• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

Ugh it is kinda depressing. I understand that they will always be games like this but it was absolutely ridiculous at how many shovelware Wii games they were. Nintendo needs to do something about that if they can. Or at the very least leave that shit on the e-shop or something. There is no need for a seemingly never ending amount of this stuff at retail.

sealqual_cs_0315.jpg

This had a purpose once.

So basically, they want both companies to be twins and only the 1st party will make the difference. Konami influences the other 3rd party is hilliarious.

I think what third party publishers want ideally is

A) The most powerful possible hardware, because of a belief that faster computing is correlated to higher sales (this is not generally the case, but it is commonly held as an axiom)
B) Identical architectures and features, so they don't have to spend additional money and effort porting between systems.
C) Multiple system vendors, so no one company dictates policy

B and C can be at odds at times, as the point where you have all machines with identical features would normally be the point where you only have one vendor.

edit:
Nintendo said:
sealofquality.jpeg

Yeah, they need to appoint a new staff position with limited Yamauchi powers whose job is to say "no" to bottom-feeder projects and establish limits as to how lazy you're allowed to be in order to publish a game on their systems.

I could well see the industry as a whole wanting both PS4 and 720 to be very similar hardware wise.

Developers who had to work on the PS3 version of cross platform games can attest to the troubles they had with it's 'strange architecture'.

Both consoles being very similar hardware wise next generation would be a near perfect world for third parties but could well spell trouble for the weaker Wii U.

Going on the latest leaks / rumors PS4 / 720 both seem to have 4 core AMD Jaguar CPU's, 4 - 8GB's of Ram and 1500 - 1800 teraFLOP GPU's which would make them around 3/4 times more powerful than Wii U, if the Wii U is as powerful as has been rumoured in the WUST's (Slightly slower clocked 360 CPU / 1.5 - 2 GB of Ram / 500 - 600 gigaFLOP GPU).

Rant Incoming ;) -

Seriously Nintendo we are now one day away from August, (3 months from launch) and we have no word on if we are even getting Fifa 13 / Madden 13 / MoH 2 from EA, Blops 2 from Activision, RE6 from Capcom or WWE 13 from THQ (All massive multi platform sellers).

We have no clue about the OS aside from the very kid friendly looking facebook / twitter rip off 'Miiverse', we don't even know if all games support off screen tablet play or what games will be available on the Eshop and if they will be available to play on the Tablet controller.

They are still stopping third parties who are actually taking a chance on the console from talking about it in 'power terms', i can understand them not wanting to talk about tablet features as other companies could steal their ideas but common, where is the harm in letting a third party say 'its powerful hardware, twice as powerful as current gen', ect, makes me really wonder if they are keeping them quiet for a reason regarding the power...

Worst of all is we still don't have a release date or a price which is leading to online stores listing the thing for 400 Euros and guys online guessing at $300.

We also don't know which games are launch day games and which games are 'launch window' games, for all we know ZombiU, Pikmin 3 and P-100 could all be released as late as Feb 2013.

Im really tempted to ignore the console completely for the first year just off the back of the way Nintendo have treated their customers regarding info and not even letting third parties talk about their own games.

So far from the first botched E3 2011 reveal, to the disappointing E3 2012 showing and now the apparent information black out the Wii U is an unmitigated disaster imo.

This September Nintendo Direct will really have to blow me away for me to buy one at launch and i can't see them announcing any big first party games outside of E3 :(.

At this September ND they better announce a price, a release date, launch day games, Eshop games, show off the main OS, announce what games can be played on the Tablet, announce Eshop games new and classics, show the achievement / trophy integration and announce a fair few multi platform games or im not going near the thing until some more of the games we all want are at least announced / shown like Mario EAD, Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, F Zero, Mario Kart, Smash Bros ect.

Yeah, they need to appoint a new staff position with limited Yamauchi powers whose job is to say "no" to bottom-feeder projects and establish limits as to how lazy you're allowed to be in order to publish a game on their systems.

They seriously need this so much. I mean it was ridiculous with the Wii. Or at the very least don't let this crap out at retail and keep it online. Its a waste of shelf space.

MDX

GS: How much investment is GameStop allocating for Wii U?

PR: We’re excited about Wii U. We think Wii U is going to be a very significant part of the holiday period. If you played the games at [the Electronic Entertainment Expo], it’s pretty cool. I went upstairs and played Pikmin for like an hour with the tablet and the controller, and it’s pretty cool. I mean, the rendering, the graphics are fantastic. So I think Wii U is exciting; we’re eager to get started on the launch and we’re doing a lot to plan for that.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/hardcore-gamers-love-gamestop-ceo-paul-raines-6389133

Oh yeaaaah....

Both consoles being very similar hardware wise next generation would be a near perfect world for third parties but could well spell trouble for the weaker Wii U.

Something like that would be even better IMO because that means fewer resources used by developers trying to develop games for those two other consoles which should allow more room for Wii U development at the same time.

Question: Since Batman: AC is a year old AND sold well on the other 2 consoles plus PC, does the WiiU version even need to sell more than gold status (which last I checked was 500k units).

I wouldn't have thought so. For some reason people are under the misapprehension that every game ever released has to go platinum (1m+ units) before it's a success. 500K+ would be more than respectable imo, and if they decide to actually market the game rather than stealth-release it then it should go gold.

It's not as if these ports have huge budgets after all, Ubisoft recently stated that it cost them less than 1m Euros to port their games.

Hopefully the increased development costs are going to make publishers market their games properly.

tkscz

Going on the latest leaks / rumors PS4 / 720 both seem to have 4 core AMD Jaguar CPU's, 4 - 8GB's of Ram and 1500 - 1800 teraFLOP GPU's which would make them around 3/4 times more powerful than Wii U, if the Wii U is as powerful as has been rumoured in the WUST's (Slightly slower clocked 360 CPU / 1.5 - 2 GB of Ram / 500 - 600 gigaFLOP GPU).

The rumored RAM for the PS4/X3 is 4GB - 6GB of RAM, not 8. 8 is what rumored to be in the devkits, like 3GB - 4GB was rumored to be in the WiiU's.

jacksrb

sealqual_cs_0315.jpg

This had a purpose once.

I know everybody says that, but I know of lots of terrible NES games (most of them). All their policies seemed to really do was limit publishers from releasing too many games in a year - and leading to stuff like the Ultra brand for Konami games.

Banned
I know everybody says that, but I know of lots of terrible NES games (most of them). All their policies seemed to really do was limit publishers from releasing too many games in a year - and leading to stuff like the Ultra brand for Konami games.
Even limiting publisher games would be good. I'd rather a publisher only be allowed to release 1 shovelware game a year instead of 5.

The rumored RAM for the PS4/X3 is 4GB - 6GB of RAM, not 8. 8 is what rumored to be in the devkits, like 3GB - 4GB was rumored to be in the WiiU's.

Didn't the latest 720 leak say 16GB of Ram in the Devkit which would mean at least 8GB in the retail box, either way i doubt Sony will go above 4GB.

The 720 will be imo a living room PC, they want some kind of Windows 8 running on it with you controlling it with their tablet tech, HD TV, the ability to record HDTV, steam movies, music and last but not least play the latest and best looking console games, thats the reason it has so much Ram i think.

It could well turn out that PS4 is the only 'core games console' as in the one that cares least about multimedia and uses a traditional controller.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The last thing Nintendo needs to do is meddle with and restrict publishers. It's that kind of behaviour that lead to issues between the two.

And all the Nintendo seal guaranteed is that the game worked. It had nothing to do with actual game quality.

Banned
Didn't the latest 720 leak say 16GB of Ram in the Devkit which would mean at least 8GB in the retail box, either way i doubt Sony will go above 4GB.

The 720 will be imo a living room PC, they want some kind of Windows 8 running on it with you controlling it with their tablet tech, HD TV, the ability to record HDTV, steam movies, music and last but not least play the latest and best looking console games, thats the reason it has so much Ram i think.

It could well turn out that PS4 is the only 'core games console' as in the one that cares least about multimedia and uses a traditional controller.
I don't need a PC in my living room. I have one already. I want to play games. The best part about consoles is they are closed systems hat are optimized to play video games.

I don't need a PC in my living room. I have one already. I want to play games. The best part about consoles is they are closed systems hat are optimized to play video games.

I obviously don't mean a traditional PC but they want the 720 to be able to do everything a PC / Tablet / HD Cable / Satellite TV box can do all in one and for you to be able to seamlessly switch between them all, that is the only logical reason i could see MS wanting 6-8GB of Ram inside a console.

Considering most high end PC gamers will tell you any more than 4 - 6GB of system ram is a waste nowadays then 6-8 GB of Ram in a closed console environment is beyond mental if it's just for games.

If i had to bet on anything it would be that the 720 will run a smaller scale Windows 8 because of all the rumoured extra Ram.

Wii U should be more than fine if it has 2GB's of Ram, altho i think it will end up with 1.5GB as they try and hit the $250 sweet spot.

JAYinHD

I agree with this and is part of the reason why I more than likely won't buy the next Xbox. I don't need those cost passed on to me when they will have this hybrid machine I only need for games. I have a PC, a cable box, and blu-ray player already. Just give me a game system to play games on. This is probably why I'm more excited about the Wii U than any other next gen console.

Banned
See this is why I love Nintendo. They focus on the video game aspect of consoles. They skip out on DVD drives to make a beefier console for the GameCube. They went with cartridges for the N64 to reduce loading times and have better textures. And most gamers shit on them for both those choices. Like seriously, do gamers want a PC in a box or a games console?

Just thought I should mention that we've been entertaining the idea of that article talking about MS and Sony in the PS4 thread, and I'll be durned there are some actual dots to connect that could back it up.

Will do, also notice you're using your old avy again.

Yeah when I went to GT, my avy said it was time to go back. :p

Anth0ny

See this is why I love Nintendo. They focus on the video game aspect of consoles. They skip out on DVD drives to make a beefier console for the GameCube. They went with cartridges for the N64 to reduce loading times and have better textures. And most gamers shit on them for both those choices. Like seriously, do gamers want a PC in a box or a games console?

So we should have an SSD in the Wii U so games run faster amirite

tkscz

*Looks around Gaf

I'll take PC in a box for $100

I have no idea why people concern themselves over how much "shovelware" is on a system.

Not a huge concern as long as there are good quality games out as well. It's just more annoying than anything really. This generation didn't help much either with lack of good mid tier games. It's like you go from quality to crap and these days. It was particularly more noticeable on the Wii as well, without more quality 3rd party titles. Recently browsed through the walmart game section the other day and holy crap their Wii section was awful. Like a good 50% of the games looked like "shovelware". It's just annoying when there are way better games out for the system that don't get that shelf space.

ASIS

Ok, so it didn't have a purpose. Still, they should use it. I mean, if the game isn't that well made, then just don't put the seal on it.

1. That is not what the Seal of Quality stands for.
2. What you proposed is impossible to implement in real life.

Just thought I should mention that we've been entertaining the idea of that article talking about MS and Sony in the PS4 thread, and I'll be durned there are some actual dots to connect that could back it up.

Yeah when I went to GT, my avy said it was time to go back. :p

I could actually see this, in some minor context. I don't see MS buying Sony or anything similar. I could see MS and Sony in talks with some 3rd Parties to make sure they are both similar and to make it easier on the 3rd Parties.

Would you like to elaborate on what parts you are able to back up, or what makes sense based on your contacts/information?

Vargas

I'll take the loading times and pay 50 dollars than have little to no load time and pay 70 for a game. Nintendo sticking with cartridges was only good for them and no one else.

I'm not being sarcastic
6gb of RAM, good lord

I remember when we were all giddy about Wii U possibly having 2 gigabytes of RAM. There's a big chance that it won't be all for gaming, but I know Nintendo could have afforded to make the system more powerful.

But I suppose I'm not worried. Mario on Wii U will be awesome.

Meelow

Banned
I remember when we were all giddy about Wii U possibly having 2 gigabytes of RAM. There's a big chance that it won't be all for gaming, but I know Nintendo could have afforded to make the system more powerful.

But I suppose I'm not worried. Mario on Wii U will be awesome.

Isn't the rumor now that the Wii U has 3-4gb?.

Banned
I'm gonna have to agree with Silas Long that this generation saw the death of the mid-tier game. It was small budget indie games or big AAA games. The PS2 was a huge success because it had games for all three tiers while the others had only two.

The mid tier games of this gen are few and far in between. Off the top of my head I can think of a few that sold okay:

Darksiders
No More Heroes
Red Steel 2
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Madworld

It seems that this gen you either made an angry birds or a call of duty to make money.

Anth0ny

Lol. If Nintendo put in a 64GB one and then allowed for upgrades I would kiss Miyamotos feet. Allowing partial installs like the 360 to spare the optical laser drive from spinning.

Exactly. I'd take a <100GB SSD over a standard, 500GB or 1TB HDD any day. I've been able to make do with a 20GB 360 since 2006.

tkscz

Something has been bothering me, a lot of gaffers believe that by 2014, the parts used in the neXtbox/PS4 will be significantly cheaper, making the consoles more affordable. Why do they think that?

Banned
I'll take the loading times and pay 50 dollars than have little to no load time and pay 70 for a game. Nintendo sticking with cartridges was only good for them and no one else.
To each their own. I'd rather pay the $70 for a superior performing game than pay $50 for a game that spends 10% of the game time loading.

big_erk

Not a huge concern as long as there are good quality games out as well. It's just more annoying than anything really. This generation didn't help much either with lack of good mid tier games. It's like you go from quality to crap and these days. It was particularly more noticeable on the Wii as well, without more quality 3rd party titles. Recently browsed through the walmart game section the other day and holy crap their Wii section was awful. Like a good 50% of the games looked like "shovelware". It's just annoying when there are way better games out for the system that don't get that shelf space.

Yeah, that was my biggest issue with shovelware. It makes it so much harder to get to the good stuff because you have to wade through the crap. I have some really great games on the Wii, but I consider myself an informed game consumer. The producers of all of the shovelware prey on the less informed. Some unfortunate kid asks Grandma for a new game for his Wii, she goes to Walmart and says

"Little Jimmy loves ATVs, I bet he would love this Kawasaki Quad Bikes game."

chris3116

I'll take both PC and a game console. PC to do many things including play video games and a game console to play video games exclusively.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I have no idea why people concern themselves over how much "shovelware" is on a system.

It is only worrying if the "shovelware" outsells the proper titles.
Actually, that's my biggest fear with the Wii U - it wouldn't bode well if that new party game outsold Zombi U, for example.

Berg

Saw this today in the ZombiU footage thread:

take it as a little rumor from Italy

there Are voices of zombi u in bundle with the console,
Two bundles ... One for the hardcores and one with nintendoland for the casuals

bye guys

Would Nintendo bundle a third party? I think I would pick the NintendoLand bundle, then buy ZombiU. Really I'll buy what ever bundle comes in black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom