• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could work as long as you're not playing with the gamepad, or you're playing the game on the gamepad itself, cause if you're playing the game on the TV with the gamepad in a normal controller position...you'd just have a nice view of each other's chin and nostrils.

…dude, I can play Leon and the person on the other end can be Hunnigan! I do the third person action*, and the other player coordinates military action and supply drops and so forth. And then we chat over the link when we're in safe zones (but no P2P chat normally).

* third person bad one-liners

edit:
Zelda Informer is worse, trust me.

Worse… or better. :D

(Maybe I rate my sites based on how much trolling they generate on GAF)

DrWong

Zelda Informer is worse, trust me.
Please, compare with the last Zelda Informer rumor... ;)

The main idea behind the two upcoming Smash Bros. titles is that of “Retro meets Modern” and that one of the games will be focused on classic retro Nintendo IPs while the other features series from the modern era of Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS. Characters and stages in both games will be available close-platform but we were not briefed on specifics as of yet.

BY2K

Membero Americo

ibvTDsfRI6kqHv.gif

This is the worst "rumor" yet. They post every freaking "info" they get from every freaking "email" they get from every freaking "guy" that "knows a guy" or "I TOTALLY SAY THE GAME, GUYS!"

UGH! Sick of those guys!

Do you believe the Wii U will launch on or before October 31st?

Also, no, a few months is not brand new.

Nintendo is crazy if they miss Black Ops 2's launch date. I refuse to believe they could be that ignorant of how huge Call of Duty launches are.

Edit: EatChildren please put in a request to have that piece of garbage Zeldainformer banned.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo is crazy if they miss Black Ops 2's launch date. I refuse to believe they could be that ignorant of how huge Call of Duty launches are.

Edit: EatChildren please put in a request to have that piece of garbage Zeldainformer banned.

We still don't even know if CoD is going to be there for Wii U's launch.

Alchemy

I don't think it makes sense to try to launch a system in preparation for a Call of Duty game. You're talking about a group of users that don't own a gaming PC, 360, or PS3 that are interested in a CoD game and are interested in becoming Wii U early adopters. I don't see that being a particularly big enough market for Nintendo to attempt to rush the Wii U release for.

It would be different if the Wii U version of BLOPS would just blow everyone's mind, but likely it would be identical to the current gen version plus some throw away touch screen functionality and possibly Wiimote pointer controls. It would be interesting to see if they actually bother supporting the non-standard Wiimote controls.

Call of Duty and Asssassin's Creed are going to be the 2 biggest 3rd party Wii U games for a long time. It would be foolish to at least not be an option for people who want to buy those games even if a bunch of them do have PS3/360. Being on the shelves right then might push someone looking at a Wii U for other reasons to buy the console and that version.

Well that's something Nintendo might have to hope happens. If they can trump the other 2 consoles by having a "Better" version, I wouldn't doubt they would get some people to switch over. Lord knows I'm still waiting for the announcement to justify getting rid of my 360 so far.

The_Lump

Banned
It shouldn't be tricky. If the games suck or you don't want them, don't buy them. Nobody should feel the need to spend money on material goods they don't want just because they want to send a message. If publishers are not delivering you good quality products, you shouldn't give them any money at all. Quality over quantity, always.

Buying gaming hardware can be likened to an investment, but software shouldn't be.

You're right of course, but that's what makes it tricky. There's no real way to 'tell' developers en masse what we think other than with our pockets. But if we're being fed crap then how can we as consumers tell publishers/developers that we'd simply like a different flavour?

I'm not going to purposefully buy a naff game but I'd happily buy an ingenious game which turned out average, if I knew it was designed to test the waters. Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to them, but that's just me.

onilink88

In anticipation of Monolith's new games, I've started a new game(+) on Xenoblade. Going to attempt to finish as many sidequests as possible in a single run and explore each area to its fullest. Currently in the middle of exploring Gaur Plains, and in my opinion, it has to be one of the most well designed areas I've ever seen in a game. It's visual and aural poetry, put simply; the quixotic piece playing in the background as you traverse the impossibly massive vista while bearing witness to the various biomes and landscapes all coalesce into a truly supreme gestalt. I've been running around for almost two hours now and I don't believe I've seen all there is to see yet. And I can't count the number of times where I stopped to just gawk at the scenery. Seriously, holy shit!

I don't expect a game of similar scope from their Wii U project (I imagine that the budget for such a game would be astronomical), but Xenoblade is leaving me salivating for what these master crafters have in store.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have come to realise Nintendo fansites are consistently the worst source of rumours.

In anticipation of Monolith's new games, I've started a new game(+) on Xenoblade. Going to attempt to finish as many sidequests as possible in a single run and explore each area to its fullest. Currently in the middle of exploring Gaur Plains, and in my opinion, it has to be one of the most well designed areas I've ever seen in a game. It's visual and aural poetry, put simply; the quixotic piece playing in the background as you traverse the impossibly massive vista while bearing witness to the various biomes and landscapes all coalesce into a truly supreme gestalt. I've been running around for almost two hours now and I don't believe I've seen all there is to see yet. And I can't count the number of times where I stopped to just gawk at the scenery. Seriously, holy shit!

I don't expect a game of similar scope from their Wii U project (I imagine that the budget for such a game would be astronomical), but Xenoblade is leaving me salivating for what these master crafters have in store.

Xenoblade is amazing, but I worry about the fortune a Xenoblade-esque Wii U title would cost.

Banned
I have come to realise Nintendo fansites are consistently the worst source of rumours.

Xenoblade is amazing, but I worry about the fortune a Xenoblade-esque Wii U title would cost.
$599 US Million dollars. More realistically, I would say a good $60M to make an HD game as big as Xenoblade.

AzaK

Not meaning to change topic of the thread, but is something like Xenoblade on Wii worth playing if I'm more of a Western RPG sort of guy? I tend to be turned off by things like Dragon's Quest etc and the, for want of a better word, "Japaneseness" of those types of games. Things like overly angsty characters, screeds of text and menus out the wazoo are not my thing. However I'm hankering for some really good, fun adventuring and so it's on my radar.

$599 US Million dollars. More realistically, I would say a good $60M to make an HD game as big as Xenoblade.

60 million? No. Maybe with the marketing budget they would want to spend on a game like that. If they actually do plan on spending a lot of money on the game expect it to skew heavily towards western tastes and have an artstyle more like Skyrim and less like Xenoblade.

I hope Nintendo realizes how highly regarded Xenoblade (and Monolith) are. I would hate for them to not release their next game here. The only reason I say this is because of how close this game came to not making it to the states. It was ridiculous that it almost didnt.

Meelow

Banned
I hope Nintendo realizes how highly regarded Xenoblade (and Monolith) are. I would hate for them to not release their next game here. The only reason I say this is because of how close this game came to not making it to the states. It was ridiculous that it almost didnt.

It sold very well here, I'm pretty sure it sold the best in North America so Nintendo of America won't be making that mistake anymore by being scared to release here.

It sold very well here, I'm pretty sure it sold the best in North America so Nintendo of America won't be making that mistake anymore by being scared to release here.

Really? That would be amazing considering Nintendo didn't really market the game much, and it was only sold at Gamestop to preorders and direct sales from Nintendo. Nintendo did everything in their power to make the game fail.

Congrats. You would have been there sooner if you didn't spend time debating with Darj and MPDB or however you spell it. :p

This is what I settled on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G512JM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

16" high and deep with the option for four 120mm fans.

When I've seen a raytracer talked about, it's either as a replacement to the ROPs or in a hybrid design with them if I remember correctly.

Yup, you spelled it correctly, stands for Multiple Personality Disorder Boy lol.

BY2K

Membero Americo
About the ZI rumor, could one of our Japanese speaker take this:

ドンキーコングJR. Donkī Kongu Junia

Donkey Kong Jr.

スタンリー Sutanrii

(ドンキーコング3 Donkī Kongu Surī)

Stanley

マッハライダー Mahha Raidā

Mach Rider

リドリー Ridorii

Ridley

鷹丸 Takamaru

(謎の村雨城 The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

パックマン Pakkuman

Pac-Man

ディグダグ Dig Dug

Dig Dug

And tell me if it's actually well written, or if it's a load of crap?

Do you believe the Wii U will launch on or before October 31st?

Also, no, a few months is not brand new.

Yes I do, Nintendo would be stupid to launch in November this time - they were kinda forced to in the past because of competition also launching in November, but this time they can get the system out *before* the crazy holidays.

And yes, 2 months is still "brand new". If they released Diablo 3 for a game console right now, would you think it would sell horribly because it's an old game nobody cares about anymore?

I know everyone may want to poke fun at the site for the story, but Nintendo Enthusiast is the ONLY fan site that has gained my trust in recent months only because they've been right several times so far.

Read the first part of the article, they have broken several stories in the past before anyone else.

I'm not assuming that what they're suggesting is completely true, but I think they do deserve a little bit more credit then the like of Zelda Informer.

No, because I think their is a new audience to tap on consoles. If on the other hand they released the 360 version along with the PC version and then released the PS3 version soon I think it would sell much worse.

I could see Sony teaming up with Microsoft for a console but not this generation. They have already sent out dev kits for the PS4 and a lot of R&D money. I mean I guess there is the possibility of Sony scrapping it if their financials are as bad this year as they were last year. They can't take another 6 billion dollar hit.

Really? That would be amazing considering Nintendo didn't really market the game much, and it was only sold at Gamestop to preorders and direct sales from Nintendo. Nintendo did everything in their power to make the game fail.

It is true that Nintendo didn't bat an eyelash. I attribute Xenoblade's "success" to operation rainfall. It was a hell of an ad campaign, and did wonders at raising people's awareness of games which may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

To show EA that there is an audience for "core" games on Wii U.

The sales of ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, (maybe) Darksiders 2 and Aliens Colonial Marines will show EA there's an audience for 'core' games on the U. If Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 don't do too well in comparison it will show publishers that year old ports isn't a great idea.

Hopefully we're going to see third parties making some sort of effort to actually market their games on the Nintendo platform. Too many games for the Wii were stealth-released and deserved to sell more than they did - I'm looking at you, Dead Space Extraction!!!

If they max out the WiiU hardware and go SquareEnix like in such a vast world.... Nintendo would kill the Studio in an instant :p

Higher Resoluton Textures were possibly made from the start. Give it better textures, a "little" better animations, some improved NG Shaders, i think such a game would look beautifull in 720p without rising the costs dramatically.

If they want top noche graphics, i think the game would be smaller and have a different design, but that is just a guess. I don´t think nintendo would spend 30mio plus on such a title, i also think Xenoblade didn´t cost too much.

But if they want to hold it against PS4 in japan or design it for more western audiences and make it a prestige title, who knows? Monolithsoft joked about rivaling Bethesda in graphics and that was a long time ago. They also stated that they had HD experience since long time ago ;) Whatever it will be, i´m looking forward to it.

Don´t think it will be Xenoblade like, but it will be amazing, it has to.

So one of them would have to drop out of the console race and become the proverbial slave of the other or sell their gaming division all together....

and If it is true have fun paying $120 for one game because development cost are going to skyrocket....

Uh...what? Knocking a console out of the race would actually drop development costs a nice bit. What you seem to be worried about is that Sony fans would just stop playing games altogether if they dropped out of the console race and while I have seen people saying this (LOL) they will just go to another system.
Monolithsoft joked about rivaling Bethesda in graphics

Not really a huge issue here. Bethesda's games on consoles do not look good.

onilink88

Not meaning to change topic of the thread, but is something like Xenoblade on Wii worth playing if I'm more of a Western RPG sort of guy?

Well, let's see.

I tend to be turned off by things like Dragon's Quest etc and the, for want of a better word, "Japaneseness" of those types of games.

There's certainly, uh, "Japaneseness" in abundance, but I wouldn't call it exorbitantly prohibitive in that respect, either.

Things like overly angsty characters,

There is angst where it's called for, yes. But the characters all feel real, and the player can easily sympathize with them.

screeds of text

There's quite a bit of text in the game, but most of it pertains to NPC interaction and sidequests, so it's mostly optional. As far as the main quest goes, it's voiced for the most part.

and menus out the wazoo are not my thing.

Menus are painless to navigate.

However I'm hankering for some really good, fun adventuring and so it's on my radar.

Trust me when I say the siren song of adventure, in this game, is inescapable. I'd love to show you a video of its various locations, but you'll definitely want to discover and explore them on your own. If you actually end up getting it, that is.

Anywho, just finished Gaur Plains. Four hours. It took me four hours to get through the whole thing. And I'm going to go back on what I previously said: Gaur Plains is the most meticulously designed area I've ever seen in a game. Just... wow.

DekuLink

About the ZI rumor, could one of our Japanese speaker take this:

And tell me if it's actually well written, or if it's a load of crap?

Looks correct. But all you'd really have to do is google the english names and titles and copy paste, from wikipedia or whatever. Wouldn't be too hard.

Banned
Hehe, looks like nintendoenthusiast got my email about Sony and Microsoft talking to each other

Kidding of course :p

Uh...what? Knocking a console out of the race would actually drop development costs a nice bit. What you seem to be worried about is that Sony fans would just stop playing games altogether if they dropped out of the console race and while I have seen people saying this (LOL) they will just go to another system.

What I'm saying isn't that they would quit I believe the fans of the company that went bye bye would in turn into fans of the other company...

I still think it would be a mistake for one of these companies to go under....

Not meaning to change topic of the thread, but is something like Xenoblade on Wii worth playing if I'm more of a Western RPG sort of guy? I tend to be turned off by things like Dragon's Quest etc and the, for want of a better word, "Japaneseness" of those types of games. Things like overly angsty characters, screeds of text and menus out the wazoo are not my thing. However I'm hankering for some really good, fun adventuring and so it's on my radar.

The game is basically a single-player MMO. If you like games like WoW, but want a bit more story, then you'll like Xenoblade.

Roo

Call of Duty and Asssassin's Creed are going to be the 2 biggest 3rd party Wii U games for a long time. It would be foolish to at least not be an option for people who want to buy those games even if a bunch of them do have PS3/360. Being on the shelves right then might push someone looking at a Wii U for other reasons to buy the console and that version.

lol
just wait at least till they announce it for the console first.

AzaK

Well, let's see.

There's certainly, uh, "Japaneseness" in abundance, but I wouldn't call it exorbitantly prohibitive in that respect, either.

There is angst where it's called for, yes. But the characters all feel real, and the player can easily sympathize with them.

There's quite a bit of text in the game, but most of it pertains to NPC interaction and sidequests, so it's mostly optional. As far as the main quest goes, it's voiced for the most part.

Menus are painless to navigate.

Trust me when I say the siren song of adventure, in this game, is inescapable. I'd love to show you a video of its various locations, but you'll definitely want to discover and explore them on your own. If you actually end up getting it, that is.

Anywho, just finished Gaur Plains. Four hours. It took me four hours to get through the whole thing. And I'm going to go back on what I previously said: Gaur Plains is the most meticulously designed area I've ever seen in a game. Just... wow.

The game is basically a single-player MMO. If you like games like WoW, but want a bit more story, then you'll like Xenoblade.

Thanks guys. I actually found GiantBomb's quicklook in the end which has moved the game up on my radar a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom