just explaining why people are talking about the aforementioned games. I can't exactly explain why people aren't discussing games like Assassin's Creed III or Darksiders II as much, however.

If there's one thing I want Nintendo to do with Nintendo Network, it's Betas. I actually like the idea of closed Betas. I've been in the PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale threads, and the enthusiasm after the Beta came was rather infectious. You had people using exploits or begging for codes. I know this is just NeoGAF, but there was just so much excitement. I love the idea of playing a demo that was once confined to gaming events such as E3.

Well

"Brand new" is kind of a misappropriation of the term here.

One is coming out a few months late and the other is probably coming out around two weeks later.

That is a long enough time for those games' hype cycles to die down.

Yeh if Arkham City sells like crap on Wii U I'd hope the publisher has the sense to put the reason down to it to being a year old game, rather than to assume games like that wont sell on the system.

They didn't realize that when year old ports to the Gamecube sold less than the others. I'm not expecting them to realize that now.

Hoodbury

Well

One is coming out a few months late and the other is probably coming out around two weeks later.

All the more reason for Nintendo to drop the NDA and let these 3rd parties talk about their Wii-U versions of the games. They are already doing pre-orders for those two games so Ninty is going to lose out on all those early buyers. They just don't seem to be doing themselves any benefits by zipping the lips of these devs who want to share their work with us customers.

Anth0ny

So E3 2013 is on June 11th, I'm not really hyped which is good, I won't be disappointed like I was at E3 2012.

What do you mean? Next year will be the best E3 yet!

PS4
Xbox 720
Metal Gear Solid 5
Halo 5
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Final Fantasy XV
Street Fighter V
Next gen versions of all our favorite franchises, like COD and Assassin's Creed

Not to mention Nintendo will come out with the big guns to counter its competition:

Super Mario Universe
Smash 4
Zelda Wii U
Zelda 3DS
F-Zero U
Retro's New IP

It's gonna be amazing! Only 315 days remain! GET HYPE!

fuck e3

JAYinHD

Well, I am more than willing to pay a full $60 for Batman when it comes to the Wii U. Though I have all 3 current gen systems (may not be the case next gen as there is one I regret purchasing) I still have yet to play Arkham City so paying the full $60 is something I'm more than willing to do for quality titles. For me personally, there was no reason to buy it on the HD twins when the definite version (more content, Upad support,etc) should be on Wii U. Another day 1 for me.

Meelow

Banned

PS4
Xbox 720
Metal Gear Solid 5
Halo 5
Final Fantasy XV
Street Fighter V

Not to mention Nintendo will come out with the big guns to counter its competition:

Super Mario Universe
Smash 4
Zelda Wii U
Zelda 3DS
F-Zero U
Retro's New IP

fuck e3

YOUR RIGHT! :D

Still not getting hyped

JAYinHD

PS4
Xbox 720
Metal Gear Solid 5
Halo 5
Final Fantasy XV
Street Fighter V

Super Mario Universe
Smash 4
Zelda Wii U
Zelda 3DS
F-Zero U
Retro's New IP

fuck e3

I bet Nintendo spread all those titles out via Nintendo Direct and show games like Just Dance 5, Sing 2, and Wii U fit 2 lol. I guess E3 is not what it once was.

Do you think the 3DS OS will see many visual/functional updates pre/post U launch? Didn't they say they'll be adding user accounts to the 3DS before U launch!?! Also, I thought it'd make sense if they got Miiverse on the 3DS too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Do you think the 3DS OS will see many visual/functional updates pre/post U launch? Didn't they say they'll be adding user accounts to the 3DS before U launch!?! Also, I thought it'd make sense if they got Miiverse on the 3DS too.

could be considering that they already stated that Miiverse will be accessible through the 3ds

chris3116

I bet Nintendo spread all those titles out via Nintendo Direct and show games like Just Dance 5, Sing 2, and Wii U fit 2 lol. I guess E3 is not what it once was.

I can see the big games like Mario and Zelda still coming to E3 but the rest I can see them on Nintendo Directs.

jacksrb

2. The director of NintendoLand did another quick interview and now I've heard Nintendo say this a couple times that NintendoLand will have depth to it that Wii-sports never had. But all we've seen is the same demo's from e3 so far and we've seen them plenty of times now. And from what we've seen, there doesn't seem to be any depth to the games. They just seem like simple, quick, fun multiplayer romps with local friends.

For me, NintendoLand is my most anticipated title. With all the me-too games out there, NintendoLand will a) offer something you probably haven't experienced before and b) highlight the functionality of the wii u gamepad.

I really enjoyed playing a lot of Wii Sports and Resort solo (especially golf), but agree that without local multi you will be missing out on the best it has to offer. I assume we will see something akin to Resort's stamp system to keep you playing.

I do cringe when people decry it as a minigame collection that they would never play unless it was free/packed in. There are quite a few games that you can finish in 10 hours or so, and for me I will probably play this game a lot more than that. If it is a really fun and unique time, it is probably the money for me.

could be considering that they already stated that Miiverse will be accessible through the 3ds

As long as it's integrated or an app and not via the browser. Oh, and it's like the U version, not just the twitter-like feed they shown. To be honest I'm not a massive fan of the 3DS GUI so a massive Miiverse update would be nice.

They should've converted Nintendoland into the Wreck-it-Ralph exclusive tie in... just seems like the concepts go together far too well to have been ignored...

PS4
Xbox 720
Shooter
Shooter thats like previous shooter
Shooter that ruined beloved franchise/IP
Action franchised turned shooter that mimics other shooters
Action franchised turned uncharted
QTE Games!
Uncharted clones!
Watchdogs :D
Star Wars 1313!
Franchise turned into MMO IP
S

Super Mario Universe
Smash 4
Zelda Wii U
Zelda 3DS
F-Zero U
Retro's New IP

fuck e3
fixed :p

Well

Eh? Assassin's Creed's creative director specifically said that the Wii-U version will be complete the same day as the other platforms, why would they suddenly choose to delay it by 2 weeks? And yes, I would even consider the couple months late that Darksiders II will possibly be as "Brand new".

Eh? Assassin's Creed's creative director specifically said that the Wii-U version will be complete the same day as the other platforms, why would they suddenly choose to delay it by 2 weeks? And yes, I would even consider the couple months late that Darksiders II will possibly be as "Brand new".

Assassin's Creed is slated to release at the end of October, and most people believe that Wii U will launch in the middle of November.

Lol, a rumor about Sony and Microsoft teaming up from a Nintendo fansite. I think there would honestly be internet punches thrown through people's monitors over that.

I demand this technology to be invented. The amount of times I wanted to reach through my monitor to punch the douche on the other side.

HeySeuss

Assassin's Creed is slated to release at the end of October, and most people believe that Wii U will launch in the middle of November.

So? Even if that's true, they can still release the game before the console launch. Just like games for the PS3 came out about a week earlier than the console did.

japtor

Another crazy idea:

What if the Wii U tablet could maintain videochat while you're playing a MP game?
Now that's not that crazy, but what if your opponent saw a AR-augmented view of the guy you're videochatting and playing with, and as monsters and stuff appear on the screen lurking behind your compatriot you have to touch the touchscreen and zap the enemies.

All while playing the game on the TV.
This could work as long as you're not playing with the gamepad, or you're playing the game on the gamepad itself, cause if you're playing the game on the TV with the gamepad in a normal controller position...you'd just have a nice view of each other's chin and nostrils.
If they go the 3DS route there might be hats and other accessories like the 360 avatars, in which case you could roll with a spartan helmet or something (which could conveniently come if that gladiators game comes out for Wii U).
Are nintendoenthusiast and wiiudaily run by the same person? <_<
Zelda Informer will get to the bottom of this. (dammit beaten)

Do you believe the Wii U will launch on or before October 31st?

Also, no, a few months is not brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom