• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

Even limiting publisher games would be good. I'd rather a publisher only be allowed to release 1 shovelware game a year instead of 5.
Then they would do like the old days and make shadow companies.

Just thought I should mention that we've been entertaining the idea of that article talking about MS and Sony in the PS4 thread, and I'll be durned there are some actual dots to connect that could back it up.

Yeah when I went to GT, my avy said it was time to go back. :p

Bg, is that article suggesting they are building one machine or just making their machines very similar? I wonder how that would affect Nintendo? Seems strange that Sony would do something like that given their propensity to make high end tech. They'd lose their main marketing bullet point.

Saw this today in the ZombiU footage thread:

Would Nintendo bundle a third party? I think I would pick the NintendoLand bundle, then buy ZombiU. Really I'll buy what ever bundle comes in black.
They should give consumers a choice between three games. Let us decide which game we want with it...

TunaLover

Saw this today in the ZombiU footage thread:

Would Nintendo bundle a third party? I think I would pick the NintendoLand bundle, then buy ZombiU. Really I'll buy what ever bundle comes in black.

I don't think it's so crazy, after all the core flagship title showed in the Nintendo Direct previous to the E3 was precisely Zombi U, with non-specific action man trailer and all.

BTW, original game Zombi was the first game published by Ubisoft in 1986 =P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombi_(video_game)

Banned
Wait there is a Nintendo Direct in August? When and for which region(s)?
I'm just suggested a thread title for when it happens. My source Emailed me. The same source who told me the Wii U is nintendos next Console :p

I'm following the formula of every 2 months.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that the "two months" formula is no more reliable up to now.
They changed the formula introducing the "ad hoc" Direct (with Calciobit first, than DQX) focused on a very specific game with a more frequent holding for the event.
If I remember correclty they also specified this in a Q&A meeting, justifying this with the amount of contents to be discussed (too high for the normal two months/generic contents formula) now that the Wii U will be added to the Direct

Sadist

Those were Japan specific Nintendo Directs. I'm pretty confident Nintendo will make it a two month thing. They need to keep their US and EU fanbases/consumers up to date.

They can't afford months of radio silences anymore. Especially when the public seems to like the whole ND setup.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Those were Japan specific Nintendo Directs. I'm pretty confident Nintendo will make it a two month thing. They need to keep their US and EU fanbases/consumers up to date.

They can't afford months of radio silences anymore. Especially when the public seems to like the whole ND setup.

Especially in Japan, where there has literally been nothing announced or shown off.

Banned
Damn you Japan and your early 3DSXL releases! I'm jealous. I demand mine early nintendo!

I'm looking to get into the tales series. I'm eyeing Tales of Graces f for the PS3 and Tales of the Abyss for 3DS. Anybody played them before?

Banned
Especially in Japan, where there has literally been nothing announced or shown off.
They just announced Dragon Quest X for Wii and showed it off. Japan also got a Pokemon reveal and just got the 3DS XL. Japan has gotten enough. It's time for NA and EU to get some stuff.

#SharingIsCaring

Would Nintendo bundle a third party?

Why not? They have before:

spZUP.jpg

VTxEb.jpg

6mBcH.jpg

Donnie

The rumored specs for 720/PS4 are crazy insane (even the conservative ones), if they are close true I can see a Wii situation again =/

I'm not seeing how they're so crazy, overall they're much less than most people were expecting for 2013/14 consoles from Sony and MS and are really quite reasonable this time around (more RAM than expected from MS but looking like a weaker CPU/GPU than expected). Also I don't know how many times the "Wii all over again" thing needs to be debunked before it just dies. The rumoured specs are about a country mile from indicating that kind of situation. In fact a repeat of Wii's situation was never possible as soon as we found out the basic specs for WiiU.

I'm not being sarcastic
6gb of RAM, good lord

Its a lot of RAM IF its all for gaming granted, more than expected, but its still nowhere near the difference between Wii and either 360 or PS3 (Xbox3 would need 12GB and at least 9GB dedicated to gaming to mimmick the difference in RAM between 360 and Wii). Also PS4 will be 4GB at most.

Meelow

Banned
They aren't insane at all, overall they're much less than most people were expecting for 2013/14 consoles from Sony and MS and are really quite reasonable this time around (more RAM than expected from MS but looking like a weaker CPU/GPU than expected). Also I don't know how many times the "Wii all over again" thing needs to be debunked before it just dies. The rumoured specs are about a country mile from indicating that kind of situation. In fact a repeat of Wii's situation was never possible as soon as we found out the basic specs for WiiU.

Pretty much, the 360/PS3 where 20x more powerful than the Wii, if Sony and Microsoft somehow made it possible for the 720/PS4 to be 20x more powerful than the Wii U the cost would be insane.

Donnie

Pretty much, the 360/PS3 where 20x more powerful than the Wii, if Sony and Microsoft somehow made it possible for the 720/PS4 to be 20x more powerful than the Wii U the cost would be insane.

Yeah the system would also need to sit inside a PC case and use some kind of refrigeration unit :)

Sure it did. It was to discourage customers and retailers from buying crap like:
Color Dreams games

and

Tengen cartridges.

It was never meant to serve as a symbol of "software excellence", just a "this is legit and won't short-circuit your NES" label. But of course, the naive child in us all assumed Nintendo was looking out for us....

Actually, it did mean a lot more than that. Nintendo was coming off of the video game crash, where there was so much utter crap hitting the shelves for Atari 2600 that consumers stopped buying games, assuming that anything they bought would be crap. The Seal of Quality was Nintendo's attempt to reassure game buyers that the NES wouldn't share the same fate. And in the early years of the NES, Nintendo did in fact go to some effort to ensure quality - for example, they only allowed a single publisher to release up to 4 or 5 games in a year, so they would be discouraged from releasing a lot of shovelware, and they would be sure to try to make the few games they could release high enough quality to sell enough to pay the bills. It also meant that Nintendo actually tested third party games to make sure they met certain standards before allowing them to ship (like not being crashy messes); this was a new idea in the gaming industry.

Of course, Nintendo eventually got sued for monopolistic practices and had to cut some of those practices, such as limiting how many games a publisher could release... but these days everyone has standards that they test third-party games for before allowing the games to ship, and it's all because of Nintendo's Seal of Quality.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah the system would also need to sit inside a PC case and use some kind of refrigeration unit :)

And also Microsoft would want Kinect 2 to be with the Xbox 720 which would raise costs, I'm actually not shocked about the specs, Microsoft wants the Xbox 720 to also be about media and Kinect so a huge amount of ram would be smart but the cost would be big so they choose a much weaker GPU and CPU to even the cost.

I'm not seeing how they're so crazy, overall they're much less than most people were expecting for 2013/14 consoles from Sony and MS and are really quite reasonable this time around (more RAM than expected from MS but looking like a weaker CPU/GPU than expected). Also I don't know how many times the "Wii all over again" thing needs to be debunked before it just dies. The rumoured specs are about a country mile from indicating that kind of situation. In fact a repeat of Wii's situation was never possible as soon as we found out the basic specs for WiiU.

It won't be a repeat of Wii's situation, but it could very well be close enough if third-party publishers prejudge the system and its userbase as being incapable of generating whatever ROI is needed to justify porting costs... which, in fact, already seems to be the case with current-gen multiplatform titles. That's the more fundamental challenge the platform faces.

jmizzal

They just announced Dragon Quest X for Wii and showed it off. Japan also got a Pokemon reveal and just got the 3DS XL. Japan has gotten enough. It's time for NA and EU to get some stuff.

#SharingIsCaring

He is talking about for WiiU, Japan has not had anything that Japanese focused yet, few games, most of the big publishers have been silent.

I think the WiiU will come out in NA first by a few weeks maybe, Japan is much bigger in the handheld space, 3DS came out in Japan two months before NA.

I can see Oct release for WiiU in NA and Europe and then Nov for Japan.

Banned
He is talking about for WiiU, Japan has not had anything that Japanese focused yet, few games, most of the big publishers have been silent.

I think the WiiU will come out in NA first by a few weeks maybe, Japan is much bigger in the handheld space, 3DS came out in Japan two months before NA.

I can see Oct release for WiiU in NA and Europe and then Nov for Japan.
Has a Nintendo console ever launched outside of Japan first?
Edit: wii released in NA 2 weeks before Japan. All other consoles were Japan first.

Damn you Japan and your early 3DSXL releases! I'm jealous. I demand mine early nintendo!

I'm looking to get into the tales series. I'm eyeing Tales of Graces f for the PS3 and Tales of the Abyss for 3DS. Anybody played them before?

Personally, I really enjoyed Tales of the Abyss on the 3ds. The only complaint I had was the framerate did suffer in a few places in the overworld, though it was more annoying then affecting the gameplay.

JordanN

Banned
I like your Oda Nobuna avatar.
Thanks!

The rumored specs for 720/PS4 are crazy insane (even the conservative ones), if they are close true I can see a Wii situation again =/
This is ridiculous.

The Wii was an SD console based on tech 10 years ago. Unless Nintendo has lied for 12 months straight, Wii U is a HD console with modern hardware. You cannot replicate that difference no matter how powerful 720/PS4 are.

Tech goes forward, not backwards and there are more similarities now than ever before.

Ask yourself why today's mobiles are capable of running the same engines as consoles despite the difference in power being vast. Or why 3DS could handle Resident evil 5 whereas the Wii couldn't even get to the title screen.

The leak that says it has 8gb of ram and an 8 core CPU?

Just how powerful do you think Wii U is...?

One important thing that most people forget about when discussing the specs of the 720 is the DVR functionality. The final retail version may indeed have 8GB of RAM and 8 cores but I guarantee you that half of that will be reserved for the OS and DVR functionality. I can't see Microsoft opting for such a function if you can't play games and record telly programmes at the same time - it would be pointless.

Ignoring the architectural differences between last gen's consoles and just concentrating on processing power, RAM amounts and RAM speeds we should end up with the U being the PS2 equivalent next gen with the PS4 being the Gamecube equivalent and the 720 being the Xbox equivalent.

At least that's the way I see things. Even if the PS4 and 720 have twice the RAM compared to the U we'll see the U getting a SKU of most if not all multiplatform next gen titles. The main problem that the Wii has had this gen, contrary to popular belief, isn't the lack of horsepower but the fact that thanks to the TEV Unit in Flipper/Hollywood means that, compared to the other programable shader based GPUs in the PS3 and 360, has a nonstandard rendering pipeline.

The U isn't going to have that problem.

The final retail version may indeed have 8GB of RAM and 8 cores but I guarantee you that half of that will be reserved for the OS and DVR functionality. I can't see Microsoft opting for such a function if you can't play games and record telly programmes at the same time - it would be pointless.

No, you can't guarantee that, unless you work for MS & know exactly how much effort or usage it would take to multitask certain programs.

At least that's the way I see things. Even if the PS4 and 720 have twice the RAM compared to the U we'll see the U getting a SKU of most if not all multiplatform next gen titles. The main problem that the Wii has had this gen, contrary to popular belief, isn't the lack of horsepower but the fact that thanks to the TEV Unit in Flipper/Hollywood means that, compared to the other programable shader based GPUs in the PS3 and 360, has a nonstandard rendering pipeline.

Gamecube pretty much disproves this. Tech is irrelevant if 3rd parties don't feel there is an audience.

ThaGuy

They should give consumers a choice between three games. Let us decide which game we want with it...

It would still be cheaper to buy all three games separate because they are going to throw in cheap accessories with said bundles. Even more so if the Wii U becomes a hit and sells out.

jerd

So is there any reason why every game that only uses the gamepad as a map shouldn't be able to be also be streamed to the gamepad? To me, this would make the Wii U version the definitive version of every multiplatform game.

Even with all the tech in the world, publishers are the biggest obstacle here. They won't care if the audience isn't there.

I'm convinced that ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3 and Aliens Colonial Marines are going to sell well enough to show publishers that there's an audience for 'core' games. ZombiU in particular is going to sell an absolute shitload imo.

The problem is if PS4 has 4GB of Ram and the 720 has 6GB of Ram at the least and GPU's around the 1.5 teraFLOP region then the Wii U might not be able to run the engines for the big triple A next gen games.

The new engines for games like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Call of Duty ect will be built with the PS4 / 720 specs in mind.

We have already heard that Epic have no plans to use UE4 on Wii U, that says it all imo about the power of the system, i will also not even view the Wii U as a proper 'next gen' console until it shows us something that blows current games away, sure the nice lighting in ZombiU is nice and the water effects in Pikmin 3 are pretty but it really is not a generational leap.

If Wii U gets a custom WWE game similar to WWF No Mercy....my god.

A bit too much to ask for but would be nice.

Until I see that Island mini game posted a few pages back, I'll remain neutral about it. If it's crap then it deserves to be bashed. I wouldn't buy it anyways but if it's actually a fun game, more power to the Wii U. I'm really not holding my breath though.

Also regarding the rumoured meeting between Sony and MS, do you guys think there is a chance they have just given up trying to catch Nintendo ?.

If they have then i could well see PS4 and the 720 being held back until 2014, from what i have read in the PS4 thread Sony would rather wait for a certain chipset to become cheaper in 6-9 months than use it now and increase the losses on each console sold.

The Wii U could theoretically end up being out for two whole years before the next Xbox and PS arrive.

Sony have God of War, Last of Us, Beyond and Last Guardian for next year and MS have Gears of War, Kinect and possibly Alan Wake 2 with both having GTA V and all the other big triple A multi platform games of 2013.

If i was in charge at Sony / MS i would price drop PS3 / 360 to £150 / $200 this winter and just sit it out and reveal the next gen consoles at E3 2013 with a winter 2014 release date.

They could easily sell another 5 million consoles each at that price point and make a killing on all the 2013 software.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Amazon no longer sells Nintendo consoles, and they don't have any kind of page up for the 3DS XL. I wonder if you will even be able to buy Wii U directly from them?

EDIT: It appears they do have a page for 3DS XL, but they aren't selling it directly.

Unless Nintendo is paying Ubisoft a decent amount money for bundling ZombiU with the console itself, I don't see that happening. It would be awesome though....

Amazon no longer sells Nintendo consoles, and they don't have any kind of page up for the 3DS XL. I wonder if you will even be able to buy Wii U directly from them?

EDIT: It appears they do have a page for 3DS XL, but they aren't selling it directly.

Amazon are selling both the versions of the original Wii, the DS, 3DS and 3DS XL in the UK, i think there must just be hardware shortages in America.

Maybe the factories which make the Wii are busy making something else in time for November ;).

Amazon are selling both the versions of the original Wii, the DS, 3DS and 3DS XL in the UK, i think there must just be hardware shortages in America.

Maybe the factories which make the Wii are busy making something else in time for November ;).

lol there are no hardware shortages. Amazon stopped selling the 3DS like a year ago probably because they got tired of the screen scratching issue and so many returns. Seems them and Nintendo had a fight because they aren't selling anything else now.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

It's been like this since last Winter. It's not a hardware shortage. Amazon is no longer selling them. I'm somewhat of an expert on this subject. :p I check all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom